Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 8,944 Words
  • 1,102 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 2. Chapter 2

Please excuse any formatting problems. The system has its own formatting rules and I have to reformat each chapter.

In his short life, Tavi had never known such fear. He now sat, by himself, in the very corner of the prison tent into which he’d been thrown. His fear was such that he’d curled himself up into a fetal position hugging his knees and staring at the ground. Gone was the bravado, the aggression, and the belief in his immortality. It was replaced by an awful fear that he was going to die. What an idiot. He had stormed into the village square, spoiling for a fight. And that’s exactly what he got. Of course, he wasn’t to know that a troop of Roman centurions was scouring the village looking for members of the Zealot 11 sect. Such was his anger that when challenged by a centurion he simply drew his bow in defense.

 

This was enough to mark him as a Zealot and the Roman troop, with drawn gladii 12 quickly surrounded Tavi and took him captive. Before he realized what was happening he was thrown into a cage on a cart and brought to the Roman encampment.

 

Now, with the sun setting and heralding the start of a new Sabbath, Tavi cautiously surveyed his surroundings. He was held captive somewhere in the Roman encampment. It was obvious that the camp was temporary for no defensive walls had been erected. But his guards appeared to be hardened legionaries.

There were others in the Carcer 13 with him. They were older men in their twenties who were obviously fighters and bore the scars of conflict. But he kept to himself as if solitude would deliver him from peril. He was on the verge of tears.

 

Surely, my Abba will not leave me to die. Surely, I haven’t been that bad that he’ll leave me to my fate without even pleading for my release. I feel so alone now. I would give anything, and pay any price to see my family again. Yes, even my brother Adlai. What an idiot I’ve been.

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see someone approaching.

 

No, no,no. I don’t want company. If I’m going to bawl my eyes out, I want to do it alone so no one can see my disgrace.

 

“May I join you? Or do you want to be miserable by yourself?”

Tavi looked up and saw an older man, perhaps in his late forties, tall and broad shouldered. A fierce beard surrounded a surprisingly kind face. Wearing only a short tunic, Tavi could see the scars of battle on his arms and shoulders.

When Tavi didn’t respond, the man continued,

“Well, I’m going to sit myself down because I don’t like seeing a young lad so miserable. So – like it or not you’ve got company. And if you won’t talk, I’ll talk.”

Still getting no response from Tavi, he continued, “My name . . .”

“Don’t talk to me!” Tavi almost shouted. “If they see you with me, the Romans will think that I’m one of you, that I’m a rebel. And I’m not! I’m not! Go away!”

“Calm down. You’re just a boy. Let me guess –sixteen summers?”

Reluctantly Tavi nodded . . .“. . . and right now you’re just wishing all this will go away. That your Emma will come to fetch you as she always has in the past. Am I right?”

Tavi just nodded,

“Well . . . How shall I call you? What’s your name lad?” Reluctantly, “Tavi . . .”

“Ok Tavi, Tavi who?”

“Tavi ben Yusuf . . . of Nazareth”

“Ahh, Tavi ben Yusuf; the carpenter’s son. Your father is well known to us. He’s held in high regard by the people of Nazareth. A good man – I’m told.”

“Who are you?”Tavi challenged, hoping he sounded more confident than he felt. “You haven’t told me your name. Who are you?”

“Judah. Or as I’m better known, Judah the Galilean. And I’m very pleased to meet you Tavi ben Yusuf of Nazareth.” Judah extended his forearm that Tavi clasped to acknowledge the greeting.

Judah regarded Tavi closely. He saw a stocky, bearded young man, with a determined aggressive countenance. Although presently deflated, he sensed a warrior in the making. Yes, Tavi was a fighter.

Aha, I recall how I felt at Tavi’s age. Immortal. Indestructible. Arrogant and Fearless. How much have I changed over the last 10 years? Life is a pitiless teacher. But Tavi is only a lad so I’d better be gentle with the boy.

“Tell me lad, how did you come to be in this mess? What were you doing to infuriate the Romans and cause them to arrest you?”

Slowly Tavi began to warm to Judah. He had a certain aurora about him that encouraged intimacy. And with the sun setting, any hope that his father would come and release him was gone. He needed this man – this Judah of Galilee. So he outlined all the events that took place prior to him being arrested. He was glad of the dark so he could hide his embarrassment.

When he finished, Judah sat and thought about all that Tavi had revealed.

This is not good. The boy doesn’t seem to understand that drawing a weapon against Rome, for whatever reason, was an offense punishable by death. There is nobody to affirm his innocence. His future is uncertain. Dire even. But he needs help now – I can only begin to imagine the lad’s terror. I must try and help him overcome his fear.

“Tavi . . . Look at me lad. Raise your head and look at me. C’mon Tavi, I’m here to help.”

Slowly Tavi raised his head and looked at Judah, who was studying him with concern. For some reason, Tavi did not feel utterly alone any more. This man cared and for this, he was utterly grateful.

“Tavi, keep looking at me. I want you to focus your thoughts on something nice. At your age, perhaps a pair of young girls breasts with firmly protruding nipples. With flashing dark eyes. And gently rounded buttocks. Focus on her dancing for you and then standing naked before you. Do this now Tavi.”

To Tavi the female of the species was a complete mystery. Growing up, he had exalted in male activities and loved the easy familiarity of male companionship. But lately he’d been having disturbing thoughts about several young girls in the village. And one girl in particular. Her name was Sarah and she made it quite clear that she was interested in him.

