Jump to content
    garfwiz
  • Author
  • 3,448 Words
  • 17,675 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Some parts of this story may include descriptions of sexual acts between consenting adult men.  If this offends you, you are not of age to read this or is prohibited then please stop right now and find a story more suited to you.

Warming The Cold One - 27. Honoring the Passed Ones

I tried to get this one done faster but I had to really fight to keep it going the right direction. I hope you enjoy!

It was about 5pm when the last of the people made it over to where the celebrations had been set up. There were tents with basic games, table of food and drinks, and lots of chairs set up. Most of the people were talking and getting to know everyone. Edward and Aaron patrolled the crowd making sure everyone was behaving and well fed. They got to the largest tent that was set up next to a podium and speaker system and went inside.

“Everything looks good. Anything else you need us to be doing,” Aaron asked.

Sean looked up from his plate of food. “I think that is it. Tala and Jay should be here any minute.”

A loud cheer could be heard from outside the tent. “There they are,” Edward joked. “I guess it’s show time.” Edward led the way as everyone exited the tent to head to their seats outside.

 

Tala stepped up to the podium and turned the microphone on. A click and hiss could be heard on the speaker. He turned down the gain on the small audio board mounted to the side of the podium. “Good evening everyone.” The crowd cheered. “I was to start by thanking everyone that made this day possible. I’ll start with some of the pack leadership. Sean and Edward, thank you for getting all this arranged for tonight. I also want to thank the teams of volunteers from our neighbors to the north and packs across the country. Your support is what is going to make this town and this pack come together.”

There was a huge round of applause and cheers. When it died down a bit, Tala continued. “Next, I want to thank my mate, Jay. You have helped me be the leader I want to be.” The crowd cheered again. “I also want to welcome all the new arrivals to the Cathlamet Pack. I want you to think of these lands as your new home as much as they are my new home.” Tala stepped back from the microphone to take a sip of water.

Jay stepped up to the podium now. “I also want to welcome all of you. And I want to acknowledge Tala for his ability to build this community. It was his ability to overcome strife that led us all here tonight.” The claps and screams were super loud this time. Jay turned the volume down until it lightens up, so the echo wasn’t as bad.

Tala came back up and stood next to Jay. “Now on to some business,” Tala started. “On this spot I want to world to hear, the American Clan is back! We are not going to be held down ever again.” The crowd erupted in cheers once again. “We are going to build our towns, we are going to come out from under the oppression, and we will live again. Now that we got that out of the way for the media clips, I want to talk a little bit more about what we expect back home. We have a large group of people that are going to be doing a lot of building. Lights may go out, water might be turned off, the cellular signals may get flooded, and it will be loud. It is being done so everyone will have a place to live.”

Jay took a turn at the microphone again. “If you find you are without service after the workday is over, please let either Sean or Lisbeth know. They are here for you.

“My next topic is a sad one.” Tala took out a small index card. “One of our new families lost a fine man from their lives. He was a brave man that fought to keep his family safe so that they could get here and become part of our pack. I’m not going to lie. I tried to have his body brought here to be honored tonight but the alpha of their former pack told be to pound sand. It is not the end of it but tonight we will be using a placeholder box in the pyre. It will join about twenty others that represent the elders of the Red Pack and it’s branch packs.”

Tala glanced at the card. “According to the schedule I got earlier, we will light the pyre in about half an hour. After that we will be honoring any and all new lycans for their first full moon transformations. Finally, there will be a very large second feast and potluck. We want you to get to know each other, break bread with one another, and hopefully learn to trust your new pack. Thank you everyone.”

Tala and Jay turned down the volume and stepped away from the podium. They met up with Sean and Edward. Edward was reading off his clipboard. “I have Aaron going to get Tess and Karla is already waiting for us by the stone circle.”

Jay nodded. “Good.”

The four men walked the three hundred feet over to a giant stone circle filled with logs formed to create a two-story pyre. On it they could see ledges that had been built into the design that held a large wooden crate. One of the wolves on loan from Toby’s pack was spraying the base of the wood and the crates with a chemical that make it light faster but without smoke or heavy odor. They watched as he finished up and left to but the chemical away in a safe place.

