Jump to content
    flawlesss
  • Author
  • 8,495 Words
  • 2,363 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Enchanted Life - 5. Chapter 5 Tournament

Weeks elapsed, and I wasn’t the new kid at the academy anymore. Especially, after the party we snuck out to weeks ago.

Aaronn said: “Keep in touch.” The night at the party. But we haven’t been keeping in touch. We haven’t spoken two words to each other since then. When I saw his white hair treading the halls of Celestial, we didn’t exchange glances or any type of communication.

Maybe it was just a one night thing. Maybe he was too drunk that night to remember how he acted. Whatever happened, was probably for the best. Because when Aaronn seized my arm by surprise, he reminded me of my dad. That was the part I didn’t understand. Why would he start being so aggressive for no good reason?

Chance was still doing his late night visits. I guess he was pretty good at sneaking around the school, because he still hadn’t got caught. When he visited, he needed someone to listen to him, to give him advice about his girlfriend.

His girlfriend situation was getting worse. I told him, the only way she will learn to appreciate him is: if he breaks up with her.

My idea was to help him see she was playing with him. It was best to be out of the crazy girlfriend situation. Chance was caught in a cycle of being hurt over and over again. Because he didn’t have the heart to break up with somebody first.

I felt sorry for him.

If he only knew the girl is probably laughing at him, and she thinks of him as weak, He could find the heart to get rid of her.

Chance was smart. He was one of the top fighters in his group. He was kind. The only problem was, he fell in love with a girl who obviously didn’t feel the same in return. He couldn’t find a way to cope with his feelings.

The saddest story he shared with me about his girlfriend, was when he went online to purchase her a ring that cost about five hundred dollars. He shipped the ring to her. He was wanting to surprise her, and give a token of his love to her. He expected her to cry, scream or get super excited when she saw the expensive ring.

The exact opposite reaction happen when the girl got the ring. She wasn’t happy. In fact, she was very upset. She hated the design of the ring, and the aquamarine gems were ugly to her.

Nothing Chance did was enough for her. Nothing he did was good in her sight. He was in a bad situation.

My advice wasn’t doing him any good. Whatever I told him, went in one ear and out the back of his head. Sometimes I felt as if I was wasting my time trying to talk to him about his girl.

I can’t believe he is still drooling over her, when she took the ring he bought and flushed it down the toilet while he was on the phone with her! He needs a wake up call! That should have got his attention if nothing else did.

Besides the chance ordeal…

I kept seeing James. Somehow he was around more frequently than before. When I saw him, sometimes he would be talking with his goth buddies, or standing alone with his hands shoved in his black pants pockets.

One morning before class, I walked by him as he stood alone outside the restroom door. I think he was waiting on Mason, or Damien to wake up and join him. Anyway, he stopped me by calling my name in a scary deep voice.

When I got close to him he pulled a note from his black jeans. The chains connected to his pants clanged against his leg when he finally wrestled the note free. “Here.” That’s all he said. It was so weird.

I didn’t know if I should open the note, I didn’t know if the note would have some kind of shadowed hand jumping from the letters written on it. James scared me, and I didn’t know what to expect out of him.

I opened the note, surprisingly it was a plain note. There was no oddness surrounding the letters, no hidden dark meanings. It was simple without any threatening sentences.

It said:

Dear Julius,

I know I don’t smile a lot. I know the way I dress is uninviting to you, but I don’t want you to be afraid of me. The night of the party, I wanted to talk to you, but I saw Aaronn talking to you. Another thing I wanted to say was, I hope I didn’t frighten you when the fight sprung up and I manipulated the shadow hands. The look in your eyes was horrific. I didn’t want my abilities to stop us from being friends. Just so you know, I can be good as a friend to you, as Ashlynn, or Talan. You have to give me a chance… I’m expecting to hear from you soon.

Bye.

I didn’t know how to reply to James. He still scared me even though he told me not to be. I wrote him back letting him know. I would get with him when I could. I thought that would hold him back until I could find another way of dealing with him.

Ashlynn was busy this week. He and Talan was cramming my head with offensive and defensive sorcery tactics. Everyday this week, it’s been long, tiring, written work and physical work. Every minute I was doing something new, every minute I was trying to remember what enchantment worked best in certain situations.

I was getting my enchantments mixed up, and some I didn’t know what they did. I was lost. It was like they were trying to cram me for an exam. If they gave me time to study these enchantments maybe I would know this stuff.

I thought I was learning these new sorcery tactics for my own sake. Finally they told me, everybody has been training in preparation for the upcoming tournament.

I didn’t think the school would do a tournament this year!