And his loins seemed to have a mind of their own. Whenever he looked at Sarah, he became aroused. Embarrassingly so. Frequently so.

But he abandoned any control and did what Judah asked. The image of Sarah, totally naked and with an inviting smile caused immediate response in his loins. So much so, that he tried to hide his shameful erection.

Witnessing Tavi’s discomfort, Judah tried not to laugh. The boy’s fear of the Romans was replaced by the normal urges of a young man. That was good.

 

“My young friend you have just learned an important lesson in growing up. In manhood, you can diminish fear by replacing it with other more positive thoughts. Let your mind take control of your body’s responses. Do you feel better?”

“I will be when my embarrassment subsides.” This brought a laugh from Judah with Tavi joining to laugh at his discomfort.

This is a good man, this Judah of Galilee. Can a person have two fathers? I feel Judah will teach me more about life than I could learn at home. In a subtle way, I feel changed. If he wants, I’ll follow him and submit to his guidance. But who is he? I don’t know anything about him, or the reason he’s here in this stockade. Judging by their actions, the others over there are with Judah and act as if he’s their leader. If I’m to follow, I must find out who or what I’m following. For all I know, they could all be murderers.

“Who are you? And why have you and your men been captured by the Romans?”

“We’re Zealots. We were ambushed just outside Nazareth on the way to Sepphoris 14 the Romans were waiting for us. It was a trap . . .” Judah paused because Tavi was looking at him with a blank face. “Ah, I see you don’t know who we are. Your Abba has not talked to you of political matters?”

 

“No, my Abba is not political. We don’t discuss politics at home. But I’m avid to learn. Please excuse my ignorance. Continue . . .”

“We don’t recognize the authority of Rome or the Sanhedrin. God is our master. We bear allegiance only to god – and no one else. We’re Gods warriors. We seek to re- establish a kingdom of the Jews for the Jewish people. Our aim is to place a king like the Maccabees 15 on the vacant throne of the Jewish people.”

 

To Tavi, this was beyond his understanding. The only history of his people he knew was in the religious observances practiced at home. He was mystified.

“But look,” continued Judah. “Enough of this. You’ll have time to learn the recent history of our people, all in good time. Come with me and I’ll introduce you to the other members of our band. C’mon lad, we also sleep together to ward off the nights chill.”

Tavi was in a dilemma.

 

If I take up Judah’s offer and join his band, the Romans will think I‘m a Zealot. A rebel. One of them. On the other hand, if I stay by myself, I’ll be completely alone. No, I don’t want to be alone. I just cannot refuse this man’s offer. I sense he’s a good man, a kind man. I’ve really got nothing to lose by joining his gang. Maybe, some good will come of it.

 

And so he stood up and followed Judah over to his group. Judah introduced him with,

“Comrades, this is Tavi ben Yusuf of Nazareth. He’s a young lad wrongly apprehended and bids you welcome.”

From the group there came just murmurings of welcome. The situation did not warrant any emotion. Although he was still reticent, Tavi began to feel a little better amongst the company of these hardened warriors. His dread of the coming day began to lessen.

 

* * * *

 

Yusuf and Idra were holding council in a state of near panic. Adlai’s news had rocked both families, especially the women who were becoming hysterical. Cries of anguish were interspersed with terrifying screams and voluminous tears. Adlai had never seen his mother like this – she had become inconsolable. Over and over came the piercing scream,

“Eeiiyah! Tavi! Tavi! Where are you?” With her sister Martha joining in, it became mayhem.

And then neighbours started arriving, each with a different version of events. Some were eyewitnesses to Tavi’s arrest and some just passing along rumours. Nobody really knew anything, which made matters worse.

But Idra, when the initial shock had subsided, suggested that Cephas go and try to find out what exactly had happened to Tavi. By now, the sun had set, heralding in a very dismal Sabbath day.

A little after sundown, Cephas returned with the news that he had spoken to the Rabbi and other reliable people. Idra and Yusuf took him outside as he reported.

“It appears Tavi drew his bow in defense against some Roman soldiers who he thought were attacking . . .”

“He drew his bow?” Idra interrupted. “He drew his bow against a troop of Romans? That’s serious.”

Yusuf felt as if he’d been stabbed in the guts. He knew the penalty for attacking Romans. All he could say was,

“Go on Cephas, please. I want to hear the full story. All of it”.

 

“The Romans had ambushed a group of Zealots outside Nazareth and feared that some had escaped into the village. They were looking for anyone acting suspiciously. According to the Rabbi, Tavi strode into the village square as if he was going to attack. When one of the centurions challenged him, he withdrew an arrow and looked prepare to fire his bow.”

“The idiot! The stupid hot-headed idiot,” Fumed Yusuf. “He never uses his head. Just goes rushing into danger without thinking about consequences. Now his rashness has had serious consequences.”

Yusuf turned to Idra and said – “What can I do, Idra? What can I do to bring him under control? I despair! Sometimes I really do despair".

Idra could only stand mute to Yusuf’s cries of anguish. He imagined how he would feel if Cephas had been captured with Tavi.

Cephas!

He placed his arm around Yusuf’s shoulder and whispered coarsely,

“My brother, I understand your grief! As fathers, we’re always hardest on our eldest sons because we love them so much. But not all’s lost. We must be decisive and do something to try and help Tavi. Come brother, listen to me.” He motioned Cephas to join them, leaving Adlai to try and give some comfort to his Emma.

“Cephas and I will go immediately to the Roman camp and plea for Tavi’s release. I’ll say that he’s my nephew and that you, his father, are too distraught to travel. Before we descend into desolation we must find out what the Romans intend to do. Don’t you agree, brother?”