 

From the other side, another group circled the stone ring to meat up with the first. Aaron had Karla, Hank, Tess, and her children with him. When they got to where the rest of them were, Tala instinctively gave Tess a small side hug. “I know it hurts,” he whispered in her ear. “You are safe here and your children are safe here.”

Tess sniffled. She turned to Tala. “I know tradition is that you light the fire but is it possible for my children to do it. I think it will help them. When I explained to them what was going to happen, they had asked me why they can’t do it.”

Tala turned to Jay and shrugged. “You and I set the rules here. I don’t see a problem.”

Tala shook his head. “Is it going to look bad if I don’t light it?”

As they discussed it Tess’s boys tugged and Sean’s pants and motioned to him that wanted to whisper something in his ear. When they had he turned to Tala. “We have a solution. It was Callum and Noah Peck that actually came up with it and I think they nailed it.” He saw Tala give him a signal to spit it out. “You all light it. Callum and Noah said they could share a small torch and then you can have the large torch.”

Tala and Jay looked at each other and facepalmed that they did not think of the same thing. Jay turned to the boys and smiled. “I will have someone grab us a torch for you two to share.” Jay looked up and Aaron gave Jay a thumbs up as he was already going to sort it out.

 

Everyone gathered around as the time to light the pyre arrived. Someone handed Jay the wireless microphone. He turned it on and addressed the crowd. “Tonight, we are honoring twenty true heroes. Each box up here represents a lycan that lost their life trying to defend their family, their friends, their pack, and even some that defended an entire clan. We know that it may be abnormal to some, but we have decided that it takes more then one person to light a pyre this important. That is why Callum and Noah Peck will be assisting Tala.”

A smaller lit torch was handed to Callum. He held it carefully and waiting while the big torch was lit for Tala. When everything was ready, the signal was given and all three stepped up to the edge of the ring. Tala looked over and gave the two boys a nod. “On the count of three, both of you toss it on to the stack when there is an indent in the logs.” They nodded and both held on to the torch. Tala looked up to the sky and saw the bright full moon high above them even through the colorful sunset sky. He turned back to the boys. “One. Two. Three.” The two torches were tossed in the pile of wood. They all stepped back and watch the flame grow and spread. The crowd started to mumble prayers and thank yous.

When the flame had reached its peak, Tala began to chant. The sound of his ancient ability assisted voice caried far into the crowd.

“Bendithiwch eneidiau ein teulu a'n hynafiaid coll os gwelwch yn dda. Boed iddynt ddangos y ffordd tuag at lwybr y goleuni inni.

Feuch gun beannaich thu anaman ar teaghlach caillte agus ar sinnsearan. Is dòcha gun seall iad dhuinn an t-slighe a dh ’ionnsaigh slighe an t-solais.

Алдагдсан гэр бүл, өвөг дээдсийнхээ сүнсийг адислаарай. Тэд бидэнд гэрлийн зам руу чиглэсэн замыг зааж өгөх болтугай.

Chonde dalitsani miyoyo yamabanja athu omwe adatayika komanso makolo athu. Mulole iwo atisonyeze ife njira yopita kunjira ya kuunika.

Prosím, požehnajte duše našej stratenej rodiny a predkov. Nech nám ukážu cestu k ceste svetla.

Please bless the souls of our lost family and ancestors. May they show us the way towards the path of light.”

The crowd stood speechless when it ended. Tala walked over to Jay and took the microphone and turned it back on. “Could we have any and all newly turned wolves please meet me by the clearing to the woods? Thank you.” Tala handed the microphone to the person acting as the sound engineer and walked with Jay over to the clearing.

Frank stood amazed watching the pyre burn. What Tala had done looked effortless. Someone next to him poked him on the shoulder. “Are you alright?”

“Yes,” Frank stammered. “I am okay. Thank you.”

 

It was fully dark except for the light of the bright moon when Tala addressed the people at the clearing by the woods. “Thank you again for being here to witness this joyous occasion. Would the newly turned please come forward.” Lisbeth and Karla came forward as expected but so did an older teenager. “Hello, what is your name?”

“Um, hi.” He looked back at his father who gestured for him to answer. “My name is Trevon Irwin. My dad turned me a few weeks ago. It was right before we had to leave our old pack.”

Tala nodded. “Please come over this way then. Are there any others?” After a minute he turned to Trevon. “Was your father going to join you tonight?”

Trevon looked over at his father longingly. “No, he has to stay with my sister. She’s only six.”

