Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 6,531 Words
  • 1,336 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Billabong - 6. Chapter 6

With the War Games ending, normal daily routine returned to the Larrakeyah barracks. Days merged into weeks, thence into months. But beneath the false impression of calm and peace, there were tensions gathering momentum. Mark and Scott continued in their relationship and although they tried to hide their relationship, they couldn't. Other persons were aware but decided to say nothing, preferring to see if the affair would implode by its own volition. They were to be mistaken, because the two men were falling more deeply in love with each passing day. In fact their relationship was unique in that the longer they were together, the deeper they were in love.

Their sexual life had progressed to the highest level; all they wanted to accomplish was to give pleasure to each other. On several occasions Mark had penetrated Scott but as an experiment, it wasn't very successful; they trialled, so that the act itself would never become banal. They literally couldn't get enough of each other.

The trouble was that they had a ‘blinkered' view of the world; their affection for each other blinded them to reality. There came a point in time that Jason decided to accost Scott about the danger he and Mark faced. They met, as usual, in the cafeteria.

* * *

6.2

With beverages in hand they sat themselves in a secluded corner and took a relaxed sip of their drinks before talking.

'If there's one thing that I want improved around here is the coffee. I don't know what yours tastes like Scott, but mine's terrible. How hard is it to brew a decent cup of coffee that doesn't taste like a gorilla's arsehole?'

'Yeah, that's why I've switched to tea, it's just marginally better than the coffee; by the way Jason, I've never tasted a gorilla's arsehole, have you?'

'OH funny, funny. I won't tell you what I've been up to, and you don't tell me what you've done - deal?.'

They sat awhile in silence, trying to enjoy their drinks. Scott had some idea why his friend decided to meet with him but determined to let him bring the matter up. When Jason did finally talk it surprised Scott.

'It seems these gay murders in Darwin have suddenly stopped. I was getting really anxious, because I knew my Yankee friend did troll those beats, and I feared for him. (Scott sipped and then played with his mug) The grapevine says it's an Aussie doing the killings and I find that convincing.'

'Hey, what do you mean the killer is an Aussie?'

.'Well it only stands to reason, don't it? If he's only murdering Yanks, by bashing them up, he must have a hatred of Americans. Odds are therefore that an Aussie is doin' the dirty work.'

(Slowly) Maybe, maybe you're right Jason; but it's long stretch ain't it? I mean, there are other nationalities around Darwin, Indonesians, Chinese, Eurasians, to name just a few. But then again, I don't think such nationals would target US servicemen. No I think you're right, it could well be an Aussie; but does it have to be an Aussie serviceman?'

'Not really, it's just pure conjecture. If it is, who would be your obvious choice? I mean who do we know is capable of physical brutality?'

'(Laughing) If you're trying to imply that Corporal Bert Kreek may be our candidate, then spot on, that creep is capable of doing a lot of damage. What do you think Jason, should we go to the authorities and tell of our suspicions?'

'Nah, it's just a thought. We don't have any concrete evidence to support our suspicions. Of course, we should keep an open mind and if we find anything concrete then we'll punt it upstairs.'

'Wait a minute, didn't you imply earlier on that you're happy with your partner trolling for sex? I thought the two of you were exclusive. Doesn't it upset you knowing that he's doing the beats?'

'Well yes, but I've had to be practical. We only have a relationship based on need; (sounding depressed) we decided that making any further commitment was impractical. After all, we both could be reassigned elseware at a moment's notice, and maybe not see each other again. (Sadly) Look, I'm not happy about it because, in the long run, I'm looking for a soul-mate. I just had to accept that it wasn't going to happen with Joe. Don't get me wrong, we get along fine, and the sex is great, but . . . well, that's all it's ever goin' to be.'

'Jesus mate, that's shitty; I only hope ya don't get too bent because of the guy. I gotta say that in finding Mark, I'll be happy to settle down for the long haul. I mean one-night stands can be lottsa fun, but when you're with someone and you're really connected, it feels wonderful. I only hope that someday you'll find your Prince Charming.'