Slowly Yusuf regained his composure and considered Idra’s plan.

“But it is the Sabbath. We’re not allowed to travel on the Sabbath, except for a distance of 2000 cubits” 16.

“I’m sure that god will be sympathetic. Anyway, to hell with religion – Tavi is more important.”

“Oh my friend, I fear I ask too much of you. I cannot ask you to break the Sabbaths rules. I cannot!”

“Uncle,” exclaimed Cephas. “I don’t need nor ask for your blessing. Tavi is my cousin and my friend. This is something I must do – and you can’t stop me.”

Before Yusuf could respond, Idra spoke up,

“Well, that’s settled then. Come Cephas let us on our way. Every moment is vital. Please inform our wives and pray for a successful outcome. Cephas . . .”

With the matter settled, Idra and Cephas departed for the Roman camp, leaving Yusuf and Adlai with two very distraught women.

 

 

* * * *

 

Rufus Julius Antonius, like many of his fellow legionnaires was not of Italian origin. He was a Samarian, being born in Joppa 17 on the coast of Palestine in the Provence of Judea.

There was much about Rufus to dislike. Growing up with a drunken abusive father meant that violence was an acceptable way of life. It was the norm. In fact, Rufus adopted a credo of answering violence with even more violence.

So life as a soldier of Centurion 18 rank was very rewarding for a man of Rufus’ background. Whilst his emotional structure was troubled, nature hadn’t been kind to him physically. He was short, heavily muscled, and unfortunately covered with ugly body hair. His face was pugnacious with his nose showing the scars of many childhood fights. His teeth displayed the signs of neglect and bad diet. They were awful. And he had bad breath.

 

On this evening, about two hours after sundown, he was just finishing a meal, in his command tent. Already well into his usual ration of wine, he was cursing the eating habits of Jews. His mother had a way of perfecting a roast knuckle of Pork and he salivated at the thought of biting into succulent crackling and soft meat. But because of religious laws, no swine were anywhere to be found. Cursed Jews! Cursed religion!

But he was pleased with the day’s events. Word had been received in headquarters that a band of Zealots would be operating around Nazareth, so he and his men had been sent to intercept. It had all been too easy. Based on information received, his century 20 had ambushed the Zealots in a defile just outside Nazareth.

His orders were to capture them alive so they could be interrogated by headquarters staff. Surprisingly, they hadn’t put up much of a fight. This concerned him, so he ordered a search of the village, in case there were others in hiding. The search hadn’t produced anything, except one youth.

In the middle of his pleasant thoughts, his Optio 20 Varus entered, without announcing himself.

“Why don’t you wait for permission to enter?” Yelled Rufus.” You can’t just wander in here without declaring yourself. For heaven’s sake lad, I could be pleasuring some gorgeous young Jewish tart. Your sudden entrance could upset her.”

Varus suppressed a smile.

 

What woman would want to offer her services to an ugly little bastard like Rufus? Even prostitutes avoided him. One even confessed to me that there was not enough money to induce her to service the putrid little runt.

Rufus broke into his thoughts with, “What do you want?”

. . . You dead, you slimy stinking maggot.

 

Instead . . .

 

“Two Jews have turned up asking to see a lad that was captured with the Zealots today. They say it is a mistake. He’s not a Zealot – just a hotheaded boy. Or so they say.”

“And does this αγόρ ι21 have a name?”

“Tavi ben Yusuf; of the village of Nazareth.”

“Well, you handle it Varus, but I don’t want any Zealots escaping or being released on some false pretext. The more Zealots I can send to Jerusalem for interrogation the better will be my reputation. And yours.” The last was more of a warning.

 

Idra and Cephas were seated outside in an annex to the Roman commander’s tent. The Roman encampment was only three hours walk outside the village and they had made good time. When challenged by the sentries, they stated their business and were asked to wait. Eventually, they were ushered into the Legates presence, where they explained the purpose of their undertaking. It was the first time Cephas had been even close to a Roman camp. They entered into via principalis 22. On each side were tents that obviously housed common soldiers. But at the head of the via principalis were the command lodgings comprising the Commanders Tent, the camp headquarters and, in front, an alter. The area around and in front of the alter was a large space which was an assembly area. At the rear of all this were the stables.

 

The whole layout indicated order, discipline, and experience. It was meant to intimidate.

They now waited in the headquarters tent waiting for the Optio to emerge from the commander’s quarters.

When he did, Varus looked somber. Cephas surmised that he was a kindly man, not cast in the same mould as the ruffians who usually bore Rome’s arms.

“I bear ill tidings. The Commander has considered your petition but cannot grant you release of your nephew. I’m sorry.”

“But my cousin is innocent. Innocent!” Cephas cried out. “He hasn’t committed a crime. He’s just a boy like me. Hot headed, but just a boy.”

“You must understand lad that he drew his bow against a Roman soldier and that is a crime. On the morrow, he will be transported to Jerusalem where he can plead his case before the court of the Sanhedrin. All I can offer, as help, is that I’ll personally make sure he’s well treated. I’m sorry.”

Idra wasn’t surprised. He had set out knowing that the journey would come to naught. He had set out more to alleviate some of the pain Yusuf and Mariam were experiencing. At least to give them some hope.

“My son and I thank you sir for your help. I sense you’re a good man and indeed will look after my nephew. I’m sure you must understand the anguish of the boy’s parents. They are distraught.”