I was in the mind set to worry until Ashlynn decided we needed to go to Celestial’s gym and work on strenuous training sessions. If we wanted to be up to par with our opponents, we had to do plenty of work.

When we entered the gym. That’s when a panic of worry hit me. ‘Competition is ferocious!’

The gym was widely assorted with sweaty muscular guys in training. Some from every group was training in different areas. Showing their strengths and perfecting there weaknesses.

I wanted to back out but I didn’t want to look like a wimp.

I saw guys jump roping. In the corners, there were grunting weight lifters. Not too far from the weights there were guys leaping high into the air doing high kicks. Each of them Took turns damaging the sand bag hanging from the ceiling.

My eyes were amazed and intimidated by the skills of these students. I didn’t know who I would be facing in the tournament but I didn’t want to compete with these guys.

A short distance from where Talan was walking. There were guys stretching their arms and talking. Ashlynn almost stepped on the foot of these dudes who were in a deep meditative state. Their concentration was so high I don’t think they would have felt it though.

As we walked by the seriousness of the trainers, we saw everything was being did. There were some students working on using their powers more accurately.

There was a timidness crawling up my back as I stared at these groups train. The gym was humid from the sweating bodies, performing their skills and doing workouts.

When we passed by the Jocks (Brady, John, and Cameron) they were dripping with beads of sweat. The three of them gave me a look like: ‘you shouldn’t be here’. I shook them off trying to get myself ready for training. I couldn’t let these people intimidate me. Otherwise, I wouldn’t last a minute in the arena.

I knew if I would be competing against the students in this gym, I would have to bring my best plus my all. I have to be the greatest sorcerer. No matter if, It includes killing my competitor on the grassy football field size arena.

Everyone who knows about Celestial Academy student’s special abilities, will be in the stands waiting to see the fights. This gives me another reason to win. I can’t accept a loss. I can’t let anyone defeat me in front of a crowd. The audience should give me more reasons to win.

We found an open space in the gym that gave us enough space. Ashlynn was showing me some more punches, a few kicks, and some dodging techniques. My little punches and kicks were nothing compared to these hard hitting beast in this gym. I felt so small.

Talan started helping me review over some enchantments. I was able to remember twelve of them so far. Ashlynn was helping me learn how to draw the symbols to our enchantments flawlessly, and they both found it amazing that I could create high levels of mystic energy at the spur of a moment.

The training was causing me to break a sweat. This was no joke. If I wanted to be the best. I have to train like it!

“Hey Ashlynn.” Cameron said, walking over, throwing a towel over his shirtless sweaty shoulder. I just saw him a few moments ago deliver a beastly knee lift to one of the sand bags. Brady and john were coming with him as he made his way to us.

At the sound of Cameron’s voice, Ashlynn stopped drawing the white glowing enchanting symbol in midair, to talk to Cameron. “Hold on a sec.” he told us leaving the half drawn symbol floating. I can’t believe he didn’t finish! He better not cost us this tournament. “Hold on you guys.” Ashlynn said putting Talan and I on hold, diverting his gaze to Cameron.

Talan was shaking his head, and I was doing the same, watching the two of them talk. Ashlynn better not let this jock stop him from winning this tournament. Because if they put Cameron against Ashlynn. Cameron is not going to play nice with him, so he better watch that guy.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

 

The day of the tournament was winding down. Everybody was talking about it. I pushed myself extra hard. Everyday my training got a little tougher, and harder than the last. I was visiting the gym often; I was working with Talan on physical training and I worked on enchantments with Ashlynn in my spare time.

I listened in class to add more strategy to my learning. I was stuffing my brain with anything I could, anything that sounded like it would help me. At the end of most of my days of training, I would retreat to my dorm in hopes of getting plenty of rest. Because I knew in order to be at my best form for the following day, I need the full length of sleep to perform everything perfectly.

Chance was in my dorm before I was some days. It was crazy because I was starting to think this was more of his dorm than mine. He seemed to spend more time here than I did.

I took a hot massaging shower, to clean the salty sweat and dirt off my skin. The steam from the hot water raining down over my sore muscles soothed the straining aches that pulsed in them. I was putting myself through a lot these last few days. I hope it’s not more than I can handle.

Rubbing suds over myself I kept thinking about what everybody was saying about the tournament. Scrubbing my legs and thighs with more than needed soap, I worried my skills wouldn’t be up to matching with anyone else’s. Applying more soap all over my body continuously in deep thought. I scrubbed harder scratching my skin until there were red marks visible.

I was stressing too much about the tournament. I thought scrubbing would help quiet the voices in my head, but it didn’t. I rinsed the remaining suds off, I figured getting out of the shower and hitting the sheets would be better. If I stayed in this shower any longer I would scrub myself to the bone.

