Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 7,513 Words
  • 1,247 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adlai - 6. Chapter 6

Had some major formatting problems here. I hope I've corrected everything.

From its humble origin in the foothills of the Himalayas, the mighty Indus River winds its way through the Indian sub continent. As it reaches the Erythraean 46 Sea, it becomes a delta with seven outlets to the ocean. Only one channel is navigable and on this, the trading port of Barbarikon developed.

Just a little north of the town, one channel forms a shallow sandy lagoon. Because the water is fresh, plants, mammals, fish, and insect life thrive. Palm trees provide shade and seclusion for visitors. Flocks of Myna and Hoopoe birds add color to the tranquil scenery.

It was in this idyllic setting that Adlai waited excitedly for Somya. Now mid morning on the next day, the grove was alive with birdsong and the rustling of small creatures. Sunlight sparkled on the water disturbed only by the rippling of the wind on its surface.

Adlai was dressed only in a light tunic because of the heat and humidity. Reclining on the sand, propped up on one elbow, he was feeling a little annoyed.

I’m convinced I was excluded from the business talks between uncle and Kirit because at some juncture the discussions will come around to Somya and me. Well, to hell with them. I’m my own man and know my own mind. I’m sure Somya feels the same way. Don’t they realize we love each other? Bah - to old fashioned customs and ritual. Love is more important than traditions. Boy, it makes me mad . . .

Behind him, a soft voice called . . . “Adlai. Adlai, have you waited

long?”

At the sound of her voice, Adlai turned around and stood up, shaking sand from his tunic. Once again came the familiar emotional rush as he looked into her lovely eyes that were wide open and imploring. Today she wore only a light tunic bare at her shoulders and legs. Her firm little breasts poked alluringly through the light fabric of her almost exposed top. Adlai closed the distance between them and, taking her in his arms, kissed her passionately. Breaking apart, he whispered,

“Oh Somya, I love you, I love you, I love you. I’m so much in love with you that I’m miserable. Why do you taunt me so? Your beauty’s too much for me to bear.”

And it was true. Already he could feel his manhood straining painfully against his undergarments.

“Dearest Adlai, please hold me – I’m frightened, and not of your naughty manhood.” This last came out as a giggle.

“I woke up this morning with a strange feeling that something was wrong. I can’t describe it – just a sense of foreboding. I don’t trust my father. We know he disapproves of you. I’m worried he may do something to break us up.”

“Well, he can try. I love you too much Somya. I love everything about you. And not just your body either. I want us to be together as any couple in love should. Let him try. I’ll match him. Love is a powerful emotion – far stronger than words or deeds. I’ll simply take you away. Understand?”

With wide and steady eyes, Somya looked at Adlai. This morning she had also made a decision.

“Dearest. You are not the only one whose body is crying out for relief. I seem to be continually wet and . . . miserable.” Then she leaned close and whispered, “Please take me Adlai. Now. I can’t wait any longer. I don’t want to wait any longer. If something was to happen, I can at least have the memory of you and your seed inside me. I’m talking now as a woman deeply in love with her man.”

“Are . . . you . . . sure?” he stammered. “Are you sure? Please Somya, don’t taunt me. I’m only a mere male and as such, my needs are different to yours. I’m no better than the lowest animal. Please Somya; tell me you’re not teasing me?”

“Silly boy! You men never consider that the same beast also resides in us women.” And with that, she loosed her tunic to expose both her ripe young breasts. Taking Adlai’s hand, she placed it urgently over her right breast. Adlai groaned aloud as he bent to taste the engorged nipple that soared enticingly out from her rigid flesh.

Both young people became lost in the joy of giving their bodies to each other. But they had waited for too long and their physical need became overpowering. With encouragement from Somya, Adlai entered her effortlessly as they were both wet from anticipation. To Adlai, it was an incredible sensation.

Eeiiyah! My manhood has swelled even further and demands release from the pain. Oh my love! My pleasure is such that I’ve lost all reason. Ahh -I can’t hold back much longer. Somi . . . Somi . . .

When Adlai entered her, Somya experienced a little discomfort – he was so big! But then a delicious sensation flooded all through her body. With Adlai hard inside her, she opened as a flower and gave her body completely to his thrusting.

At last, I feel a woman. I can feel myself building to a climax as with each thrust he imparts more pleasure within me. I don’t care anymore. I just want release from the craving my body has been experiencing. I don’t care.

And so they became one. Each giving to the other until the pressures became so great that their passions simply exploded within each other. They both reached their climax about the same time experiencing ecstasy beyond any previous sensation.