 

“I can well sympathize with them. Although I don’t have sons myself, I can readily understand a parent’s grief. I, myself, have caused my own parents much grief as I was growing up.”

Varus had that unique ability to put people at ease.

Idra felt better. The fact that Tavi was in good hands would be helpful when reporting to Yusuf and Mariam.

“When will you be taking him to Jerusalem?”

“On the morrow, early. We have other prisoners to transport along with your nephew. So we’ll make an early start. I will be in charge for the journey.”

Then as he had an afterthought, he continued,

“You and your son are very welcome to travel with us for protection. I would be happy to arrange this for you.”

“Your suggestion is most kind and in any other circumstances I would readily accept. But today is the Sabbath and we’re prohibited from travel. Coming here, we have bent our law somewhat. It would not be good to do further wrong.”

“Abba, Abba!” Cephas cried out. “Why do you let a silly religious law blind you to good reason? We can do more good by being by Tavi’s side than sitting at home in misery. Let me go – I implore you. Let me go.”

“No Cephas – and that’s the end of it! Turning to Varus, he sighed, “My son also is a hothead. We’ll take our leave now, and thank you for your kindness.”

And Varus watched them depart, thinking,

 

What extraordinary people are these Jews? Rather than offend their god they are prepared to endure personal pain. Strange indeed, but likeable.

* * * 

 

As the prison van lurched from another rut in the road, Tavi braced himself against the crush of unwashed males.

The wagon hadn’t been designed for nine men but the Romans did not want to split the prisoners into two wagons. It made guarding easier even thought it was uncomfortable for the prisoners. So they squeezed nine men into a vehicle that should only have carried six people.

It was a strong contingent, which set off for Jerusalem that morning. The Romans had placed two conturbenium 23 in front and two behind with the prisoners in the middle.

Tavi had been awoken at the solis ortus 24 after a troubled sleep. It was the noise of eight men all sleeping together that had disturbed him. Snoring, farting, murmuring, and even soft tears had persevered through the night.

Yesterday, at this time, I was waking up to the sound of my Emma preparing the early meal and looking forward to hunting with my cousin. Now I’m regarded as a rebel being transported to ultimately, my death. I wonder what my parents are doing now. And my brother Adlai. Adlai I’m sorry for teasing you and promise, if I don’t die, to never taunt you again.

I’m an idiot, a stupid arrogant idiot. It’s strange that Judah doesn’t seem at all troubled. He was even cheery as they were preparing to depart. I wish I had his courage.

 

Out in front, Varus reflected on the generosity of Rufus giving him four conturbenium 25 for the detail.

 

I guess he wants to make sure the prisoners reach Jerusalem intact. The bastard thinks this will enhance his reputation in headquarters. I think not. He’s regarded as an embarrassment by his superiors. Minerva’s cunt! What fool would send thirty men to guard nine prisoners. And just look at the terrain. Rolling grassy hills all the way, until we get near Jerusalem. No places for ambush, this should be an uneventful journey.

 

And so the cortege continued on its way to Jerusalem, which they should reach about solis occasus.26 .The day was warm and the countryside of rolling grassy hills becoming monotonous. A perfect day. On an instinct he rode back to see to the prisoners. The man called Judah was obviously their leader, so he addressed him,

“We’ll be stopping . . .”

Suddenly there was a piercing cry from a hill on the right, which was answered by Judah triumphantly. Then, in utter disbelief, Varus watched as both hillsides erupted with warriors, all armed with bows and slingshots. They simply arose out of the ground.

In complete shock and confusion, the Roman contingent stumbled to a halt. Immediately the attackers, using the benefit of surprise, loosed a volley of deadly arrows at the Romans. Uncovered and unprepared, several Romans went down with missiles through neck, chest, and abdomen. Their cries jolted Varus out of his stupor and he quickly gave the order to,

“Form tortoise 27. Form tortoise. All ranks – form tortoise.”

Well trained in this maneuver, it only took the Romans a moment to form the tortoise. But they were in a defensive stance and had to absorb the continual reign of arrows and slingshots. The attackers knew they shouldn’t close with the Romans and let them bring their deadly gladii to bear.

Varus also knew that his command could not just stand and wait out the attack. Their only chance was to close with the enemy. Even though it was uphill, he commanded,

“All ranks advance! Advance! Advance! Advance!”

It is a frightening sight to see a roman ‘tortoise’ advancing slowly and determinably, with drawn gladii. It was a sight that had instilled fear in many of Rome’s enemies.

But this was a well-planned attack and the Zealots had foreseen this maneuver. They produced their secret weapon. Large wooden logs, soaked with inflammable oil, were set on fire and rolled down upon the Romans.

 

The burning logs crashed into the terrified Romans from both sides. As the front ranks bore the full weight of the burnings logs they began to burn, and men started screaming. In trying to escape the horror, they trampled on their own men.

It was a ghastly scene. With dying men screaming and the yelling of the attackers, the noise was awful. Add the smell of burning flesh, blood from wounds and voided bowels, this quiet bucolic scene became a nightmare.

It was carnage. Discipline broke down and soon the defenseless Romans were picked off with ease. Then the attackers moved close and began to finish off the terrified Romans with their Sicarii. 28

It became a massacre. The Romans had no chance. Mercifully, at some stage in the attack, Varus took an arrow through his throat and collapsed on the ground dying a painful death. As well he did, for a more painful demise would have been his had he survived to return to camp. His whole command had perished.

In a short time, it was all over. With Judah calling, several Zealots broke the lock on the prison wagon and freed the captives.