Stepping from my shower, I grabbed the drying towel, wiping dry every wet area of my body. When I was completely dry, I put on my sleeping clothes, and I twisted the bathroom door knob, stepping out of the heated bathroom.

Laying in my bed relaxed was Chance. I put my towel away, and hopped into my bed. Chance slid over closer to his side. When I got in bed, I pulled the covers to my neck, while lying my head on the soft pillows. We both laid quietly back to back.

With this upcoming tournament, I knew I would have so much to prove. Not only to myself but to this whole school. I still have to be the best no matter what!

Chance was comfortably relaxed. He isn’t as jumpy as me. This was my first time entering a tournament. What if I lose the first fight? That would be terrible. If that happens, everyone at Celestial will see me as a weakling, and I am not aiming for that position.

Chance turned his head to face me, his bloody streaks slanted over his eyes. “Are you worried about that dumb tournament, we have tomorrow?” he said, making an exhausted face.

“This is my first tournament.” I made him realize. He didn’t understand the importance of this.

“So…”

“So, I have to be the best out there. I have to prove to everyone who I am, and what I can do.” I let him know, raising my head from the pillow a bit.

“Julius this tournament thing, isn’t that big of a deal.” He said blowing it off. “Besides, how are you going to fight with all this nonsense running through your head?”

I thought about what he told me. “You’re right.” I sighed. He was still turned towards me in the bed.

He was about to flip over and put his back to me when I heard him say. “I know I’m right. Now go to sleep.” He looked at me again. “Oh and try not to lose early, because I want to light you up.”

I know Chance was joking with me, but I wonder if I would be able to beat him if it came down to it. Did I have enough enchantments to beat a guy who could control fire?...I have to stop bugging myself with these ideas.

I slapped Chance on the forearm, for saying he would light me up. He only laughed, and didn’t say anything back. I wanted him to take back what he said. I wanted him to at least see me as a challenge.

I smacked his arm again. I felt a slight sting under my fingers from the slap. I know it would leave a mark.

Suddenly Chance sat up in the bed, he removed his arm from beneath the covers and held it before my eyes. His palm was opened upward, and I didn’t know what he was trying to do or say to me by using this gesture. Without moving, only mere concentration he held his hand open, and a spark clicked above his palm.

I could only stare in amazement as the spark turned into a radiant red ball of fire, floating above his palm. He brought the flame closer to me. I could feel the soft warmth the fire gave off. My room was dark at first but when he created his fire, my room lit up, with orange like colors moving the shadows on the wall.

“Don’t play with fire Julius,” He grinned, playing with the flame himself. I think this was a warning for me not to slap his arm or something, but I could tell he was still joking with me. “Playing with fire can be very dangerous.”

When he moved his hand tossing the flame into his other hand, it scared me. I thought the flame was heading straight for the covers. Then he threw the flaming red ball up to the ceiling and caught it like it was a basketball trick. He continued to play around and grin.

“Chance stop! For real!” I said nervously watching the fire show. “You could set us both on fire!”

He laughed at me, “Don’t worry,” he put the flame out with a quick hand motion. “I have control. I know how to handle my power.” he said in a believing tone. “Now, no more worrying, okay?”

With his words filling the room, and the heat from his flame being tossed around it was easier for me to close my eyes.

“Let’s go to sleep.” He said one last time, before my mind released everything and I let go of myself. Going into a deep sleep.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Day 1. Tournament

The participating students of the tournament had to sit in a different section of the stands than the rest of the audience who came to enjoy the fights. From where we sat in the stadium, we could see the fans on the other side of the stands going crazy.

The crowds were roaring in the bright rays of sunlight that Shined down. Making everything seem extra hot and extra packed. I could see family, friends, and all kinds of people wavering signs and posters high in the air. There were whistles, and cheers from the audience as they cheered for who they wanted to win. I could see children and parents screaming with paint on their faces, some were even dressed like the goths.

I guess you could tell from some of the painted jerseys, and the goth fans, who some of these people were rooting for. They had no real reason to root me on, since this was my first tournament. Through the whole wild crowd, I saw no one supporting sorcerers.

I was nervous, my knees felt shaky, my heart was beating twice as fast as it normally would, and I thought of myself as an anxious mess. I had to take Chance’s advice on this one. I had to think of this tournament as something small, something not important. Hopefully that would help keep me from rattling in my cage. Because I feel like I’m about to lose it all.

Millions of shouts flew from the fans as the fights started to proceed. Once all the fighters were accounted for, and the announcers gave the rules of the tournaments, the matches were immediately underway.