And then it was over. They lay back, side by side, letting their passions subside. No words were necessary. They had crossed an invisible line – an invisible line that defines childhood from adulthood. And they were very messy. The aroma of their body fluids permeated the air.

Soon Adlai rolled on his side and simply said, “I love you Somi. I can’t say any more than I simply love you. Somehow climaxing inside you was a heady emotional experience as well as a physical one. Long will I remember this day – this morn.”

“Adlai, my dearest Adlai. No one can take back what we have just experienced. If you’ll have me, I’m yours. Completely. I want no other man.”

 

And so they spent the next few hours swimming, talking, caressing, and enjoying their wonderful new relationship. But time is a master that has to be obeyed. Eventually, surrendering to time’s dictates, they dressed and started on the way home. It was early afternoon.

* * * 

 

 

Idra and Kirit met that same morning in the courtyard of Idra’s villa. In welcoming Kirit and thanking him again for last night’s hospitality, Idra explained why Adlai hadn’t been asked to join in their discussions.

“When I arrived only yesterday, I wasn’t aware of the situation between Adlai and Somya. I understand your pain and concern. Thank you for not letting your feelings show last evening. I must say your handling of Adlai was very commendable. You and Jalbala showed admirable restraint.”

With a slight bow and a nodding of his head, Kirit acknowledged the compliment but then with a sigh . . .

“We were once young and foolish ourselves. Adlai is an imposing young man. In working with him closely, I became impressed with his attitude and ability. He’ll make an excellent husband one day, to a very lucky young lady.” Then looking directly at Idra he simply said,

“Unfortunately, it can’t be Somya.”

Idra opted to ignore that comment but nodded his agreement before turning to business matters.

“Dear friend, I’m not getting any younger and can’t keep travelling between Palestine and Hindustan. Nor do I feel my presence is required as you’ve proved to be an excellent manager”. Picking up his glass of wine, he pointed at Kirit and said,

“I’m going to ask you to become my partner . . .”Kirit started to protest but Idra silenced him politely, and looking Kirit directly in the eye, he affirmed,

“You’ve managed our business impressively and it’s only right that you should be rewarded for your diligence. I won’t accept any argument.” Noticing the set of Idra’s jaw, Kirit knew that any further argument was futile.

“You’re a fair and honest man Idra. It’s been a pleasure to work with you. I’m grateful you presented me with an opportunity to better my family and me. If it’s indeed your wish to share our business then, in all humility, I accept. Jalbala will be overjoyed.”

“Then, it’s done. We can work out details afterwards.”

Then Idra paused and frowned slightly as he marshaled his thoughts. Kirit, understanding Idra’s approach to important matters, waited patiently. Finally,

“I’m of a mind to open up a trading house in Berenice on the coast of Egypt. Adlai confirmed that goods are flowing from Barigaza and Barbarikon to Berenice, for transshipment up the Nile River to what the Romans call Mare Nostrum. 47 We’ll have all the trading ports of the Roman Empire at our pleasure. What do you think?”

He didn’t give Kirit time to respond and continued on, “I’m very excited. With you looking after the Hindustan end and myself operating from Berenice, we can anticipate a prosperous future. Do you foresee any problems?”

“No. None at all. None at all. And I think you’re proposal is brilliant. Have you been considering this matter for some time?”

“Oh yes, yes. My good wife Martha has been complaining about my travelling and I have to admit she’s right. It’s about time I slowed down. Unfortunately, my son Cephas shows no interest in commerce. But, let us talk of our future. I’m sure you have many matters to discuss with me.”

Now it was Idra’s turn to wait as Kirit marshaled his thoughts.

 

How fickle is providence. I must be careful how I approach Idra. His offer of partnership coincides with the plans I’ve been making. It’s amazing. As if the man was reading my mind. Now I must divulge the reason why Adlai and Somya cannot be joined.

 

“It’s on the issue of family that I must converse. As you know, the political situation we find ourselves in here is uncertain. The ruler Hajatria is weak and I expect a major change in authority sooner rather than later. The local governor Gajbaahu is assuming more and more authority in the administration of local affairs.” He paused to gage Idra’s understanding of the situation.

“Yes, I’m aware of this. Adlai says that you are seeking an audience with him presently to maintain a higher profile. Is there any word? I agree it’s important to have personal contact, particularly with those in authority.”

Kirit shifted uncomfortably on his seat. This could be awkward. Unconsciously he scratched his shoulder.

“I’ve already had several discussions with Gajbaahu . . .

Seeing a frown appear on Idra’s face he hastened,“We have developed a close relationship and understanding. Within our community Gajbaahu is highly respected so it’s important to gain his respect."

This is getting serious Kirit is reluctant to tell me what’s on his mind.

“Kirit, I sense you’re trying to say something important. Just out with it.”

