Jump to content
    intune
  • Author
  • 1,997 Words
  • 4,334 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Pitch Perfect - 3. Chapter 3: To Addie's

“Hey, you’re a sight for sore eyes,” Addie giggled as she threw open her front door. When she stopped to give Lucca a serious look her eyebrow quirked up. “Is something bothering you?”

Lucca let out a big rush of air. “I was hoping we could problem solve without actually talking about it. Maybe through avoidance?”

“Again?” She stepped away from the door to let him in.

“Yeah, sorry.”

Leaving Matt at the nursing home had been horribly cruel. Right at the moment, though, Lucca couldn’t feel bad about it. He was numb. Riding his bike to Addie’s had given him a chance to relax. Bringing up the subject again would destroy the bits of calm he had collected.

Aside from that, there was another issue. Addie had no clue he was gay. Lucca had considered bringing it up multiple times, but the timing never fit. He knew what the response would be too, ‘who do you like?’ Yeah, Addie would definitely care more about whom he was interested in than the fact he was gay.

It was difficult for Lucca not to tell Addie anything though; it felt dishonest. Addie had been a good friend ever since third grade. They had met during a class project where everyone was required to bring in a gift for a secret friend. Lucca had received Addie’s gift. Even at the time it had been obvious whom it was from. While most people gave small gifts like cards, Addie had wrapped a giant stuffed cat, which now took up residence on Lucca’s desk. That day had somehow cemented their friendship, and they only grew closer afterwards.

Keeping the fact he was gay secret was one thing, but Lucca didn’t want any more space than necessary in their relationship. ‘How can I phrase this…?’

Lucca sat down on the large love seat in Addie’s living room and faced the television. Without really thinking about it, he blurt out, “Matt gave me a headache.”

‘Oh my god, did I say that out loud? What the hell, that’s not even true! Well, I was sort of thinking about him when I got a headache, but it’s not his fault. That was probably the stupidest thing I could have said.’

Panicked, Lucca glanced sideways to see Addie’s reaction. She was twirling her long black hair in her fingers and biting her lip. She looked perplexed.

“Matt, your neighbor Matt? When did you see him, I thought today was hospital day?”

She was right, of course. After so long, obviously she knew his schedule. Her questions seemed fairly easy too, but the answers he would have to give would only open up other, harder, lines of query. Lucca turned to her and smirked, giving her the I won’t elaborate grin.

“That’s not fair, Lucca!”

‘It’s not fair, but right now my dad is the only one who knows I’m gay. I’m sorry Addie.’

“How about we order a pizza, my treat?” Lucca knew ordering food was only a momentary cover-up. Sooner or later, Addie would want to get back to the topic at hand.

“Fine,” she said begrudgingly.

Graciously, Addie ignored their previous conversation for most of the night. When the pizza came they talked about their plans for next Friday. They had decided to go to a Colombian restaurant in downtown Philadelphia called Tierra Colombiana. She had recently become addicted to a Colombian guava candy called Bocadillo and decided it would be fun to take a trip. Lucca was more than happy with the idea. Not only did it provide a good distraction, but also Addie’s plans always seemed to turn into fun adventures.

Halfway through the conversation Lucca let his mind wander to what it would be like to be planning a dinner with Matt instead of Addie. ‘I wonder how many dates we’d have to go on before we kissed? I bet he’s a great kisser.” The thought left as quickly as it had come when Addie waved her hand in front of his face.

“Lucca, c’mon. You could at least pretend to pay attention when I’m talking. Where are you today?”

“I’m here, I just… I had a long day.” His excuse sounded flimsy even to himself, and Lucca frowned.

“Yeah, yeah. We’ll talk about it when you’re ready.” Addie waved her hands dismissively and Lucca was glad yet again to have such an understanding friend. Then, to ease the tension she asked, “Would you help me pick out a topic for my Civics paper?”

They discussed the pros and cons of writing a paper on First Amendment law, and then researched together for a bit. It was almost ten-thirty when Lucca finally looked at the time.

