Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 5,271 Words
  • 1,806 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 1. Chapter 1

I introduce some of the main characters.

Seemingly suspended between earth and sky the ‘short toed’ eagle flew lazily in circles searching for prey to feed her young. At this time of the day, hot thermals rising from the desert floor aided her flight. Using these thermals, she swooped, soared and hovered over the desert landscape, senses alert for any movement that could suggest food.

Her prey was preferably snakes and she killed not by her talons but by using her beak which was specially adapted for large kills. Thus, she was often referred to as the ‘snake’ eagle. She was large – often growing up to the length of a man’s forearm.

In one of nature’s strange paradoxes, she could only produce a single egg. While this lessened her maternal attention, she had to covetously guard her single offspring.

Now, in the heat of the day, even with her keen eyesight, nothing moved. From her vantage point, she could see the vast desolate panorama of the

landscape, as it stretched from the big sea to the seemingly endless desert terrain. The ground was scarred with deep ravines and soaring rocky outcrops that bore witness to periodic earthquakes and the tectonic pressures of the planet's early history. In structure, it is a combination of limestone and sandstone which being porous, filters surface water eventually finding its way to fertile oases, scattered throughout the desert terrain.

The land has often in the past resonated to the tramp of conquerors and vanquished alike. Caught between two hostile civilizations, this land bore witness to death and violence, as nations struggled for supremacy.

But the land was fertile - only lacking water to bring life to the soil. In the aftermath of the rare storms that swept across the landscape, life would spring forth with vitality and abundance.

Now, sensing the futility of her search, she began to fly northwards to where the harsh desert landscape gentled to rolling grassy hillocks. These hills slowly increased in elevation to become mountains in the far north.

Coming up on her right side, she espied a large body of water settled in an area where the land seemed to fall away as a deep serration in the planets crust. Her alert senses gave warning that the water now below must be avoided. Indeed, no creatures lived within the surrounds of this hostile sea.

Still flying a lazy circular pattern she continued her northwards drift. Sensing that her prey of choice, reptiles and other small creatures, were diminishing she concentrated on any prey she could find. Her young would by now, be feeling strident pangs of hunger. She hastened her search. But she knew that her present flight would bring her into contact with those upright creatures that often competed with her for food.

Movement!

All of a sudden, there was movement below. She sensed prey. Flying silently in ever decreasing circles she identified the quarry and began a silent streaking dive onto the kill.

*** 

 

Reaching carefully behind him Tavi withdrew an arrow from his quiver. Slowly, almost lovingly, he slotted the arrow into his bow and took sight onto the target.

Tavi was a hunter, both in instinct and physique. At sixteen summers, his strongly muscled arms and shoulders were the result of many hours practicing the use of bow, spear, and slingshot. And there was a fierce intensity about him. His dark brown eyes blazed with aggression. The set of his jutting bearded chin bespoke of a grim determination to endure, confront and defy. At sixteen, he was a warrior.

This little hunting party had departed after the morning meal to hunt for food, but not before an unpleasant scene developed between Tavi and his Abba1, Yusuf.

“Abba, I won’t take Adlai with me hunting. Look at the little runt. Look at him. All he does is stick his snotty nose in books. He’s useless to go hunting. Useless! He’ll only hinder Cephas and me. Don’t you agree cousin?”

Before Cephas could respond Yusuf glared at his son and barked,

“Yes, you will! You’ll do as you’re told, Tavi. You’ll do as you’re told or I’ll confine you to studying your books for a whole week. No outside pleasures at all - just reading and study.”

Yusuf knew that this would horrify Tavi, and sure enough, he grudgingly surrendered – but not before affixing his younger brother with a malevolent stare.

Now Magdella the youngest entered the fray with a tearful and plaintive plea to accompany the boys. But her Emma2 , Mariam had foreseen this and,

“Magdella, be quiet and stop winging,” scolded Mariam. “You’re only nine summers. It’s no place for a girl to go hunting with the boys. I need you here to help me. Also, I want you to help Tanta3 Aunt Martha with baby Tabitha.”