“Gajbaahu has a son Somya’s age and I have proposed that they marry. I’ve just received word that he’s agreed. Neither Somya nor Adlai know of this because I felt it best to be discreet until the issue was resolved.” Nodding his head slightly, Idra said softly,

“Aha, now I see why you’ve been discouraging Adlai’s attentions. Yes, now I fully understand.”

Both men became quiet, lost in their own thoughts. Eventually Idra,

“It’s a very smart move. Yes, in fact, it’s brilliant. Your two families joined. What a coup! Indeed, what a triumph! Our competition will be green with envy. Ah Kirit, you’re indeed a wonder.”

Sounding relieved, Kirit continued,

“If you agree, I would like to make the announcement today. Adlai and Somya must understand that their futures will take a different direction.”

For a moment, Idra said nothing. And then he stood and paced as his mind digested the problem at hand. Respecting his dilemma, Kirit remained silent and waiting. Then with a deep sigh, Idra,

“I suspect the lad is going to be very upset. Probably devastated. He’s expressed his deep love for Somya so this news will be a terrible blow to him.”

Again, silence. Kirit respectfully waited. But then as Idra continued pacing,

“My friend, I sense you’re distressing about something. Tell me. Please – let me help.” To this, Idra replied with a tone of sadness,

“When Adlai came with me it was following a terrible event in his young life. If you recall, his younger sister Magdella was raped and killed by the Romans. He’s thankfully overcome this dark tragedy in his young life. I’m worried this news might crush him completely.” Idra stopped pacing and sat down, but with his head tilted to one side.

 

Kirit was aware of Adlai’s sister’s death and the trauma of his flight from Palestine. But as much as he had respect for Adlai as a person, his first responsibility was to his family and his daughter.

For a long moment, both men sat in silence – each with heavy thoughts. After a few moments, Idra sighed and,

“But we must look to the future. Adlai will just have to accept reality. I’m sure Somya will be equally distraught. Do you have a sense that she’s returning Adlai’s ardor?”

“Yes. Jalbala says yes! A mother has instinct for these things. Somya will be upset. But she’s young and time will heal old wounds. And Gajbaahu’s son Naarad 48 is very good-looking.”

“Eiveh! I wish Adlai’s father Yusuf was here to comfort his son. I’m worried Kirit - about Adlai. This matter must be handled with care. He needs a father’s firmness and I’m only his uncle. Do you have any suggestions?”

“Only that bluntness, though cruel, can often be the best way to convey bad news.”

“I agree. And action. I don’t want to give Adlai time to have the news fester. The situation could become ugly.”

Both men fell silent as they considered the ramifications of their decision. Idra stood up again and walked around as he dwelt on the problem.

 

Painful as it will be, I must explain Kirit’s decision. And I can’t allow him time to react and possibly do something injurious to himself. I have to consider his welfare. I hope Yusuf and Mariam will forgive me. I know Mariam would want Adlai to find a nice Jewish girl to marry. At least I know she will approve my action. Eiveh! That I have to convey such news to the boy!

Then he stopped and with his hands clasped behind him said assertively, “I propose you advise Somya of your decision at the same time I talk to Adlai. We must do this immediately.Then I would have Adlai board the Dhow returning to Egypt and require the ship to sail with the next tide. It would be better to mend his wounds while at sea.”

“Yes. Yes, of course” agreed Kirit nodding his head. “It’s going to be painful for both of them. Being so blunt will be a shock. Yes, I approve. It’s better as you suggest.”

For a long time the two men looked at each other in silent acknowledgement of the dreadful burden placed upon them and the tragic necessity of doing what they must do. Heartbreaking.

* * * 

 

“Oh No. . .Oh No . . . No. NO! Harah! 49 You cannot do this! . . . I will not allow you and Kirit to destroy my life . . . and Somya’s! Mamzers 50! . . .”

 

“. . . Adlai! . . . Language. Where did you learn . . . ?”

and winced as Adlai dashed a goblet on the ground.

Adlai was enraged. He received the news with utter disbelief. Now he stood before Idra shaking with rage. His eyes blazed. He stood with feet apart and rigid posture. His chin extended aggressively and eyes wide with passion. Hostile and threatening.

Relaxing only slightly he - in a menacing voice – said,

“If you two old men think, for one moment, that I’m going to allow my life and Somi’s to be dictated by stupid traditions – think you again! I’m not a child any more uncle. It isn’t going to happen. Mamzers! . . .”

Silence . . . except for the sound of birds chirping.

. . . Without a further word, Adlai turned and stalked out of the garden - leaving Idra to look, with dread, at his departing back.

Well – that went well.