There were dead bodies’ everywhere. But also, some were just wounded. These were finished off with a short stab of a Sicarii.

Tavi was in a daze. He had heard stories of battles before but nothing had prepared him for this. Gone was the romantic fantasy, dreams of glory and acclaim – all that was left was just gore, and burned bodies. Bodies with arms and legs hacked off, bowel and bladder discharge and blood – blood all over.

 

The awful sweet stench of burning human flesh overwhelmed him, and he threw up. When he finished he lay back on the wagon and tried to control his shaking.

Already the Zealots were gathering up Roman arms and any valuables they could find. Some were stripped of their amour and others were stabbed just for the fun of it.

 

This can’t be happening. I’ve never seen so much death. In fact, this is the first time I’ve ever seen a dead person. And Varus. He had been kindly to me. Only this morning he told me about Uncle and Cephas coming to secure my release. He was a good man – now a dead man. I suppose I’m free. But at what price?

 

He was jolted out of his musings by Judah who had come to stand in front of him. Gently he placed his bloody hands on Tavi’s shoulders,

“The first time I saw a killing I was about your age. I never got over it. In fact, you never get inured to killing. As Jews, we’re told that killing is wrong. That even the smallest creatures have a right to live. But the real world Tavi is cruel and sometimes we have to kill in self-defence. At least that’s how we rationalize it.” This last with a sigh.

“This attack was planned Tavi. We needed to send Rome a message. The eight of us allowed ourselves to be captured so that an ambush could be set up to kill as many Romans as possible. That it’s succeeded so well does not bring me great joy. I wish the Romans would simply go and let us install our own King. Sadly, we know it’s going to be a long and bitter fight.”

Judah looked into Tavi’s eyes and gave his shoulders a fatherly squeeze. “Listen to me Tavi. I don’t know how you feel because I’m not you. I believe you are strong and so I know eventually, this unpleasantness will just be a bad memory. Now, you must consider your future.”

Judah’ words brought Tavi back to reality. He was still a little stunned.

“I never imagined that fighting would be like this. Battles have always been described with honour, courage, and good triumphing over evil. No one

ever mentioned the smell. The smell of death. I’ll never get the smell of this carnage from my mind – I can almost taste it. What am I going to do Judah? Where now shall I go?”

“Well, news of this fight will reach the Roman garrison speedily. See, the vultures are beginning to circle being attracted by the smell. Someone will soon come to investigate. That is why we must away quickly.”

“Am I to go with you?”

“You only have two choices lad. Come with us and fight for a free Palestine with our own King, or return home. If you choose the latter, you will be quickly taken prisoner again and, just as quickly, put to death. Fate has not been kind to you. But you must survive and the only way I can see you surviving now is to join us. Become a warrior of God. Well, that’s my advice.”

“But what about my family? Will they not suffer because of my deeds?”

“I don’t know Tavi. I just don’t know. Look, you didn't choose this path. It was chosen for you. Thinking about your family is an extra burden on your soul that you shouldn’t carry. Not now anyway. We’ll just have to wait and see if the Romans seek revenge on your relatives. Personally, I think not. If anything, they are rational and harming your family would achieve no purpose.”

Amid the smells, sights and sounds of carnage Tavi looked at Judah. He knew he didn’t have a choice. His life had entered into a new phase. Softly but forcefully he said,

"So be it."

* * * 

 

For Rufus Julius Antonius the day had begun with the momentous news that Herod Archelaus the Ethnarch 29 of Judea had been banished. The rule of Archelaus had been troubled from the beginning. He succeeded in alienating not only his own people but Sumerians 30 as well; he massacred thousands of Jews, and was universally hated for his cruelty. At last, Augustus 31 had acted and now the whole Provence of Judea was placed under direct Roman rule, headquartered on the Mediterranean coast at Caesarea.

 

At long last, thought Rufus. At long last, we can impose our will on these unruly people and have them benefit from the Pax Romana. Now we can rule in Rome’s name and not some upstart incompetent little Jew. I’m sure Varus will learn, soon enough, about the change and handover his prisoners to the proper authority. Oh this is indeed good news. Now the new Governor will surely honour the man who captured the Zealot leader and upheld the authority of Rome. I’ll arrange a Feast tonight in the Emperors’ name. Hmmmm . . . The name and reputation of Rufus Julius Antonius will be proclaimed throughout the new province. Now, as to tonight’s arrangements . . .

 

Suddenly there was a commotion outside. Rufus was about to investigate the cause, when a guard announced himself to say that a messenger seeks urgent audience with important news.

“Bring him in,” commanded Rufus. “Let me hear what he has to say. It had better be important to so disturb this glorious day. Bring him in.”

The guards roughly brought in a young man who was disheveled and out of breath. He had obviously been in a hurry to impart his news.

‘Well lad,” demanded Rufus. What is your news? And be warned, if I deem the news trite and unimportant I’ll have you flogged. What is it you have to tell me?”

Still out of breath and trembling with fear, the boy managed,

“There has been a massacre, great lord. There is dead everywhere. No survivors.”

“Aha, I feared as much. Varus must have happened on a group of Zealots and put them to the sword. A good massacre will keep these Jewish hotheads in place. Fear is good.”

Scared witless the messenger mumbled, “They’re all dead.”

“You stupid boy. You’ve already told me that the zealots are all dead. You don’t have to repeat yourself. Where is the Roman troop?”

Terrified the boy managed,

“No, you don’t understand, it’s the Romans who are dead Lord. Not the Zealots. The Romans are all dead. There’s an awful smell.”

