Jump to content
    Grunge_Ken
  • Author
  • 6,341 Words
  • 1,086 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life behind Hazel Eyes - 4. Marvin's Point of View; The Start of a War

Relationships end and new ones form.

Watching Mikhail and David leave the club made me nervous. What if David decided to bash Mikhail? What if I had sent Mikhail to his death? I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if anything happened to him. I told myself to relax but I was never good at talking myself into doing this, so I took a shot and my thoughts seemed to clear up a little. Miranda had become a regular at the karaoke stage; she even got me to join her. It was a good night of ridiculous behaviour; Mike tried to make out with Miranda but ended up failing.

I had decided to leave Parma at 01:00, because Lisa kept calling me to go back home. We all decided to leave at the same time. Miranda and Mike got a ride from Sipho, seeing as they were both too drunk to drive, and Sipho was the only other sober person. On my way home I was trying to decide on how to dump Lisa. I kept coming up with ideas that I knew would end in me chickening out. By the time I got to my place, I had drawn up twenty different break-up strategies. The funniest idea was that I wake her up and tell her someone was at the door for her. When she got to the door I’d push her out, and lock the door it, and walk back to my room and to doze off. My favourite idea was that I send her a bouquet of flowers with a card that said ‘it’s over’. My second favourite was that I tell her that I got transferred to work in China and I couldn’t see her anymore. But I figured all my ideas were too cowardly, I guess I’ll do it the old fashioned way.

I dreaded walking into my own house, but realised I had no other option. After making sure that I had parked and locked my car I walked to my quaint unperturbed house. I unlocked the door and went in; I stumbled in the dark knocking over nothing, due to how dark the room was. I didn’t want to switch on any lights because I’d have to walk back to where I had started to switch them off. I finally made my way to my room; I didn’t want to wake Lisa, so I undressed in the dark. I slid next to her and wrapped my arm around her waist, after a minute or so of trying to doze off I felt her remove my hand. A fight was coming.

I woke up early in the morning, at around 07:00, even though my day started late that Monday. I had to get ready for a meeting I had with a client at 13:00. I really hated mornings, but I wasn’t sure whether or not I had everything I needed for my meeting. I got up from my bed and realised Lisa was gone. Shrugging it off I grabbed my phone and dialled the number I was given the night before, while walking to the kitchen to make coffee. That’s when I heard the running shower and knew that Lisa was still in the house and running late for work.

“Good morning, princess,” I said with a giggle into the phone.

“Morning, Marv. I knew I shouldn’t have told you about the whole princess thing.” Mikhail had replied in low and sleepy voice, but I could still tell he was smiling.

I laughed before replying to him. “Wanted to make sure that you are alive, you know, considering who took you home last night.” At this point I was standing in front of my coffee machine brewing a fresh pot.

“Oh goodness, that was the biggest shock of my life. I would’ve never thought. But he was friendly. We only spoke when I gave him directions to where I lived. Other than that, he only spoke when I changed a song. You guys should’ve warned me he has shitty taste in music.” He sounded more awake at this point; I could tell he was still shocked over David taking him home.

“Good thing you are still alive, wouldn’t want your sweet voice being taken from this world before I get a solo performance.” I was comfortable making stupid jokes with Mikhail after last night. He showed himself to be totally crazy and an all-round cool guy, he wasn’t as dramatic and over-the-top as I thought he would be. I’d gotten so comfortable with him that I forgot he was gay at some point.

“Be careful now, that might go to my head, but thanks for the compliment. Listen I need to get up, someone is knocking at my door. Thanks for the call; I’ll call you back later. I want details about the rest of the night.” The chuckles he let out as he said the last part suggested that he thought something scandalous had happened.

“I’ll be waiting for your call then. Actually I think lunch later on today will make more sense.” I said as I took my favourite cup out of the cupboard above my head.

“Lunch? Okay, we’ll discuss that when I call you.” Mikhail sounded a bit unsure about the lunch arrangement.