“Ah, shoot. Sorry, Addie, I have to go. I never told my Dad I was coming over, and he’s probably wondering where I am by now.”

“No problem. I’ll see you at school tomorrow.” Addie smiled as they walked toward the door. He was just about to leave, but Lucca wished he could stay longer. He wasn’t looking forward to yet another sleepless night. A little disheartened by the thought, Lucca stepped out into the cold air.

“Hey,” Addie called from behind him. “Don’t forget about Friday, okay? I have the feeling we’ll have a good time.”

Lucca nodded then got on his bike. ‘Colombian food, Friday, check. Now all I have to do in the meantime is figure out what I want to do about Matt.’

It had been almost eight years since Lucca realized he liked Matt; still he was unsure as ever what to do about it. The day he noticed his feelings for Matt was memorable for two other reasons. It was his tenth birthday party. All of his friends discussed cute girls from their class while playing basketball. Lucca made a pass to Matt and while wondering when he’d like a girl. Then Matt made a beautiful three point shot and burst out with a wide grin. The world seemed to stop and Lucca realized his feelings right then and there. Eric, without noticing the earth bending revelation, passed the ball to Lucca. It had been a painful beginning to a first crush. Lucca walked away from the day with a broken nose and the realization that he was gay.

Wind whipped past him as made his way home. Despite his questionable day, Lucca was enjoying himself. The snow shone blue in the nighttime, except where the lamplight hit and made it orange. Lucca found it eerily beautiful. A few minutes later, Lucca skid to a stop in his driveway. He hopped off his bike and wandered inside.

The Amsley family home was modest, but very warm and welcoming. It was messier now than it had been during Lucca’s childhood. With his brother at college and his mother gone it was only natural for things to be different. His father left mugs of coffee and papers everywhere and since Lucca wasn’t exactly a clean freak they often weren’t moved for a couple days.

Lucca left his coat in the kitchen and then walked to the study to greet his dad. He sat on the leather sofa with one hand holding a mug and the other typing away on his laptop. He was dressed in his usual casual style, but his hair looked crazed, it practically mimicked the crazy pace he must be writing at to get the article done in time for publishing.

Knocking on the doorframe Lucca announced his presence “Dad, I’m home.”

His father glanced up at him, to the clock on the wall, and then looked back at him with a thoughtful expression. “I was expecting you earlier, Lucca. You could have called to let me know you were coming later, no?”

“Sorry, it won’t happen again. I wound up at Addie’s and she needed help doing some homework,” Lucca answered truthfully enough.

“Alright, see that it doesn’t. Matt stopped by for you earlier. He looked troubled; you might want to give him a ring.”

‘Oh boy, that was about the last thing I wanted to hear.’ Lucca didn’t notice but his face had become a mask of worry.

“I’m serious, Lucca. Call him.” Lucca’s father gave him one more hard look then shooed him out of the study.

After going back and forth about it, Lucca decided to give Matt a call. Even though avoiding him seemed easier, it would probably be better in the long run to apologize and be done with it. He picked up the phone to dial, but his hand shook as he punched in the numbers.

Deep breath. Oh god, it’s ringing. Think calm. Wait, everything is my fault. What if he hates me? What if this time he never wants to talk to me again? Or worse, what if he doesn’t care at all?’ When it got to the sixth ring Lucca practically vibrated with nervous anticipation.

“Hello?” It was Matt’s mother.

“Oh, hello, it’s Lucca. Could I speak with Matt?” Lucca asked as politely as possible.

“Oh, hey Lucca. I’m sorry Matt went over to his friend’s house. I think he planned on staying pretty late. Do you want to leave a message?”

Lucca thought that over for a second. ‘He’s not there. Went to a friend’s? Yeah, why not?’

Unconsciously, he let out a sigh of relief. “No, thank you. Just tell him I called please?”

“Sure thing,” Matt’s mom replied and then he heard a click.