The fights that started the tournament in the beginning were interesting. Every fight, I could see some way or another, how the students training in the gym paid off. The crowd grew even louder with their screams, and thunderous stomping when someone won.

I was still nervous sitting here. Everytime I would hear the announcer call out the next name, I was praying the name wouldn’t be mine. As much as I trained I still feel like there is so much to learn.

Ashlynn’s name was one of the first to be called. I was so scared I had to catch my heart. All I could think after hearing his name being called was ‘that was close.’ I wished him the most luck, but I didn’t know if my luck would be enough for him to win. The next name the announcer called out was John. One of the jock guys who could control water.

I knew this was going to be a good fight, but I was watching Ashlynn’s movements closely so I would have an idea of what to do. I made it my duty to keep a close eye on everybody who went before me. I was thinking I could learn a lot from watching these guys in action.

John’s water powers were excellent. I didn’t know there was so much someone could do with hydrokinesis. I have never seen someone move water with such skill, it was almost thrilling just watching his motions.

One of his first things John did when the fight began was made rain fall throughout the whole battle field. This rainy grass football field could give him an advantage over Ashlynn, was the thoughts I kept processing. I was frightened as they continued to fight in the soaking rain.

If Ashlynn hadn’t mastered levitation during our training, John would have flooded him out in the rain fall. He boosted the amount of water on the floor of the stadium. It spreaded and grew creating a flooding battle field. He was trying to wash Ashlynn out for good.

When Ashlynn was levitating a few inches above the flooding waters, I could see John making his next move in his head. I wish I could yell out to Ashlynn to watch out! But the rain and the ferocious flood was making it hard to hear any sounds. Plus everyone in the stadium was getting wet from the excess water John was creating.

My heart was racing for Ashlynn. John was waist-deep in his on waters. He then lifted his arms causing the flooding waters to raise into a tsunami covering the field with high waters that casted a shadow over the whole stadium. The audience members stopped their cheering to see the high wave coming out of the swirling liquid.

Within the blink of an eye, the tsunami curved over Ashlynn’s levitating form and came crashing down into him, washing him under the flood. Everyone gasped. There was no sight of Ashlynn anywhere. Now that he was under the water, John could do as he pleases with him.

People started hollering and rooting again. While Ashlynn had to deal with whatever John’s plans for him were under water. I could see that John wanted him in the water for some reason. What the reason was exactly, I didn’t know yet.

It was so crazy. Ashlynn was nowhere after two minutes. There were no air bubbles surfacing, there was no movement of any kind. It was like looking into the sea after your friend was pulled down out of a boat.

Get out of there Ashlynn! If you are alive!

We all thought it was over, there was nothing we could do, there was nothing else to do besides give the winning announcement that John won. Something I wasn’t wanting to hear.

That only created more nervous tension for me. I didn’t know how I was going to fight knowing Ashlynn lost his first fight.

Suddenly the waters started to smoke, as if the sun was frying the water at a sizzling temperature. I didn’t have a clue if this was a part of John’s water tricks or what. Until, I saw a white light glowing at the bottom of the bubbling hot water. It was a symbol I had never seen before, or written, but I knew it had to be Ashlynn.

The Enchantment he was using somehow was evaporating the flood waters, sending the water up like vapor. As the water went upward into the clouds of the sky, Ashlynn became more visible. The water levels went from high threating, to ankle deep water.

Ashlynn bleach blond hair was soaked; there were drops of water still rolling down from him every direction. He was standing near the symbol he drew, with his finger in the dirt, as the symbol of white hot light simmered the remaining water off the battle field taking it up and away.

With the water gone, John loss his defenses, and Ashlynn drew a symbol on the ground beside the other one. connecting the two symbols with a simple line. The two signs glowed a yellowish color, and suddenly the ground shook.

It wasn’t long after that when the shaking ground was broken down the middle by reaching hands that had claws on them. The claws were summoned by the connecting symbols Ashlynn drew. I didn’t know what the name of the monster was, and I didn’t know how Ashlynn was able to do an enchantment at such level.

The ground shook more violently knocking John off balance for a minute. The clawed hand continued to rise. The beast or whatever it was, was trying to come from beneath the earth. It was reaching for light, it was hungry for flesh, it wanted its freedom once again. I could hear it in the moans it was giving from below.

The clawed beast reached without sight or knowledge, and grabbed John around the waist, picking him up. John shouted, pounding against the big monsters enclosed fist. He didn’t want to die like this.

The hand dropped John on the grass, I saw Ashlynn draw something else, whatever it was, it was a quick squiggle, and he stood there watching John’s collapsed body.

The clawed hand reached over John, and began to rake its nails through his skin. It was rake after rake, from the giant monster who was still buried under the ground. I know Ashlynn probably had to keep this beast mostly underground to control it, because if he freed this beast from the earth it would probably kill us all.