* * * 

 

Kirit’s household was in turmoil. Somya was in her room sobbing, interspersed with screams of anguish. On the other hand, Jalbala was positively gushing at the news she was going to be related to the governor.

There had been no debate. Kirit simply informed Somya of his decision. His word was law. But only because Jalbala was pleased with the news. Had she not been pleased– well, it wouldn’t do any good to dwell on that prospect. As far as Kirit was concerned, it was now a female problem and he was quite relieved to have Jalbala handle the drama. She was something of an expert in dramatic emotional crises.

As the crescendo of weeping and wailing soared to a new peak, Jalbala walked imperiously into Somya’s room.

“Hush now you ungrateful girl. You are being very naughty. Your father has made an excellent betrothal for you and all I hear is childish winging. Ingrate! You should know that Naarad is highly sought after for his manly attributes.”

In spite of herself, Jalbala dissolved into girlish giggles. Infuriated, Somya screamed,

“Kukarchod! 51 . . . My mother is a kuthri 52! I hate you. I hate you! How . . .”

Stunned by the vile language coming from Somya, Jalbala exploded,

“Somya! Where did you learn such vile language? What dreadful things to say to your mother. I’m appalled. I never thought to hear my own daughter use such low-caste language. It’s, it’s . . .”

In such shock, she forgot what she was going to say.

Somya, in the meantime stood before her mother with her bottom lip jutting out and her head held high. With her legs parted she pointed a finger at her mother and,

“I love Adlai, Kuthri! We love each other . . . Um. . . I will not marry someone I don’t love. And if you continue to deny me, I have a few more words of a low-caste nature I could share with you. For instance, how about Tatti Ander Lele! 53

“Enough, enough you horrible child. Enough of your vile, bass, and disgusting language! You are only saying those things to upset me. And you have. I will have to take a palliative and lie down for the rest of the day. My own daughter. I’m only glad your father can’t . . .”

“My father – Betichod! 54, Bhosdee kay! 55 I hate him . . .”

The slap sent Somya tumbling to the ground where she lay covering her left jaw, which received the full force of her mother’s anger. Already an ugly red weal was forming and did nothing to enhance her beauty.

Jalbala stood above Somya grinding her teeth and with blazing eyes she declared,

“You are a base creature. I’m not going to tell your father about your crudity. That poor man still believes his daughter to be a paragon of virtue. Ha. . Virtue. A meaningless word in your case. I’m so relieved your father has taken action. I would not put it past you to have lain with this person. What a tragedy that would be. Luckily, we have avoided such a disaster. I give thanks to Lord Krishna that you haven’t already brought disgrace to our name. To your father’s name.”

There followed a brief silence as the two women glared at each other. Somya had a momentary surge of guilt and broke eye contact by looking down and away. Finally, Jalbala,

“You are restricted to your room for seven sunsets and will eat your meals here. I’ll have a servant guard your door at all times.”

With a parting look of anger, Jalbala stalked out of the room leaving Somya to savor the morning,

Now I’m glad now I gave myself to Adlai. I know my parents will prevail against us ultimately. At least I’ve carried his seed.

* * * 

 

Adlai had known anger before but this pure cold anger he was feeling now, was something new. It felt good. He was able to marshal his thoughts while maintaining the rage he felt within. He decided to put a plan, already formed into action.

But how to contact her? A note. I’ll get Madhul to deliver a note to Somi. I can trust her and she loves romantic conspiracies. Women are good in these situations. If only Emma was here.

Grabbing a blank piece of papyrus, Adlai hastily wrote.

 

Dearest, sweet heart. You were right! Your father has been planning against us for some time. I feel betrayed, and will not give you up without a fight. I have a plan to smuggle you on board a ship tonight before it sails. If you come, dearest, we can spend the rest of our lives together. Think hard – it’s a terrible decision for you to make. I know that. I will never forgive your father. Never. Meet me after sunset at the grove of palm trees next to the jetty.

Know that I love you dearest Somi – I love you.

 

Sealing the note with care Adlai went in search of Madhul, and found her in the kitchen. From the sorrowful look on her face, Adlai knew that she was aware of the unfolding drama. Over the years, she had come to look upon Adlai as her own son.

“Respected mother, I’m in need . . .”

“Adlai, Adlai - Oh my poor boy,” Madhul wailed as she crossed over to Adlai and enveloped him in a great motherly hug. “Like a dagger has penetrated my flesh, I feel your pain. You and that lovely girl are just made for each other. If . . .”

Adlai was assaulted with the exotic aroma of cinnamon, coriander and other spices.

“I only wish her father acknowledged this – and my uncle. We’d both be happy and free to live our lives.”