“You have no choice in the matter; we’ll meet up for lunch. Bye Princess.” I turned around to get milk from the refrigerator. To my shock, Lisa was staring at me with her arms folded and her weight leaning against the wall at the entrance of the door.

“You must really be worried about your little princess getting hurt.” She said in an acidic tone.

“It’s not what you think.” I said in a calm manner, walking up to grab her arm.

“Tell me what it is then! Because from where I’m standing, it looks like you calling one of your sluts while I’m still in your house getting ready for work.” Her tone had changed drastically, she was getting annoyed, and fast.

“I was calling Mikhail, checking up on him after David took him home last night, after karaoke at Parma.” I only realised that what I had just said sounded like a lie after I said it. David taking a feminine gay man home after karaoke? Really? Like anyone would believe that. Fuck!

“You went out with my gay friend? The one you thought I was sleeping with? And your homophobic friend took him home? Marvin, no! Just be a man about it and tell me the truth.” I knew she wasn’t going to believe me, even though I’d been telling the truth. I was about to object, but I realised that this was my way out; however, I don’t want any woman thinking I’m a cheater. I for one hated cheaters and I’d probably hate myself if I ever cheated.

“Here, call him back and you talk to him. See if I’m lying.” I knew she’d realise how stupid she was when she heard Mikhail on the other end of the phone. So I handed her my cell and watched her go to my call history and redial the last dialled number.

“Hello,” she said, and then dropped the phone instantly. She looked even more furious; she shoved the phone against my torso and stormed out of the room without a word. After putting my phone down on the kitchen counter, I made my way to my room with both a confused face and a cup of coffee. I stood by the door and watched as Lisa packed her clothing in a bag.

“What are you doing, Lisa?” I asked still calm and puzzled.

“I’m packing! Honestly, you aren’t blind Marvin. An asshole, yes you are. But blind, no!” she said stuffing her bag hurriedly, almost throwing her clothing into her case.

“Lisa, I need you to make sense to me. How am I an asshole? What happened to cause you to want to pack?” I couldn’t understand why she was moving out. What did Mikhail say to her? “Lisa! Talk, damn it!” I was getting annoyed at the fact that she hadn’t answered me but instead resorted to staying quiet and focusing on what she was doing. She never even looked up to acknowledge me.

“It’s over Marvin! You don’t have to worry about not having your crazy nights out anymore. I’m done with this… I thought you were different, but hey!” She closed her bag furiously before looking at me, and I could see the anger that was behind her voice.

“What are you…?” I started to speak, but only ended up having Lisa push past me with her duffle bag filled with her clothes. She didn’t say one word; instead she unlocked the front door and dropped her keys on the table. I watched her from the open door of my bedroom. In my mind I ran after her in an attempt to try catch up with her. In reality I walked over to the front door and closed it. I walked went back to the kitchen to start making myself breakfast, but what had happened was bothering me, and so I tried calling her, but her phone went unanswered. So, I called Mikhail to try figure out what happened, but nothing. He too wasn’t answering.

I went to my study and started to go over my work with a bowl of cereal and another cup of coffee. I was going over my client’s plans for his new house when I realised something. I was single! I finally got what I wanted; Lisa was off my back. It was a great way to start the week. I started smiling to myself. I got up to go shower; it was already 08:00, and if I wanted to make it on time to my meeting, I had to get ready very quickly. Knowing myself, I’ll find a distraction that would cause me to be late. My shower was the best shower I’d taken in ages, it was the freedom shower. I was washing myself clean of Lisa and her memories.

After my shower I got dressed in a not too formal ensemble; a dressy white formal shirt, a black leather jacket, black skinny chinos and rounded off by a pair of black and white Nike Rosh runs. It was an outfit that best suited the occasion, seeing as my meeting was in a very informal setting and after my last encounter with my client I got gave me the impression he was very care-free. I finished playing dress-up then went over to my study and started packing up all documentation into my portfolio. I shoved everything I needed in my car, as I was getting carried away with my plans; I remembered I had forgotten to inform the boys that Lisa was gone. I took my phone to send a mass text to David, Mike, and Sipho. It was just after 09:00 when I decided to leave the house.