John was screaming as the claws dug deep into his skin, over and over again, making him bleed, and tearing his clothing into shreds. He tried to escape. He tried to crawl away but the beast’s claws kept scratching him. Preventing his getaway. There was blood hanging thickly in the air. Even the fans had expressions of awe on their faces at the gross sight.

After one final clawing over john’s back, he yelped out for help, and he threw his arms in the air for the match to be over. John had given up!

Ashlynn was victorious! He used a brutal method, but we all had to do anything to win. Winning is everything. That is what everything in life is about…Winning!

More fights came after Ashlynn’s bloody brawl. Much more tears from the audience, more damaged students, more blood was spilled throughout the field. As the tournaments advanced, the fighting only got worse. The students were putting everything on the line for this moment.

There were fights from other kids at Celestial, some I had trouble remembering, and some of their faces I didn’t recognize.

Talan lost his fight. I couldn’t believe it! He fought against Adrian from the emo group. Adrian’s piercings still gave me the creeps, but that didn’t stop him from pulling out with a win. I didn’t see Adrian as a threat until he did his deep sonic scream. At first it only sounded like a deep groan from a whale or an elephant to us in the stands, but it was worse for Talan who was inches in front of him. Being rocked by the deep vibrations.

Adrian’s scream got so deep chunks of the field broke off and separated in mid-air. His deep scream made Talan’s ears bleed, and soon Talan submitted in defeat. I was very disappointed that Talan didn’t put up with enough pain to get us a win. I guess it’s up to Ashlynn and me. Since Talan let us down.

The fights raged on, more students had to be nursed back to health. Others were dancing in their victory. I could tell this year was quite a show for the crowd. After seeing these fights I really hope I don’t let myself down. This is still a lot of pressure. I must win, win at all cost. Win no matter what. Don’t lose like Talan did.

James name was called out. He was fighting against T.J. who was from the emo group. The green streaked dude who could control the earth. Geokinesis was what it was call if I’m not mistaken.

James was using great moves with his dark force manipulation. They both put on a great show for us all.

It started when T.J. created earth quakes on the field. James kept stumbling over the wobbling earth. It seemed he couldn’t get a good stance because T.J. was keeping him off balance. I think T.J. wanted to keep James from staying in on position too long. T.J. knew if James caught his footing there would be shadows everywhere.

It was a smart strategy from someone who could make the earth shake.

James was tripping over rocks that were popping up out of cracks in the floor of the shaking grounds. There was no way out of this disaster for James. That’s when I noticed something. Something I didn’t think anybody else had notice throughout the entire fight.

James’s shadow was missing. The whole time he was falling and stumbling over dry rocks, there was no shadow of his own. During the time James stood trying to withstand the shaking, his shadow remained gone.

James had gained his balance somehow. He and T.J. fought tooth and nail. Shadows, and earth rock was being launched at one another. Finally, when everyone thought they both would end this fight with a tie. James shadow had returned.

He seemed like he was planning this move before the battle had begun. He suddenly shouted, “Shadow bat swarm!” the shadows had leapt from the ground and turned into big black screeching bats. There were even bats coming from the shadowy corners of the field, swarming over T.J. in high pitched screeches.

These thick winged creatures had no eyes, they were made from the darkness of James’s will. They flapped around T.J. as he swung wildly trying to fend them away. This served as a distraction, because James threw his hands forward, all of a sudden James’s shadow left from behind him and ran across the field to T.J. in one movement the shadow of James, snatched T.J.’s shadow away from him.

Everybody in the stands stopped the loud commotion when T.J. collapsed to the ground. It looked like when James sent the shadow out to snatch T.J.’s shadow, T.J. lost control over his own body.

James stood victoriously over T.J. As he stood there, the shadow bats, and the rest of the dark forces he manipulated flew into his open mouth, as he consumed them into his body. Like a black smoke being drained into his soul.

It was sickening; it was almost too horrifying to watch! The audience didn’t have anything to say about James winning, or him consuming his own dark shadow powers. That was a win for the goths.

I have never seen anything like what I was seeing today. The unique ways everyone was using their powers. It seemed like fighting was nothing for them. Especially, Chance.

I found out from watching him, he was skilled with those flames. He won his match against Brady who was from the Jock group. It only took three strategic moves before chance called out “Ring of Fire!”

There was a flaming circle of hot orange colored rings surrounding Brady, smoldering him to smithereens. Brady’s illusions were not enough, the illusions wavered in the heat of flames. Flickering out of color and image, like an old film reel.

