Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 6,011 Words
  • 778 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 16. Chapter 16

 

Adlai and his followers, after a long spell of travelling, arrived in Sepphoris, and decided to spend a few well- earned days of rest. And there was Maria to be considered. The rigors of travel bore heavily on a pregnant woman. Cephas obligingly opened up his home to Adlai and Maria. Idra, now retired and enjoying the fruits of his labors, greeted Adlai with enthusiasm.

“How well you look, nephew. Being famous becomes you.”

And Idra had aged well. With all the travelling, he’d done to build his business it would have been expected to show in his waning years. But not so. Now Idra, Cephas, and Adlai were sitting in the garden and Adlai cautiously asked a question of Idra,

“Tell me uncle, do you hear from Kirit? Are he and Jalbala well?”

There was a pause before Idra answered. He looked candidly at Adlai.

“You are of course asking about Somya, aren’t you?” Sheepishly, Adlai affirmed with a nod of his head. Somehow, he’d lost his voice. Into the silence Idra responded,

“She is well. In fact, she and her daughter – who was born prematurely – are doing very well. Jalbala has a granddaughter to bustle over and Naarad has a baby daughter who is the delight of his life. I believe Somya is happy with her arrangement.”

Adlai fell silent with the news. Cephas detected a hidden message in his abba’s statement but decided not to pursue the matter any further. It was, after all, Adlai’s business.

Feeling the need to change the subject quickly, Adlai asked of Cephas, “I never did hear the full story about little Amenko. How was he killed?”

At the mention of Amenko’s name Idra excused himself. While Idra was leaving Cephas replied,

“It was a sorry end to a brilliant campaign. Tacfarinas just grew too overconfident.” After taking a sip of wine, his voice became a little poignant.

“The new Roman Governor Dolabella, received information on where Tacfarinas had camped. He immediately dispatched a flying strike-force of light-armed infantry and cavalry and, in the predawn darkness; they ambushed Tacfarinas and his men.”

Adlai could see that Cephas found it hard to recount the event. But with a soft voice he continued,

“The Romans attacked the camp in full battle- order. The complete surprise resulted in a massacre, made all the bloodier by the Romans' lust for revenge - after years of hardship and humiliation.”

Cephas paused and stared into the distance as he recalled that fateful morn which resulted in Amenko’s death.

“Tacfarinas, his guards and Amenko were soon surrounded by overwhelming numbers, and in a fierce fight his bodyguards were killed. Tacfarinas and Amenko faced the prospect of being taken prisoner. Recognizing that this time there was no possibility of escape; Tacfarinas impaled himself on the Romans spears. Amenko died a similar but more lingering death.”

When he finished Adlai could see that his cousin was upset and struggling to recompose himself.

“I’m sorry, Cephas – really sorry.”

Shaking off his gloom, Cephas steered the conversation in another direction.

“You’ve done well Adlai. Very well. Right now, your name is known throughout the land. How do you feel about your success?”

“I don’t regard myself as a success. Sometimes I feel as if I’m just talking in circles. I’m not sure in what direction I’m headed. What have you heard? Believe me I would be grateful for any news.”

“Well, I have sources close to Herod Antipas and I’m hearing he’s keenly interested in your movement. He’s waiting to see how Rome responds before offering any help. In any event, he’s entirely sympathetic. Very much so.”

“That’s just the point. I feel as if I’m in limbo waiting for events, outside my control to give my campaign a new direction. It’s frustrating. Really frustrating.”

And at that point, a servant announced the arrival of Simon ben Judah. By Simon’s demeanor, it was obvious that this was not a social visit. Adlai stood up to greet him.

“Welcome Simon. Welcome. How did you know I was here?”

“Oh, I have my own spies whose task it is to keep me informed as to your whereabouts. The home of Cephas ben Idra is a wise choice.”

Adlai turned to introduce Cephas but Simon interrupted with, “Cephas and I have met.” And with a short nod acknowledged Cephas. “Your security is my main concern Adlai. Only my close associates – and yours – are aware of your travel and speaking arrangements and that is the way it should be.”

With a sigh, Adlai thanked Simon,

“I’m glad you have my welfare at heart. I rest easier knowing you and your people are around. Not that I’m expecting any trouble. Most of our gatherings have been peaceful.”

Simon’s expression changed to that of unease. He addressed Adlai with a troubled frown.

