Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Fall - Blurred Edges Entry

Ember Days - 1. Ember Days

Ember Days

“This old mansion looks like a palace in a fantasy movie,” Sally said to her husband as they ascended the stairs to the wide entrance of the hotel.

“Uh,” Sally cried out when she stumbled.

Her husband, Tom, jumped forward to stop her from falling down the stairs. Sally took a deep breath and smoothed down her jacket.

“A broken step,” Tom said, pointing at the step, then took another bite of the turkey sandwich that he had bought in a diner on their way to the hotel.

“Eat this up,” Sally hissed. “We can’t go into this expensive hotel with you munching on a sandwich.”

“I was hungry,” Tom replied. “We won the stay in this hotel. It’s our prize. They can’t throw us out.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure if I were you,” Sally said drily. She held up her hand and looked at her topaz ring. “I think Mom’s ring looks good on my finger. It shows we’re not people without money.”

“They’ll find out soon enough,” Tom said and swallowed the rest of his sandwich. “I wonder who the other couple is? They said another couple won the same prize and will stay here the same weekend.”

“We don’t have to talk with them,” Sally said, looking up to the entrance. “Why is nobody coming down to help us with the luggage?”

Tom shrugged. “It seems the place is not so expensive after all,” he replied, then took up the suitcase that he had placed on a step of the stairs.

Sally seized her oversized handbag tighter. A cold chill ran down her spine. “Are you certain it’s the correct hotel?” she asked in a low voice.

“Yes, according to the GPS,” Tom said. “And look, the name of the hotel is Ember, like the name in the letter.” He spelled the word.

“Wasn’t it Amber?” Sally asked.

“That’s what I said,” Tom replied.

“That’s not what you said,” Sally said. “It’s Amber in the letter, with an A. This hotel’s name is Ember, with an E.”

Tom shrugged. “They probably misspelled the name,” he said. “The GPS can’t be wrong.”

He continued climbing the staircase with the heavy suitcase in his hand. Sally looked after him, but felt unable to move. The chilling feeling was getting stronger. Cold sweat covered her forehead and her heart raced. Something was wrong with her eyes. Her field of vision had narrowed and the edges were blurred. Was she fainting?

Sally winced at the sight of a huge shadow flying by. She shook her head forcefully, but then saw another fleeting movement out of the corner of her eye. She turned her head abruptly. Despite her blurred vision, she made out a huge black bat dashing towards her. The noise of its fluttering wings was loud and daunting. The bat was of tremendous size. Its mouth was wide open. Sally saw long and sharp teeth. For a moment, she stood paralyzed from shock.

And then she was yelling. Tom spun around and saw the bat’s mouth close around Sally’s head. He heard a horrible noise when the monster tore off his wife’s head. Tom dropped the suitcase and fled. He ran up the stairs, yelling in horror. The last thing he heard was a snickering that came from the top of the stairs. A hoarse voice was chanting a rhyme:

“Ashes to ashes when the bat plays.
Hooray! Hooray!
Dust to dust on ember days.”

And then the bat seized Tom.

 

 


 

2015 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 6
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Fall - Blurred Edges Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

There's a sense of foreboding as Sally and Tom make their way up the stairs of the creepy hotel...then bam! The bat makes its appearance and confirms that all is not well at Hotel Amber/Ember. The chanting song at the end reminds me of A Nightmare on Elm Street. Nicely done. So much was conveyed in so few words. That's very hard to do well, but you do a great job of it. I liked it just as much as when I read it the first time. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Dolores you have such and economy of words here. You really create a mood and deliver on it in spades. Great story. Really enjoyed the horror of it and the chant at the end was the icing on the cake. So glad you added this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Were they at the wrong place (Amber vs Ember)? Where was the other couple? Was this an early Halloween story? Inquisitive minds want to know. lol I certainly won't be visiting any elegant, old hotels in the near future. Definitely short, to the point and no mistaking the mood.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This would make a great start to a horror movie. Sally and Tom made the perfect victims. They didn't seem to bright or worldly. Great bat food, I would say. The mood was set with the broken step, as a sense of foreboding entered the picture. It escalated quickly and concisely. Well done... cheers... Gary.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..