'So you reckon you and Mark are gonna be together, forever?'

'Yep; looks that way.'

'Then you're a bloody fool Scott! (Scott tried to respond angrily) .No, hear me out boyo. If you think your affair is unnoticed then you're in for a surprise. Just about everyone knows about it, but no one wants to pull the plug, so to speak. You're both in flagrant violation of the anti-fraternization rules, and you're both headed for trouble. I guess the only reason no one's said anything is because both of you are liked and respected. It will only take some cretin like Kreek to expose you publically, then the matter becomes something the army can't ignore. Your both living on borrowed time.'

'You sure that you're not telling me this because you're jealous?'

'OH FER CHRIST'S SAKE! (Jason's explosion made people look around at them). Don't you dare say that! Here Am I trying to warn you, my best friend, and you accuse me of being jealous. That's way beneath you Scott. I should be insulted, but it's clear you're not thinking clearly; your love for Mark has made you deaf and blind. Actually, that applies to both of you.'

(Ashamed) Oh shit Jason, I'm sorry; I'm really sorry for suggesting an ulterior motive. I know you're only thinking about my best interests. Please, please forgive me.'

'Hey, that's OK; (reaching over and giving Scott's arm a squeeze) I just don't want to see you hurt. Look, it may never happen. It's been several months now, and no one's objected; but what about Sergeant Reading, does he know about the two of you?'

'(Slow to respond) If, as you say, others know about us, then I guess the Sarg would be one of the first to understand. As he hasn't raised any objection then I guess he's OK with us; or I hope he is.'

'Look, I've said my piece and warned you. It's up to you and Mark now to handle the situation.'

* * *

6.3

(Ring (Ring) ‘Sergeant Jack Rawlings here.'

'Hi Jack, it's Grant Williams. Just thought I'd fill you in on the next step with our suspect. (Pause) We plan on doing a foot locker inspection in two days' time. It'll be after morning PT, and to keep it as a surprise we'll announce just before PT[1] starts.

'How are you gonna handle it Grant? Won't it make him suspicious?'

'Perhaps, who cares. (Transferring his phone to the other ear) I mean we want him to feel harassed and uncomfortable don't we? The surprise drug inspection of all foot lockers, is within our remit, so it won't come as a anything out of the ordinary. We'll start with his quarters and do a thorough search of every service man's locker in his billet. Just keep yer fingers crossed that he hasn't changed the button thread.'

Noticing Scott hovering nearby, Jack lowered his voice.

'Well, it'll make some coves shit they're pants. (Chuckling) I bet you come up with some illegal substances as a result; it won't be a total lost cause. Anyway, lots of luck, and thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to see the result; and by the way, (laughing) where do you advise I put all my illegal gear, so's you don't clobber me?'

'(Laughing) Same place as I keep mine Jack.'

Grant replaced the receiver, and mused

Well let's see what happens now. With luck we'll get Kreek's tunic with the replaced button and thread. It'll be the start of putting pressure on the cretin, and let him know that we've got him in our sights. Of course he'll have a good excuse for the replaced button, but he'll know the truth. If he believes that we know the truth then he'll start to sweat.

* * *

6.4

Several days later the announcement was made, and as soon as PT finished, all squaddies headed for their particular quarters. At each billet they stood at ease in front of their opened foot lockers as MP's and officers inspected the contents for contraband. There were 20 men in Kreek's unit, and they barely had time after returning from PT before the inspection commenced.

Kreek was not nervous because he'd taken the caution of removing his marijuana and other soft drugs to a safer place. Drug inspections were a part of life in the ADF, and it was only an idiot who kept his stash in plain sight. Being a corporal, his foot locker was at the end of the room, so he had time to see what was happening down the line.

Curious. For some reason he could see the MP's inspecting all the locker contents and in some cases the carefully folded tunics were being pulled out for inspection. Of course he didn't know that this was just for his benefit. Slowly the inspection moved towards him, and for some reason he began to feel uneasy. Then it was his turn.