“No – I won’t! You can’t make me. If dreary Adlai can go, so will I.”

“Magdella . . .”

“I’m not a child anymore and I refuse to stay home and do yucky chores just because I’m a girl. It’s not fair!”

“Magdella . . .!”

“No! No! No! I’m not staying home and that’s that.”

“Enough!” thundered Yusuf. “Enough! A man is entitled to peace and calm in his own house.” And turning an angry eye on Magdella he declared,

“You will do as you’re told. You will stay home and help your mother and your aunt. And you will help look after baby Tabitha. If I hear, any more from you will get a whipping. Do you hear? Do you hear me?”

Knowing that her abba meant what he was saying, Magdella dissolved into tears and mumbled under her breath, “I wish I was a boy!”

Tavi, who had now gathered up his hunting weapons and who dearly loved his younger sister, said kindly,

“Abba’s right, Magdella. If anything were to happen to you, I’d never forgive myself. Adlai can look after himself – because I won’t.”

This last quietly so Yusuf could not hear.

“There", cried Magdella flaring up in childish rage. “It’s all about you isn’t it? Admit it! You’re only thinking of yourself and how it would interrupt your precious hunting if I got hurt. It’s all about you, you, and you. You’re a beast.”

“Magdella! . . .” threatened Yusuf in a menacing voice. Barely controlling her own anger, Mariam turned round to face Tavi and Cephas saying,

“Go on boys. Go and have a successful hunt and bring back a good prize for our Sabbath meal.”

And with a meaningful glance at Tavi, she said forcefully. “And Tavi, look after Adlai – I heard what you just said.”

Cephas, who had been silent during the little family flare up said,

“I’ll look after Adlai Tanta . I promise I’ll look after him and see that he comes to no harm.”

And so the trio had set forth, with Tavi and Cephas striding ahead, and Adlai struggling to keep up.

Leaving the village proper, they entered a region of soft rolling grassy hillocks interspersed with rocky canyons. This was good hunting territory. Here in Galilee and Judea lions had often been seen.

Adlai became lost in his own thoughts, while trying to keep pace.

 

My brother. Look at him now strutting out as if he owns the world. He’s a rude obnoxious pig. Even so, I know my abba is secretly proud of Tavi. He’s everything an eldest son should be. He has no fear – or so he says. . . . Monotonously. He’s just an overstuffed loudmouth. The only reason I’m going along is because of my cousin Cephas.

I like Cephas. Where Tavi is knarled and stocky, my cousin Cephas is slight and sinewy. I know he’s very fleet of foot. The rich black hair that flows down around his ears makes him attractive to girls. And he has a kind nature. No, my brother and cousin are not alike, in neither looks nor personality.

Struggling to catch up he nearly stumbled on a large stone on the pathway.

So I like book reading. So what! While Tavi hunts prey and enjoys killing I hunt knowledge . . . .

Adlai’s thoughts were interrupted by Tavi as he turned around and yelled,

“Adlai, try to keep up and don’t dawdle. We can’t look after you if you fall behind.”

And Cephas offered,

“Perhaps he’s dreaming of pretty young girls, or maybe, one particular girl?” But Tavi chortled cruelly,

“Or maybe a pretty boy from the Temple gardens.”

This brought a fit of uncontrolled laughter from the elder boys, much to Adlai’s discomfort.

But this merriment was cut short as Cephas suddenly commanded

“Shhh – be quiet . . .” and silently pointed a little off to their left. There a large rabbit was contentedly chewing on some sparse grass that struggled to survive in this arid environment.

“Stay put Adlai,” whispered Tavi. “Don’t move or make a sound or I’ll belt you. Cephas and I will encircle the prey to get downwind. Be silent. Very silent. Don’t even breathe loudly. We’ll sup well this night.”