“Naughty boy. Don’t blame your uncle. He’s deeply upset and frustrated because his hands are tied. He can do nothing. Nothing. You must understand and not blame him. Oh promise me, you’ll not think ill of your uncle.”

“I won’t promise anything. But, I need to get this note to Somi. Will you take it for me and see it reaches her, and only her?”

Madhul stood back and inspected Adlai. His eyes had an obstinate look and his body was upright and rigid with tension. She sensed the anger within him was ready to explode.

“I’ll do what I can. I have a nephew who is very trustworthy and discreet. But you must understand that Dayaal and I cannot get involved out of respect for your uncle. But as I love you, I’ll do what I can.”

Then with a loud cry, she drew Adlai up against her heavily scented and womanly body,

“Aieeeyah! The troubles of young people in love. The lord Krishna is testing you. You’ll find young master that life will take many unpleasant turns in your journey. But know that Madhul loves you with all her heart – and very generous body.” This last with much giggling and heaving of her ripe breasts.

 

But as Adlai disengaged himself and left, Madhul looked after him with a worried frown.

* * * 

 

Adlai spent the rest of the afternoon preparing to leave Barbarikon. But with very mixed feelings. When he came here, he was recovering from a bitter sadness over the death of his sister. In many ways, living in Hindustan had changed him. Certainly, his sorrow had diminished and he’d acquired a semblance of maturity. And he’d met Somya.

 

Somi, Somi, Somi . . . I can’t bear the suspense of not knowing what’s happening. By now, my note would’ve been delivered. What more can I do? Older people don’t understand how much we‘re in love. It’s awful. Two people in love should be celebrated, not punished. Not reviled. Sure, I lust for her. Why shouldn’t I? I’m young and healthy. My body cries out for relief whenever I just look at her. I’m not going to spend the rest of my life relieving myself when the cause of my passion wants to return my love. No – I’m not! She has the same needs as I do. Bugger them!

* * * 

 

“Harami 56! Randi ke bacche! 57 ” These harsh words rang around the governor’s office and were in contrast to the pleasant frescoes etched upon the walls.

Kirit looked up from reading the note just given to him. A wave of competing emotions raged within him. Anger, fear, confusion, and surprise – just to name a few. He stared into the hard and hostile face of the Governor.

Gajbaahu was a stern and fit looking man in his late fifties. He had the swarthy features of his race with the obligatory wide moustache covering his upper lip. But now his mouth was set tight lipped while his eyes blazed with anger.

“I take it then, you had no idea that this plan was afoot? I take it then, that this is the first time you have had knowledge of the boy’s plan?”

“Your honour, respected Governor, I’m aghast . . . I . . . um . . . believe me I’m just as angry and shocked as you! How the boy could conspire behind my back is shocking. Of course, my daughter has no knowledge of the plan. None.

She is safely at home with her mother getting ready for the honour of being betrothed to your son.” And then Kirit asked the obvious question,

“I’m confused – how did you come upon this note?”

“Just by chance. Indeed, just by chance. Two of my soldiers apprehended a young boy who they thought was stealing. When they examined him, they found the note and brought it straight to my attention. Then I had you summoned. I have your word therefore that you knew nothing of this plot?”

“No – Of course not.” Said Kirit emphatically. “Why would I want my beautiful daughter to run away with a boy from Palestine? Unthinkable”.

Gajbaahu stood up to signal that the interview was over. In passing he said,

“I’ll have the boy arrested and executed this very night. That will be the end of it.”

Alarmed, Kirit cried out,

“Please, please your honour. Let me deal with the matter. He’s just a boy and I’m sure meant no harm. He is being sent home tonight by ship. Once he is

gone, that will be punishment enough. We will say that as punishment for offering offence, he will be banished – deported.”

Gajbaahu was about to stride out of the room but he turned and pointed his finger menacingly at Kirit,

“Meant no harm. Did you say he meant no harm? He was going to steal my son’s bride. If that isn’t causing harm – what do you call it?”

Kirit chose to ignore Gajbaahu who faced him with a steady glare. There was menace in the atmosphere. A better response was to divert the threat.

“He has caused harm to me also. He has offended me deeply. I can never forgive him. The offense has caused a great rift between his uncle - who is also my business partner – and my family. Because I have been deeply offended I claim the right to decide his punishment.”

Before Gajbaahu could reply, Kirit rushed on - needing to control the situation,

“I agree he must be punished and punished severely. The act of executing him would have the effect of removing him forever. I put to you that banishment will achieve the same purpose – without blood being spilt. Killing him would weigh on my conscience till my death. I can’t live with that. It would also destroy my business with his uncle that promises prosperity for our country. Not only prosperity for our country but for each of us individually.” Pausing to regain breath, he implored,

“Please, I beg you. Give me the right to choose his fate.”