I was driving to the coffee shop that my client, Virgil, had decided on. It was on the other side of town, and seeing as rush hour traffic wasn’t fully cleared, it took me two hours to get to where I was going. Good thing I was extremely early. On my way I had already decided that once I was settled in at The Coffee Bar, I’d use their Wi-Fi and get started on planning most of my schedule for the week and do some work for future clients. I arrived at The Coffee Bar at 11:15, and found a table in the corner so I could see people who walked in, and be somewhat visible to them. I ordered a cup of coffee and started to do my work. It had to be a good thirty or so minutes since I’d started working before my phone rang.

“Talk to me,” I said feeling overconfident.

“Would you like it dirty or clean? Because I can do dirty if you want,” Mikhail replied with restrained laughter.

“I’d prefer it to be as sanitary as possible. What’s happening?” I said in a joking tone, after I managed to pull my eyes off my work.

“I said I’d call you back after this morning. I felt even more pressured when you called me again and hung up, on some strange stalker vibe.” Mikhail’s voice was relaxed and still had its seductive undertone.

“About that, that wasn’t me. It was Lisa.” I went in to detail explaining what happened from my side, but I was hoping he’d explain more. Seeing as he and Lisa were friends, maybe she'd called to tell him details of what a jerk I am. You know, guy bashing me and shit. Unfortunately Mikhail knew as much as I did, maybe less.

“She and I aren’t the closest; we hang out every other day when she needs a talk. Or when she wants someone to hang with that isn’t too preoccupied. She’ll probably call for a meet up later, that’s if her real friends aren’t busy.” I picked up a thoughtful tone in his voice; maybe he knew more than he led on.

“It’s all good, I’m kind of happy about it. But you sound like you know something I don’t.” I tried to down play my seriousness, as I tried to find out more.

“I’ll tell you over lunch. I cannot be talking about this over the phone, especially not while I’m with people.” Mikhail spoke alluringly, as if to confuse whoever he was with.

“Oh yeah, we said we’ll do that today,” I said chuckling at how I’d forgotten about our man date.

“Correction, you said we’ll do that today,” he said. “I called to find out what time you are free, and where to meet you.”

“I have a meeting at one, so let’s make lunch at around two o’clock at The Coffee Bar. They serve great food and it’s the only way I won’t be late.” I was smiling ridiculously when I spoke. Maybe because I had never really been to lunch with a gay man before, or another man alone, but the idea made me smirk thoughtlessly. Fortunately today’s meeting was just a show and tell of what I have done and what the client wants to be added. It would take an hour, that’s if Virgil feels chatty.

“That seems a bit selfish of you, but it’ll be great. See you then.” Mikhail’s tone was still playful. I doubted that he could ever be serious. We said our goodbyes and I went back to my work.

I was starting to lose track of time. The only link I had between myself and reality was my waitress, who kept asking me if I needed anything. I was shocked when I saw that it was 12:45, I started pushing away all my other work and took out the work I had done for Virgil. Five minutes after I had done that, Virgil walked in. I waved to him from across from the room, primarily so that he could see me. He noticed my frantic waving then walked over to join me.

“I see you are early,” he said in a deep baritone voice while extending his hand for a handshake. “There’s nothing I love more than people being punctual, it says a lot about their character.” There was a small smile on his face that was friendly.

“Being late is too much admin, you’ll first have to apologise then try speed things up and before you know it you stumbling over words and you look like a fool. It’s all unnecessary, so I just avoid it all.” The handshake I gave Virgil was as firm and casual as the words I had just said. He smiled and nodded in agreement, and as I had presumed, Virgil was a very casual and carefree guy. We spent roughly fifteen minutes talking about life in general before we got down to business.