For a long, long moment, Rufus just stared at the boy. His mind completely rejected what the boy was saying.

“Dead? A whole troop of Romans – my troop of Romans, dead? Ridiculous!”

It's impossible. A whole Troup wiped out. No! No! No! It’s a lie. I’ll have the boy whipped for telling such lies. Please – let it not be true

 

Then the look on the boys face and the growing rumble of voices outside eventually brought Rufus back to reality. Stunned, he had to accept that the lad was telling the truth. He was horrified, unable to think; half his entire command – dead.

All of a sudden, his indulgence in being honored was replaced with horror. He would be blamed for the massacre of 30 men. He, Rufus would be held to account by the new Prefect in Caesarea. Blind fury consumed him. He needed to strike back. He needed to kill somebody.

 

Somebody would have to pay a heavy price. Jews – these accursed Jews. I’ll make them pay. But I can’t kill them all and I don’t have any names . . . Yes. Yes, I do. What was the name of that Jew whose family came to petition me to release last night? Yusuf something . . . No something, ben Yusuf . . . Yes – Varus will have his full name in the camp records.

 

“Guards!” he thundered. Guards!” And when they entered he commanded, “Gather 20 men and prepare to follow me. And also send someone back with this boy to the massacre site and report your findings. Bring back our dead. Hurry, before animals and vultures satiate themselves.” And as an afterthought he growled,

“Find me the name of that young Jew who had been captured in the village yesterday. Hurry!”

And so speedily, a troop of 20 roman legionaries was assembled. Rufus, now in full military amour addressed the men.

“Comrades! This very morn an act of utter brutality was committed on our brothers. They have been slaughtered by a band of inhuman barbarians. I cry revenge! Revenge to answer the stain against our honour and to avenge our fallen comrades. We march on Nazareth and will put to death all males of military age. No quarter! No mercy! I want the parents of these youths to watch as we reply to this cowardly attack. Revenge comrades. Revenge!”

And so, with murder in their hearts, the Romans began their march on Nazareth.

* * * 

 

The news about the massacre and subsequent escape of the prisoners reached the Rabbi just before the final Sabbath service of the day.

That the prisoners had been freed was a cause for celebration, particularly at Yusuf’s house. That there would be unpleasant consequences was either not considered or simply ignored, in the general euphoria.

The end of the Sabbath day was approaching and the whole family was preparing a festive meal. Whilst Mariam cried her gratitude to the Zealots and extolled their courage, Idra was having some very sensible thoughts. He drew Cephas aside to say,

“I’m worried by what retribution the Romans may take. It’s foolish to believe they’ll not react to their soldiers being slaughtered. Very foolish. We must make plans.”

“I agree abba. I agree. I’m sure that the Romans will take revenge on boys such as Adlai and me. They’re a vengeful people. In fact, they have to drastically respond to maintain their control over us. Yes. I agree with you– we must prepare. I’ve no desire to end my life on a roman Gladius.”

Quietly they drew Yusuf and Adlai aside out of earshot and expressed their fears.

 

“Do you think so? No”, Yusuf scoffed. “I think not. The Romans are not such beasts that they must kill for vengeance. In any case, let us not make plans against something that may or may not happen. Right now, I want to celebrate my son’s escape. You are too gloomy brother. And look at my wife. I’ve not seen Mariam so happy.”

“All right then,” replied Idra sternly. “But I have a plan, just in case the worst happens. I wish I could share your confidence. Of course, I’m delighted that Tavi has escaped, but what will he do now. He can’t come back here. Surely you understand that?”

“Why not?” said Yusuf perplexed. “He’s done no wrong. He’s not attacked any Romans; he was just freed along with the other prisoners. Why wouldn’t he be able to come home?”

Losing patience Idra exploded. “He’s a marked boy, a marked man Yusuf! The Romans will assume that he was a Zealot even when he was captured. Even if he wasn’t a Zealot before capture, they will assume he’s thrown in his lot now. You’re too gentle a man, Yusuf. You refuse to see the world as a cruel place. In my travels to the Indus, I’ve seen many things I did not think possible. We must always strive to be happy but always prepare for the worst.”

Idra’s outburst surprised both Yusuf and Cephas. He was not one to raise his voice. Adlai was listening and thinking,

 

Uncle is right. Both Cephas and I are at great risk. Why can’t abba see that? He’s so blinded with love for Tavi that he can’t think properly. And Tavi. Surely, abba must understand that he can’t come home for some time. It’s a horrible thought but there are people in the village who would inform if Tavi suddenly came home. No – my brother is lost for a while. But at least he’s safe – and I’m not. Oh Abba, Abba!

 

Then Adlai faced his uncle and enquired,

“Uncle, you said you had a plan. What is it? Let’s hear what you have to say?”

“Yes, father. I would like to hear your plan also.”

“Ok. Yusuf, with your blessing? Seeing Yusuf nod in agreement Idra continued,

“My plan is to have both Cephas and Adlai come with me to the Indus.” Seeing Yusuf about to interrupt, he turned on him . . . “Yusuf please let me finish”. And then continued . . .

“My departure is already organized and I could depart tomorrow. I hadn’t planned to leave so quickly but today’s events have required drastic changes.”

Yusuf went to interrupt again, but Idra silenced him with,

“No Yusuf – hear me out. Let me finish and then we can talk. I need someone to look after my affairs in the orient while I’m away and travelling. I could teach the boys my business, It’s not very complicated – they’ll pick up the management quickly and, probably do a better job of management than I could do myself.”