And so the two elder boys moved silently off, with Adlai content to be an onlooker. Now with arrows slotted onto their bows they took aim on the rabbit and . . .

In the instant before they loosed their shafts . . .

Suddenly – chaos!

. . . a loud rustle of wings and the air became alive . . . a screeching sound and the next moment a large bird dropped from the sky and grabbed the rabbit in its outstretched talons. The rabbit started screaming in terror. With the caw, caw’s of triumph coming from the bird, the heated curses of both Tavi and Cephas, the screeching coming from the rabbit – and Adlai screaming . . . there was bedlam!

And, added to this there was blood all over - but mainly over Adlai. The bird had severed the rabbits throat and a stream of blood jetted out, drenching poor little Adlai.

Abruptly, it was all over. Silence again.

The bird disappeared skywards with its prey, and the two elder boys were too stunned to move or speak. The only sound was Adlai whimpering softly.

Cephas was the first to recover, and he turned towards Tavi – but the look on Tavi’s face made him turn back towards Adlai. Cephas had seen Tavi in this mood before and he knew not to intervene.

As the shock of the attack diminished, Tavi strode purposely over, retrieved his spent arrow, and without a word stalked off. Adlai went to say something but Cephas cautioned him by,

“Let him go Adlai – let him be. I’ve seen Tavi in this mood before and it’s best to not intrude. Just let him alone and give him room to ease his fury. Just let him be. Here, let me help you cleanse yourself. You’re a mess.”

And what a pitiful sight was Adlai. He was sort of hunched down in a defensive stance and with blood covering his face and tunic; he did indeed look a wretched spectacle.

“I’m sorry cousin, I’m really sorry – I’m ashamed. I cried like a girl. I’m so ashamed. Please, I want to go after Tavi and tell him I’m so ashamed.”

“It’ll do no good Adlai, no good at all. I’ve seen your brother in this mood before. Best to let him be and hope his rage diminishes before we get home.”

Glancing towards Tavi’s departing back, he said,

“Look at the set of his shoulders. He’s consumed by fury. It would be unwise to disturb him as he tries to control his demons. Come; let’s gather up our stuff and leave. There’ll be no more hunting today.”

With a glance at Tavi’s departing back, Adlai helped Cephas gather their belongings and set out to follow Tavi. For several paces, the two youths remained silent – Adlai wallowing in his shame while Cephas reflected on the strange moods that seemed to overwhelm his cousin and friend, Tavi.

He’s a strange one. I don't understand the rage that Tavi harbors within him. I also feel aggressive at times. But I’d like to believe that my aggression has a positive outcome – not destructive, like Tavi. Tavi is a killer. A destroyer. Only death seems to be able to calm his restless soul. How different he is to Adlai. They are two brothers - one violent and the other docile. And who is Adlai? I suspect that within that soft exterior lies a strength and purpose similar to Tavi but non-violent. Strange, that now when he’s merging from boyhood to manhood, I know very little . . .

 

“Cousin, can I ask what are you’re thinking about? I’m ashamed I cried at the sight of blood. I . . . well . . . I’m embarrassed – no, humiliated.”

At the sound of Adlai’s voice, Cephas turned to look at him. He really looked miserable. He was still slumped forward with his head in a downward cast. His arms hung listlessly at his side. But then as Adlai looked at him, Cephas noticed something about Adlai he hadn’t seen before . . .

His eyes . . . they're old eyes. Almost black in color, but they reflect intelligence. And something else - his eyes seem to carry compassion far beyond his years. Why have I not noticed this before?And then responded to Adlai’s question,

“Don’t be sad Adlai. Don’t dwell too much on your reaction back there. You’re only a boy and you were simply surprised, as we all were. The eagle was just hunting food; probably for its young and simply beat us to the prize. If you promise not to say anything, I was also frightened and almost soiled myself.”

 

“You’re just trying to make me feel better, but thanks. I really value your esteem. It makes me feel better to know that I haven’t lost your love. But please tell me Cephas - why am I so different?”

