Jump to content
    Cynus
  • Author
  • 573 Words
  • 2,613 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shadow Honor - 26. Epilogue

div>
Check out my Patreon for early access to chapters(note:everything started at GA will be released in full at a regular pace. This is early access only, not exclusive access) and exclusive content! https://www.patreon.com/Cynus

"The plan shouldn't have failed. Everything was in its proper place! How could it fall apart like that?" Fasha glared at the woman on the other side of the fluidic barrier. Veil was some distance away, but through the devices that each of them had, they could communicate as if they stood face to face.

"What?" She replied, keeping her expression composed as she looked back at him. "Are you angry with me? I don't see how you could be. I did everything you asked of me."

"You're not angry?" he asked incredulously. "This has to end, and you know it. Nothing else matters." He sighed and then took several deep breaths to calm himself before going on. "We've both lived for far too long, and we agreed that this was the only way out."

"Have the years not taught you that some things take time?" She returned with a hint of amusement. "You were born ageless; I would think that you would have a surplus of patience."

"Even an immortal's patience can wear thin, you hag," he retorted with a snort, annoyed by her observation.

"Ageless I may be, but hag I am not," she replied, though she showed no anger at the insult. "This was not all for naught though, was it? I was informed that Grim was sealed away with the Ibrix." With a disarming smile she added, "At least that will be one less enemy to deal with."

"You make an excellent point," he conceded with a grin, though the smile fell as he observed, "Prism also fell, though he was quite the nuisance. I daresay we would have succeeded in this matter had he not been freed."

"Perhaps I should not have spared his life," she replied with a touch of regret.

"Ahhhh!" he said with a grin, though it was certainly not a happy topic, "So it is your fault?"

"I didn't say that," she returned with a glare. He had finally managed to goad her into showing her anger, and that was a victory in itself. "Do you think that Neredos would have trusted my word if I said that I could not heal Prism?" She asked with a dramatic wave of her hand. "He would have been on to us in a heartbeat. You wouldn't have freed a single one."

"I suppose you're right," he admitted with a sigh. "So what now then?"

She rested her hand on her chin as she stared at some distant point, lost in thought. "Wait until you can convince the soldiers to strike again. Free some more. I'm told that at least one got away, maybe you could twist that to your advantage."

"Perhaps . . ." He said, not liking the prospects that sat before them. "I will think on this more. I will contact you again in a week's time."

"Understood. Fasha . . ." She said, stopping him before he could turn off the device that kept their communications open.

"Yes, Veil?" Fasha replied, removing his hand from the dial.

"Please don't kill my son," Veil said simply, pleading with her eyes.

"I can't make any promises," Fasha replied, showing his regret with his eyes. "Maxthane got in the way today, and I'm surprised he survived. If he gets in the way again, I'll have to. We can't afford any more nuisances."

"Fasha," Veil said dangerously, "Don't."

With another sigh Fasha whispered, "As you wish."

div>
Check out my Patreon for early access to chapters(note:everything started at GA will be released in full at a regular pace. This is early access only, not exclusive access) and exclusive content(stories posted only at Patreon as of this posting)! https://www.patreon.com/Cynus

Special thanks to my patrons for their support: Michael, Charlie, Bill, Paul, Matt, James, Shadow, Joe, Bart, John, Mark, Sam, Pete, Richmond, Scott, Frank, Amr, Haldon, Jay, Mark, Joel, Steve, Don, Jos, Peter, Chris, Heiko, Jeff, Frapsity, Raymond, Ganymedes, Jerod, Mike, Craig, Jack, Pooven, and YOUR NAME HERE. You're all awesome!
 
Come join us at the forum for the story discussion!

Copyright © 2018 Cynus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 3
  • Wow 8
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Book 2 will begin posting sometime next week! Either Wednesday or Saturday.  Thanks for joining me!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

The epilogue was brief, but very revealing. My supposition that Veil was working with Fasha, one of three possibilities, was correct. As close and trusted by Neredos as she is, she will be a serious problem in the future. She must be the reason Neredos dismissed Grim's activities so easily. Sweet whispering poison. Veil is revealed as Maxthane's mother and she still loves him. The next book will be very interesting.

 

The communication device was also the first indication of any advanced technology. Is this a relic from a more advanced past or something developed by Veil to communicate with Fasha?

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 4
Link to comment

You #@#*#$¢¥|{^¶$ :P

That's not a cliff, that the edge of that abysm:P

But it was greatly informative, something major had to happen to corrupt Veil against Neredos and her own brother. Does it has anything to do with how and why the hero Fedain, Oracle of Everbright City, has a son with the Shade Under King?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Grim himself warned Prism that Veil had changed greatly and wasn't the same as she had been back during the demon wars. We just never knew how twisted that change had been and Grim never elaborated on it. Grim also sensed Maxthane was Veil's son, but stopped short of revealing it. Salidar wasn't close in Veil's heart or thoughts. He seems to have been little more than a means to an end. Is Max intended by her to be the ultimate counterpoint to Neredos?

  • Like 4
Link to comment

That traitorous, evil #@#*#$¢¥|{^¶$! (Thanks for the verbage Sweetlion). I must admit I am shocked. I really didn't think it would be Veil. She was doing to Neredos what Fasha was doing to Salidar. I so can't wait to find out what the hell happened to turn her like that. I know Grim said she had changed but I assumed that meant 'over the years' as in how everyone does. Not like from "Glinda-the-Good-Witch-of-the-North-to-Evilline-the-Wicked-Witch-of-the-West" changed!?!?

I suppose at least that means that Neredos is just an idiot and not actually evil.

Plus she's Max's Mother? Another back story I can't wait for. If she is hoping/expecting to use him in her quest, I think she has totally misjudged/mishandled that one. Although, I am not sure that that was her original intention. I hope that it is not Grim or Max that end up having to delete her.

Wow. That's all I have to say in the end. Just, wow!

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Either Veil change greatly since the Demon era, or she didn't change at all... Wasn't someone from this world that opened the portal that summoned the demons? 

And for Max or Grim to defeat her... How do Fedains kill each other? Of course there are weapons, but with there skills, does it depends on who has bigger life-energy pool?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Betrayal all around... With Neredos so far away from reality, floating in his own importance Veil will have lots of opportunity to do evil. The boys better prepare. Too bad they don't know who they are up against... 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I believe Prism felt the duplicitousness in Veil and that was why he insisted that Styx free Grimm and consort with Ghayle. Probably the only two who could assist the 3 young men deal with a pairing like that of Veil and Fasha . Veils feelings for Max are probably the seeds of her undoing. That said , thank you ... a thoroughly enjoyable read . 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I finally caught up. My guess is that Veil isn’t as secret as she thinks. Perhaps her brother is aware of her scheming. My observation that she is Max’s mother was correct. Since Fasha worked with Salidar, I’d say he and Veil have been in cahoots for awhile.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..