“Adlai, I’m getting concerned about your brother Tavi.” At the mention of Tavi’s name Adlai had a fleeting memory of that awful massacre. The memory of Tavi stabbing that guard in the neck would never leave him. He felt uneasy.

“As I am too, Simon. The last time I saw Tavi was at that dreadful massacre. Somehow he’s changed, in that he enjoys killing just for the sake of killing. Do you know what caused him to become a killer – a renegade?”

“Well, I can only guess.” Simon looked in Cephas’ direction who, with a slight nod, signaled that he knew where this was heading. Then continued,

“He became distraught when Maria rejected his marriage offer or should . . .”

“What!” Adlai interrupted. “What! What are you talking about? Tavi and my wife? That’s ridiculous”, and then in a quieter even voice said,

“You’d better tell me what you know!” Glancing at Cephas for support Simon continued,

“All I know is that Tavi asked Abir for Maria’s hand in marriage and was rejected - a little cruelly – by Abir. Maria was upset for fear that she might have given Tavi the wrong impression, but subsequently it appeared that it was all in Tavi’s mind. Maria never gave him any encouragement to think that their friendship was anything but that – just good friends.”

At that point, Cephas joined in with,

“Yes Adlai, I know a little of what happened. It seems Tavi took the rejection very hard. Very, very hard. He appears to have snapped. The way Tavi talked to me I got the feeling that he couldn’t bear the rebuff. He decided to take his vengeance by killing as many persons as possible. He’s shattered! He’s almost childlike.”

 

Adlai was in turmoil. Why had Maria not told me about Tavi? Surely, she and her abba knew that we’re brothers. Why hadn’t they said anything to me? After all, it’s important. I’ll have to have this out with Maria and Idra as soon as possible. She must not keep secrets from me – ever!

 

Simon interrupted Adlai’s thoughts,

“I didn’t know you were ignorant of the relationship between Tavi and Maria. I’m sorry Adlai. Very sorry, that I had to bear unpleasant news. But I believe we have a bigger problem. I had to tell Tavi that you and Maria were betrothed. The look on his face was awful. He just turned and walked away without a word. And I’ve heard nothing further from him. Nor have I had any communication from any of the Sicarii. I fear he’s - they – have become a law into themselves. I’ve lost control.”

“What do you mean you’ve ‘lost control’?” Adlai asked in alarm. “Surely you don’t mean you’ve lost control of the Zealots?”

“No, not the main body of zealot warriors who fight for a righteous cause. No – just that some of my more volatile warriors are slipping away to join the Sicarii – and that alarms me.”

Adlai took a moment to respond. Then,

“Well, we’ll just have to wait and see what Tavi and his gang plan to do. Damn it! I never expected this kind of trouble. Not from within our movement. If only I could talk with my brother. We did talk in Alexandria and I remember he did mention a girl he was in love with. I recall now how confident he was about marrying her. Damn it! He didn’t tell me her name. It’s strange isn’t it, how fate intervenes in our destiny.”

And on this unhappy note, Simon departed. Excusing himself from Cephas, Adlai went in search of Maria in hope of a plausible explanation. But a thought occurred,

 

By my own standards, should I now tell Maria about Somi and the daughter I apparently have? Hmmmm!

* * * 

 

 

And the subject of this meeting was in a vile mood. Maria’s rejection had scarred Tavi emotionally to such an extent he needed revenge on someone or something to allay his torment. When he drifted around in the days following Maria’s rejection he made his vocation to kill as many other humans as possible. And he vowed that if he couldn’t have Maria then no one would. No one!

 

I’ll kill every one of Maria’s betrothed. No one will taste those lips or enjoy her sweet body.

 

The attack on the Temple and the Temple police was at his instigation alone. He knew that such an attack would not be sanctioned by Simon or the Zealots and they could do nothing to stop him. He was now a rogue out of control and being a hero to his men – they would follow wherever he would lead.

Into this twisted, naive, emotional chaos came the news – from Simon – that his brother Adlai was to marry Maria. His brother! His own brother to deflower the woman he loved.

Tavi was devastated. Devastated and felt betrayed. The news propelled Tavi to the brink of insanity. Since they had met at the massacre in the temple, Tavi had kept away from his family in general and Adlai in particular.

