Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Clubhouse - 5. Give and Take

He rounded the corner onto Mayfair Road just as the streetlamps were coming on. The last remnants of daylight were fading away and the temperature was starting to drop. Tristan came to a stop outside an older gray home with pink shutters and a screened-in porch. He thought about the family that used to live there. Ansel and Hannah Bridges were the first set of twins he had ever known in real life. When they’d both shown up in his third-grade class, just before spring break, he knew he’d wanted to be their friends.

Over the next few years, Tristan and the twins became inseparable. They played together after school and on the weekends. They attended the same church. Their parents had even sent them to the same summer camp three years in a row.

Around middle school, Ansel got into sports – football and baseball – and it was only a matter of time before he got his own set of friends to hang with. There were no hard feelings and if Tristan were to be honest, he was a bit relieved. Over time he’d discovered he had a lot more in common with Hannah than he did with her brother.

He wondered where she was and how she was doing. The Bridges had moved away from Minor Springs just before the start of freshman year. Tristan was devastated by the news but Hannah had promised she’d keep in touch. She’d held true to her promise, for the most part, but a few years ago she got involved with someone, some guy with spiky black hair and a sleeve tattoo. There were pictures of the two of them on Facebook looking happy and in love. The daily phone calls and texts had dwindled, considerably, and now he only heard from her on his birthday, sometimes, and during the holidays, when she remembered.

Tristan tugged at the drawstrings on his lavender hoodie as he stared up at the house. A cold breeze blew past him, tickling the hairs on his legs. It was getting dark and he really needed to get home and finish the book he hadn’t got to read much of due to a certain handsome jock who’d somehow been saddled with detention as well.

Tristan started in the direction of his house which was a couple of streets over. His phone started to vibrate inside the pocket of the black Umbro shorts he’d taken from his brother’s old closet. He pulled the phone out and saw Everett Goolsby’s grinning mug flash across his screen.

“Dad said you were out for a run.”

Hearing his brother’s voice never ceased to amaze him. Since moving out to the west coast, his syrupy drawl had mostly faded away. However, we came home for the holidays, usually a day into his stay, it came back, stronger than ever.

“Isn’t it kinda late there?” he asked.

Tristan checked the time on his phone. It was nearly eight-thirty.

“I got started late,” he said. “I had to stay after school.”

“Ah,” Everett said. “Big paper due?”

Tristan paused at an intersection and looked both ways before continuing across the street. He moved as fast as he could without running. His limbs felt twice their wait. He suppressed a yawn before he turned down his street.

“I had detention today. Actually, I have detention tomorrow as well. And the day after.”

“You’ve gotta be shittin’ me,” Everett blurted. “You had detention?”

“Yeah. Apparently, it’s against the rules to leave during the middle of the day.”

“Well, shit. What did Dad say?”

“Not much. I told him I was sick, so he didn’t press the issue.”

“Were you sick?”

Tristan was sure he detected a hint to skepticism in his brother’s voice.

“Yeah,” he said. “Had I known I was going to end up with three days’ worth of detention, I wouldn’t have left.”

Liar, he thought to himself.

Tristan stood in front of his house. Unlike Hannah’s old house, the lights were on inside. He could make out his dad’s silhouette sitting in his favorite chair next to the fireplace. He was probably a game or a rerun of Law and Order.

“I’m home by the way,” he said.

“Good,” Everett said. “Not a fan of you running around the neighborhood at night. I’m too far away to fly in and save the day should I need to.”

Tristan rolled his eyes and groaned.

“I’m not helpless,” he said.

“You’re far from helpless. Doesn’t mean I don’t worry about you.”

Tristan started towards the front door. He dug around in the pocket of his hoodie for his house key.

“So, detention, huh,” Everett spoke. “What’s that like?”

“Aside from this guy refusing to shut up, it wasn’t so bad.”

“I thought you weren’t allowed to talk in detention. Or use your phone.”

Tristan found his key and he inserted it into the lock. He pushed open the front door and stepped inside.

“Dad I’m home,” he said. “Have you eaten yet?”

Jason Goolsby looked up from the flatscreen television and saw Tristan standing at the front door. He smiled and patted his belly.

“Had leftovers,” he said. “The potatoes are gone but there’s more meatloaf in the fridge.”

Tristan nodded and turned to walk into the kitchen. He flicked the light switch and the kitchen was bathed in a sickly glow. The sink was piled high with dishes. He walked over to the dishwasher and yanked open the door. There were more dishes inside.

“You still there?” his brother asked.

Tristan used a stopper to plug the drain before turning on the hot water. He squeezed a liberal amount of dish detergent into the water.

“Sorry,” he said. “You were saying?”

“I said I didn’t think they allowed you to talk in detention. Back when I had detention, they made us turn in our phones and we couldn’t even sit at the same table.”

“We didn’t have to turn in our phones,” Tristan said. “But we weren’t supposed to talk. We were supposed to work on homework which I was trying to do but this guy sat down at my table even though there were like two other tables he could’ve sat at.”