The meeting went well and I could be presumptuous and say that I think I may have landed him as a permanent client. But that would be very clear within the next two weeks. The meeting consisted of figures, tons of questions, explanations, and of course I had to show him the model of the house. The meeting consisted of everything but the food that I so badly needed. So, once Virgil and I said our goodbyes, I waved our waitress over and placed an order for an appetizer. I called Mikhail to ask him what he wanted but got told to hold on, that he was around the corner.

I saw him walk in, but he clearly didn’t need me to wave to him: he seemed to have known where I was seated. He walked over to my table, with haste but with a big smile.

“You really know how to rush a bitch,” he said while giving me a hug. I was reluctant at first, but I thought it would be rude if I didn’t reciprocate.

I smiled shyly as I responded, “I’m sorry, but I thought I’d put our food order in so that preparations go faster. Last thing I ate was cereal.”

“I understand, but I don’t know what I would’ve ordered, I've never come here. Besides I’m indecisive.” He took the menu that Virgil had let lay in front of him all throughout our meeting.

“So, how was your morning?” I asked casually.

“Well, it was great. I jogged and went to have breakfast with Miranda, who is hung-over as hell, thanks to you guys. I thought you’d be too, but clearly you are not.” He put down his menu and looked up at me, giving me a devilish smile.

“I take it you are ready to order?” I laughed, trying to change the topic. But the look he gave me made it clear it wasn’t safe to change topics. “Ok, there’s nothing to tell. All we did was drink and act the fool. Well, Mike and Miranda did that, Sipho and I were sober. I don’t drink the day before meetings. Well, not much.” I gave him a wink as I said the last part.

“You don’t look like you were in any kind of meeting,” he said eyeing me up and down. “What kind of meeting do you go to in Nike Rosh runs?”

“It’s a client that wants the company I work for to design a condo for him and his family. He’s a chilled guy; I could almost say he insisted on the casual look.” I was going to go on, but our waitress arrived with my plate of French-fries, and Mikhail placed his order and while I ordered a sandwich. Mikhail looked at me as I started in on my fries.

“You must really be hungry,” he said sympathetically. I nodded and muffled a yes, that’s when he laughed at me.

“Hey, don’t judge me. You can have some as well, if you want.” I managed to say between chews.

“Once you're done chewing, tell me so we can talk.”

I was certainly beginning to believe that Mikhail was unable to go a minute without being light-hearted. I guess his happy-go-lucky attitude was what made it so comfortable to be around him.

“If anyone should be questioned, it should be you. You are the one who was in a car alone with David.” I knew nothing could’ve happened but I wanted to divert the attention from me.

Mikhail let out a laugh before responding to me. “Oh my, where do I start? I think it all started when we got up off our chairs and walked out the door. He was hostile and I was scared, he shut his mouth, played music, I made the mistake of changing it and voila, I’m not dead. I think that’s about right.” We both laughed at his little snide re-telling of last night’s events.

Mikhail and I talked some more about random things before our food arrived and we started eating, with random commentary in between chews.

“Since you are single now, I think we should celebrate.” Mikhail’s sentence brought me back to what I wanted to ask him.

“Yeah, that can happen this weekend, but first tell me what I don’t know,” I said taking the last bite of my sandwich.

“First, do you know that I’m extremely fascinated by tattoos? I feel like it’s an entire culture on its own.” I saw his lips curl at the sides as he spoke; he was up to his tricks of not being sombre.

“I mean about Lisa, and the phone call that led to me being dumped,” I said trying to pull off a straight face.

“Well, I think you shouldn’t have let her call me, I kind of had a thing with her ex. Well he had a thing for me, we made out once or twice, or three times, I never kept count. But she walked in on us as we were about to have sex.” All the while he was facing down, looking at his food, and speaking nonchalantly.

“You slept with your Lisa’s boyfriend?” I was shocked, because this behaviour didn’t seem to be of his world.

