Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 492 Words
  • 1,111 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 4. Chapter 4

Only a short chapter . . . an INTERLUDE to set the time frame and location of the narrative.

Interlude 9CE – 15CE

 

The First decade CE 35 was dominated by a disastrous Roman defeat. In 9CE, a Roman army under Tiberius Quintilius Varro was defeated by Germanic tribes at the battle of Teutoburg forest. Not just defeated – it was annihilated.

Twenty thousand men were slaughtered with the loss of three Roman standards. The Emperor Augustus was often seen roaming the rooms of his Palace crying out,

“Varus, Varus – give me back my legions.”

As a result, the Rhine River was established as the boundary between the Latin and German speaking worlds. In effect, all Roman expansion ceased for both the Northern and Eastern empires.

This pause gave the Parthian 36 and Indo-Scythian 37 Empires time to consolidate. In 11 CE Artabanus II became ruler of Parthia and in Hindustan, Satakarni 38 began his reign.

Also in 12 CE Annius Rufus was appointed Prefect of Judea.

But the most important event was the death of Augustus in 14 CE who was succeeded by his son- in-law Tiberius. In the same year, a census was taken which disclosed that there were 4,973,000 Roman citizens throughout the empire.

In 15, CE Annas was deposed as High Priest in Jerusalem to be followed by three new high priests over the next three years to 18 CE. At the same time, Valerius Gratus was appointed Prefect of Judea.

And from about the first decade CE trading goods began to flow from the Silk Road down the Indus River to Barbarikon for transshipment to Egypt and the Eastern Roman empire.

At that time, North West Hindustan and Pakistan were dominated by the Indo-Scythians who had migrated from southern Siberia around the second century BCE. Their administrative capital was Taxila some five hundred kilometers north of the coast in Pakistan so settlements like Barbarikon were important to the Indo-Scythians for trade.

From Barbarikon went such luxuries as costus 39, bdellium 40, lycium 41, nard, turquoise, lapis lazuli, skins, cotton cloth, silk yarn, and indigo. Sailors set out with the Hindustan Etesian 42 winds, about the month of July. It is more dangerous then, but with these winds, the voyage is more direct, and sooner completed.

Imported into Barbarikon were a great deal of thin clothing, figured linens, topaz, coral, storax, frankincense, glass vessels, silver and gold plate, and a little wine.

Some of the goods were diverted upriver to Minnagara 43, a large Scythian settlement. But gradually trade goods flowed to Barigaza on the Manadus River. Then relying on monsoon winds goods, were transported through the Red sea to Egypt and the Eastern Roman empire, including Judea.

 

In 10, CE Hajatria became ruler of Indo-Scythia.

 

Appendix Notes

35: Common Era. Replacing the old AD – Anno Domino

36: Modern Iran and East Turkey

37: North West India and Pakistan.

38: Ruler of the Andhadra Empire

39: Ginger

40: Coriander

41: A medicinal plant

42: Annual

43: Major Indo-Scythian city just near

I think I covered all formatting problems. If anyone finds one can you please let me know. Thanx for reading
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..