'For the record Corporal, do you acknowledge the contents of this foot locker belong to you, Corporal Bert Kreek?'

'Yes, that's correct.'

'By now you should know the procedure. Please place all items on your bunk; don't worry we won't disturb any neat folds.'

When he did this the MP had a quick inspection and then picked up his tunic.

'We'd like to take possession for further review. That won't be a problem will it Corporal?'

'No sir, but why? Why take my tunic?’

'The army don't have to give reasons Corporal, you should know that. You'll have the item back quickly. Thank you for helping.'

All of a sudden Kreek tasted fear. His bowels started to liquefy.

That bloody button! It didn't bother me when I found it missing ‘cause a replacement was easy to get. Now they want my tunic. Jeesus, I don't like the sound of this. What on earth could they want with my tunic?

* * *

6.5

'No I wasn't informed about any surprise foot locker inspection, but that's not unusual. The MP's are entitled to do surprise locker inspections; it's part of their security remit. Why are you asking? Is it going to be a problem?'

'I don't know. They took my Tunic away and wouldn’t give me a reason. I mean, I don't understand, there's nothing incriminating on the tunic, as I had it freshly cleaned after the last episode. I'm positive they can't get any evidence from the garment, absolutely certain. Then again, for some reason I feel apprehensive. Do you know anything that I don't know?'

'Nooo, not really. All I can do is chastise the MP's for not giving me a courtesy warning in advance. I can't ask why they took your tunic as that would raise embarrassing questions, such as why you had to contact me. You see my drift?'

'Yes, that I understand, and I wouldn't want to implicate you in this matter. All the same I'm anxious, for no apparent reason; my intuition is working overtime.'

'Well, just try and keep yer powder dry and don't go making problems when no problems exist. Next time don't call me during working hours; I told you to contact me at home in the evening, so please do that in future. OK?'

'Yes sir, it's just for some unaccountable reason, I feel unsettled. I thought you may be able to ease my concerns.'

'Listen Corporal, I let you have your head because I happen to think like you do. But I'm not a nursery maid, I can't hold your hand and hug you every time you get ‘unsettled'. Grow Up, Man Up!'

* * *

6.6

With each stroke Scott could feel his orgasm approaching, and as he looked down into his lover's smoky eyes, knew that Mark was also very close. By now he had perfected the art of hand massaging his lover so that their climaxes were almost simultaneous. Then with one final thrust he bellowed his release, and flooded into Mark's waiting body. They stayed locked together, their mouths expressing gratitude as the waves of pleasure abated; the air was redolent with the smell of sex and sweat, but this did not distract the two lovers as they savoured the after-glow of their love-making.

Scott raised himself up on his hands and commented,

'Wow! And wow again. It's impossible, but every time we have sex it just gets better. You're turning me into a sex-pig mon capitaine; after we finish, I start looking forward to the next. I'm intoxicated with love; I've become an addict.'

Mark used his hands and pulled Scott down for another kiss. Then he whispered into Scott's ear,

'I'm totally in love with you Scott; sometimes people say that, and it can sound trite if they say it often enough, but I've given my soul to you mate. As someone once said, ‘who needs to count the ways of loving, just to love is love itself'. At work It's agony seeing you and being so close, and not being able to touch, kiss or cuddle. In fact I can't envision a situation where you won't be the most important person in my life. Now get off me, it's too bloody hot.'

Scott settled himself comfortably with his head cradled by Mark's arms. Gently, Mark played with Scott's hair.

(Softly) Yeah, I love you too big boy. In the past I've been attracted to guys and thought I was in love, (sigh) but I've never felt like this before. I guess it's love when all you want to do is make your partner happy. Being in love means being totally unselfish and caring only for the other person. That's what I feel about you Mark; if the occasion arose I'd give my life for you - without hesitation.'

There was a pleasant silent, but intimate pause. Then Mark leaned down and softly kissed Scott's lips with barely controlled passion. There was no physical need in the kiss, just a statement of deep love.

'Does that mean you like me, lover?'