“No! No, I wasn’t her friend then. No, I never slept with him. I never knew who she was until that day. Anthony was just some random guy who knew how to kiss and he always seemed to be at a gay bar when I was, so it worked out. I knew he was after sex, but I never gave in. I thought he was gay, so when Lisa walked in and started acting like a stereotypical African-American ‘baby mamma’ on me, I didn’t understand. So, I walked out and when she chased after me to swear at me, I told her my side of the story and I apologised. I’d never be an accessory to cheating; I know what it’s like to be cheated on, so yeah. I told her that and from there on we became somewhat close. She dumped Anthony and we were friends, but I guess it was all a keep your friends close and enemies closer thing.”

It shocked me how Mikhail was all nonchalant about these things. It was as if he wasn’t telling me the story of him being caught with Lisa’s man.

“Shit man! I feel real bad right now, I’ll have to try call her and clear things up.” I was shocked that Lisa would think that about me.

The rest of our lunch ‘date’ went well, and I learnt that Mikhail was half Jamaican and half Xhosa, which is kind of cool. But besides his heritage, there was nothing I found out about Mikhail that was out of the ordinary. I enjoyed his company, which made my drive home feel more dreaded because for once I’d get home and be alone. I was a bit thrilled, yet felt quite bleak. I got out of the car and walked into my comforting house. I locked the door and went to my sofa and threw myself on it.

I remained stretched out on my there and my thoughts became opaque for a minute; it had been a somewhat weird day. Ever since this morning, things had seemed to be a whirlwind: I was single because my girlfriend thought I was dating her friend, because she first met him while he was making out with her boyfriend. It all seemed odd, something didn’t add up, but I had nothing to do with it.

Just then my phone rang, with a message from Mike, ever since I had told the guys about the incident they were relieved and wanted to celebrate, but I turned them down, telling them I had work. Instead of replying to Mike’s invitation to drink I walked to my bedroom, got undressed, and started to prepare dinner for myself and lounge half naked in my own place. That’s when it hit me, again; I was free. No more nagging girlfriend to whine about anything. I hurried to my liquor cabinet and poured myself a few shots of Jameson to celebrate my new life. Goodbye dear Lisa. My celebration got cut short by a burning pot. I ran to the kitchen and saved my vegetables from scorching.

*****

Later in the week, I tried to call Lisa to clear the whole 'me and Mikhail' thing. But clearly she had no interest in talking to me. The remainder of the week went on as usual, except for a call from David. Apparently his car broke down, so we spent the rest of the week carpooling together while his car went in for repairs. Mike and Sipho were too overwhelmed by work to actually come over for a beer after hours. As a matter of fact, after work was work for them.

Sipho was twenty-six, and the marketing manager for one of the biggest beer manufacturer in South Africa. Mike was twenty-eight, and an engineer for the Gauteng Municipality. David was twenty-five, his birthday was later on in the year, and he earned money by being an accountant. I was just the twenty-seven-year-old architect of the group. Sipho and David had been friends since they were in university together; I met David through a few friends of mine when I was looking for good accounting firms, for my mother. David and I got to chilling, then he introduced me to Sipho and all three of us got along without hassles. Mike came into the group when Sipho found him hanging alone at a rugby match in a bar and called him to join us, after that we all became a wolf pack. It’s been three years since all four of us had been friends. We had each other’s backs and knew everything about each other.

It was nearing the weekend and we had made no plans to meet up when randomly, on Thursday, Miranda and Mikhail decided to invite us out that very night to a new bar that was just starting. Apparently Miranda knew the owner, so she got us VIP passes to the grand opening, and they needed four more people. I found it weird how the two of them didn’t have many friends. Miranda and Mikhail, as I learnt from my conversations with Mikhail, which were plenty thanks to our constant texting, have stuck together since they were 7, and have never stopped being best friends. They had other friends, but they didn’t trust them much, thus that's why they invited us. I for one looked forward to the party, I was ready to take some random girl home with me that night and have my way with her. I was excited by my newfound freedom and I was going to explore it to the best of my ability.