Foremost in Tavi’s mind was not the fact that Adlai was his brother; it was that Adlai would marry Maria.

* * * 

 

Pontius Pilate frowned as he studied the imperial missive before him. The Emperor's official seal seemed to glare right back at him. Then lifting his eyes he stared at the bust of Tiberius standing in its place of honour in this study. Even the old bastards marble smile seemed to mock him. Lupae filius 93. I know what this missive is about even before I open it. Following an established personal practice, he rose from his desk and, crossing the room, spat on the Emperor's nose. Feeling a little better, he broke the seal, glanced through the opening banalities, and read,

 

. . . and if the reports are true, and in the absence of any official communiqué from my representative in Judea, it would seem that we have a popular uprising against Rome led by this agitator called Adlai ben Yusuf. Any uprising against the authority of Rome must be dealt with harshly to set an example and send a message, that Rome will not tolerate any challenge to our authority. You have it in your power to employ all measures to squash this rebellion.

 

Bovine feces! 94 Where does he get these reports? Probably from spies sent here by Sejanus without my knowledge. (sigh) Now this little problem has escalated into a big problem – particularly for me! And the use of the royal ‘our’ implies that the Emperor takes this matter personally. Canem! 95

 

Throwing the offending missive aside, he called for his secretary who immediately entered.

“Send to Caiaphas, the Chief Priest and his father-in- law Annas to attend me soonest. Also, I’m aware that Zacchaeus, our chief tax collector is in Caesarea. Send to him also that I wish an urgent meeting. Go now!”

* * * 

 

It was morning of the following day before the meeting could commence. This time, rather than his official desk, he used a round table in his spacious office so that all participants could address each other. He began by stating the obvious,

“Well, contrary to your earlier counsel it seems the popularity of Adlai ben Yusuf has grown to an extent we can no longer ignore him. Correct?”

There was reluctant agreement to his opening remark, so he continued, “I have to decide whether there is a threat to Rome or just a threat to the religious community of Palestine. But before we go any further I want to read from an official missive just received from the Emperor.”

And he read out word-for-word what was in the communication. The underlying threat was that the responsibility for the future peace fell on the shoulders of those around this table. Zacchaeus started to sweat.

Pilate commenced by saying, “Is there a threat?” Turning to Caiaphas, he asked.

“How would you assess the current situation?”

“Well . . . he’s not advocating armed insurrection, particularly against Rome. He’s promoting improvements in both the way taxes are gathered and the basic doctrine of our religion. We can forestall any religious changes as we have the numbers in the Grand Sanhedrin but as to the tax gathering that’s within your domain."

Pilate turned to Zacchaeus and enquired,

“What say you Zacchaeus, do you believe there is any threat to Roman taxes?”

“Yes Lord, I do! If local Rabbi’s were to collect taxes they would be sympathetic to the local congregation and perhaps yield to pleas of hardship.” And paused,

 

Of course, the Chief Rabbi would then be the collector of all taxes and he would enjoy the gains that I presently enjoy. I wonder if Pilate sees where this going!

 

“I fear,” responded Pilate. ‘That such a change would place too many demands on you Caiaphas. You have your religious duties to occupy you and I wouldn’t want to add more to your workload. No – that would never do.”

Caiaphas, a little angry of being deprived of an additional source of revenue responded,

“Well, it seems we at an impasse. Rome, of course, will not change the system of tax gathering and as we really don’t have any grounds to charge ‘ben Yusuf’ for religious malpractice, so it seems we should ride out this popular groundswell and let it die a natural death.”

Pilate was about to respond, when Annas, who had been quietly listening to the conversation, exploded. “Caiaphas, you are such a ninny! You don’t have any balls! Arrest ben Yusuf and bring him before the grand Sanhedrin charged with blasphemy! We have the numbers, you stupid boy, to push the charge through and make it stick. After that, we hand the troublemaker over to you Pilate and you can execute him. End of story. Problem solved!”

“You can do this?” said a very amused Pilate. “You can just charge him without having to prove your case?”

“Well, I would. It’s only that my effete son-in-law is such a ninny, that we’re even hesitating!”

 

What a bloodthirsty old bastard is Annas. He has the attitude of a tyrant and if I let him have his way, the situation will surely get out of control.