'Just a tad.'

(Sigh) ‘Life could really be beautiful if it wasn't for that bloody elephant in the room.'

'What do you mean?'

'Us, and the army.'

'What about us and the army?'

'C'mon, I'm talking about the army's anti-fraternization rules. You know we're flouting trouble. Jason caught me yesterday, and told me that our relationship was common knowledge; that we should be prepared for trouble.'

'Bullshit! Jason's just probably jealous. Don't listen to him Scott. On the other hand, if people do know about us and no-ones raised the issue, then it tells me everything's gonna be ok. I mean, (gently rubbing Scott's left nipple) sometimes I catch the Sergeant giving me a disapproving look behind me back, but he's never come out and voiced his censure. After all, we can't be castigated because we're gay, can we? No. And as for the fraternization issue, as long as we keep doing our jobs, and doing them well, the army can't touch us. Anyway, if the army is having a problem with the two of us, I'd have heard of it by now. To set yer mind at rest, I'd hear about any official censure long before you would as I'm the officer. Understand?'

'Yeah of course, but I just hope we're not kidding ourselves and letting our love for each other blind us to reality. Jason was fairly forceful on the issue. We should at least take his warning to heart and be prepared.'

'Nonsense! Look it's good that you've got a mate looking after yer six, but let me assure you that there ain't a problem. Stop thinking like that and worrying yerself unnecessarily. There isn't a problem, nor will there be a problem . . . OK? Now, when are we goin' back to our billabong?'

* * *

6.7

(ring), (ring), (ring), (ring)'Hello (breathless) Sergeant jack Rawlings here.'

'Jack, it's Grant.'

'Yeah, I've been waiting to hear from you. Sorry I had to race to get to the phone, so I'm a little out of breath.'

'Sure it's not just old age? Anyway, we've got him! The tunic we took and which he witnessed was his, still has the button sown in with white thread. You can imagine how relieved is was that he hadn't twigged and changed the yarn to khaki.'

'Hey, that's great news Grant; so, what's the next move?'

'As I discussed before, both Bart and I will interview him and present our facts. We all know we don't have smoking-gun type evidence, but we'll put the ball right at his feet. What he wants to do with it is up to him. It's gonna be interesting to see his response. We'll be taping the interview, so I'll get a copy for you to look at soon after; all in all, it's a move in the right direction.'

'Geeze, that's great Grant. I can't wait to see what happens. When do you plan on doing the interview?'

'Probably tomorrow here in my interview room. There'll be just Bart, myself and Kreek. If he demands a lawyer present, then we'll have to comply; anyway I'll let you know how it went.

'Can't wait Grant; creeps like Kreek are a blot on any man's army, and the sooner we get rid of him the better.'

'You've got it; bye now, I'll get back to you.'

* * *

6.8

'Corporal I want to introduce Warrant Officer Bart Madden of the American MP contingent. The matter we'll be discussing concerns the recent spate of murders of US servicemen . . .

'You mean Queers, don't you? American army poofters!'

Bart Madden started to object but Grant silenced him with a look.

. . . in (naming site) park, on the dates of (naming dates). This is the second interview with you on the matter, and I must stress this is an interview, not an interrogation. In fact we'll simply be talking to you, and we'll not be asking questions that, in responding, you may incriminate yourself. We'll also be videoing the conversation as a protection of your rights. Is this OK? (Kreek nodded). Alright, let's begin.'

They were meeting in the official interview room at the MP's quarters. It was a bland room, all grey much like Grant's office, with the exception of a window. Also the room was bare of decorations; the only contents being a recording machine in one corner. The table was rectangular, with Grant and Kreek facing each other on the long sides, and Bart Madden on the short side; Psychologically, Madden was at the table's top. Grant proceeded,

'(Leaning forward assertively) Since our last meeting, the investigation of these crimes has progressed, and we believe significant evidence has come to light. But before I go any further let me outline the broader aspects of our enquiries. As you're no doubt aware, there are three elements of any crime, whether it be a capital or lesser crime. These are Motive, Means and Opportunity; are you familiar with these, Corporal? (Kreek nodded but looked perplexed). OK, as much as it pains me to say so, and with particular regard to your excellent army record, you've become a person of interest - to use that lingo - and I want to explain why we're having this little talk.'