Thursday came and we were dressed to impress, every one of my friends was amazing and we all looked forward to taking home a girl that night; If not two, depending on our luck. Our only spoilsport was Sipho as he was in a ‘committed’ relationship; it kept being ‘committed’ every time we went out clubbing. We drove up to the new club and found Mikhail and Miranda waiting out front for us, we walked in to our section after the cordial hugs and hellos. Naturally David was the only one to give Mikhail a cold handshake and hello. Once in our spot we sent a waiter to get us our drinks and Mikhail got taunted about having to only consume energy beverages all night.

“If you guys tease me one more time, I’ll murder all of you in your sleep with teaspoons, you hear me?” Mikhail warned pointing at us with a harsh face that dissolved as his lips curled at the edges. Everyone laughed as he started to smile.

“Too gay to keep a straight face,” I let out in between laughs. I lightly slapped Mikhail’s shoulder and asked him to show me to the bathroom, I asked him because he’d gone already. So, he ended up walking me to the toilet because his directions were extremely bad. I went into the restroom and he waited outside. As we were walking out of the corridor that led from the bathrooms, we ran into Lisa. Mikhail went over to greet her with nothing less than friendliness and all he got was a strange look and a ‘talk to the hand’ gesture. He just stood there all shocked before we moved on. Both of us were puzzled, and but we carried on. We told the salacious story to the rest of the gang once we got to the table. Miranda seemed overtly pissed off by it; she wanted to go slap Lisa. I didn’t understand what would cause her to be that angry; even Mikhail told her to forget it. She finally calmed down once Mikhail whispered something in her ear – after they exchanged looks – she took a shot, and then carried on as if nothing happened. As the night went on, we carried on having fun. I managed to get the number of some really sexy girl but I think she was intimidated by Miranda, because when I tried to talk to her again, she looked at Miranda and walked off. Trying to hit on a girl while with Miranda in the club was a clearly not going to work, for some absurd reason she must’ve intimidated them.

The music in the club was too epic; I could tell that this new place was going to our go-to place, with or without the best friend twosome – preferably without. I want to be able to pick up a chick once in a while, and judging by how girls thought I was with dating Miranda, she wasn’t going to get me laid. The party was beginning to become a great ton of fun. The DJ that had just started his set was off to a great start. We rarely got up to dance but the head bobs and fist pumps were there.

Mikhail was the first to leave, as usual, this time his driver was off duty. I volunteered to walk him out to get him a cab. Seeing as Miranda wanted to stay longer, she almost killed me for claiming her best friend, but I reassured her that I wouldn’t keep him all to myself. I waited for Mikhail to finish saying goodbye to everyone, but this time when he and David said parted, I could’ve sworn I saw David give him a wink. I thought I was imagining it until David said bye to Mikhail in a friendly way. Maybe it was the liquor, maybe I was so drunk I was hearing and seeing things. Once outside, Mikhail and I were joking and pushing each other around, when Lisa came out of the club with her entourage.

“Look guys, the happy couple escaping the masses to share their love, in the darkness of the night,” she said addressing her friends.

Mikhail and I exchanged confused glances.

“What’s your problem?” Mikhail asked in a bewildered tone.

“Besides, the fact that your whore ass took my boyfriend from me? Geez, then I don’t know. Princess. I introduce you to my man, next thing, you in his pants and calling each other pet names - after secret dates!”

Wait. Did she think that Mikhail and I were a couple? NO!

One of Lisa’s friends chimed in, “Some friend he is too, and you don’t need sluts in your life Lisa. I guess it’s something in their little circle.”

And right then I saw anger takeover Mikhail’s face, an expression I never thought I’d see on him. It was an expression that made all the jokes and friendliness seem like it took place twelve years ago.

