Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 277 Words
  • 1,434 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - Prologue. Prologue

I wrote this book some time ago and have been hesitant to post on GA. It is somewhat different to the usual submissions on GA. I hope the story as it unfolds is thought provoking

The winds of change were swirling throughout the land; this ancient land; this Palestine. The Jewish people held strong religious ideals and a yearning for both spiritual and political freedom. And they were a disgruntled lot. Over time, they had split into factions each differently interpreting religious dictates as set down by their god, Yahweh.

Occasionally, rebellious leaders would arise, and being victorious, would usher in a short period of freedom for the whole Jewish population. Such periods were often short lived and the populace would then be subject again to foreign domination. But the memory of such liberty would never be forgotten, and in a way it became a commonly shared yearning for ultimate and long-lasting freedom.

The people groaned under heavy taxation, from both Rome and their own temple priests. The latter had adopted a luxurious lifestyle much at odds with the situation of the populace. There was deep and angry resentment.

Such was the situation in the village of Nazareth that confronted the carpenter Yusuf, his sons Tavi and Adlai ben Yusuf and their sister Magdella. Whilst Adlai was scholarly and introspective, his bother Tavi was a complete opposite. Tavi was a warrior, a hunter and a womaniser; he loved adventure and seemed to be always in trouble. He was also his father's favourite. Their peaceful lives were torn apart when an accidental event occurred that had profound and long lasting consequences.

So the stage was set for a spark of freedom to ignite the flames of discontent and so free the common people from the twin yokes of Rome and their own religious leaders.

Now read on . . . .

Thanx for reading. Any comments would be appreciated.
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am not deeply religious at this point in my life. Growing up in a family that went to church, I know just enough to be dangerous. I am intrigued with the "lost years" in Jesus's life and can't wait to see how you weave the story of these brothers in to it. I am also curious about your statement that this is not a religious story. I am looking forward to reading more.

Link to comment

When I say it's not a religious story I mean that I'm not espousing any religious beliefs.  To me these lost years need explanation. Now of course, there is some doubt that the Jesus of the new testament ever actually existed from a historical viewpoint. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..