'Excuse me Warrant Officer, are you saying I'm a suspect, and you think I did these crimes?'

'As I said at our last meeting Corporal, everyone's a suspect until eliminated from our enquiries . . .'

'But why me? I've given you no cause to even think that I could be a suspect. With all due respect, I must ask that you put your cards on the table, tell me why I could be considered a suspect and stop pussey-footing around. Also. If I'm considered a suspect should I not have legal counsel with me?'

'You certainly can, and this is your absolute right. But, I stress again, we're not gonna ask you any questions; there's no way that you can incriminate yourself as a result of our meeting. I must stress that. Your role is simply to listen, OK? (Kreek hesitantly nodded). OK, let's examine the Motive element first; let me play back your comments on gays from our last meeting'

At a switch, the sound of Kreek's voice filled the room,

'(As recorded) Well they just disgust me! No, that's not quite right; I don't abhor them as persons, well I do, but it's more what they do. Men having sex with men, sticking cocks up arseholes, men kissing men; it makes me sick. And what about combat? If a queer sees an enemy that he fancies, he will want to make love not war; it could undermine discipline, cohesiveness, and lose the battle.'

'Those were your words Corporal, were they not?'

'Yes, of course they are. Incidentally, I don't remember you telling me that you were recording that meeting. Isn't that a violation of my rights?'

'No, because you weren't being charged with anything; it's standard procedure to protect the rights of both parties, should the need arise.'

(Bart interjected) It's standard procedure in all armies corporal. It stops anyone from saying things that aren't true. Believe me it's for everyone's protection.'

'(Derogatory) Ahhh, those dulcet Yankee tones. I was wondering when the mountain would speak. You know you should try losing a little weight Warrant Officer, being fat is not good for your health.'

(Grinning evilly)'Thank you Corporal, your advice is duly noted.'

'Corporal, let's continue like civilized men, there's no need to be insulting.'

'Oh you misunderstood WO, I was just trying to help with the American's weight problem which incidentally relates to all American's - they're all basically overweight!'

'That's enough Corporal. Getting back to the issue, you really have it in for gays don't you? I mean, you've even assaulted some of our own Aussie gay men. You'll recall a report was filed about an altercation with two corporals after PT just recently. You recollect that Corporal?'

'Yeah, of course I do, and to answer your next question they disgust me; not to mention that homosexuality is a sin in God's eyes. I mean don't it disgust you to think about sticking yer cock up someone's shitty arse? It's dirty, it's repulsive and it's unhealthy; their practices are indecent and they all should be sent to hell!'

'Wow! That's a mouthful Bert. Fortunately your thinking is out of touch with the modern world. Most civilized folk accept homosexuality as a norm and are apologetic for past discrimination. We all have to live together Bert, we have to live together and accept others who don't share our own beliefs or in your case, prejudices.'

Kreek stayed silent but obviously upset because his eyes were protruding.

'Now let's discuss Motive again, and in particular your hated of Americans. (Kreek went to comment but stayed silent with pursed lips). Once again let me replay your commentary at our first meeting, I asked you how you felt about Americans. Once again, the room was filled with Kreek's voice.

<<<<< Recording >>>>>

'(Angrily) They're bullshit artists! They wail about the flag and their democracy, but it's all bullshit. (Raising his voice) They've got three major cancers eating through their society; Guns, God and Greed. It's a government of the rich, for the rich and by the rich. Poor people are just left to rot away and make do as best they can. No (passionately) I don't like Yanks; they didn't come into the First World War until every other country was exhausted and it took the Japs bombing Pearl Harbour to bring them into the Second World War. Then, unlike other embroiled countries who were basically bankrupt, they simply went on a manufacturing spree that made a few people filthy rich. Well, (intensely) you asked me, so there it is.'

