Jump to content
    intune
  • Author
  • 2,276 Words
  • 2,869 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Pitch Perfect - 6. Chapter 6: Can't Keep Me Away pt 2

     

Frozen, Lucca stared into his face. ‘I had no idea he was so hot up close. His hair is really curly; it looks soft. Wait, no, what was he talking about a second ago?’ Lucca shook away his thoughts; his mind finally registering that Jeremy still waited for an introduction.

“Lucca,” he said clasping their hands together. He gave a smile, but was positive it contained only a tenth of the warmth of the one he received.

“So, I’ll leave you boys to it then.” Betty went to other matters of business, leaving him to wonder what exactly he was supposed to show Jeremy.

“Well…”

“Get over here so we can finish our game,” Mr. Evans called out impatiently. Lucca was grateful for the interruption; he pulled up another chair to the table and motioned for Jeremy to come join.

“Scrabble, huh?” Jeremy looked excited about the prospect of playing. “My family loves word games, they’re pretty competitive too.”

“Oh, really?” Mr. Evans questioned with a gleam in his eye.

Lucca smirked. Mr. Evans wasn’t an average player; he knew that no matter how good Jeremy’s family was, he didn’t stand a chance against him. About an hour later his prediction was proved right; they both got annihilated. Despite losing, Lucca was still impressed with how Jeremy played. He scored better than most other people their age.

“You did well,” Lucca said seriously as they stood up from the table. Somehow, while playing, the tension between them had eased and he felt more comfortable starting a conversation.

He let out a laugh. “Yeah, right. I had no idea that game would be such a challenge. I’m the one who’s impressed here.”

They smiled at each other while they cleaned up the pieces. It was strange for Lucca, he was so used to only hanging out with Addie that it seemed odd to be talking with another person his age.

“Practice your scrabble!” Mr. Evans called after them as they left the room. “I’m not going easy on you next week.”

“You heard him,” Jeremy said nudging Lucca’s shoulder.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Lucca raised an eyebrow, playing hurt.

“Maybe,” Jeremy turned and looked at him through his thick dark lashes. “It means we should get together to play.”

“I’m not sure that will improve our chances any.”

“Practice makes perfect, no?”

“Yeah, I guess.” Lucca put his hands up in surrender. “We could get together for scrabble sometime, if you want to.”

Jeremy grinned and nodded as they came to the patient’s room. While visiting the next patient Lucca couldn’t focus his attention at all. ‘What’s that all about? One second we’re strangers and then plans are being made to play scrabble? Weird. Dad and Addie will be happy I’m hanging out with new people, at least.’

The next few rooms were all a blur of him chatting with residents and introducing them to him. All the people seemed happy to have someone new to converse with. Of course it couldn’t have hurt that Jeremy was funny, nice, and endlessly polite to each resident.

Five resident introductions done and Lucca decided it was time to give Jeremy a grand tour of the place. He showed him everything, where the nurse’s stations were for each floor, the recreation rooms, and all of the emergency supplies. When they were done Jeremy’s eyes were wide and his forehead creased, he looked overwhelmed.

“Hey, why don’t we hit the lounge for some lunch and a break?”

“Yes.” Jeremy let out a breath and visibly relaxed. “You’re reading my mind.”

The lounge was quiet and empty, with the exception of one nurse who sat reading on the opposite end of the room. Lucca pulled his lunch out of the mini refrigerator but noticed Jeremy made no move to retrieve food.

“You want to share my lunch?” Opening up his bag he and pulled out a sandwich, fruit, and chips.

Jeremy shook his head no. “That’s so nice, but I couldn’t. It’s my own fault, I-“

“Stop,” Lucca said forcefully, for him. “I have more than enough food. Besides, this way you can bring food in for both of us next week.” He smirked, then wondered if he had overstepped. ‘I wonder if he even plans to keep coming back here?’

Before he had any more time to think about it Jeremy picked up a grape and popped it in his mouth. “Sure, deal.”

Over the next few hours Lucca spent a lot of time learning about Jeremy. He found out he had a sister who also went to their school, and that he was one-year below him, a junior. He had started volunteering at Grace Memorial because as the president of the Key Club, he was always on the lookout for new places the group could help out. He was also a lacrosse player, which Lucca had known, but when he mentioned it Lucca had to wonder if that meant him and Matt were close.

They must be friends at least,’ Lucca reasoned out. ‘How could they not be when they’re both so unnaturally friendly? Ah, I bet he knows what Matt’s been up to lately, I could probably ask.’

Deciding to test his theory Lucca asked, “So Matt’s the captain of your lacrosse team, right?”

A strange emotion passed across Jeremy’s face. He bit his lip and turned to stare at the wall, as if something fascinating was suddenly going on there. ‘Maybe I shouldn’t have brought him up. That was a weird reaction.’ Lucca wondered what he could have possibly said wrong, then a thought occurred to him and he berated himself. ‘Oh, shit. I wonder if Matt told him about what I did last weekend? Wow, I must seem like a great guy. Nice.

“Yeah, he’s the captain,” came Jeremy’s curt response. When he finally looked back at Lucca his face seemed cold for the first time all day.