“How so, different? What do you mean – different?”

“I don’t have anyone to talk to – not my Abba and Emma nor my sister and certainly not my blowhard brother. There is no one – save you. Will you promise not to laugh at me?”

“Adlai, I love you as if you’re my own brother. You’re my kin and closer to my little sister and me than Tavi. Yes, I’ve sensed something’s troubling you. Out with it! I give you my word it’s just between you and me.” And then after a pause continued,

“Why do you consider yourself to be different? Do you mean different to Tavi – to me? In a way, we’re all different Adlai. Yahweh makes us all individual so that we can enjoy our differences. And you’re only 13 summers – you have a lot of changes to come as your years advance. Why, I remember when I was your age – I was very different to what I am now. So go ahead - talk to me.”

With a mixture of gratitude and relief, Adlai considered what he was going to say. Then began,

“I’m restless, impatient to learn. Seeking knowledge has become my driving force . . ."

 

Look at him now, thought Cephas. Gone is the dejected guilty youth and in its place a new vitality. His back is straight, his head upright, his eyes shining and alive with excited zeal. What a change!

 

". . . I feel there is a strange force inside me directing me towards a life different to where you and Tavi are heading. I seek knowledge, more than that which is learned at Temple school. Where Tavi is aggressive and sometimes violent, I’m passive and need to follow nonviolent ways. You’re aggressive too, yet you are comfortable with the way things are. I’m not . . .”

Breaking into Adlai’s speech Cephas said with unbridled passion-

“Don’t say that I’m comfortable with the world around me. Don’t say that! I find much to be angry with. I despair that we’ll ever throw off the yoke of our roman masters. Who is free, when every day we’re reminded that we’re subject peoples? Even the Sanhedrin bow to Rome’s authority and ignore the commands of the Torah. No, we’re not free and I find great distress in that. I feel so strongly that I’ll join the zealots when I come of age and do everything to make our people free again. Even if I have to die.”

Somehow, Adlai had laid bare an emotional sore within Cephas. With rising passion, Cephas began to let his inner rage express itself.

“Know that I’m very angry Adlai – there is much wrong to put right and I’m going to pledge myself, even to death. I want to take the Chief Rabbi and his followers and banish them from our temple. They are simply the craven servants of Rome – we need to cleanse our religion and our people of those who collaborate with our evil masters. Rome is like a whore who promises great rewards and delights, but asks too heavy a price. Too heavy.”

Sensing that a rare moment had risen, Adlai paused in his stride and the two boys faced each other. They had each exposed their most personal passions. In that moment, Adlai drew close to his cousin – closer than he’d ever been before.

 

Thus began an understanding and accord that was to last the two boys through adolescence and onto manhood. Breaking the spell, Cephas commenced walking and said to Adlai,

“Well cousin, you’ve successfully pried open my inner soul. I now stand emotionally naked before you. But I interrupted you. I don’t know about your inner feelings - except that you’re different. You say”

Eager to be able to express his thoughts, Adlai began to talk rapidly, “I’m not sure that our religion offers anything to our people anymore.

Whilst the rules set by the Torah are supposed to be for the benefit of our race, they are lacking. The laws are ancient and were written long ago when there was need for strict compliance. They are outdated. For instance . . . we celebrate the Pesach – when new born was spared the vengeance of Pharaoh. We commemorate the Shavuot, when the Torah’s five books were revealed to Moses. Then there’s the Sukkot that remembers our wandering in the wilderness for 40 years and finally, Hanukkah when we honour the rededication of the Temple . . .

Cephas had stopped and was listening to Adlai when he interrupted with,

“What you say is true little one. But that is our way. We embrace our religion by remembering the past – even the traumatic happenings of our people. And we derive pleasure in our observances. That is part of being a Jew. How could we do otherwise?”