Bart Madden was the first to respond,

'You know Corporal, I'm afraid to ask how you feel about Germans and Japanese. Do you agree with what the Nazis did in World War Two?'

'Hitler should've concentrated on fagotts instead of Jews. He got it wrong.'

'(Bart) I see, I find that repulsive and you a repulsive member of the human race. As to your comments about Americans, yes some of what you say is true, but in my country you have the right to say and think anything you want. It's a little thing called freedom, freedom of speech, freedom of religion and freedom to better yourself. You’re cherry-picking Corporal, stressing negatives and ignoring all the positives. Let me ask you, have you ever visited my country?'

'No (hesitantly) and I don't see what that’s got to do with anything. I don't have to visit your country to hear about say, your medical system. I've read of persons having to mortgage their homes just to pay of Medical bills. True? (Bart said nothing) there, you can't answer can you. I hope we never adopt your medical system.'

(Grant)'All you're talking about Corporal is American systems, not American people. I've visited the US and find the people friendly, courteous and interested in Australia. Why do you have such a dislike of American people; is it something personal?'

'(Stringent) That's my business, not yours!'

Y'know, someone like this Yankee pile of shit could be me father. I'm so ashamed; if ever I get to meet the bastard I'll chop him into little pieces.

'Alright then, let's summarize. In terms of motive I guess we can say that your hated of gays and American's gives you motive. Do you agree?'

'Hey, I thought I wasn't required to answer questions?

'Yes of course, my bad; let me rephrase. Based on what you've indicated in the past, it reasonable for us to believe that your thinking would qualify as Motive'

'No! there are many people that don't like Poofters and Yanks. Why single me out?'

'Because we can; and I believe that you've given us good reasons to be interested in you! Now let's move on. (Kreek went to interrupt) No . . . I want to finish our conversation. Let me address another component of crime - Opportunity. I asked you to provide your whereabouts on certain nights, which happen to be the dates the murders were committed, yes?'

'I did as best I could; it's difficult to go back and remember where you were at certain times. I gave you a list as best I could remember.'

'But you couldn't name anyone to corroborate the times could you? We only have your word for it, and in a capital case, verification is vital, absolutely vital.'

'(Morosely) Well that's it then. No, I can't get anybody to confirm where I was on those dates. So what of it?'

'The way we look at it, if you can't provide an alibi as to your whereabouts, then we have to say, as reasonable men, that you did indeed have opportunity to commit these crimes. If anyone can substantiate that you were elsewhere on the nights in question, then we'd have to take that as a matter of record. It would be very important for you Corporal to come up with a water-tight alibi on the nights in question.'

'(Belligerent) And if I can't?'

'Then that would be a problem! Now let's turn to the third component, the concept of ‘means', meaning any access to a weapon. In your case, you use your fists and other physical features as weapons, and it's a matter of record that you assaulted two gay corporals just recently. Right? (Kreek nodded). Then we examined your army record and found, on numerous occasions, you like to use physical force to resolve any argument. Our enquiries found that many less aggressive soldiers and cadets are simply scared of you. It's just a matter of record Corporal - your official army record.'

'So what of it! I'm a trained soldier, a honed weapon if you will. Ain't this what the army's for, to kill or kick shit outta the enemy. Why castigate me for simply using me training. (Grinning evilly) Is it my fault or the army's?'

'Yep, you've got a really good point Corporal. Generally speaking however, we train our soldiers to fight the enemy, not their fellow squaddies. I mean we don't want to encourage disharmony amongst the troops as that would be contrary to discipline and affect moral. It's on this matter that I take issue with you; you're dangerous to morale. As a trained soldier you're capable of killing with your bare hands, which is what happened to the US soldiers. They were savagely beaten and then strangled to death, by someone who is a trained killer.'

There was a pause as Kreek and Grant simply stared at each other. It was the corporal who spoke first.