Chance was on fire! I loved the way he fought. I knew we weren’t on teams but that didn’t mean I couldn’t cheer for him. I know we might have to fight later on in the tournament. He was my first friend, and we talked about his problems everyday, so I was happy to see him put his girlfriend situation aside to bring in a victory for the emos.

Go Chance! He was definitely on fire, he was hot, he was getting even hotter…. I mean he was really good.

What has gotten into me lately? My mind has been deviating off focus to think about things I didn’t feel like putting focus on. I think Chance sleeping in my room was having…

Never mind.

Anyway... Aaronn’s fighting style was golden. It was like watching someone who never broke a sweat to fight. He wore dressy clothes out on the fighting field. He had a tall elegant stance. He kept his stiff elegant stance through the whole fight.

How did he do it?

He has to be a hard opponent. I think he cheats because he can see visions. So, before anyone can get too close or do any maneuver, he has already had time to calculate their move.

We all watched Aaronn confidently close his violet eyes, during his fight. Everyone thought he was going to fight with his eyes closed. (he probably could) we all thought he was seeing his opponents next move, and he was about to counter it, but you never know with someone who had so much confidence. It would be hard to predict a psychic guys mind.

When Aaronn opened his eyes, his opponent had forgotten where he was, and what he was on the fighting field for. It wasn’t long before Aaronn put the confused mind of his opponent out of his misery. Without taking a single stride Aaronn yelled, “Concussive Strike!” and silently, his opponent grabbed his temple from throbs of pain. It looked like this concussive strike cause mental damage on contact, because the guy Aaronn fought eyes were the size of eggs. His opponent fell to his knees, and then to the ground without moving again.

Aaronn’s white hair blew in a breeze of victory. While he wore only a smirk to celebrate his victory. There was so many things I didn’t like about Aaronn’s powers. It seemed almost like the preps could cheat because they were psychics. It didn’t seem fair to have to fight Aaronn. I hope I don’t have to fight him. I still haven’t forgot that night at the party when he grabbed my arm. I’ve already forgiven him for what he did that night, but I didn’t know if I was ready to talk to Aaronn.

He said we were friends that night, he said that we should keep in touch, but he wasn’t making any moves in order to keep in contact with me. Maybe he didn’t know how to approach me after what he did, or he could have been too drunk to remember. I didn’t know where I stood with Aaronn.

Why would I even be worried?

I heard my name being called. At first I thought it was someone around me, but I soon realized my name was being called by the announcer. It was my turn to fight. I had to earn a win for the sorcerers.

I teleported in a column of blue sparkles to the field. I didn’t need to waste my energy walking down to the field. I figure I would need every amount of energy I could preserve.

The announcer said I would be fighting against Mason who was from the goth group. Which was exactly what I hoped against. If Mason was anything like James, I didn’t want to stick around to become apart of his shadow games.

Anxiety ate my nerves to the core. I could hear the announcer calling out the rules, but it only sound like faint noises to my ears. My mind went completely blank. I didn’t know what to think or do. The time had come and I wasn’t ready. The crowd of people in the stands made me dizzy with their screams. My head was spinning.

What am I going to do?

“FIGHT!” the announcer shouted loud, ringing my ears.

I was suddenly inhaling from my diaphragm, and exhaling. Trying to calm myself for this fight. I was trying to pull myself together. I had only seconds to get my training in order before Mason attacked. I had to make the right move at the right time or I would lose. I had to think one step ahead, I had to make sure I didn’t use all of my energy in the beginning… I had to have a strategy!

The match began. Thoughts of winning and thoughts of training filled my brain. From those two things I was able to go into a concentration, and then I was able to move to a higher concentration. The crowd’s noises that were making me dizzy left my ears; everything began to slowly fade from sight. Everything was blocked from my focus and my peripherals, except Mason.

His black lipstick reminded me of what group he represented. It also reminded me of what he could do with shadows. Putting two fingers in front of my face. I readied my defensive enchantments. I have to be ready to counter any of his attacks, at any time. I won’t be distracted like T.J. was when James called the “Bat Swarm’ down on him.

Seeing my defensive fingers move, Mason jumped back, putting both palms flat on the ground.

The ground began to rumble constantly as he held it there for a moment. There were more rumbles, then came crackling crumbles beneath the ground. Whatever he was doing to the ground made my legs wobble.

Mason lifted his head scowling with his black lipstick, looking at me. “Black souls!” he commanded in a strange voice, while he held his hands over the breaking ground below. “Rise from your rest, and attack!”

At his words, black shaded, murky figures erupted from the crumbled soil in the cracked ground. There were at least five, or six… or maybe even seven. My eyes were too slow to catch on to these fast moving dark figures. These black souls were racing at high speeds, faster than my eyes could see. I felt a horrible presence in the arena with me, something that told me these things meant business and they all wanted to claim me.