They had both stopped to face each other. Cephas, being taller, looked down sternly upon Adlai challenging him to explain himself. But Adlai continued with his theme, “When I sit at the foot of the rabbi, I’m told what I can do and what I cannot do. In my eyes, our beliefs are about abiding by a set of ancient rules and celebrating ancient events. There is nothing taught about life, now - and living now. The Torah says we have choices to make in our life but only if these choices are acceptable by the Torah. It’s not fair. Why must I be considered wrong if I do something that is not approved of by the Torah?”

“A vexing question.” Cephas answered with a smile. “Yes a vexing question indeed. Surely one that has been asked by all young boys at one time or other when asked to do something they don’t like” He delivered this with a chuckle.

“Perhaps, perhaps you’re right. Perhaps I’m too young to understand the workings of the grown up world. But I feel I’m right, cousin. I don’t know how to express myself properly – I have a lot of learning to do.”

 

Seeing Adlai so glum, Cephas decided to soften the atmosphere. He took him by both shoulders and,

“Yes, you have a lot to learn, but you also have time. You’re still young. Enjoy your youth – both its pleasures and pain. But please, I don’t mean to dissuade you from thinking about issues. Ideas are precious and you should keep thinking as you are. Don’t stop”

Releasing Adlai's arms, he looked ahead and observed, “See how far Tavi is ahead. Come we must catch up to him. I’m sure he’s sulking and won’t tell the story about the eagle properly.”

With that, they hurried after Tavi.

* * *  

 

“Come Idra, let us sit in the shade and enjoy a few moments of peace - without our women to berate us.

"Magdella . . .” Yusuf called, “Please fetch uncle Idra and I some wine. Your Emma will give it to you, but be careful-don’t spill any.”

It was a beautiful day and as the evening drew to a close the heat of the day faded to be replaced by a freshening coolness. As they sat together in comfortable silence, waiting for the wine, Idra covertly appraised his brother in law Yusuf. Being a carpenter, he had tradesman’s arms and hands. He was, as Idra had found out, a good tradesman and was sought after by the people in the village of Nazareth.

 

He’s a simple man, a good man, who is kind to his wife Mariam and a stern father to his sons.

 

“I hear,” began Yusuf, “that Annas4 has been recently elected Chief Rabbi of the Temple. Will he, do you think, side more openly with the people or just follow Rome’s dictates?”

With a sigh Idra answered with – “I really don’t know Yusuf; I really don’t know what the future holds under Annas. Whether we’ll see a slackening of Rome’s control or face more demands from the Temple, I just don’t know. But it will not affect you. You’re still governed by Herod Antipas, the Tetrarch5, so I imagine life will continue the same for you - and the people of Nazareth.” “Ahh, here is our wine brought to us by the loveliest young girl in the village”.

Yusuf beamed at his younger daughter as she self-consciously laid the wine cups and flagon down on the table.

“Emma says that you and uncle Idra are not to drink too much wine before the Sabbath meal.” Magdella said impishly, passing on her mother’s instructions.

This brought merriment from both men as they silently toasted each other.

“I fear,” said Yusuf continuing their interrupted conversation, “that the Tetrarch is becoming lax in his administration and soon Rome may have to step in and take control.”

“Why do you say that? Is he not passing on the correct taxes to Rome? Is there agitation from religious parties for more freedom? As a trader, I’m sensitive to any discord that may damage trade.”

“No – it’s not that,” responded Yusuf with a sigh. “Here in Galilee, the Pharisees6 hold more influence than the Sadducees7 and so we’re not subjected to strict religious observances. Herod Antipas is weak, so there is something of a power vacuum.”

Taking a sip of wine, Yusuf continued,

“There have been persistent rumours about renewed Zealot8 activity in Galilee. You know they despise Rome and view the Tetrarch as more sympathetic to their cause. Whereas the Sadducees are happier with Rome as long as the peace is maintained. I fear that Antipas will not be able to control the Zealots.”

“Eeiiyah!” exclaimed Idra. “That is not good news to a trader. Another war will bring the full might of Rome on our backs. Do the fools not realize that it is better to have the Pax Romana9 than suffer the yolk of Rome’s full rule?”