“Look, I don’t know what cheap bottom of the barrel drugs you are on, but I didn’t take your damn man. You walked out on him! Don’t blame anyone on your failure to keep a man guy. My bad, I forgot that keeping a man isn’t the problem, knowing which one of your men to keep is the problem. Shut your legs and open your eyes and brain, so you can realise what you have. Marv is a great guy and you lost him because you were too busy trying to secure rich men to pay for your cheap Brazilian knock-off weaves. Matter of fact, all of you are out here be acting like 'yes,' when your asses look like something even Chewbacca wouldn’t want to mate with. You all just need to re-evaluate your lives and the shitty mess they are currently in before you even think of talking shit to me. And you, honey booboo lookalike, don’t try me girl! I am not your equal. Say shit about my clique one more time and I swear you’ll lose all that extra weight you carrying with one backhand.”

I stood there in awe of my first ever bitch fight; Mikhail had just gone off on them with little remorse, and his tone was indifferent and icy. Lisa and her friends stood there receiving the verbal attack Mikhail had to offer, and once he was done, he dragged me off while I looked at him speechless.

“Bye Marvin.” His voice brought me back to reality, and that’s when I realised that the cab had arrived and Mikhail was stepping into it. I said goodbye and I went back in to the club to find Lisa and her friends snarling at me. I walked over to our table and told everyone what happened. Everyone except Miranda seemed shocked; instead she looked as pissed as Mikhail had been.

“This isn’t new to me; one of those bitches has a serious problem with me. A bitch who always finds her two cents' worth to say that will rub him up the wrong way, and he’ll offload. The girl with the real beef says nothing, but plays the others like puppets in order to get what she wants to say, said. It’s petty, but yeah, it’s hard out here for a bitch. Mikhail has to constantly fight my battles, because it’s easier for them to find people that hate him.” Miranda kept taking sips in between every second to third word.

“Well let’s party hard! I won’t allow those broke-ass bitches ruin my night.” She raised her glass and started to empty out the substance within it.

We all carried on after that, as if nothing happened, irregardless of the occasional dagger stares from Lisa. We ended the night on a great note, as most everyone was sober enough to drive, but Miranda didn’t want to risk her life so I took her home. During the ride, we got to talking. The things I found out about Miranda were: she has a Bachelor of Economics and works, she wouldn’t tell me where; she and Mikhail are very secretive, especially when it comes to why they don’t have other friends; she too is from money, she hates sports, and she is flipping sexy. I’m not sure whether it was her height, the way she spoke, or just the way she looked, but she really turned me on.

I pulled up in front of her apartment complex and we stayed in the car talking about seeing each other again, after a while I decided that I’d try to get a quick kiss. As I leaned in for a caress, she leaned in as well. I closed my eyes, and as we were just centimetres apart, she reached over and honked the car horn. The hooter startled me and I realised her face was rigid and flat as she stared at me. I tried to decipher it.

“What’s with the straight face?” I asked gently pushing her hair back.

“Well, I’m showing you the only straight part about me.” She had said with a wink and opened the door to get out. She left me with the bomb; I sat there for a few minutes trying to wrap my head around it. The hottest girl that I knew was lesbian! Shit! I’m totally screwed, how am I going to resist the urge to make out with her? I cannot hang out with her anymore.

I started to drive back to my house. On the road I began to calculate what exactly was happening. I had left my place to the club with every intention of getting laid; I returned home without a random girl that I’d have my way with. My first single night out and I failed. The drive home seemed shorter than ever, I got out the car and made my way into the house. I didn’t even have the patience or the time to stop for a glass of water, all I wanted was my bed. In bed I thought about my week.

Week one of knowing Mikhail and Miranda, I get dumped because my girlfriend thinks I am dating a man. David takes a feminine gay guy home. I go to a club and I cannot pick up a girl because the girls are intimidated by Miranda. David winks and says goodbye to a dude in a friendly manner. I try to make a move on Miranda and it turns out she’s lesbian. Wow, okay. This has really been a long week, so far. I hope this isn’t how my friendship with those two will continue.

I stayed in bed and thought about the whole night out. The more I thought about it, the more I realised that I wasn’t imagining David winking at Mikhail. I picked up my phone, and saw the time, and went to type a text. I finally decided what I wanted to say, “Buddy, you have a wink and smile to explain to me.” I sent it to David, then switched my phone off and went to sleep.