“It’s, uh, I mean... he’s my neighbor. I thought you two might be friends?” That had been meant as a statement, but his nerves caused his voice to get higher. Since the topic was an awkward spot between them he was hoping Jeremy would choose to ignore the question.

“We’re not especially close.”

That was the end of it. Lucca was curious about what was going on between the two of them. Since he and Matt weren’t speaking, and Jeremy was so closed lipped about it, he figured that he might never have an answer. ‘I guess that’s what I get for bringing up useless subjects.’

Twenty minutes later their conversation was greatly improved as they were about to part ways for the day. The end of January seemed especially cold this year, and Lucca pulled his hat snug over his chilled ears. “I’ll see you next week.” He waved goodbye before turning to find his father’s car in the lot.

“Wait,” Jeremy called behind him rushing across the parking lot to catch up. He pulled a cell phone from his oversize jacket pocket. “What’s your number? We definitely have to get together for that scrabble match.”

Lucca could feel his icy face heating up with a blush. “I don’t have a cell phone,” he admitted.

“That’s fine,” Jeremy said. Lucca gave his house number and they parted ways- for real this time, and with a promise to get together for games.

New friend, huh?’ Lucca thought sliding into the drivers seat. ‘Addie will either never believe me or interrogate me to death.’ It was rare for Lucca to talk to anyone new these days. Before his mom… well, before he had still been shy, but he had a lot more friends to talk to. Now it was rare for him to speak at all during school unless addressed directly by a teacher. Briefly Lucca thought of going to Addie’s to talk, but he didn’t feel like reiterating his whole day to her, and he still had homework to finish.

The ignition was turned off as Lucca sat parked in the driveway outside of his house. He was home, but he didn’t feel like going in to the house yet. In his gut he felt the urge to do something, anything really. The anxieties and weight he normally had on his mind weren’t there. ‘Maybe things really will change. Today was good. I can do this, things are going to be better.’ Lucca smiled to himself replaying the last few days in his head, ‘It’s already better.’

The temperature was 20 degrees and darkness had settled in, but Lucca started walking regardless. There was something refreshing about walking, and it beat going inside to do homework right away. Cool night air helped him to quiet his thoughts; he walked a long time and nothing troubling entered his mind.

On his second lap around the neighborhood Lucca stopped to get a scarf out of the car. He had just pulled the checkered cloth from the back seat when he heard a voice.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing?” Came Matt’s angry voice verging on yelling from next door. Before there was time to think Lucca ducked down beside the car afraid the hostility was directed toward him.

Sucking in a breath Lucca got ready to stand up, until he continued, ”I told you to stay away from this.” The hatred in Matt’s voice was apparent even from where he sat on the cool cement.

“I heard you. But, why should I listen to anything you have to say? Obviously we have nothing to do with each other,” a second person chimed in, but the sentiment was steady and cool. Without seeing them it was difficult to get an idea of what was going on, but he definitely recognized the second voice. Curiosity got the best of him, so Lucca crouched down peeking around the back of the car.

It was Matt… and Jeremy? He drew in a quick breath; the last thing he had expected to see was his new acquaintance and Matt fighting. A few feet apart from each other they were standing on Matt’s snow covered lawn glaring at each other. Matt reached out an arm pushing Jeremy back a few feet and making him stumble. “Don’t get involved. It has nothing to do with you.”

Lucca wondered if he should announce his presence, he had no interest in watching someone get beat up next door. While weighing his options Jeremy seemed to regain himself.

He stood and turned striding away from Matt to the street. “We’re not talking about this anymore,” Jeremy called over his shoulder. “I stay out of your business no matter what you might think, and I expect the same.” Despite his composed speech, Lucca felt hurt underlying Jeremy’s words. This was not the same carefree attitude he had experienced earlier.

Jeremy kept walking quickly down the street; Matt turned swearing and kicked an especially large chunk of snow. Once they were both out of sight he let out a big sigh and sunk back next to the car. ‘What was that all about?’

He peeked around the side of the car one more time before making a break for the front door. Lucca dashed into the house slamming the door shut behind him. Leaning against the door he closed his eyes and relaxed, ‘Thank god Matt and Jeremy didn’t notice me there.’ When he opened his eyes his father was giving a peculiar look from the couch.

“Is there something I should know about?” His father asked with an amused lilt.

“No.” Lucca quickly threw his things over an armchair and made his way to the kitchen. “Are you hungry?”

His father stood from the couch and stretched, then followed him into the kitchen. “Your brother called looking for you earlier,” his father casually mentioned.

“Yeah?” Lucca turned to the refrigerator to look for food, slightly embarrassed that his dad knew he had called Rob.

“Yeah.” His father cleared his throat causing Lucca to turn and glance at him. Their eyes caught and his father continued, “He was really happy to hear from you, Lucca. I don’t want to force you or anything, but please stay in touch with him.”

In response Lucca nodded. His father smiled and then the mood lost some of its serious atmosphere. “He loves you, more than you know,” his father said with a bark of laughter.