“Is that so,” Everett said. “And just who is this guy you’re referring to?”

“His name is Finn Montgomery and before you start, he’s straight and therefore off-limits.”

“I didn’t say anything”

“You didn’t have to. I can hear it in your voice.”

“Look, I was just curious,” Everett said. “I wasn’t implying you had a crush on this Finn guy or anything like that. I mean he’s straight.”

“And he has a girlfriend,” Tristan said. “And I’m pretty sure they’re destined to be married. She strikes me as someone who’s had their wedding planned since they were six.”

“Is that jealously I’m detecting?”

“I’m hanging up now.”

Tristan unzipped his hoodie and pulled it off. He draped it over the back of one of the chairs around the kitchen table.

“Maybe he wants to be friend,” Everett said.

“Doubtful. We live in two different worlds. Literally. He lives on the other side of town. The good side.”

“What exactly does that have to do with you being friends with this Finn guy?”

“Ev, trust me when I say, it’s not gonna happen. Besides, I’ll be graduating in less than a month. I won’t even see these people anymore.”

There was silence on the other end of the line. Tristan cradled his phone between his ear and shoulder, and he started on the stack of dishes in the sink.

“Tristan, you know I love you but sometimes you can be a bit … closed off. It’s not going to kill you to get to know this guy. I’m not saying you have to be bosom buddies but if he’s making the effort, maybe you should make some effort as well. Relationships, whether romantic or platonic, require a bit of give and take.”

Tristan frowned as he rinsed out a bowl and placed it on the drying rack. He thought about Finn and how excited he’d been earlier. They’d spent the remainder of detention making small talk with each other. It seemed genuine but how could he know for sure?

“Here’s the part where you say ‘Ev, you’re so right and I’m going to try to be nicer to Finn tomorrow’.”

“I refuse to acknowledge on a possibly recorded line that you’re right about anything,” Tristan said.

“That’s okay,” Everett said. “In a few days I expect to here that you and this Finn guy are best friends and you’re going to be the best man in his wedding.”

Tristan laughed. He was so thankful for Everett. Even though they were over a thousand miles apart, they never went more than a couple of days without calling or texting. Talking to Everett made him feel a lot less alone in the world. He loved his dad and their relationship was pretty solid but he could talk to his brother about everything.

“Shit,” Everett hissed. “I need to get ready.”

“Big date?”

“I told a friend of mine I’d fill in for him tonight. He has a standing gig at this club downtown.”

“Your life is lot more interesting than mine.”

Everett sighed. “Eh, I reckon it’s alright. Listen, I’m glad we got to talk. Keep me posted on this Finn guy, okay.”

Tristan groaned and wiped his hands on the front of his shorts.

“Fine – but I think you’re making a big deal out of this.”

“Maybe so,” he said. “But hey, best case scenario – you end up making a friend.”

Copyright © 2020 imperfect _pisces; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 10
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

WOW! Short chapters.  I read the first five in about a half an hour.  It's a lovely start to what can be a great story.  I have marked this story as one to follow, so I will be notified when you add more chapters.  I encourage you to keep writing!

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great chapter, we find out that Tristan is close to his brother Everett and speaks to him every few days. He told his brother about Finn.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 4/23/2020 at 11:13 AM, Doug Spencer said:

WOW! Short chapters.  I read the first five in about a half an hour.  It's a lovely start to what can be a great story.  I have marked this story as one to follow, so I will be notified when you add more chapters.  I encourage you to keep writing!

Doug - Thank you for your kind words. The chapters appear to be getting longer and longer as I'm delving deeper into the story. I thank you for the encouragement. It's been a long, long time since I've felt confident to write and submit my writing. Hope you continue to enjoy the story!

BRENN

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 4/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, chris191070 said:

Great chapter, we find out that Tristan is close to his brother Everett and speaks to him every few days. He told his brother about Finn.

Chris! What Tristan lacks in friends, he has with his older brother, Everett. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Nice dialogue between Tristan and his brother! It sounds like they have a special relationship! I am looking forward to more interactions between Tristan and Finn. Both are interesting characters and maybe not as different as they appear at first glance. Thanks

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Tristan might be a bit of a loner and having it rough these last week's in school, but his family life seems good. His brother gave him good advice. I hope he takes it.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Tristan might be a bit of a loner and having it rough these last week's in school, but his family life seems good. His brother gave him good advice. I hope he takes it.

Thank you for your comment. Tristan may start coming out of his shell, thanks to his brother. He really values his brother's advice.

BRENN

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

Nice dialogue between Tristan and his brother! It sounds like they have a special relationship! I am looking forward to more interactions between Tristan and Finn. Both are interesting characters and maybe not as different as they appear at first glance. Thanks

Thank you so much, JeffreyL for your kind words and taking time to read my story! I really appreciate it. I hope you continue to enjoy the story.

BRENN

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..