Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 1,860 Words
  • 2,971 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Billabong - Prologue. Prologue

The main theme is set.

Colonel Garth Stamins strode confidently and imperiously into the Press Conference Room. Momentarily blinking in the bright lights, he placed his papers on the lectern and stood facing the room. Behind him filed several Army Officers and supportive staff.

He was a tall man - about 6'3' - and carried himself stiffly as much as to deny his 55 years. From a face that was sharp and tanned, piercing grey eyes surveyed the mob of Journo's, army personnel, technicians and spectators. Here at The Larrakeyah Barracks Compound, the main conference room seated 50 persons easily, and with off-white walls and deep maroon carpet the setting was comfortable. On the wall behind the lectern, a large emblem of the Army - the well-known sunburst and crown - stood proudly. In one corner an urn containing hot water burbled softly for those needing tea and coffee

A mess of cables and other technical bits and pieces, snaked in disarray over the carpeted floor.

There was an air of expectation, an air of curiosity, and an air of suspense. The Colonel was known to have strong, sometimes controversial views, and often alarmed his superiors with his forthright comments.

After sweeping his eyes slowly around the room, he cleared his throat and began.

'(Sternly) Ladies and gentlemen thank you for your prompt response to this press conference; I apologize for the short notice. (Pause) I will make a prepared statement which will be available in printed form as you leave. After this I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have for a period of 15 minutes. (There was an expectant silence in the room).

You are all aware that the cabinet has just approved the acceptance of homosexual people into the armed services,and has also cleared them for active service.

(Pause: There was a quiet rustling in the room)

As an officer I am obliged to follow the Government of the day's directives, and as the recognition of homosexuals is now official policy, I will of course abide by this ruling. However, I personally do not agree with the policy, and feel strongly that a great mistake has been made.

By their very nature homosexuals are neither fit nor inclined to serve in active duty roles. In my command I will maintain the ‘Don’t ask, Don't tell' approach that has been so successful overseas, and recommend - no encourage, gay people to remain silent as to their sexual orientation. By this I . . . '

UPROAR!

Suddenly the whole room erupted with a tumult of noise; several people were standing and gesturing fiercely, whilst shouting out questions and insults at the same time.

'Disgraceful!''Dinosaur!''Disgusting!''Homophobe!''Appalling!''Bastard!''Reprehensible!" they cried. The anger was coursing and pulsing through the crowd; it seemed there was no limit to the fury unleashed. Through it all, the Colonel stood rigid, seemingly indifferent to the anger directed at him. His hands caressed the lectern; his eyes assumed a ‘thousand-yard stare' as he patiently waited for the uproar to die down. When it became obvious that the hostility was not decreasing, and in fact was escalating, a young lieutenant grabbed a travelling mic. and called loudly for order.

'QUIET PLEASE! QUIET! RETURN TO YOUR SEATS! RETURN TO YOUR SEATS! SIT DOWN, SIT DOWN PLEASE!'

It took some time for the noise level to abate, until the steely resolve of the Colonel cowed the crowd into relative silence. When at last the crowd became quiet, he continued.

'By this I mean that homosexuals must not practise their lifestyle openly. If they choose this way of life then, to remain in my command, they must be completely discreet. Any unwanted approach by a gay male or female against another member of my command will be treated harshly. Now you all know where I stand on this issue. As I mentioned at the start, a printed copy of my speech is available to anyone who wishes one. Now, as I said, I will answer questions for 15 minutes; now let's see . . . you young lady in the green dress, you have a question?'

'Amanda Foley, of ‘The Australian' newspaper. Are you aware that your treatment of Gay people is contrary to the wishes of the Government, and popular demand?'

'To clarify Amanda, I'm not acting contrary to the official line, I'm simply discouraging homosexual people from advertising their lifestyle, and to be discreet. I'm also entitled to protect the members of my command from any unwanted approaches by gay people. I believe this is well within my rights.'

'(Amanda Rebukes) NO, YOU'RE WRONG! (loud shouts of support from the onlookers)The intent of the Government's edict is for gay people in the armed forces to live openly, and without fear of reprisal. Your ‘don’t ask, don't tell' sets homosexuals back to where they must live secretly, and fearful of physical and emotional harm. Surely . . .'