“No, they don’t. I reckon they’re all hotheads like my Tavi. Young, idealistic and foolish.”

Changing the subject, Yusuf asked Idra,

“I hear that you’re extending your trade to the Indus10. That surely is a big step, being so far away. You must believe that trade will be good?”

“Yes, it will cause me to be away from home a great deal. But, Cephas is now sixteen and I’m sure he can look after my business while I’m away. In time, he could take charge of all my oriental business. I dare hope.” This latter with a sigh.

“Why are you sounding so uncertain? He’s a good lad. He’s very supportive of his Emma and little Tabitha. You should be proud. Why do you sound troubled?”

“Well, he seems to shift between being outgoing and aggressive, and at other times withdrawn. I sense that he’s going through some inner turmoil, which is distressing him. I’ve tried to talk to him, but have been rebuffed every time. Perhaps it is just youthful insecurities.”

Yusuf suddenly laughed out loud, at the same time calling loudly to. . .

“Magdella . . . please bring us some more wine. Your uncle will think me a poor host. Magdella!” And then resumed,

“What you describe dear friend, is a young man in lust or love. Have you not forgotten how we were at that age?”

“You think so? I think not. He doesn’t seem to be interested in finding a wife. He’s a strange boy is Cephas. He likes to play rough and aggressive with the other youths but then I find him sitting alone, staring at nothing but with a look of troubled sadness. Although I don’t agree with the custom, I’ll probably have to find him a wife.”

 

“Well brother, you are not a poor man. It should . . . aha, here is our wine brought by the lovely Magdella. And what did your mother have to say about our second jug? – No, don’t tell me. I can guess.”

“Abba, Emma says you’re drinking too much, and Uncle Idra will think poorly of you.” But as she said this, she smiled in a private way letting her father know she loved him.

Idra watched her departing back and was impressed by her gentle beauty.

“You are blessed, brother to have such a lovely daughter. Would she be older I would not hesitate to ask that she wed my Cephas. But then I have to understand my son better before I would marry him to an unsuspecting bride.”

“I think you’re too hard on Cephas. Don’t think that my two sons are angels. They are not. And they are as different in temperament as any two youths can be.” Reaching for his wineglass Yusuf expounded,

“Tavi is hot headed and seems to find trouble wherever he goes. Sometimes I despair. And, although he doesn’t suspect, I’m aware of his dalliances with women. No good will come of Tavi. He’s a born warrior. He has a warriors frame and his temper is always at flash point. We have continual arguments, sometimes only about little things. He hates Rome and has avowed to help throw the Romans out of all Palestine.”

“Is this true? Is he inclined to be seditious? I never saw that in Tavi before. Has he just come late to this thinking or has he been influenced by someone else?”

Forcefully Yusuf said. “That I don’t know. He’s impressed with the Zealot cause and imagines himself fighting with them to free our people. How he became of this dangerous mind, I don’t know. It’s not a subject we discuss at home.”

“Well, I see that you have a problem there and you are right to be concerned. I personally don’t think that being totally free is a good thing for our people. As long as Rome does not interfere with our daily lives, or our religion, I’m quite happy for Rome to keep the peace. I’ve not heard what the Zealots would do if Rome was replaced. Frankly, we’re too fractioned to be able to govern ourselves. You yourself admit that the tetrarch is weak.”

“Yes – I agree. We would descend into an ungovernable rabble. But, please my friend, don’t raise this subject with Tavi. I get enough nagging from Mariam without having to listen to Tavi’s diatribes. Also, Tavi frightens Adlai. He’s much less aggressive and cannot understand Tavi’s outbursts.”

“Aha Adlai . . . he has the makings of a scholar, am I right? He’s truly a son of which you can be proud. A fine mind. A gentle soul.”

“Yes’” smiled Yusuf in agreement. “Adlai is everything that Tavi is not. The Rabbi tells me he’s very learned for a child his age. But even he’s becoming rebellious . . .”