The shifting black figures seemed to be swaying forms of black ghost.

I stepped back hearing these deathly howls coming from these things. Knowing that they wanted to drag me away, I had an extra sense that told me these black ghosts wanted my life, so I would be exactly like them.

Using my defensive fingers I already had up, I projected the mystic shield around my body. I didn’t know what else to do at the moment, but I thought by using my shield it would buy me time to think of a better idea.

The purple transparent orb encompassed my whole body immediately. The electric-like sphere was alive with its energy. It was ready to protect, but I didn’t know how long I could keep the shield up against these black ghost-like figures.

The creatures wasted no time. They swam through the air, taking turns clawing and swatting at my shield. It was scary seeing the black shapes get close. Their faces contorted and twisted with lifeless fright. These ghost-like shadows were very angry they couldn’t touch me, but their strikes against my shield grew stronger.

I was depending on the mystic shield not to shatter on me. With every claw and swat banging against the protective orb, my sight from the inside of my shield was wavering. I really couldn’t see much from inside of here because I was sustaining heavy damage. The shield was making the whole battle field frizz, with a static like appearance I couldn’t peer beyond.

I didn’t need to see though. I needed to think.

If Mason keeps these ghosts hitting this shield, my mystic powers will reduce and I won’t be able to hold the shield long before it shatters. Then I will lose for sure. I don’t know what these creatures could do, but I must think before my shield gets any weaker.

At that time more swats landed, Warbling the shield. These things wanted to claw me to death!

While focusing part of my sorcery powers to keep the mystic shield covering me, I squatted to the ground, focusing the other part of my sorcery on an enchantment I would need. I had to be fast if I wanted this enchantment to work. Closing my eyes I guided myself with my powers only.

Using an index finger. I wrote the enchantment: ‘symbol of light’ in the dirt. Inside the shield the symbol glowed white with blue around the edges of its design. I finally dropped my shield. Watching the creatures reacted to my exposure.

They acted as if they could smell my blood when the shield dropped. They all instantly swarmed at me at once, with cries of terror. They all raised their shadow like hands to swat and kill me, but the symbol I drew blew a beam of hyper white light from its design.

Before the dark creatures could retreat from the light it was too late for them. The light had melted their figures, and sizzled their slithering forms from sight. There was more blazes of blinding light shooting form the symbol as each shadow was vanquished and turn into a heavy smoke.

Thinking in the offensive side of battle, I didn’t want to give Mason a chance to hit me first again. “Enchantment, one!” I let out with a roar. “Bind!”

Mason was bounded without hesitation. The enchantment went into effect at once on him. He was wrapped in heavy metal chains from ankle to neck. Seeing him trying to struggle and worm his way loose, I went into another offensive mode.

I should end this quick. I have to end this now. The chances of me winning are low if I don’t take him out while I can.

Thinking of an enchantment to put Mason out of the competition i was ready to let the magic happen. I wasted no time drawing two ancient sorcery symbols on the ground. The symbols I drew were different from the ones Ashlynn drew but it was still powerful enough to kill mason.

Yes, I had made up my mind to go for the kill. I decided if I didn’t kill this goth first, he would kill me. So, this fight ends now!

Before, I could finish the final line in the symbol. I saw blackness. A blackness that was so dark I could only stop what I was doing to wonder what was going on. Suddenly, the blackness swallowed Mason, chains and all. Blue speckles of sparkling dust came from the blackness covering Mason.

What is this? He can’t possibly-

When the blackness left from around Mason’s body. I realized he broke free from my binding enchantment. His shadow somehow ate him out of the metal chains I put on him.

“You thought those chains could hold me?” Mason said looking at me like a maniac. “You see how much fun you can have by playing on the dark side.” Mason bragged, holding out his arm, making his own shadow extend across the field, reaching out to choke me.

I swung but the shadow held on to my neck. I couldn’t knock the shadow’s grip from around my neck. My swings were futile, because the shadow couldn’t be touched by my hands. My swinging arms were going straight through the shadowed arm that was choking the breath out of my throat.

I couldn’t hit Mason either. He was at a far safe distance out of my reach.

“Nice try.” Mason growled, “You can’t hit shadows.” He said tightening his hold around my neck. I was losing oxygen. My blood was backed up in my head. I felt like at any moment I would black out or burst!

“This match is over, witch boy!” Mason continued proudly, “I will finish this as gruesome as possible.” He opened the palm of the hand that wasn’t controlling the shadow arm that choke me. using his free arm he opened his hand.