For several moments, Gajbaahu glared at Kirit who detected a slight softening in the governors menacing posture.

Silence . . .

At last, Gajbaahu said,

“So be it then. Adlai ben Yusuf is hereby banished forever. If he attempts to come back, he will face immediate execution – as will his uncle. See that it is done.” As Gajbaahu turned to leave a very relieved Kirit exclaimed,

“Thank you your honour. Will you assign me three guards to arrest him and escort him to the ship? Immediately. I want him guarded until the ship sails.”

But this stopped Gajbaahu in his leaving. He swung around to face Kirit,

“Do you imply that banishment under pain of death will not deter this impudent youth? That you’ll need armed guards to ensure my decision is carried out. Perhaps it would be easier to execute him and be done with it.”

Realizing that he’d made a mistake, Kirit rushed to retrieve himself, “No, no, no. I only thought that having guards to arrest him would show him that your authority is absolute. That your decision is being enforced. Please – I meant nothing otherwise.”

“Hmm . . . Very well. Very well. Enough time has been spent on this errant youth. Wait outside and the captain of my guard will assign a detail to you.”

But as a parting thought he enquired,

“I trust our wives are progressing with the arrangements for our children’s betrothal?” And left the room.

* * * 

 

The knock – more of a thump – startled Madhul as she was peeling onions. It was quickly followed by a loud and rough voice ordering,

“Open up! In the name of Governor Gajbaahu. Open up at once!"

Suddenly frightened she stopped peeling and almost ran to the front gate. Some inner sense told her that trouble was knocking. On opening the gate, four of the Governors’ guards immediately shouldered their way into the villa. And with them was Kirit. Once inside a senior guard challenged,

“Caci 58! We have come here to arrest Adlai ben Yusuf on orders of Governor Gajbaahu. Bring him out – immediately, immediately you hear!”

The loud menacing voice disturbed several small birds and they took to flight with a frantic fluttering of wings.

Instinctively, Madhul covered her mouth and gazed fearfully at the senior guard. And he was a terrifying sight. Short and sturdy and in full uniform with a leather skirt and tunic. On his head, he wore the distinctive tall helmet favored by the Indo-Scythian warrior. And he would tolerate no nonsense.

Madhul was immobilized by fright. Her heart was pounding and fear consumed her. The guard took her silence as defiance.

“Where is the boy? Listen to me auntie, if you don’t tell me where he is I’ll cut both of your ample breasts off.”

This jolted Madhul out of her catatonic state. In a chocking voice she stammered,

“I . . . think he’s . . . in the gar . . . garden. Pl . . . Please don’t hu . . . hurt me. Please”

With that information, the guards pushed past her and stormed into the courtyard - closely followed by Kirit.

And on seeing Kirit, Madhul knew what had happened. Kirit had Adlai’s note in his hand.

In the courtyard, Idra and Adlai were discussing the departure. Idra handed over a note for Adlai to give to Cephas when Adlai arrived in Alexandria from Berenice. To Idra, Adlai seemed to have calmed down and in fact was being almost reasonable.

“. . . when you arrive in Berenice, please arrange a storehouse similar to what you’ve established here. I’ve already begun the process and have had talks with my agent, Amenkno 59 about our affairs, so your needs won’t be unexpected.” But an unpleasant thought crossed Idra’s mind.

No – I’ll not mention the catamite who Cephas is living with. I only hope that nasty situation has resolved itself by the time Adlai reaches Egypt. Adlai

has enough to contend with now – I don’t want to give another problem to him. Anyway, I don’t want to get involved.

 

“Yes uncle, I know what you want and I’ll make sure your instructions are followed implicitly. I’ll get in touch with Cephas – It’ll be good to see him again. It’s been a long time.”

“I must say you’ve calmed down since our last talk. Distasteful as it is, your leaving now is the only way to resolve a nasty situation. My boy, if she had gotten with child, I do believe your life might be forfeit. But let’s not go there.”

“Don’t think that I’ve given up uncle. You should know me better than that. You also have not understood the love we have . . .”

Both men turned towards a noise of loud knocking. It sounded like trouble. With perplexed frowns, they started towards the intrusive sound of loud voices, which were becoming louder. Then they heard Madhul’s voice crying out with fear.

Some instinct within alerted Adlai to threat. Instantly his heart rate increased and his pupils dilated, as his body began to prepare for danger. Then both Adlai and Idra stopped abruptly as four guards, with weapons drawn, burst into the courtyard. Recognizing Adlai, they advanced menacingly towards him. In a flash, Adlai saw Kirit and the document he held in his hand.