Again, Yusuf tried to interrupt and again Idra silenced him.

“It would only be for say, three years. Adlai can come home after that. I’m sure, by that time, today’s events would have been forgotten. And as for the boys, what a great adventure it would be. New places, new people, new practices, and a new language. You see, language is a problem for me. I struggle with the native tongue. I’m sure the boys at such a youthful stage would master the lingo better than I. And think what relief it will be to Mariam to know that both her sons are safe!”

With that, he stopped and said, “Now you can have your say Yusuf.”

 

As Idra had been speaking, it slowly dawned on Yusuf that he was right.

 

Instead of being ecstatic about Tavi escaping, I haven’t given one thought to little Adlai. I’m ashamed. Adlai needs my love and protection just as much as Tavi. Perhaps now more so. What Idra proposes makes a lot of sense. Whilst I would miss him, going with Idra to the Indus would ensure Adlai’s safety. That is my responsibility as a parent. Yes – it makes good sense.

Thoughts were also running through Adlai’s mind.

I’m excited. What uncle proposes is exciting. I can study new religions and different ways of living. And different people. Learn new languages. See new animals. And maybe meet some different girls. What an opportunity. But will my parents agree? Will my mother stand in my way? But I’ll have Cephas for company. It’s a chance of a lifetime!

 

Then they were interrupted by Mariam calling out,

“Yusuf, Idra - where are you? We need our men folk here, right now, so we can begin the Sabbath meal. I’m so happy; I want all to share in my happiness. Come quickly.”

And so the men re-entered the house and all talk of gloomy matters was put aside to enjoy this Sabbath meal. But Cephas was in turmoil.

 

I cannot put it off any longer. I must talk to Abba about my future. I’ve got to tell him that I want to go to Egypt to study at the world’s greatest place of learning – the library of Alexandria. I know now I’ll never experience the love of a woman and become a father. Sadly, a family life is not my destiny, so I must tell Abba soon – before his plans advance too far.

 

The meal progressed in a festive mode. Mariam was bubbling with happiness, assuming that soon Tavi would return and family life would continue as before.

Yusuf was laughing at her happiness when he became distracted . . .

“What is that noise? I can hear people shouting. Can’t you hear it?”

All conversation stopped to listen and yes, there were sounds of shouting which seemed to be coming closer. Idra spoke to Cephas across the table with,

 

“Lad, why don’t you find out what that ruckus is all about? Quickly now, I don’t like the sound of it. Go lad.”

Idra caught Yusuf’s eye and a look of unease passed between them. Mariam and Martha continued laughing and talking. They were amused at Magdella trying to feed the baby Tabatha. Like all young children, there was more food on her tunic than in her mouth.

“No, No, Magdella,” scolded Mariam. “Don’t force the food down her throat – she might choke. Let Aunt Martha show you the proper way. You’ll soon have babies yourself so you must learn how to feed them the correct way.”

Magdella made a face at her mother as much to say, I can teach myself. I don’t need you to boss me around.

Still thinking about his uncles proposal Adlai turned to Idra and asked, “How many days does it take to reach the Indus, Uncle?”

“Ah well, it all depends . . .”

White faced and distressed, Cephas burst into the room. Gasping for breath, he stammered,

“Uncle . . . Abba . . . the Romans . . . they’re coming . . .”

Alarmed Idra, standing up demanded, “What do you mean Cephas?”

“The Romans . . . they’re marching on Nazareth – they’re going to kill us. Abba, we’ve got to do something.”

An icy stab of fear engulfed both fathers and a look of anguish passed between them. Idra moved to Cephas and put a fatherly arm around his shoulders.

“Take your time. Tell us what you learned. Take a deep breath.” A little calmer, Cephas managed,

“The Rabbi received news that the Romans were on the march and bent on vengeance for the massacre.”

In a shocked voice Yusuf said, “How long ago was this Cephas? “Brother, let my son tell the news in his own good time.”

 

“Time!” Yusuf snapped. I’m just trying to find out how much time we have.”

“Ok,” allowed Idra. “Go on – we’re listening Cephas.”

“The Romans are furious that so many of their soldiers were killed. They are blood crazed and marching on Nazareth with the avowed intention of killing all the young males. The Rabbi has urged that all young men flee, immediately. We may only have an hour – probably less.”

Turning to Yusuf, Idra said,

“My plan Yusuf, we must consider my plan before it’s too late.” And then to Cephas and Adlai,

“Get you both ready to flee. You mustn’t be here when the Romans come. Go now. Prepare yourselves.”

Listening, Mariam and Martha had remained silent. As the full impact dawned on them, Mariam stood up and,

 

“Yusuf, Yusuf! What is happening? Why are you telling our sons to flee? And what is this plan of Idra’s? I demand you tell me - now!”

Realizing that they had left their wives in the dark for too long, Yusuf and Idra explained the plan - Idra’s plan. Mariam was the first to react.

‘NO, NO, No! I will not hear of it! NO. Am I to lose both my sons in one day? It’s impossible. No – I will not allow it!”

“Then would you allow your son to be killed, woman? Yusuf thundered. “As he surely will unless we adopt Idra’s plan. Do you want Adlais death on your conscience? Do You?”

Martha, familiar with her sisters tantrums turned to Mariam and said, “Sister, our men folk are right. The boys must flee. And as much as it pains me, it’s best if they disappear for a while. Three years is not a long time. Think on it.”