'I don't understand! I'm trying to understand why you've brought me here to listen to you waffling on. I mean, what you've outlined could apply to anybody, yet you've singled me out of all the soldiers here in Darwin, American as well as Aussies. I've had to listen to you trying to build a case against me. This is bullshit! And why is this Yankee mountain of lard sittin' there just starin' at me without saying a word. What's he got to do with it? I reckon I should just leave now; charge me or I'm outta here!'

'(Bart replied menacingly) I'm here to find the killer of my countrymen. Honest soldiers who had the misfortune of being gay and then killed by an Aussie beast here in Darwin. We know it's an Aussie ‘cause one of the victims is still alive. Before he lapsed into a coma he mouthed the word ‘Aussie'. The latest medical advice is that he's a vegetable and will never regain consciousness. The injuries these three boys suffered were caused by a trained animal . . . someone who knew how to kill and kill for pleasure. Now (looking at Grant) let's continue our meeting. You're gonna find it interesting Corporal Kreek.'

'(Grant) Yes, thanks Warrant Officer, I'll continue . . . '

'Hey fellas, if there's nothing to stop me going, then why should I stay and listen to more dribble? I mean if this is the only evidence you've got against the so-called killer, then it's pathetic. You've got nothing!'

'(Bart) Maybe, maybe. Maybe you're right Kreek; maybe what we've got isn't strong as you say. But please just let us continue, hmmm - be patient.'

'So if I could sum up at this point, let's enumerate. Firstly, as the Warrant Officer pointed out, a victim confirmed that his attacker was an Australian. Now to continue, ONE; your expressed hatred of gays, and negative attitude for Americans, gives you motive for the attack on the American soldiers. TWO; without an alibi for the nights in question we can't exclude you as a person of interest and THREE; you have demonstrated, and indeed it's well documented, that you succumb to physical violence with little provocation . . .'

'(Infuriated) All of which is just an opinion, it's circumstantial and could apply to many others and not me. You haven't established any direct connection to myself and, and . . . I’m FUCKIN' MAD. HOW DARE YOU, HOW DARE YOU, BRING ME HERE TO LISTEN TO THIS CRAP! HOW DARE YOU! I'm . . . .'

'Keep it down Kreek, there's no need to shout. As you say, we haven't established any direct link to you . . . but we're not finished.'

Kreek suddenly quietened down and stared a little accusingly at Grant, but slowly becoming warier.

'Then there's the button (Suddenly Kreek bowels became watery). The last victim, in his death struggles, managed to rip a button off his attacker's tunic - an Australian tunic button it has been confirmed. He had it firmly clasped in his hand and was only found on autopsy. Last time we interviewed you, it was noticed that the thread sowing on a tunic button on was white, not regulation khaki. Subsequently, we acquired your tunic and it has been confirmed that a button has been clumsily resewn with non-regulation thread.'

Silence - a long silence.

Oh shit! Shit! shit! That bloody button. The faggot must've pulled it off me as I was strangling him. How did I make such a stupid mistake and not check my tunic? How did anyone spot the button thread? Christ, someone had to have sharpe eyes. Fuck me! That drug search was just a sham to get my tunic officially, and now the bastards have got some direct evidence to pin on me. Shit!, Shit! Think, think, think. Wait . . . that button could have come off for a variety of reasons, couldn't it?

'That's all very interesting WO, but I lost that button some time ago, and sewed it back on myself. I'm not a woman so don't know much about sewing and such. I just picked the wrong thread. Nothing sinister in that, is there?'

This time it was Bart who responded,

'(Grinning wickedly) That's very true (looking at Grant who nodded) there are always alternative reasons for any occurrence. But let's look on balance (Grant nodded for Bart to continue) the weight of evidence is overwhelmingly against you . . . Corporal. You qualify when considering Motive, Opportunity and Means, so when we add the additional evidence of the button, I find you guilty. You killed those men, you killed those US soldiers, and now of course you're going to deny that aren't you?'

(Angry) Too bloody right I'm gonna deny you mister. (Turning to Grant) WO, are you going to let this cretin throw false accusations around. Are you going to let him get away with accusing me falsely?'