'(interrupting) Sorry, we have to move on Amanda, but to just respond to your last remarks, homosexual people have chosen their lifestyle, and knowing the problems that this choice carries, they have to live with the consequences. Now . . . you sir, in the brown shirt; what's your question?'

Before the gentleman could respond a middle-aged lady in a striking red dress jumped to her feet and declared;

'WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO UNDERMINE OFFICIAL POLICY OF THE AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT? As I understand, you are just a salaried member of the Armed services and, as such, you must follow the dictates of your employer who, in this case, happens to be the duly elected Government of Australia. You're so out of line mister, I hope you're court-marshalled and fired from the Defence Force.'

'Umm, who are you lady; are you a journalist?'

'Yes; I'm from the ‘Canberra Times' but more importantly I'm a mother of a gay son who serves in the Australian Navy. I know first-hand the misery gay people endure at the hands of homophobes such as you. The ‘don’t ask, don't tell' policy is a coward's way out . . . I repeat cowards cop out!'

'(Voice rising) Madam, I refuse to respond to personal attacks except to say that your assertion that I'm a coward is both insulting and incorrect. You obviously have a hearing problem. At the start I declared that I will follow the Government's policy; I simply enhanced this by saying that I would discourage gay people in joining my command. That's all. As far as your son is concerned I hope he has a happy and successful career in the Navy.'

'COLONEL, COLONEL!' Another woman very stylishly dressed in a patterned blue dress, was standing demanding attention.

'(Sounding irritable) Yes madam, I'll take your enquiry but please make it short. There are others who want to raise questions. Who are you?'

'My name is Felicity Harrington; I'm not a journalist but a very concerned mother who has a gay son in your command. (The Colonel looked uncomfortable). Did I hear correctly . . . did you just say that homosexual people choose their lifestyle? Are you saying that someone like my son would wake up one morning and choose to be gay? Did I hear you correctly?'

'Yes, I said that because it's the truth. I believe homosexual persons deliberately (loud gasps) choose their way of living. Does that answer your question? Now please let's move on.'

At this point the staff lined up behind the Colonel were looking distinctly uncomfortable - no, more embarrassed than uncomfortable. Some of the younger members could not look up and establish eye contact with the audience. The young lieutenant who had tried to restore order was ashen.

'NO, (Ms Harrington angry) No, I won't move on; in answering my question you've just shown how bigoted and out-of-touch you are. That attitude existed in the dreadful 1950's, and is totally, and I repeat, totally rejected by intelligent people including the entire medical profession. (Shouts of support came from the audience). You sir, must be the only person in Australia to hold such a harmful and toxic viewpoint; you should be cashiered immediately.'

The whole audience began to clap loudly, and with increasing enthusiasm. When it wouldn't stop the same young lieutenant grabbed the mic. And pleaded,

'PLEASE, PLEASE STOP. PLEASE LET THE COLONEL BE HEARD.!'

Slowly the clapping moderated until the Colonel was able to respond.

'Madam (Angrily) I mentioned before that I won't respond to personal attacks. You're entitled to your opinion as much as I'm entitled to mine . . . (Felicity Harrington tried to interrupt) No, let me finish - I will not debate the issue with you; let's move on'

Pause; a menacing murmur came from the assembled audience.

'Now (continued the colonel) you sir in the brown shirt, you may ask your question.'

'Umm, Miles O'Donnell from the ‘Sydney Telegraph'. You seem to be saying that gay folks will be regarded as a separate class within your command. If this is true do you envisage that the Service's Anti-Fraternization rules will apply? Will gay people be considered to be off-limits to anyone seeking to establish a friendly relationship?'

The room became hushed as this was an important issue and one that needed clarification.

The Colonel leaned forward on the lectern and assumed a thoughtful pose. He cast his eyes downward before replying.

