Jump to content

Lifting the Veil

   (4 reviews)

This is a story about the precarious balance between life and death, and love and hate. Chester is perched on a knife edge, looking back instead of forward because he has secrets... shameful ones, and he has never felt so alone. Is peace ever going to be his?

Warning: Mention of physical abuse and suicide. 
Copyright © 2018 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (7 members)

  • Action Packed 1
  • Addictive/Pacing 5
  • Characters 7
  • Chills 3
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 3
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 7
  • Unique 7
  • World Building 0

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Mancunian

· Edited by Mancunian

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

This is a stand out story that should be read by everyone. It has many dark points but ends up with a bright ray of hope. It leaves you wishing Chester well for his future and sad for his recent past. It also opens your eyes to a life that many keep hidden from the rest of the world. This is my second time of reading this great story, the first read opened my eyes, the second opened them even wider.

This is a really good story that is very well written, I take my hat off to Gary's skills. :worship:

Response from the author:

Thank you so much, Mancunian, for your hearty recommendation of "Lifting the Veil". The reviews have just doubled with two more today, and I truly hope they stir more interest in this one. It was a difficult story to tell, but I am in agreement that readers will find something that makes them think, but uplifts them too. We all have to have hope.

Again, you words are very kind and encouraging, and I thank you. These new reviews have made my day. Cheers! G.  

  • Love 2
Link to review
raven1

· Edited by raven1

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

A dark, tragic tale begins as Chester walks away from the funeral of his abusive husband, a man he both loved and then hated.  Briefly the veil is lifted and when it closes again Chester has closure and can begin to heal.  It ends in hope as Chester finds he has the will to live and the support and love to make it happen.  This is an eloquent tale of a second chances by one of GA's finest writers.

Response from the author:

Thanks, Terry! These kind of stories need to be told. If one person reads this and sees himself or herself, then it has achieved a better purpose. It is a journey many can relate to, either for themselves or for a friend or family member, and I certainly understood the complexities of such a situation. Monsters are monsters, but they weren't ever meant to be, at least not in this case, and understanding that might stop the enabling. Yes, this story is deep and at times very dark, but the hope is there, and the road to recovery is only beginning. Thanks for reading and leaving such a great review. Cheers!

  • Love 2
Link to review
Timothy M.

   4 of 5 members found this review helpful 4 / 5 members

There are several reasons I find this story special in spite of the sad parts. The quiet courage and dignity of the main character. The understanding we gain on how his abuser acted the way he did. The way Gary holds out a ray of hope for us to cling to even in the darkest parts of the story. And finally, how a huge tree played a crucial (even magical) role in the story.

Spoiler

Maybe Chester will come back one summer and take the next step into the future under its canopy. :yes:

 

Response from the author:

Thanks, Tim, for the lovely review. This story does have darkness, but thank you for feeling and pointing out there is a ray of hope here. Tragedy is difficult to write about, but it is a part of life. One day, we might learn more of Chester's journey. :) 

  • Love 4
Link to review
Albert1434

   3 of 4 members found this review helpful 3 / 4 members

Wow what a great and dark story. So different for Gary still lots of Gary Magic :yes:

Response from the author:

Aww... thank you, Albert, for the review and the encouraging words. I'm so pleased you liked it. :hug: 

  • Love 3
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..