 

“Thank you Annas. It’s gratifying to listen to a man of action. However, I would prefer to see how the situation develops before taking any drastic measures. But know this. If I have to act, I’ll call upon you to take action as you have outlined. I believe this is the most reasonable course to take at this point.”

“Well, I hope you know what you’re doing. I’d bring the blasphemer in for justice immediately and let there be an end to it. But it’s your decision Pilate. Yours!”

“Ok. Now I want to keep a closer eye on ‘ben Yusuf’. Do we know what his movements are?” To this Caiaphas responded,

“No, we haven’t considered him a problem up till now. I’ll have my spies make fresh endeavors to locate his whereabouts.”

* * * 

 

That same night, nature unleashed it’s fury on the populace and land of Palestine. During the afternoon, a front of warm air moved in from the sea and humidity began to rise, making many people uncomfortable. Then, as the sun began to set, a large body of cold air fell down from the Northern Mountains and collided with the warm air.

The result was spectacular. The storm was heralded by a violent clap of thunder followed by shards of deadly lightning streaking across the sky. Then as the intensity grew, the lightning became almost continuous and the thunder so loud that it became unbearable. At several places, lightening brought down trees and started fires. And then the wind came.

Maniacal gusts swept through villages stripping roofs and created added danger with flying projectiles. Fear of the tempest kept people inside their houses huddled together in terror. Animals whimpered and became frenzied as the thunderstorm raged.

Anyone caught out in the open without shelter suffered life-threatening injuries. But not a soul ventured outside while nature demonstrated its disdain for mere humans. And only the blind and deaf could enjoy any sleep during the violence. It was a night of fear and apprehension for most citizens as they huddled together while wind, lightning, and thunder blazed across the land.

But as dawn approached, the storm slowly abated, so some were able to get a few hours of restless sleep.

* * * 

 

Like most citizens, Pilate had slept little during the violence. As the first hint of the coming sunrise appeared, he fell into a troubled slumber.

And then, as he was just falling into a proper sleep, he was shaken awake by his body slave.

“Master! Master. Wake up. Wake up! Master – please wake up.” Pilate came slowly out of his stupor and snarled harshly,

“What is it? What? I’ve been awake all night with the storm. Let me get some sleep you moron or I’ll give you a good whipping. I’ve got a busy . . .”

“Master! You have to come and see. It’s awful. People are gathering at the spectacle. If I didn’t wake you up to witness this terrible sight, you would surely whip me.”

“What is it? What is it that makes you risk a beating to wake me up to see? What?”

“Come see for yourself, Master. Here I’ll help you with your tunic. And a contingent of guards is awaiting you for your protection.”

Pilate, grumbling and cursing, finally was appropriately dressed and escorted by his personal guards out into the forum. There at the end a crowd had gathered, but they were oddly quiet.

The crowd parted to let Pilate and his guards through. At first, Pilate could hardly believe his eyes as he beheld the awful spectacle before him. Behind him, one of the guards vomited.

A man had been crucified, not on the conventional way with arms outstretched, but with hands and feet nailed to a single upright beam of wood. This was an ancient and extremely cruel and painful way to crucify anyone. The method hadn’t been used for many years as it was judged too cruel.

The victim not only succumbed to loss of blood but to death by asphyxiation. With hands nailed above, the lungs were collapsed by gravity, and made breathing almost impossible. It was a slow, painful, and brutal death.

Pilate was stunned. Then he looked at the blood- stained battered face of the victim – and recoiled. It was Zacchaeus! Zacchaeus who only yesterday had sat at the conference table with Pilate. Zacchaeus – dead! It was clear that the tax collector hadn’t been murdered – he’d been executed, because around his neck hung a sign,

 

Mortem Romam et omnes Romani 96

 

But the horror did not end there, for at the victim’s feet sat a bust of Tiberius with excrement smeared all over.

Revulsion was replaced by anger, which was then replaced by fear. There was no doubting the message being conveyed. It was an attack on the Emperor and as such, a challenge to Pilate, personally. Unless Pilate took immediate and harsh action, it could mean his own life would be forfeit. And Pilate, if nothing else, was a survivor.

Turning his back on the offensive spectacle, he said to the head guard, “Find me this man called Adlai ben Yusuf – and arrest him immediately.

Also send to the Chief Priest Caiaphas to attend me soonest.”

