Jump to content

Shadow Honor 1. The Trial

   (3 reviews)
Genres: Fantasy
Sub-genres: General Fantasy

In the depths beneath the Everbright City lies a vast complex of caves known as The Shade. The Underking of the Shade, Salidar thulu'Khant, seeks to free the demons imprisoned in the city above and use them to unseat King Neredos, the immortal ruler of humanity. The future of the world rests in the unwilling hands of young thief and Shade native, Styx, who is thrust into the middle of a conflict which has perpetuated for centuries.
 

Disclaimer: Violence is common in this story.
Copyright © 2018 Cynus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Signature Author
  • 01/27/2018 (Updated: 04/21/2018)
  • 26 Chapters
  • 126,057 Words
  • 74,770 Views
  • 367 Comments
  • Teen
  • Complete

Story Recommendations (2 members)

  • Action Packed 2
  • Addictive/Pacing 2
  • Characters 2
  • Chills 0
  • Cliffhanger 1
  • Compelling 0
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 0
  • Unique 2
  • World Building 2

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 4,723 Words
    • 5,361 Views
    • 27 Comments
  • 2. Chapter 2
    • 3,677 Words
    • 2,901 Views
    • 11 Comments
  • 3. Chapter 3
    • 4,176 Words
    • 3,394 Views
    • 19 Comments
  • 4. Chapter 4
    • 3,419 Words
    • 2,353 Views
    • 15 Comments
  • 5. Chapter 5
    • 6,986 Words
    • 2,665 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 6. Chapter 6
    • 4,389 Words
    • 2,691 Views
    • 11 Comments
  • 7. Chapter 7
    • 5,403 Words
    • 2,270 Views
    • 13 Comments
  • 8. Chapter 8
    • 3,330 Words
    • 2,666 Views
    • 15 Comments
  • 9. Chapter 9
    • 2,560 Words
    • 2,699 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 10. Chapter 10
    • 5,026 Words
    • 2,630 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 11. Chapter 11
    • 4,873 Words
    • 2,263 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 12. Chapter 12
    • 6,409 Words
    • 2,193 Views
    • 11 Comments
  • 13. Chapter 13
    • 5,289 Words
    • 2,963 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 14. Chapter 14
    • 5,929 Words
    • 2,698 Views
    • 15 Comments
  • 15. Chapter 15
    • 2,815 Words
    • 2,472 Views
    • 8 Comments
  • 16. Chapter 16
    • 5,765 Words
    • 2,649 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 17. Chapter 17
    • 4,842 Words
    • 2,777 Views
    • 14 Comments
  • 18. Chapter 18
    • 4,729 Words
    • 2,583 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 19. Chapter 19
    • 3,819 Words
    • 2,315 Views
    • 12 Comments
  • 20. Chapter 20
    • 4,613 Words
    • 2,669 Views
    • 19 Comments
  • 21. Chapter 21
    • 4,907 Words
    • 2,793 Views
    • 12 Comments
  • 22. Chapter 22
    • 7,952 Words
    • 2,670 Views
    • 9 Comments
  • 23. Chapter 23
    • 6,531 Words
    • 2,741 Views
    • 21 Comments
  • 24. Chapter 24
    • 5,068 Words
    • 2,185 Views
    • 11 Comments
  • 25. Chapter 25
    • 8,254 Words
    • 2,512 Views
    • 13 Comments
  • 26. Epilogue
    • 573 Words
    • 2,596 Views
    • 15 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Carlos Hazday

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

I found half-a-dozen typos in 26 chapters. From a technical point of view, that makes this story one of the best I've read on GA. Not many will care, but I do. I'm jealous.

The alternate world the author has created is fascinating. Three castes of inhabitants share it and must defend it from demons? Reborn after 800 years of imprisionment, their initial appearance serves to test the mettle of three young men and bring them together.

Styx, Kirra, and Max become a triumvirate at the end of the book, but dark forces are at work that will test the three. I look forward to reading the next installment in the series.

Response from the author:

Thank you so much for reading and reviewing! I hope you enjoy the rest of the series. :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to review
JeffreyL

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Cynus has created an interesting world and populated it with some great characters! Styx, a young theif from the Shade, is caught up in an ongoing battle. There are secrets and powers and magic and double-crosses enough to keep the reader guessing. I really enjoyed reading this. I especially enjoyed the tattoo magic!

Response from the author:

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

  • Love 1
Link to review
drpaladin

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Cynus has created an epic adventure in a fascinating alternate reality. The society we see has been separated into three classes who rarely interact with each other. We have the Everbright City where the immortal and mysterious King Neredos lives with the higher classes and his functionaries. It is a fabulous place in the clouds supported by great pillars from below. The city of Pentalus lies below and this is where the regular populous lives. Below Pentalus lies the Shade, where criminals and the outcasts of society live. It is ruled by its own king called the Underking. Blazed across this landscape we have magic, demons, fantastic creatures blended with action and romance.

Reading this story, I got the hint of rot behind the veneer of normalcy in the tiers of the normal societies above ground. The people of Pentalus remind me of peasants in Imperial Russia, who believed if the Father Czar knew of their travails, he would fix them, but he was far away in St. Petersburg. At the same time there was a saying, "God bless the Czar and keep him far away from us." You get the same sense of ambivalence here. In Pentalus, the Knights of the Firmament, who function as Neredos' army and law enforcement, are both respected and feared. In the caverns of the Shade, the scorn toward Neredos and his reign is open and intense. He is the one keeping them oppressed and in the shadows. It is a more uneasy balance between these classes than it first appears. 

 

When we first meet Styx, one of the main characters, he seems nothing more than a lowly thief, but we and he slowly learns there is much more there than we can see. A very motley crew of characters assemble in an unlikely alliance against a threat to all humanity. We have a thief, a bounty hunter, a healer, a warrior monk, a knight, and an Under Prince. It is a strange cocktail which provides a heady dose of mystery, suspense, action, and romantic entanglements. It is all an enjoyable read and will keep you going from one chapter to the next all the way to the end.

Response from the author:

Thank you so much for your kind words. :)

  • Love 1
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..