Inside of his palm something sharp erected. It had a sharp needle like point at its tip. While still holding me in the choke, Mason sent the giant black spike that grew in his other palm, soaring forward. The black sharp tip was shooting for me.

Mason’s aim was to kill me! He was serious about it too!

I couldn’t think because my thoughts were fading as he choked me for dear life. Trying to keep alive, trying to keep my eyes from shutting, I tried to get my sorcery abilities to stay with me because the black spike was swiftly moving over the grass, ready to pierce my body.

I heard Mason’s words repeating in my head “I will finish this as gruesome as possible.” As my vision started to blacken, the world around me did something weird, and I knew I was on the edge of fainting.

I was about to lose my first match, was my fading thought.

I tried gathering my powers at the tips of my fingers, but I didn’t know if it was enough to save my life. I didn’t know if it was enough for me to win.

The spike was sliding to close for my own comfort. The black tip was on its way before I said, “Bl-l-lack…mir-r-ror, enchantment!” I was able to choke out in short passing breathes. Black mirror enchantment may not work, it required a large amount of mystic sorcery. Something that may have been choked out of my blood by Mason.

At the announcement of my enchantment, nothing happened. And the spike continued speeding at me. Mason sneered at his dark force at work. His spike was inches away, about to claim him the victory.

When the spike got too close I flinched, squeezing my eyes together. I didn’t want to see my own ending. I didn’t want to feel what the shadows may have in store for me. I would rather my death be quick. I would rather die than to walk around in the shame of losing.

“Activate!” I cried.

The words broke clear through Mason’s shadow choke hold. Suddenly the black spike stopped centimeters in front of my face. Not advancing any further, it was like the shadow had stopped in its tracks for some reason. The sudden stop in the spikes motion was unexplainable, but at the same time I was relieved to be alive.

Then something rippled in the airwaves were the spike touched. Before my eyes I saw a wave like ripple between my face and the sharp tipped spike. It was almost like an invisible shield was in front of me.

When Mason’s spike stopped, the crowd was wondering what happened. I could hear their chants, become wondering questions. They were probably thinking someone froze the fight or something.

All of a sudden everyone’s thoughts and questions were answered. It was a simple revelation that took place. Where the invisible ripples waved through the air before my face, a complicated, intricate, designed, black mirror took shape.

The fight didn’t freeze, it was the mirror’s invisibility that prevent everyone from seeing it stop Mason’s spike. Which worked in my favor, because neither did Mason see it.

It blocked the incoming spike attack using its surface. It seemed to me, the mirror was invisible until the spike penetrated its dark surface of glass.

The mirror worked! By the Mirror working, and its glass being penetrated, I knew Mason made his greatest mistake ever.

The black Mirror began to drink in, the tip of the spike, and then it started to suck with a vicious hunger at the rest of the shadow. I noticed, the grip of the shadowed hand lessen, as Mason’s spike became the mirrior’s dinner.

Mason was tied to his spike Shadow, and I realized as the spike was being sucking behind the mirrors glass, Mason was being pulled with it against his will. The mirror was drawing him, in too.

The hand released my neck. I grasped my neck waiting for oxygen to flow in, I could feel long finger prints around my throat. I coughed a few times, and heaved for more air.

The mirror continued to suck the spike connected to Mason’s palm along with him. He tried resisting, he tried to unhook the spike form his palm so he could get away. He sat with all his weight on the ground being dragged across the field and into the heart of the glass, leaving a dirt trial behind him. Everything he did was of no use, the Black mirror enchantment would not stop drinking him in to its lair, it had a mind of its own.

The crowd watched mason fight for his life, but the black glass inside the black designed mirror wasn’t showing any mercy. He was only seeing a different reflection of what he was trying to do to me.

When the Mirror finally pulled him completely inside, Mason tried to scream but couldn’t be heard. I saw him behind the mirror’s glass surface. Banging on the inside trying to break free. His screams continued but couldn’t be heard, and the banging was useless.

This was all apart of the mirrors design; it was made to trap you in so many different ways.

“Julius Rainy wins!” the announcer yelled from a loud speaking device, breaking me from my fighter’s concentration. The crowd hollered with zestful shouts. They were amazed at my victory. As everything sunk in, piece by piece, my heart began to fill with joy. My emotions overwhelmed me, and had their way with me at once.

I was one step closer to become the best fighter, one step closer to being recognized as the best sorcerer there ever was….

Wow, if only my dad could see me now.

The characters and events portrayed in this book are fictitious. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead is coincidental and not intended by the Author. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, without the permission of the Author.<br />
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Creepy, I would have said poor Mason but by using a mirror enchantment he only got a version of what he had planned on doing to Julius. not sure what to think about that.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..