Betrayed.

The guards reached out to pinion his arms. Now Adlai’s body reacted with a thickening of his blood vessels and a surge of adrenalin throughout his entire muscular system. Automatically he went into attack. Without even thinking, he drove his fist into the guard immediately in front of him and as the fellow doubled over in pain; hit him with a vicious right hook to his chin. The guard went down without a sound. Now another soldier raced forward and Adlai simply head butted him viciously. Stunned the guard sank to his knees.

With two soldiers immobilized, Adlai looked around for an escape. There was a Jamun tree in the courtyard with a branch spreading over the villa’s roof.

Escape!

He made for the tree with two guards hot on his heels. Scrambling up to reach the branch, Adlai was almost within reach when he felt someone grab his ankles.

And so the drama became deadlocked with Adlai struggling to free himself of the hold on his ankles and the soldier below, holding grimly on. But then the remaining guard climbed nimbly up the guard’s shoulders and encased Adlai in his strong arms - dragging Adlai to the ground.

It was over. Adlai was then bound with his arms behind him and to stop his yelling obscenities, they gagged him.

All this had only take a few minutes with Kirit and Idra being simple bystanders.

Idra was furious with Kirit, thinking him heavy handed and callous. But when Kirit silently handed over Adlai’s note, it all became clear. Idra was stunned – and then angry.

“The fool. The stupid childish little fool. Obviously, he’d made a plan to elope with Somya. How did you find out?”

And then Kirit told Idra the full story bringing him up to date - leaving nothing out. Particularly the meeting with Gajbaahu.

“So he’s been banished, never to return under pain of death. I have to thank you brother for interceding for his life – and mine. One day he’ll understand the service he owes you. Youth!” sighed Idra with exasperation. “Youth!”

Without any formal leave- taking, Adlai was marched, bound, and gagged, to the ship now readying for departure. Under the care of the captain, he was placed in seclusion, to remain bound until the dhow was well out to sea.

“They are very much in love, you know.” Idra spoke this in a soft and low voice almost as if he was talking to himself. But then he turned to Kirit and,

“You and I are going to be resented for a long time – if not forever. What we have done this day may come back to haunt us.”

“’tis I who they’ll seek to punish. You my friend are a simple bystander in the drama. My daughter already cry’s ‘hate’ and regards me with contemptuous stares. But we know that time will heal the wounds. They are young and time will see that they come to terms with this misfortune.”

“I hope so. Oh, I really hope so Kirit. But my heart is heavy and I worry about young Adlai and the long- term impact. Remember it’s only a few years since he lost his sister in terrible circumstances. Now, he has lost the love of his life. I really hope that this day will not scar him for life. Both my heart and soul are heavy with guilt.”

“Now, now my friend, don’t take it all upon you. We have done the right thing. I really believe that. Look, I recall you saying that Adlai’s parents would not take kindly to a son- in-law who is not of their faith and customs. You said it yourself. Let’s look at it another way. If you had done nothing and Adlai and Somya had wed, then your brother would not have been happy. Right?”

With a sigh, Idra relented,

“Yes, yes you’re right of course. But I worry about Adlai’s emotional state. Will he be able to overcome the twin trauma of his sister and now Somya? That is what weighs heavily with me.”

“Knowing Adlai as I do and watching him grow into the fine young man that he has become, I’d say his character is being forged on adversity. He’s going to emerge a very strong young man. Were circumstances different, I’d have no hesitation in welcoming him into my family. No hesitation at all. But, my friend, you and I must deal with reality. And I think we have chastised ourselves long enough. Come let us do what all males do when confronted with emotional issues – let’s go drink some wine.”

At that Idra laughed heartily and slapping Kirit on the shoulder

“An excellent suggestion. Yes indeed. Excellent. But first, I must say my farewell to my nephew. I owe him at least that.”

* * * 

 

Adlai was in a very bad place. A very dark, bad place. Although he was interred below deck, the gloom had nothing to do with his emotional desolation. He had simply lost the will to keep on breathing. Some poor souls, in similar circumstances, are never able to conquer the despair, the blackness, the tears, and the pain. For painful it is. There is no salve to soften the pain and to many it simply becomes unbearable. They give up; and slowly die.

But not Adlai.

Somewhere within his tortured core, Adlai nurtured a reserve of emotional strength. Like the tempering of a beautiful sword, Adlai’s character only grew stronger with adversity. Suffering and hardship became positive forces in his development as a person.

But, of course, he was totally unaware that he was growing stronger – he just felt miserable. And alone. And uncomfortable.