I’m glad, right? A conversation tonight would have been really awkward. Yeah, I’m happy he wasn’t home.’ Lucca felt much better. He had tried to call Matt, so that was a step forward. One thing nagged at him, though. ‘I thought he didn’t have plans tonight? I wonder where he went?’ Lucca decided that it didn’t really matter. At least he had made an attempt to repair things. Now, Matt would call him back and things between them would go back to normal.

***

Things weren’t normal, though. As the week went by Lucca realized that Matt avoided him. Not the other way around. Normally, they would see each other leaving their houses in the morning, or maybe in school during in the interim between classes.

This week Lucca had not seen Matt once. Not even in passing. Zero. If he was nervous on Sunday, by Friday he was going insane. Sometimes he felt relieved that he wasn’t running into Matt. It had been stressful to see him all the time, but because he knew it was his fault, the separation was made him sick with guilt. He had called Matt’s house again on Tuesday, but he had an almost identical conversation- except this time with Matt’s Dad.

On Thursday, Lucca rang the doorbell at Matt’s house. No one was home, so he left a note in the mailbox for Matt to call him or stop by. ‘Maybe I really ruined things? Maybe we’ll never talk again.’ Lucca felt lost. It wasn’t like Matt not to return calls, no matter what kind of horrible stunt Lucca pulled.

It was Friday after school and Lucca was doing homework on his bed and wondering over what was going to happen between him and Matt. Lucca heard the phone ring, but his dad picked it up.

About ten minutes later his father called up to him, “Lucca, phone for you.”

Lucca ran down the stairs and grabbed the phone. He paused for a second before answering the phone. “Who is it?”

“Oh, it’s Addie.”

“You were on the phone with her for an awful long time,” Lucca accused.

“Yeah, well…” His father shrugged his shoulders and wandered off.

“Lucca! Lucca!” He heard Addie calling from the phone.

“Yeah?”

“Oh, hey. So I’ll be by to pick you up in about an hour. Wear something nice, okay? I want to dress up.”

Lucca had totally forgotten about their plans, but he knew it was too late to say anything but, “Okay.”

Please leave a comment, or vote, or both! ;) Thanks to Frosty, Talon and Jian for all the help.
Copyright © 2013 intune; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Question - when - time wise, is this set? I mean who has to come down to answer a house phone? Lucca would have his own cell for sure but at a minimum the house would have multiple phones, 20 years ago - not so much so just wondered that point.

 

Nice chapter, more about Lucca and add Addie into the picture. Are you going to switch back and forth for a bit, or is that just how it worked out thus far.

 

You're writing is very fluid, reads very well. Now just make the chapters longer :P

Link to comment
On 06/28/2011 05:13 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Question - when - time wise, is this set? I mean who has to come down to answer a house phone? Lucca would have his own cell for sure but at a minimum the house would have multiple phones, 20 years ago - not so much so just wondered that point.

 

Nice chapter, more about Lucca and add Addie into the picture. Are you going to switch back and forth for a bit, or is that just how it worked out thus far.

 

You're writing is very fluid, reads very well. Now just make the chapters longer :P

This is supposed to be set modern day, but I figured since Lucca doesn't have many friends and comes from a modest upbringing he wouldn't really need a phone. I'm planning to switch back and forth more in the future, but I think some of that will depend on what part of the story needs to be told next. I'm working on making the chapters longer, but once I get to that five page mark my brain starts going nuts lol. Maybe I'll write in a smaller font or something. Thanks for the comment :)
Link to comment

Nice chapter. Interesting developments. I'm looking forward to getting to know Sam Matt Jeremy and Lucca much better. I love the whole tragic past, brooding present thing going on with Lucca and I'm excited to find out more about that. Not sure about flicking to the future but I'll take that as and when it comes.

Link to comment
On 07/11/2011 06:14 PM, Nephylim said:
Nice chapter. Interesting developments. I'm looking forward to getting to know Sam Matt Jeremy and Lucca much better. I love the whole tragic past, brooding present thing going on with Lucca and I'm excited to find out more about that. Not sure about flicking to the future but I'll take that as and when it comes.
Eventually Lucca's whole past will come out, but it's nice to know you're enjoying the story now :D
Link to comment
On 08/28/2011 08:05 AM, charlieocho said:
This story is unfolding very smoothly. I am being drawn right in!:boy:
I'm really happy that your enjoying it. And I get so happy when I see comments lol :)
Link to comment

I just found your story today and I'm hooked! It's GREAT!