“What’s so funny?” Lucca said giving him a suspicious glare.

“Well,” his father paused to laugh, “He was telling me his plans for when you finally bring a boyfriend home.”

“Great.” It was impossible to imagine what embarrassing stories Robert might pull out if the right situation arose. ‘At least a story would be better than him giving someone the third degree.’ Not that he was likely to bring a boyfriend home anytime soon, regardless.

Later that night, long after dinner had ended, Lucca sat doing homework in his room. He paused in between two Calculus problems and looked out the window. The view led next door where he could see that Matt’s bedroom lights were still on.

When they were younger Lucca and Matt had always communicated to each other from their windows, either yelling back and forth or flashing their bedroom lights. Now, as Lucca gazed out it was a painful reminder. He really didn’t want to care about Matt in that way. Why couldn’t they just be friends as they had been in childhood? Things for them had become awkward, and Lucca was well aware it was entirely his fault. He turned over and collapsed down onto the bed on his back.

Please vote/ leave a comment.. I'll love you ;)
Copyright © 2013 intune; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well....things just got complicated. Usually, I am very patient with the unfolding of these stories. This time is an exception! Very well done.:worship:

Link to comment

I suppose this might be what you want, but I'm lost. Oh I get the players and stuff and that there is this tangled web you weave, but WTF is going on here??? :P

 

Okay fine, I'll wait, but I'm not promising to wait forever you know . . . well I'll wait a polite amount of time before I bug I suppose :whistle:

Link to comment
On 08/28/2011 09:09 AM, charlieocho said:
Well....things just got complicated. Usually, I am very patient with the unfolding of these stories. This time is an exception! Very well done.:worship:
Yeah, I feel like life always has to be a little complicated... plus it makes for a good story lol. I'm working on the new chapter now so hopefully i'll get it up next weekend. :)
Link to comment
On 08/28/2011 12:55 PM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
I suppose this might be what you want, but I'm lost. Oh I get the players and stuff and that there is this tangled web you weave, but WTF is going on here??? :P

 

Okay fine, I'll wait, but I'm not promising to wait forever you know . . . well I'll wait a polite amount of time before I bug I suppose :whistle:

I know I'm gonna have to start explaining.. it's a shame though I like confusing people lol. Stick with me! Everything will make sense :)
Link to comment

All these gay boys around and not a single smooch to show for it! thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Oh, wait a minute, I just remembered. There was a smooch, Jeremy and some mystery boy...but that was like 16 chapters ago! tongue.png And, I might add, not very satisfying.

Just sayin'. whistle.gif

Link to comment
On 09/28/2011 05:05 AM, Conner said:
All these gay boys around and not a single smooch to show for it! thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Oh, wait a minute, I just remembered. There was a smooch, Jeremy and some mystery boy...but that was like 16 chapters ago! tongue.png And, I might add, not very satisfying.

Just sayin'. whistle.gif

haha, that's a good point. I'll have to take care of that soon. Thanks for commenting :)
Link to comment
On 01/28/2012 11:04 PM, EmDee said:
Ah things are getting more complicated by the second and I love it! :D
All your comments make me so happy :D
Link to comment

I'm sorry I haven't review the previous chapters, but this is kind of catching.

Is there something we don't know about Matt and Lucca? It seems that way, Lucca has a really weird way of not showing his emotions towards him xD

Link to comment
On 02/12/2012 02:38 AM, Adamantyne said:
I'm sorry I haven't review the previous chapters, but this is kind of catching.

Is there something we don't know about Matt and Lucca? It seems that way, Lucca has a really weird way of not showing his emotions towards him xD

:D Thanks for reviewing! Matt and Lucca have a pretty complex relationship so there are probably a couple of things that haven't come to light yet.
Link to comment

well this story definitely keeps you guessing Germ is upset and hurt...don't like that! time to start piecing your puzzle together hmmm... this should be fun. love that Lucca is as confused as i am and yet at the same time part of the complexity.

Link to comment
On 05/19/2012 05:52 PM, Jammi said:
well this story definitely keeps you guessing Germ is upset and hurt...don't like that! time to start piecing your puzzle together hmmm... this should be fun. love that Lucca is as confused as i am and yet at the same time part of the complexity.
Hehe I guess since it's my story and I know what is going to happen I don't have any trouble figuring it out. All the characters will have to have awakening moments eventually. But hopefully as the story goes on it all makes sense :) I loveeee your reviews, they make me happy so thank you.
Link to comment
On 04/23/2013 07:06 AM, joann414 said:
Dazed and confused, but have to find out what the hell is going on so on to next chapter! lol
It'll all start to make sense.. I swear! Keep reading :P Thanks for the comments.
Link to comment

Okay this is turning I to a mystery of Scooby proportions, what in the world is going on? Really enjoying the character vortex you've created, thanks.

Link to comment
On 10/29/2013 03:06 PM, Miles Long said:
Okay this is turning I to a mystery of Scooby proportions, what in the world is going on? Really enjoying the character vortex you've created, thanks.
Haha! Everyone seems to think I'm creating a mess, I swear there's reason to it all! Thanks for the comment :D
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..