He lay below deck in an area reserved for sleeping, nearby to the cargo area with his arms still bound. His ankles had been freed and the gag removed. Propped, using the hull walls as support, he sat with shoulders slumped, staring into nowhere.

“Adlai. Adlai, I’m so sorry. I really am dreadfully sorry. Please lad look at me. Please.”

Somewhere within the mists of his misery, Adlai heard the words spoken to him and he forced himself to look up. At his uncle. All he could manage was,

“I love her, uncle. I love her.”

“I know that lad. Believe me I understand. I can well understand your pain and that I had to play a part in this sorry affair, fills me with misery.” Then with a long sigh, he continued. “But let me tell you what happened.”

And so Idra told Adlai the full sequence of events that led him to this wretched state. When he finished he added,

“It is your terrible misfortune to have challenged the supreme authority of this place and so you’ve been punished even though you have committed no crime. It is indeed heartbreaking.”

Adlai barely heard but at least he knew the truth. The eyes of a frightened eight-year-old child looked up at Idra out of a twenty-one year old young man’s face.

“Why, uncle, why me? Why does tragedy follow me wherever I go? Why do those I love have to die? Am I cursed? Would it not be better for all if I simply depart this life before another of my love-one’s suffer? Why does Yahweh hate me so?”

Questions that deserved answers – even if there weren’t any. And then . .

.Silence.

. . . Except for the lapping of waves against the hull. But now other sounds also became prevalent. There was a creaking of the lines securing the dhow to the jetty and the sound of a rising wind through the rigging. Departure time was imminent.

Idra absorbed Adlai’s words with a leaden heart and using a fatherly tone he counseled,

“Adlai, we have all asked the same question when our lives become embroiled in misfortune. I don’t have an answer lad. I wish I did. Perhaps somewhere, somehow you’ll be enlightened. I only wish I could offer more comfort.”

Ignoring Idra, Adlai struggled to form words, but eventually, almost to himself,

“I must not ever love anyone anymore. From this point forward, I’ll not share my heart with anybody. Uncle, look what love has done to me. Here I lay, trussed up like a beast embarking on a journey against my will and in fear of my life. I came here seeking to escape the Romans and now I leave forcibly, to escape the Hindi. My life sucks.”

He’s becoming full of self-pity. I can’t leave him in this frame of mind. I feel sure Adlai won’t harm himself but somehow I have to encourage him to rise above all this misery. If only his abba was here.

With a sigh, Idra responded in a soft but earnest voice,

“Adlai . . . lad, I can’t somehow relieve the anguish you’re now experiencing. But I can assure you that in, say . . . two weeks time you’ll feel better. Time does heal. Of that, I can assure you. Now give me some words that I can take to Somya. I can’t untie your hands but I’ll faithfully pass on your message to the young lady. I swear to you. Adlai, you have my pledge. Talk to me lad – please.”

With his residual emotional strength almost exhausted, Adlai said in a wooden voice,

“Just tell her I love her. She’ll understand.”

“I shall. I’ll go from here and tell her straightaway. I promise you upon my soul.” And then with infinite sadness, Idra continued, “I must go now Adlai. The ship is ready to depart. As soon as possible, the captain, whose name is Makul, will release you. I have given him extra funds to ensure you have a gentle crossing and to somehow make amends for the grief my actions have caused.”

Standing now, Idra surveyed his charge and experienced a wave of desolation. Almost to himself he added,

“Will you ever forgive me Adlai?”

 

Appendix Notes

 

46: Indian Ocean

47: Our Sea i.e. Mediterranean

48: Governors’ son

49: Shit!

50: Bastards!

51: Dog fucker!

52: Bitch!

53: Shove shit up your arse!

54: Daughter fucker!

55: Son of a whore! 56: Bastard

57: Son of a whore

58: Auntie

 

Characters:

 

... In INDIA

 

Gajbaahu >>> Governor of Minnagara and subject of Hajatria ruling in Taxila

Fulmala >>> Sister to Somya and daughter of Kirit and Jalbala

Naarad >>> Son of Governor Gajbaahu

Kirit >>> Manager of Barbarikon warehouse and father of Somya

Jalbala >>> Wife of Kirit and mother of Somya

Dayaal >>> Steward to Adlai’s house in Barbarikon

Hajatria >>>Scythian King

Somya >>> Daughter of Kirit and Jalbala

 

Thanx for reading. Hope you enjoy!
Copyright © 2017 grahamsealby; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Does this chapter explain why Adlai probably never has another woman in his life? There are people who only love once in life and maybe Adlai is one of those. I'm glad to know that Cephas is doing well in Egypt, even if he's living with a dreadful catamite (Oh the HORROR!).

I hope he's fun.

 

Edited by Stephen
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..