'First, let me address the question of Fraternization which you raised. This is an important rule within all the armed services and means that there can be no fraternization between ranks, particularly between Officers and Enlisted personnel. This rule is applied very strictly; there are good reasons for the rule which I will not discuss here. Suffice it to say that any type of intimate relationship between an enlisted person and an Officer can be subject to disciplinary action, sometimes harsh if the circumstances warrant. (a few hands shot up, but the Colonel ignored them)

With regard to Gay personnel they are free to make friends as such, as long as they abide by the Defence Force restrictions on fraternization as defined.

(More hands were waving energetically)

Please let me finish answering the gentleman's question. (continuing) If you're asking will gay people form a distinct group within my command, I must say emphatically that they will not. As far as I'm concerned homosexuals do not exist as a recognized group; they should quietly go about their daily duties as Army personnel full stop. Have I answered you satisfactorily?'

(Miles O'Donnell)'Yes, thank you Colonel.'

Now the Colonel turned to the people demanding attention, but before he could take another question, the young lieutenant intervened,

'Sorry folks but we've run out of time. Perhaps if you have further questions please submit them in writing, and we'll do our best to respond. Now, thank you for attending this conference. Copies of the Colonels speech are obtainable at the back on your way out. Incidentally, tea and coffee facilities are available at the back of the room. Once again - thank you.'

But if the Colonel and staff thought that this was the end of the matter they were in for a big disappointment.

 

Copyright © 2018 gsealbe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Wow 2
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well you certainly know how to stir the pot! I am neither Australian nor military, but this topic is universal in my opinion. I look forward to reading more. I am curious to meet the main characters. I assume our dear Colonel will be the antagonist. Thanks for a great introduction!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

Well you certainly know how to stir the pot! I am neither Australian nor military, but this topic is universal in my opinion. I look forward to reading more. I am curious to meet the main characters. I assume our dear Colonel will be the antagonist. Thanks for a great introduction!

For some reason I feel the "esteemed" Colonel has a boyfriend.  It is often the ones that loudly denounce a certain population who tend to practice against what they preach.

Link to comment
59 minutes ago, FanLit said:

For some reason I feel the "esteemed" Colonel has a boyfriend.  It is often the ones that loudly denounce a certain population who tend to practice against what they preach.

Ooooo! I never even thought of that possibility. It would make things even more interesting!

Link to comment
20 hours ago, FanLit said:

For some reason I feel the "esteemed" Colonel has a boyfriend.  It is often the ones that loudly denounce a certain population who tend to practice against what they preach.

Actually this is something I would never ever have guessed. He seems too sure of himself to be in self-denial?

Link to comment
On 09/04/2018 at 6:14 AM, JeffreyL said:

Well you certainly know how to stir the pot! I am neither Australian nor military, but this topic is universal in my opinion. I look forward to reading more. I am curious to meet the main characters. I assume our dear Colonel will be the antagonist. Thanks for a great introduction!

Thnx for reading. I love getting feedback

Link to comment
1 hour ago, mayday said:

Actually this is something I would never ever have guessed. He seems too sure of himself to be in self-denial? 

That's an interesting comment. I'll think about that. Thanks for the feedback

Link to comment
22 hours ago, FanLit said:

For some reason I feel the "esteemed" Colonel has a boyfriend.  It is often the ones that loudly denounce a certain population who tend to practice against what they preach.

Interesting idea. Thnx for the feedback

Link to comment
On 09/04/2018 at 6:14 AM, JeffreyL said:

Well you certainly know how to stir the pot! I am neither Australian nor military, but this topic is universal in my opinion. I look forward to reading more. I am curious to meet the main characters. I assume our dear Colonel will be the antagonist. Thanks for a great introduction!

Hmmmm. Thnx for reading and giving me feedback

Link to comment
23 hours ago, FanLit said:

😳😶

A very gripping introduction.

Thnx for your comment. I love getting feedback. I also like to hear suggestions that may enhance the story.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, mayday said:

Actually this is something I would never ever have guessed. He seems too sure of himself to be in self-denial?

Not self denial, I would think more self hatred; It would explain his confrontational, deliberately antagonistic attitude.

He did not need to have that press conference to say that while gay people in the military was now legal that HE advised they keep their orientation to themselves under his watch.   It's like he has to show how anti gay he is when it really shouldn't matter.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..