Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 1,236 Words
  • 1,812 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 3. Chapter 3

Once again . . . sorry for any formatting problems

 

Although all the boys and youths had departed Nazareth at different times and directions, they eventually banded together for warmth and security. But as the sun climbed over the Galilean hills the following morn, its rays fell upon an emotionally shattered group. The terrible news about the rape and slaughter of the innocents had reached them during the night.

The initial reaction was disbelief, but when it became clear that it was true, their grief descended into desolation. Most of the boys had younger and older sisters, so it became a shared grief.

Adlai was inconsolable. He immediately tried to run back home but Cephas restrained him. All around, young males were experiencing similar torment.

Although he was very worried about Tabitha, Cephas tried to console and council Adlai.

“If you go back and fall into the hands of the Romans, you are likely to be killed. Your mother couldn’t handle the grief of losing two of her children in one day. Right now she’s grieving for Magdella, but she knows that her two sons are safe.”

“I've got to go home. I can’t sit around and do nothing. I’ve got to do something. What can I do Cephas?”

“Grieve. Grieve for Magdella. Shout. Shout if you want. Shout your denunciation of the Romans. Then maintain your rage. Swear to revenge Magdella’s death. Swear a curse on the commander of the Romans. Swear that you’ll never forget. Turn your despair into righteous anger.”

Several boys had heard what Cephas said and asked him how they should do this. Cephas stood up and in a loud voice announced,

 

“I am Cephas ben Idra and I swear a curse on the Roman commander who butchered our love ones. I will not rest until he’s dead. This I swear before you all.”

Immediately, one by one, each boy stood up. One by one, they declared their name. And one by one, in ringing tones – they cursed Rufus Julius Antonius.

At least the healing process had begun.

 

Appendix Notes

 

31: Roman emperor

 

32: About 250 km from Sepphoris

 

33: Modern Basra. About 1000 km from Damascus

 

* * * 

When Idra arrived before noon to meet the boys, he was glad that the news had already reached them. After reassuring Cephas that Tabitha was all right, he focused his attentions on Adlai.

“I’m sorry Adlai. I’m so terribly sorry. I’ve never known such sorrow and pain. Your Emma is in a bad way with remorse. But I’ve assured her that you’ll be safe with me. We’ll send regular messages as we travel. Now come, we must reach my home in Sepphoris before nightfall. Let us hasten from here.”

“Uncle, you have not said what is going to happen to me – at least not in any detail. Would I be disrespectful to ask for more details? I’m anxious.”

“Yes, of course. Let us discuss it as we journey.”

So Idra told Adlai that they would travel to Damascus 32, and thence overland to Al Basrah 33 . They would be passing through the ancient cities of Ur and Babylon. Then they would go by sea to the seaport of Barbarikon 34 on the river Indus and thence on to the Scythian town of Minnagara.

 

Cephas interrupted Idra with a tone of urgency in his voice, “Abba, I must talk to you. It is important . . .”

“Yes, yes Cephas. I know you have something on your mind. Let me finish talking to Adlai and then you can have your say.”

Continuing on Idra addressed Adlai,

“The climate is warm and very pleasant. You need only work in my business for a few hours each day and spend the rest exploring a totally new country. Oh and it is so different boys. New food to enjoy, different clothes and beautiful women. Just the sort of combination to make a young man’s heart joyful. Eh?”

Then turning to Cephas,

“Well lad – what is it that’s so important that you must keep harassing me?”

 

Well here goes. But after all my attempts to talk to him, I suddenly feel tongue-tied.

 

“Abba, I don’t want to go with you to the Indus I want to go to Egypt – to Alexandria.”

Both Idra and Adlai stopped walking suddenly and turned to face Cephas. One with alarm and the other incredulous.

“What!” was all Idra could manage.

 

“I learned of the famous library established by the Great Alexander, which resides in the city that bears his name. I long to go there to study. I’m told it holds secrets of times past and that there is much learning to do. I was going to wait until I was older, but now everything’s changed.”

“Why have you not said of this before? Surely this is the first time you’ve spoken of it?”

“Yes Abba. I did not want to disappoint you. But now I know you have Adlai to help you. I feel I must fulfill my dreams.”

Deep in thought, Idra started walking. “Does your mother know of this?”

“Yes Abba, she does. She was delighted when I first broached the subject and she has been very supportive. She did not want to discuss it with you until I’d spoken to you.”

“Hmmm, I see. Well let me think on it and we’ll have a further talk when we get home. My primary concern, right now, is to have you and Adlai home safe. We’ll talk on this when we’re home.”

* * * *

 

When they reached Sepphoris, they had to make immediate preparations to leave early the next morn. Idra had thought in great depth on the wish of Cephas to go to Egypt.

 

I can’t hold him back. If this is what he wants then how can I discourage him? I see that his mind is set on the matter. It might even be a blessing for me. There is not enough work for the two of them but with Cephas in Aegypt, I can manage Adlai better. Yes, a young man has to learn to stand- alone. He’s a sensible boy and I’m sure he can look after himself. Also, if I go against his mother, my house will know no peace.

 

“Cephas, Adlai,” he called out. “Can you come here please?” When the boys came, he simply said,

“I've thought on your matter Cephas and I give you my blessing . . .” Cephas, happy, went to interrupt but Idra silenced him with . . .

 

“No, let me finish. I have a contact in Alexandria that I’ll give to you. If you ask him I’m sure, he can organize lodgings for you. But I want your oath Cephas that you’ll write regularly to your mother. She will be overjoyed to read your messages. Now – what did you have to say?”

“Abba, Abba – Thank you. This has made me happy. I won’t let you down. I’ll make you proud of me. I will. I promise.”

Then Idra turned to Adlai and said,

“Do you have anything to say on the matter, Adlai?”

‘No uncle. I’ll miss Cephas, but if this is what he wants then I’m happy for him.”

“Then, that’s settled,” Idra concluded. “We can say our formal good-bye’s in the morrow. For now - let’s get some sleep.”

Thanx for reading. Please . . . I'd like to hear from you.
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The boys are each suddenly scattered and I hope that their ingenuity and skills will see them through these changes. This is definitely

a different kind of story from your others, no doubt about that, and I am still intrigued.

Link to comment

I decided to go different because to be an author on GA doesn't mean to have gay relationships and sex as themes all the time. Well that's only my opinion, so I tried for something different. Hope it works.and hope you enjoy

Link to comment

So now the story will split in to two parallel adventures? In spite of some difficult parts, this is a good story. I like your writing style, and I think you handled the battle, killing, and rape in a way that wasn't too hard to read. All those things are real for the times and part of the forward progress of the story. 

Link to comment

I enjoyed your comment. What dificult pasrts are you referring to? I'm of a mind to do a rewrite soon and would love to hear from you. I'd enjoy expanding on Cephas for instant. I don't believe I've let his true character shine through. Whilst I didn't want 'Adlai' to be gay, I still believe I should give Cephas a bigger spot in the story. What do you think?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..