* * * 

 

The news of the execution of Zacchaeus and defacement of Tiberius’ statue spread rapidly throughout the land. It was received enthusiastically by a people long traumatized by subjugation and occupation. So used to being oppressed, demoralized, and exploited they were galvanized by the longing of all imprisoned people – to fight back.

Riots broke out in some of the larger towns and tax collectors were savagely beaten. Unpopular Rabbis were dragged outside their synagogues and beaten.

Into this scenario, Simon breathlessly arrived at Idra’s home. He ushered Adlai urgently into the garden where they were joined by Cephas.

“Adlai, the governor has issued an order for your arrest. You must flee from here to a safe place that only our Zealots and I know about. You’ll be safe there.”

This was Simon’s earnest plea to Adlai. Then from Cephas,

“Yes cousin, the Romans are blaming you for inflaming the people. They need a scapegoat – and that’s you. You and Maria must go from here.”

Adlai looked at his two friends and felt like giving into despair. Quietly he said – almost to himself,

“Why must I always have to flee from danger? . . . Why? First, I ran away to Hindustan, then from there to Aegypt, then from there to Qumran and now you ask me to escape from Sepphoris to who knows where! . . . Why? Why is it always so?”

There was a note of despair in Adlai’s voice and Cephas became concerned for his friend and cousin.

“I feel sorry for you cousin, really sorry. But sometimes greatness is accompanied by struggle and the lives of great men are often troubled.”

“But I’m not a great man. . . I’m not! It’s just me Cephas. Adlai! Who was so timid he screamed and cried at the sight of blood. Remember - that long ago day, when the bird pounced on the rabbit? Remember? And I cried like a little girl. I’m not a great man.”

And Simon responded with,

“You are beloved by our people, Adlai. You have given them hope that there will be changes coming to ease their burden. If every one of our citizens were to become warriors, we could raise such an army to sweep all gentiles into the sea and reclaim our heritage. What you have done Adlai, in so short a time, is to inspire all of us to want a better life. That is why you’re so important and that is why I must ensure your safety.”

And in an intimate gesture, Simon placed his hand on Adlai’s shoulder and urged him to,

“Come with me now, Adlai. You and Maria. We must ensure that she and the child are not harmed. Come –please!”

* * * 

 

After ensuring Adlai and Maria’s protection at a safe house in Tiberius, Simon went searching for Tavi. A grim Simon found him at one of the Zealot encampments.

The two men faced each other, supposedly out of earshot of other Sicarii. This was a showdown long in the making, and in fact, very much overdue. Tavi faced Simon belligerently. He stood with feet apart, hands on hips and with his jaw set pugnaciously. On the other hand Simon was just plain furious.

“You stupid boy! It was you wasn’t it? You, who murdered Zacchaeus”, When there was no denial from Tavi, Simon became contemptuous.

“Do you have any idea what your deed has done? Do you? Right at this moment, Roman troops are searching for your brother to arrest him. Your brother Tavi - not you. It’s you they should be hunting and believe me if they were to search for you I, for one, wouldn’t offer you any help. You’re stupid! You’re just a worthless little child with big muscles and nothing between his ears.”

By this time, Tavi was enveloped in a red haze of fury.

“And you’re just a little man with a big mouth. That’s all you do - talk. My Sicarii and me are men of action. We do things whereas you only debate what should be done. You’re pathetic. And so is my brother. All this talk of love and forgiveness - Beitsim! 97 Makes me want to puke. He’s always been a little Hatichat harah! 98-a little girl afraid of the sight of blood.”

“Oh you’re so wrong Tavi. So very, very wrong. Your brother is a great man whereas you’re just a nasty little boy who will forever have to live in the shadow of his brother. Even though we have him cosseted away in our safe house in Tiberius his influence continues to grow. On the hand, you! – You'll always be an embarrassment to the people and to your family. I regard you with contempt. You disgust me.”

And with that, Simon spat on Tavi’s face and walked away leaving Tavi speechless and impotent with rage.

* * * 

 

A very despondent Adlai turned towards Maria and, with his finger, lovingly traced the outline of her face. It seemed the more time they spent together, the more his love grew. Then he placed his hand gently on her swollen abdomen and experienced a wave of paternal pleasure. It was early springtime - on the eve of Pesach 99- and they were sitting in the garden of the safe house in Tiberius.