“What do you mean, rebellious?” said Idra with concern. “I can’t imagine Adlai being rebellious. No, he does not have a rebellious nature.”

Then from within the house and with a raised voice Mariam called, “Yusuf, Yusuf! Don’t drink anymore; we have quests, remember. It

would be unseemly to drink too much wine before the Sabbath meal.” And then with her voice rising higher,

“Magdella, Magdella! Come help me. Your abba is a lazy sloth. I can’t do all the work myself.”

This brought wry chuckles from both men and, in defiance, like schoolboys, they each took a goodly sip of wine.

Continuing the conversation Idra asked again, “Adlai rebellious?” “No, not in a physical way. Just recently, I asked him how he was progressing with our Rabbi. Remember, I think I mentioned that the Rabbis were impressed with Adlai's comprehension of the Torah. But Adlai is also critical of our religion”

“Critical? How?”

“It seems we spend too much time remembering past events, even if those events carry shame. He says that we’re a religion of the past and don’t look towards the future.”

“Eiveh!” laughed Idra. “The lad has a point. Does he mean life after death? A subject that many scholars have debated. Many of the Pharisee opinion are sure that we’ll rise after our death and spend our eternity in heaven. I don’t share that view.”

“Nor do I,” affirmed Yusuf. “Adlai has come to that thinking seeking his own counsel. We’ve never discussed the subject at home.”

“Then, all the more reason to be impressed with a lad of only thirteen summers entertaining such thoughts. We must ask, with your permission, Adlai to expound on his views. I would be most interested to listen to his thinking.”

“Well, let us discuss the issue tonight. I’m more concerned for his worldly welfare. He’s too thin and exercises only rarely. He tends to devote more time to expanding his mind, than putting meat on his spare frame. His mother despairs.”

Then both men paused, for from outside the courtyard came sounds of anguish. Someone was yelling amid sounds of distress. And, at that moment Adlai, still covered in blood, stormed into the courtyard, with Cephas close behind . . .

“Abba! Abba . . . its Tavi. They have captured Tavi. Abba. . . I think they are going to kill him!”

 

 

1: Father

 

2: Mother

 

3: Aunt

 

4: High priest before Caiaphas

 

5: Ruler of one of the four parts of Palestine

 

6: The people’s party. They were not religiously strict and relied on oral law

 

7: Party of the rich and rabbis. They held conservative religious views. 8: Direct action party against Rome. They wanted war.

 

9: Roman peace

 

10: Indus River in present day India

 

Thanx for reading. Because I'm taking a gamble in posting this story, I would appreciate any comments
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I always enjoy your stories and they never disappoint, so this departure from the norm has my interest, mostly I wonder where it is going.

I'll need to read on and see. The missing 20 years eh?

Link to comment

I'm not certain what the gamble is. I thought chapter one was interesting. I know little to nothing about Jewish politics at this time. Your footnotes were helpful. You have a good start and interesting characters. I look forward to seeing how this story develops. Thanks. Jeff

Link to comment
10 hours ago, Stephen said:

I always enjoy your stories and they never disappoint, so this departure from the norm has my interest, mostly I wonder where it is going.

I'll need to read on and see. The missing 20 years eh?

Thanx Stephen . . . it is a departure and I had lots of challenges to make the story different. I hope you'll continue to enjoy

Link to comment
6 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

I'm not certain what the gamble is. I thought chapter one was interesting. I know little to nothing about Jewish politics at this time. Your footnotes were helpful. You have a good start and interesting characters. I look forward to seeing how this story develops. Thanks. Jeff

 

6 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

I'm not certain what the gamble is. I thought chapter one was interesting. I know little to nothing about Jewish politics at this time. Your footnotes were helpful. You have a good start and interesting characters. I look forward to seeing how this story develops. Thanks. Jeff

Thanx Jeff. Well, some people may take offence. But I've tried to tone the story hopefully that it will not be offensive.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..