'Yes, yes I am. But don't fret Corporal because we're not going to charge you.'

'Huh!

What the fuck is going on here? They go to all the trouble to almost prove that I'm guilty and then say they're not gonna charge me. Something stinks. They both should be looking frustrated, but instead they're looking like the cat licking up the cream. Now I'm worrying. And I don't like the look on the Yankee WO; he's starting to scare me.

'Put very simply Bert we all know you're guilty, so it's only a question of you confessing. We'll be lenient; were not interested in punishment, only to expose the killer. As to your punishment, we'll put in a good word. Of course there's no question of the death penalty. That I can promise.'

'Wait, let me get this straight. You present all this circumstantial evidence, then tell me yer not gonna charge me, but then you find me guilty, then ask me to confess and then tell me yer not interested in any punishment. Have I got this right? (Both Bart and Grant nodded reasonably) Well all I can say is that yer both insane. Yer both wacky, not to mention ridiculous. No, no, no! I'll not sign any stupid confession. Not now, not ever! So on that note I reckon we're done here (starting to get up) I need some sane air.'

'SIT DOWN CORPORAL. We're almost done. I'll let the WO Bart Madden take it from here.'

'Thank you Grant. (Smiling with only his mouth) Corporal let me tell you about someone recently who couldn't be charged through lack of legal evidence, but who was judged to be guilty by a group somewhat akin to a Grand Jury[2]. (Pause) He like you, was found guilty, and asked to confess to his crimes and like you he declined to confess. (Now grinning cruelly) Over the next few months the following happened. He suffered insults on a regular basis; he was shunned and isolated from his fellow squaddies. Then he was ridiculed by his superiors and peers; he was unaccountably excluded from important meetings; he was subjected to electronic bullying in the form of anonymous emails , social media articles; then rumours were spread about his personal habits and sexual appetites; (Bart starred hard at Kreek) he was subjected to frequent and unnecessary inspections of himself and his kit. (Kreek appeared slack-mouthed) His peers were encouraged to intimidate him and insult his family origins; particular nasty insults were made about his mother. (Here Bart paused and adopted a malicious tone of voice) To add to all this, the worst of all was his so-called comments about African Americans; he was reported as using the 'N' word frequently and making racial comments about black people. This led to continuous physical abuse which at times hospitalised him.'

Kreek was aghast, even Grant was stunned. It didn't take any imagination to understand the impact such continuous treatment would have on a person. Shunning in particular was cruel; it was brutal and callous - but effective. As explained by Bart Madden, the treatment metered out was devastating, quite destructive. Even an emotionally strong person must eventually buckle under the impact of such treatment.

There was silence in the room; utter silence. Bert Kreek was white-faced, and a subtle tremor appeared in his hands. His eyes darted around like some animal that was cornered and with no way of escape. Grant almost felt sorry for him - almost. And the longer the silence grew the more effective impact was Bart's description of harassment. The really scary thing was the tone adopted by Madden when outlining the intimidation factors; it was subdued, unemotional and almost a monologue.

'Eventually, in a timid voice, Kreek spoke up,

'What happened to the person in question?'

'Oh, he committed suicide.'

Tears began to form in Kreek's eyes and he had to struggle hard to stop from crying. Both Grant and Bart starred at him in silence until Grant,

'Well that's all for now Corporal. You know where to contact me anytime you wish. Let's call it a day shall we.'

 

 

[1] Physical Training

[2] A grand jury is a legal body empowered to conduct official proceedings and investigate potential criminal conduct and determine whether criminal charges should be brought.

The majority of Australians are proud of our HealthCare system and would never agree to adopting a US style system.
Copyright © 2018 gsealbe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Being "sent to Coventry" it used to be called. And in places like army camps, such isolation can be mentally very destructive. Not sure of its ethics in this case, but Kreek certainly is as unpleasant a character as imaginable, so the outcome of any court case is a foregone conclusion....

 

Our two lovers are risking it all through their blindness, but who hasnt been there before....

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..