Thank you guys for reading my ish, it makes me happy to know people are reading my story. Thank you AC Benus for all your hard work. Keep the reviews coming, maybe I'll include your review(s) in a future chapter.
Copyright © 2015 Grunge_Ken; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

In my mind, Marv continues to be an interesting person. He admits to himself, to a degree, that Mikhail fascinates him. This fascination seems have been there from the first moment he opened his front door and saw him.

That interest stands in pretty stark contrast to his, at best, wishy-washy feeling towards Lisa. He seems to care about what she thinks, and not what she feels. But i may be wrong.

I have a question about club life in South Africa. Is it the custom for people to buy all of their drinks at the beginning of the night..? In the karaoke chapter, one person ordered an entire bottle of whiskey and a 2 liter bottle of ginger ale! LOL, i hope that was supposed to last her all night, but i may be wrong.

BTW, loved the fight scene. You had me laughing so hard, i need to take a break. That Mikhail has one wicked tongue in his head, and it was cool to see how overwhelmed and impressed Marv was at that display too.

Good job - you are continuing to build intrigue!

Link to comment

I was happy to see more of Marvin, and particularly to witness him getting rid of Lisa. The fact that it happened because she thought he was having an affair with Mikhail was utterly funny. Oh and I laughed when he said that the four friends knew all about each other. We know that's not true, lol. Mikhail doing some verbal bitch slapping was another high point. All in all a nice long satisfying chapter.

Link to comment
On 10/09/2014 08:17 AM, AC Benus said:
In my mind, Marv continues to be an interesting person. He admits to himself, to a degree, that Mikhail fascinates him. This fascination seems have been there from the first moment he opened his front door and saw him.

That interest stands in pretty stark contrast to his, at best, wishy-washy feeling towards Lisa. He seems to care about what she thinks, and not what she feels. But i may be wrong.

I have a question about club life in South Africa. Is it the custom for people to buy all of their drinks at the beginning of the night..? In the karaoke chapter, one person ordered an entire bottle of whiskey and a 2 liter bottle of ginger ale! LOL, i hope that was supposed to last her all night, but i may be wrong.

BTW, loved the fight scene. You had me laughing so hard, i need to take a break. That Mikhail has one wicked tongue in his head, and it was cool to see how overwhelmed and impressed Marv was at that display too.

Good job - you are continuing to build intrigue!

Thank you very much for your review. I was scared that the fight scene might be too much but I love the fact that it is being well recieved. Mikhail is a cheeky bugger with a wicked tongue I'm sure his bound to fight someone else sooner or later.

Marv is such a shocker and you'll keep finding this out in future chapters. He did care for what Lisa felt in the start of their relationship but near the end he lost his feelings and the phucks he had about her.

Usually in S.A club scenes poeple want to avoid the bar as much as possible. If you can afford to buy your night supply at the beginning of the night then you do that and enjoy your night. But then this is all based on my personal experiences.

Link to comment
On 10/09/2014 09:23 AM, Timothy M. said:
I was happy to see more of Marvin, and particularly to witness him getting rid of Lisa. The fact that it happened because she thought he was having an affair with Mikhail was utterly funny. Oh and I laughed when he said that the four friends knew all about each other. We know that's not true, lol. Mikhail doing some verbal bitch slapping was another high point. All in all a nice long satisfying chapter.
Hahahaha I actually thought of you when I added Marvin's point of view, as the fourth chapter. It initially was supposed to go somewhere else but I moved it here to add dimension. With that being said, I'm very glad you liked the chapter :). I'll bring you more Marvin chapters maybe, even, back-to-back Marvin chapters ;)
Link to comment
On 10/11/2014 03:25 AM, Cole Matthews said:
AC gave me heads up about this story. Its wicked fun and im enjoying it immensely. Great job and keep it up!
Thank you very much Cole, I'll make sure to keep the story as exciting as possible. I trust you'll tell me when I'm getting stale or out of line, right?
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..