Tala looked over and saw the father and sister right up front in the crowd. “Wait here for me.” He walked over to where the family was at. “Good evening. I believe we met the other day. You came down from Alaska?”

“Yes,” the man responded. “While we could have stayed, I just thought we needed a new start after my wife passed.”

Tala took a second to read him. “I think a fresh start is just the thing. While we normally have someone go with the newly turned, I will make sure he is taken care of.”

“Thank you so much, Alpha.” He shook and squeezed Tala’s hand.

Tala walked back over to Trevon and led him over to the group. “I want to introduce you to Trevon Irwin. His family just joined us from Alaska. I am going to be his coach this evening as his father needs to stay with his little sister.”

Trevon jolted for a second. “You are?”

Jay laughed. “If he said he is, then he is. You are going to be in great hands.”

It was at this point that Sean walked over. “Everyone ready?” He looked around. “Who is coaching him,” pointing at Trevon.

“I am,” Tala answered. “Do you mind taking over so that I can help him get ready?”

Sean only missed one beat before answering. “Yeah, that’s fine.”

“Great! Now we have changing tents over this way.” Tala pointed at two small pop-up tents with solid walls and a flapped door.” Girls are on the left, boys on the right. You’ll find some large towels you can wrap around you.”

 

The group split up and went in the tents. A few minutes later, they all met back up in towels. Sean led them over to a spot just off the center of the clearing. “All right. Let’s start with Lisbeth.”

Lisbeth and Bjorn walked to the center. “Remember, this is going to be super easy,” Bjorn encouraged. “Just let your wolf spirit do the work.”

Lisbeth closed her eyes and saw a medium sized Iberian wolf appear in her mind. It walked closer and almost looked like it jumped on her. When she opened her eyes, the world looked and smelled very different.

“Oh Lisbeth,” Bjorn gushed. “I think I have fallen in love with you again. You are so beautiful.”

Lisbeth kind of half barked, and Bjorn started to shift. She looked over at Tala for an answer to what happened.

“You sly devil,” Tala laughed. “It looks like you have a bit of ancient speak. Didn’t mean to do that.” Lisbeth growled at him.

“Relax,” Jay said. “He is kidding, and you know it. You two go ahead and start exploring.”

Sean turns to Karla and Hank. “It is your turn next.”

Karla and Hank walk next to where Lisbeth and Bjorn’s towel are at. Karla closes her eyes, sees her wolf and in no time has transformed. Hank pets her head a few times before he quickly turns as well.

“Mom, you look stunning.” Tala looks over at Hank. “Take care of her tonight.”

Hank barks and the two go off into the woods as well.

Tala turns to Trevon. “Are you ready?” Tala can see him shaking a little bit. “It’s okay to be nervous, but you are going to do fine.” Tala leads him to the center while Sean is moving all the towels off to the side. “Look at me. I don’t know what all your father told you, but this can be super easy if you let it be. I want you to close your eyes and let your wolf spirit come to you. When it does, it will look like it is walking toward you and then it will seem like it has jumped right at you. Just take a breath and let it happen. When you open your eyes again, it will be a bit strange until you get used to the way your eyes work and the intense smells balance out.”

“Okay.” Trevon closed his eyes and waited. It took about a minute before he relaxed enough for a large Alaskan Tundra wolf started walking into his view. At first it scared him to see the size but then he felt proud thinking he might be that huge when in his wolf form. He nodded to it in his mind and the wolf jumped straight at him.

The crowd looked shocked as they saw Trevon transform into his wolf form. He was easily bigger than all the rest of their wolves. His father was the only one not surprised. “That’s my boy!”

Trevon opened his eyes and saw a surreal world. The colors were wrong but also so very right. Smells started invading his nose. He looked up and saw Tala smiling brightly.

Tala petted his head. “You did good. Let me transform and then follow me into the woods. From there I want you to lead and see if you can track down the others.” Tala quickly transformed and they walked to the edge of the woods. Tala stopped and Trevon started sniffing the air. He turned and led the way while Tala followed him.

 

Frank made his way through the crowd and found Trevon’s dad. “That was a very wolf. You must be proud of your son.”

“Yes, I am. I just wish his mom could have been here.” Frank gave him a hug. “I miss her so badly and he looked just like her wolf.”

