Jump to content
    Drew Payne
  • Author
  • 391 Words
  • 929 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Keeping the Faith - 4. August 1991, One Day Later

Michael looked at his watch and saw it was past a quarter-to-seven. He had been waiting here now for over an hour and there was still no sign of Ken.

All day at work he had told himself that he wouldn't go anywhere near the Common. What had happened with Ken, yesterday, had been a mistake and was never to be repeated. As soon as he got home, though, he'd headed out onto the common, headed straight for the bench, in the copse of trees, were he'd met Ken. There he'd waited.

He'd been sat on that bench for over an hour and hadn't seen anyone there.

His stomach was grumbling with hunger, his backside numb from the uncomfortable bench and his mind full of confusion.

The previous evening, after his encounter with Ken, his mind had been full of guilt and he had begged God to forgive him. In a moment of weakness, he had betrayed all his beliefs, all for a quick orgasm. He knew God could forgive him but could he forgive himself? He couldn't tell anyone about it, there was no one to tell and guilt silencing him anyway.

That night he'd dreamed about Ken, erotic dreams that relived the sexual act they exchanged. He'd woken up early and very aroused. He'd masturbated thinking about Ken. Afterwards guilt had flooded his mind, but it did not stop the sexual thrill he had remembering their encounter.

All day he'd been thinking about Ken, he could hardly concentrate on his work. It was the promise of seeing Ken again had both excited and repulsed him, but in the end it had drawn him back to the common.

Ken was over an hour late, it probably meant he wasn't coming but Michael couldn't bear to think about that, he couldn't give up hope.

That one time with Ken had made him feel more alive than at any other time he could remember. The touch of another man in such an intimate way. No church service, no prayer group, no bible study had left him feeling so alive. He hated to admit it but sex and his sexuality were the real things in his life now.

He felt a guilty failure, he'd betrayed all his beliefs, but he also felt real.

He stayed there, sitting on the bench, waiting…

The end.


Please feel free to leave feedback on this story, tell me what feel about it. I value all feedback, it helps improve my writing.

Copyright © 2018 Drew Payne; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope Ken never turned up, and Michael had to evaluate his life and decide to follow the only path which can make him feel alive. But I fear it's too late for him, even though he has a model in James.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

I hope Ken never turned up, and Michael had to evaluate his life and decide to follow the only path which can make him feel alive. But I fear it's too late for him, even though he has a model in James.

That's what I wanted. I wanted him to be unable to deny his true nature, his sexuality, and hopefully finally face-up to himself; but, as you say, at least he has an older brother who can help.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Having been raise in a strict Catholic family, I know the guilt that is felt here.  It took me until my 40's to be able to be comfortable with myself and realize I didn't have to be "out" to all, but to myself.  I no longer attend the Catholic Church though the core teachings of Christianity as taught by Jesus still are the bedrock of my own faith.  They don't jive with the institutional church in all things, but I am very comfortable with my faith.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, pvtguy said:

Having been raise in a strict Catholic family, I know the guilt that is felt here.  It took me until my 40's to be able to be comfortable with myself and realize I didn't have to be "out" to all, but to myself.  I no longer attend the Catholic Church though the core teachings of Christianity as taught by Jesus still are the bedrock of my own faith.  They don't jive with the institutional church in all things, but I am very comfortable with my faith.

I grew up in an Evangelical Anglian background. When I started to realise about my sexuality, in my teens, I was told that I couldn't be gay, I had to change or burn in hell (Great thing to be told as a gay, scared, virginal teen). In terror I turned to the Ex-gay movement. To cut a long story short, they failed. To cut a really long story short, it screwed me up for nearly all my twenties.

This was my first attempt to write about what happened to me, to use fiction to try and explain what happened to me. This isn't autobiographical, but I used some of the emotions that I'd lived though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This reminds me painfully of my Aunt, who was a born again Christian and always trying to force her views on other people. She even sent 'missionaries' round to our house and eventually my mother had to ban her from visiting. My Aunt disowned her own son, not for being gay, but because he married a Jewish woman.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Mawgrim said:

This reminds me painfully of my Aunt, who was a born again Christian and always trying to force her views on other people. She even sent 'missionaries' round to our house and eventually my mother had to ban her from visiting. My Aunt disowned her own son, not for being gay, but because he married a Jewish woman.

@Mawgrim,

I was like your aunt when I was a teenager. I'd didn’t sent missionaries around to other people but I was always forcing my views onto them and telling them how they were "wrong". I look back at myself then and shudder, I saw everything as black and white, right and wrong. Of course that was all until I had to face up to my sexuality and that smashed all that self-righteousness.

I'm afraid that fundamentalist Christians don't just screw up gays. I have kept contact with only three other people from my Evangelical days, two of them are straight and one is a Lesbian, and all of them had their sexualities screwed up by what they were taught and forced to believe. None of them are Christians now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..