“Ahh, sweet wife, I sometimes feel I don’t deserve you. When I’m with you, I can feel all my cares going away. You give me strength to face the coming days. You are, without a doubt, the most beautiful woman in the country.”

“Thank you husband – you flatter me. But surely you mean don’t you, that I’m the most beautiful woman in the world?”

“There - you caught me in a little lie. Of course, you’re the most beautiful woman in the whole world. Am I forgiven?” This was accompanied with a gentle laugh. For a while they sat in silence until Maria,

“What will happen to us husband? We can’t go on fleeing from one place to another can we? The child within me is growing strongly and soon I’ll not be able to travel. Do you know why they want to arrest you? You haven’t done any wrong have you?”

“No, I haven’t. It’s all because of Tavi and his slaughter of the tax gatherer. At least that’s what Simon tells me, and I trust him. My stupid, impetuous brother!” Maria dropped her gaze at Adlai and looked downcast.

“It’s my fault isn’t it? I must have done something to cause Tavi to believe I would marry him. . . I must have! I’ve talked with Jessica and she assures me that I never gave Tavi any indication that my feelings for him were anything more than friendship. She accompanied us wherever we went and is adamant that it’s all in Tavi’s mind. But still . . .”

“Don’t distress yourself dearest. I recall in Aegypt when Tavi and I talked, his mention of you was only how he felt about you, not how you felt about him. Tavi has never been a thinker – just a doer. I mean, if Tavi hadn’t drawn his bow against the roman soldiers, perhaps little Magdella would still be alive.”

“But he’s not stupid. He must have known that killing the tax collector would have dire consequences and put you, his brother, in danger . . . he must! Is he taking revenge on me?”

“I don’t know dearest. I don’t. I really don’t know my brother any more. He’s changed. He doesn’t visit our parents anymore and I know this upsets my Emma. Abba says nothing but I know he’s ashamed of what Tavi’s become. Abba’s no fool.”

“Do you think I could stay with your parents when the child becomes too heavy? I know she’s an annoying fusspot but at heart, she’s a very kind woman. I like her even though she frets so.”

“I’m sure she would love to have you.” And then with a small laugh Adlai continued,

“You’re not only beautiful darling – but very brave.” And Maria joined in his laughter.

* * * 

 

But it was a more concerned Adlai who sat with Cephas by the hearth later that night. Cephas had decided to spend the night with his friends. It would not do for Adlai and Maria to be alone without company for support. There were guards stationed outside, but not inside. Cephas was talking,

“The Romans are scouring Judea for you. Known sympathizes have been dragged from their homes and beaten to try and find your whereabouts, but no one is talking. Here in Tiberius you’re much safer as the Romans need the agreement of Herod Antipas to search for you.”

“So, for the time being I . . . we’re safe?”

“Yes, absolutely. Simon assures me that only trusted Zealots know of your whereabouts, so you may relax here. Is Maria Ok? Has this rushed travel affected her and the baby in some way?”

“No – she’s ok. We decided this afternoon that she’ll go to my parent’s house soon, so that she and the child will be looked after.”

“Do you think Mariam will agree with this?” This brought some welcome laughter.

“Cousin – what do you think the future holds for me? I feel I have more to give and it would distress me so to have to stop now. Where do I go from here?”

“Simon says to stay here for a while where you’re safe and then perhaps go back to Qumran. In the meantime, the Zealots are planning a series of raids to keep the Romans engaged so that, in time, they’ll forget about you. I agree with him. Also, Abir is going to cause trouble in the Sanhedrin, which will also keep the Sadducees occupied. I know it’s hard Adlai but just be patient.”

With a sigh, Adlai crossed his arms and starred into the embers. Both men became silent until,

“I can’t help thinking about my brother. What evil possessed him to carry out that horrible deed? You know, I don’t really blame the Romans for being angry. I don’t. It was brutal, harsh, and totally unnecessary. To murder another human being like that is incomprehensible – and unforgiveable.”

“Yes, I agree. When we were young, Tavi was a lot of fun to be around, with his brashness and impetuosity. Now I see it as something very destructive. It’s as though he hurts everyone he meets. You know, he has no friends. All the Sicarii are terrified of him.”

“In a way, I shouldn’t be concerned about my own fate when my own brother is facing such a dishonorable future. I know our parents have the same pain. Where will it all end, Cephas?”