Mariam subdued now started to sob. “My boys, my beautiful boys.” Then Adlai and Cephas embraced their mothers. Realizing this was the

last she would see of Adlai for a long time Mariam was overcome with grief. She could not be consoled. To try and placate the poor woman, Idra comforted,

 

“Mariam, I know this is all a shock. At least my Martha has had time to prepare herself so I understand your despair. I’ll take good care of him and will make sure he sends regular word.” And to the boys,

“Go quickly to the hills where the Romans cannot find you. I’ll meet you on the morrow about 2000 cubits on the road to Sepphoris. Go now.”

Adlai walked over to Yusuf and said,

“Abba, will you give me your blessing. It is important that I have your consent. With tears in his eyes, Yusuf simply hugged his youngest son and whispered,

“I love you. Wherever you go remember that I love you.”

And so they went, and all over Nazareth, fathers and mothers were wishing their sons god speed.

* * * 

 

As they marched into the sunset, Rufus became more and more determined to avenge the massacre of his men. Not only was it an insult to Rome, but it was a mark against him personally. From the grim looks on the faces of his soldiers, he sensed that they shared his outrage.

To have the butchery go unchallenged would diminish Rome’s authority and incite others to rebel against the Pax Romana. No, an example must be made so that the entire Provence of Palestine would not defy the power of Rome. In this murderous frame of mind, they reached Nazareth just after the sun had set. His men halted and awaited his command. The local Rabbi emerged from the Synagogue and extended his arms in welcome - but inside he was trembling like a leaf. Terrified.

 

Ignoring his feeble welcome, Rufus growled,

“We come to commandeer all young males of this village. Have them assemble in the village square. Now!”

“But great sir, they are all gone. The Tetrarch, Antipas requested help in rebuilding Sepphoris and so our young men have gone to assist. Only Antipas can say when they can be returned.”

If the Rabbi Solomon, thought that the Romans would listen to reason he was direly wrong. Rufus was beyond reason and so he bellowed to his men.

“Bring forth all the women.”

In fearful groups, the villagers were gathering in the square to watch proceedings. When the Romans started to drag out their women, they became enraged. Some attacked the soldiers. But all this did was to make the Romans become violent. Resistance by the men was useless. Some attempted to intervene but they were mercilessly beaten.

Waiting fearfully in their house Yusuf and Idra could only listen to the growing turmoil. Suddenly the front door crashed open and three soldiers burst into the room. Roughly, they grabbed the women, including Martha with Tabitha in her arms, and dragged them outside.

Into the village square Mariam, Magdella, and Martha were taken forcefully along with all the females of Nazareth. The soldiers were drinking, laughing, and making lewd comments. The women were trembling in terror - the men just standing there in a group looking on helplessly.

Then the commander, an ugly and repulsive human being, walked along the line of women. When he came to Magdella, he stopped and an evil grin spread over his ugly face. He then dragged Magdella out of the group and Mariam started screaming,

“NO! NO! NO! Not my beautiful daughter. Please! Please! Let her go. Please!”

She was ignored. As soon as Rufus had taken his pick, other soldiers pulled more young girls from the group. Amongst them was Sarah.

Knowing what was about to happen, mothers started screaming for their daughters. And fathers wept in futile, silent agony.

After being roughly thrown to the ground, Magdella watched as this horrible man straddled her. She was revolted. His breath was rancid and his body odor repulsive. She started to gag at the stench.

Emma! Emma! Abba! What is happening? What is he going to do? Where are you Emma? Where is Abba? Please somebody help. Help! I’m going to . . .

Suddenly all thoughts were driven from her mind as a dreadful pain engulfed her loins. A sharp piercing pain like she had ever experienced before. A mind numbing pain. She screamed and screamed and all the while, the beast kept plunging into her. In the far, far distance, she could vaguely hear her mother’s voice screaming her name. But still the beast kept thrusting, thrusting and thrusting. Harder, harder and harder. Then he emitted a load groan and she felt a warm fluid fill her belly.

She simply cried. She didn’t have the energy to shout. She was numb. So numb that when the next soldier entered her it hardly registered. And the thrusting and pain started all over again. And again. And again and again.

Slowly her mind became vacant and as each new beast entered her, she became bereft of any feeling. Slowly she drifted downwards towards oblivion. Blessed oblivion.

Mercifully then, when the Gladius thrust deep into her young heart she was long gone. She felt nothing. Nothing. As did all the other young girls when their time came.

Suddenly it was all over. The square was littered with broken bodies and broken minds. And all the time the Rabbi prayed to god for deliverance from this horror.

But there was no answer.

 

Appendix Notes

11: Founded by Judah of Gamla in Galilee this same year. 12: Roman short swords. Each one called a ‘Gladius’.

13: Prison

14: Original capital of Galilee. About 10 Km north of Nazareth.

15: 143BCE– 63BCE. Known as the Hasmonean kings. Ruled over an independent Israel

16: Just under one kilometre. It was the distance that the Jews were required to walk behind the Ark of the Covenant

17: Present day city of Jaffa

18: Leader of 10 'conturbenium' of 8 men each

19: Around 80 men

20: Second in command

21: Greek for boy

22: Main road

23: About 15 men

24: First hour - about 7 am

25: About 30 men

26: About sunset

27: A defensive position where the soldiers lock shields in front and on top to absorb an arrow attack.

28: Stabbing knife used by the Zealots.

29: Not King but National Leader.

30: From Summaria located on the Mediterranean coast

Thanx for reading. I'm sorry if the rape scene offends anyone.
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A brutal chapter ending after the unexpected start. The world was a hard place then, and isn't very different now, same bad things

happening to good people.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..