Edward walked over. “Hello Frank. I didn’t know you two knew each other.”

“Hello Edward,” Frank said looking surprised. “We don’t. I was just congratulating him on his son’s wolf form.”

“Yes, it is a very handsome wolf indeed,” Edward agreed. “Carry on then.” Edward left the two to talk as he continued his patrols.

 

Over the course of the night, the six wolves interacted multiple times. Trevon was able to locate them without any help and even got the drop of Hank. As a group they cornered and killed a young deer that was struggling to keep up with its mother. Around midnight they had a quick howling at the moon which others in the area returned.

Around 3:30 in the morning, Tala and Trevon exited the woods and headed back to the tent area. Trevon laid down and Tala transformed back. He went into the tent and grabbed their stuff and he got dressed. When he came back out, he pet Trevon’s head.

“This is the only hard part.” Trevon looked up at Tala. “You have to tell your wolf spirit it is time to change back. Do not force it. He will understand and it will look like he is jumping back into your vision. Mine usually lays down and takes a nap but I know that Jay says his will sometimes walk away for a while.”

Trevon closed his eyes and internally asked to change back. He felt resistance but his wolf came back in to view and whimpered a bit before laying down to pout. Trevon opened his eyes and the world like almost normal again. He looked up at Tala. “Thank you, Alpha. You made this so easy. I do feel bad though. My wolf is pouting.”

Tala chuckled. “He is messing with you.”

Trevon looked confused. “How can you say that?”

“I am an ancient-spirited wolf. One of the gifts that gives me is the ability to read the truth in people and their manipulative wolves,” Tala replied. “I see a lot of things in you that you have been hiding.”

Trevon looked down. “I’m sorry. Should I let me dad know we need to leave?”

Tala reached over and lifted Trevon’s chin so he was looking straight into his eyes. “Never. You are what you are. Your father is proud of you and so am I. I can see the hurt you had before. He wasn’t right for you.”

Before Trevon knew it, he was sobbing. “I thought I loved him, and he loved me. Why did he push me away like that?”

“It was not anything you did.” Tala sat down next to Trevon. “When I read your father last night, I found the other half of the puzzle. Your father knew it was not an accident. Your former alpha had her killed because he and the luna wanted you gone. You were too strong, and they feared you would get to a point that you’d challenge for control. He didn’t tell you because he knew you would blame yourself.”

“But it is my fault then.” Trevon continued to sob. “I couldn’t just pretend that he didn’t exist.”

Tala side hugged Trevon. “It is not your fault that you are a stronger alpha then him. It isn’t your fault your wolf loved him. You didn’t do this, and I promise you two things. Your father does not blame you and you will be an exceptionally good alpha when you get older.”

“But,” Trevon started.

“No buts,” Tala stopped him. “Come on, let’s get you dressed so you can get a few hours sleep before it’s too light to sleep.”

 

Around noon, Tala and Jay arrive at the café to meet Karla and Hank. “Did you already order,” Jay asked.

“No, we didn’t want your food to get cold,” answered Karla.

From the kitchen they heard yelling. “Is that you Jay and Tala?”

Tala smiled. “Yes, ma’am, it is.”

“The usual for you four,” she queried.

Jay looked around the table and everyone nodded. “Yes please, Aunty,” Jay called out. “Can you throw that porterhouse in for Karla as well?”

They could hear laughing. “I didn’t forget.”

I used Google Translate for the chanting so I cannot promise it is perfect but it should be close. The languages used were: Welsh, Scots Gaelic, Mongolian, Chichewa, and Slovik. I tried to pick things that might have been used by the different clans based on their origins. I couldn't find a reliable place to get any First Nations languages from North America or else I would have done that too.
Copyright © 2019-2023 garfwiz; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 20
  • Sad 1
Feedback in the comments is always appreciated.
I really do love hearing from the people who read this story.
 
If you want to see a chart of names, please see this link: https://www.jento.space/names
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I missed this chapter when it came out because we were having some WiFi issues.

What a lovely ceremony to remember all those who had been looked over in the struggle.  It was a lovely gesture for Tala to include the boys.  Hopefully, this will help give them closure regarding their father’s death and the reason for it.  I especially loved the prayer in the different languages.  I thought it was quite fitting.

Now, on to the next chapter!:2thumbs:

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..