“Let’s not go there, Adlai. Let’s not think about what the future holds when we have to live through the present. Just let it be. For now, you are safe and should be caring for Maria and the coming birth. Let’s just take each day as it comes. And for now, let’s get some sleep.”

* * * 

 

But Adlai couldn’t achieve any deep sleep with such a troubled mind. Concerns for Maria, his parents and Tavi drifted in and out his sub consciousness. But Maria slept soundly, cuddling against Adlai for warmth and protection. Then towards morning, Adlai was jolted out of his restless sleep by a strange noise. There . . . there it was again! Curious, he arose from his sleeping mat, quickly dressed, and went into the atrium. Cephas was also awakened and joined him.

They looked at each other and Cephas asked,

“What was . . . ?” Suddenly the front door was smashed open and in rushed a troop of Romans, brandishing their gladii, some of which were already stained with blood. They confronted Adlai and Cephas who just stood there in shock – immobilized in shock. The leader, a gruff bearded man growled,

“Which of you is Adlai ben Yusuf? C’mon, you’d better tell me or I’ll just arrest the both of you.”

But the issue was resolved when Maria, now fully awake ran up to Adlai crying,

“Husband, husband – what’s happening? Who are these soldiers? What do they want?”

The issue resolved, two guards - pushing Cephas and Maria aside - grabbed Adlai, who was trying to embrace his wife and told him he was under arrest. Cephas was too shocked to respond – not that he could do anything being so fatally outnumbered. His mind quickly reasoned that he must stay alive to protect Maria, but more importantly, to find and tell Simon that Adlai had been betrayed. Betrayed!

Maria became hysterical, calling on Yahweh and imploring the Romans, “. . . Please, please . . . He’s my husband . . . the father of my child . . . please let him go . . . Yahweh! Yahweh! . . . Help him! Eieveheee!"

Adlai had no time to respond. Roughly, he was bound with his hands behind and bundled out the smashed front door and into the street. In a very short while, the silence of early morning descended on the so-called ‘safe house’ – except for the anguished sobbing of Maria. As suddenly it had started, it just as suddenly ended, leaving a shattered Cephas to try and comfort Maria. When Maria stopped crying she became oddly silent. Cephas began to worry for her as her eyes took on a vacant look and she appeared to be in a trance. Cephas’ mind was in turmoil as he tried to bring order to the situation.

 

I must get her to Mariam and Yusuf. She needs an older female to attend to her. Then, I must go from here, find - or get a message – to Simon, and then learn where Adlai has been taken. I’ll leave Simon to find out who betrayed Adlai.

And only last night I told Adlai he was safe!

 

ANNEXURE NOTES

 

93: Son of a bitch.

94: BullShit

95: Bitch!

96: Death to Rome and all Romans

97: Balls!

98: Piece of shit!

99: Passover

 

CHARACTERS

 

 

. . . In PALESTINE

 

Abir ben Micah >>> A leader of the Pharisees living in Sepphoris

Adlai ben Yusuf >>> Son of Yusuf and Mariam, brother to Tavi and Magdella

Annus >>> Formerly Chief Priest and Father-in-Law to Caiaphas

Brother Zechariah >>> Leader of the ‘Essenes’ based on Qumran

Cephas >>> Son of Idra and cousin to Tavi and Adlai

Herod Antipas >>> Son of Herod the Great and ruler of the Provence of Israel

Idra >>> Father of Cephas and Uncle to Adlai and Tavi

Jessica >>> senior housekeeper to Idra ben Micah

Joseph Caiaphas >>> Chief Priest of the temple and son-in-law to Annus

Judah the Galilean >>> Founder of the Sicarii with Zadok

Magdella >>> Sister to Tavi and Adlai

Maria bat Idra >>> Daughter of Abir ben Micah

Mariam >>> Wife of Yusuf

Martha >>> Wife of Idra

Rufus Julius Antonius >>> Roman centurion

Ruth bat Idra>>> Youngest daughter of Abir and sister to Maria

Simon ben Judah>>> Son of Judah the Galilean who had been killed

Tavi >>> Elder brother to Adlai and Magdella

Valerius Gratis >>> Governor of Judea until 26CE

Varus >>> Optio or second in command to Rufus

Yusuf ben Toshe >>> Husband to Mariam

Zacchaeus >>> Chief Roman Tax Collector residing

Thnx for reading
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..