 

I just had a comment/question: In chapter three, I thought Matt was at the nursing home to pick Lucca up b/c Lucca's dad asked him to b/c he was stuck at work or something. So why when Lucca finally made it back home at almost eleven pm, his dad told him Matt stopped by and seem troubled? Why wasn't Lucca's dad yelling at him for leaving Matt and not taking the ride? Why did his dad not even mention sending Matt to the nursing home?

 

And why would Lucca call Matt on his house line at almost eleven? Why wouldn't he call him on his cell? I'm not trying to be picky, but if someone called here at almost eleven, I'd be annoyed b/c I'm trying to get my youngest to bed. Plus all my kid's friends call them on their cells? Doesn't Lucca have one? He should have called his father. And why isn't his father worried b/c Lucca should have been home hours ago with Matt?

 

Ok, sorry to nit pick. I do love this story though! I'm curious to find out how Lucca and Sam meet. Sam must be really special if he's gonna replace Matt's place in Lucca's heart. lol :)

Link to comment
On 10/19/2011 07:23 AM, Lisa said:
I just found your story today and I'm hooked! It's GREAT!

 

I just had a comment/question: In chapter three, I thought Matt was at the nursing home to pick Lucca up b/c Lucca's dad asked him to b/c he was stuck at work or something. So why when Lucca finally made it back home at almost eleven pm, his dad told him Matt stopped by and seem troubled? Why wasn't Lucca's dad yelling at him for leaving Matt and not taking the ride? Why did his dad not even mention sending Matt to the nursing home?

 

And why would Lucca call Matt on his house line at almost eleven? Why wouldn't he call him on his cell? I'm not trying to be picky, but if someone called here at almost eleven, I'd be annoyed b/c I'm trying to get my youngest to bed. Plus all my kid's friends call them on their cells? Doesn't Lucca have one? He should have called his father. And why isn't his father worried b/c Lucca should have been home hours ago with Matt?

 

Ok, sorry to nit pick. I do love this story though! I'm curious to find out how Lucca and Sam meet. Sam must be really special if he's gonna replace Matt's place in Lucca's heart. lol :)

Hm, you bring up some decent points. I guess I'd have to say that Lucca's father is busy and he's already scolding Lucca about calling Matt and coming home late so that seemed like enough? About the phone call- I guess maybe I should change the time closer to ten, but Lucca and Matt are neighbors and they grew up together so they call all hours. I might just be biased because that's how my house is. Glad you're liking the story. :D
Link to comment

Is it wrong for me to want to lock Lucca and Matt in a room together and not let them out until Lucca comes clean about his feelings? :P

Link to comment
On 01/28/2012 03:09 PM, EmDee said:
Is it wrong for me to want to lock Lucca and Matt in a room together and not let them out until Lucca comes clean about his feelings? :P
Nooo, but don't expect that to happen. :) They both skirt too much around issues.
Link to comment

nice chapter. first let me say i love that the story is set in PA lol i live in Philly made me smile to see downtown philly mentioned. anyway back to the characters, was Jeremy the friend Matt went to go see? Just curious if that is the connection there :) So i guess Lucca has made a mess of things at the moment. there is so much pain being conveyed here , i like the tone of this. i can easily believe that Lucca doesn't have a cell phone, some famileis are modest and old fashioned as such it works here. the simplicity and complexity of this story is really nice.

Link to comment
On 05/19/2012 02:31 PM, Jammi said:
nice chapter. first let me say i love that the story is set in PA lol i live in Philly made me smile to see downtown philly mentioned. anyway back to the characters, was Jeremy the friend Matt went to go see? Just curious if that is the connection there :) So i guess Lucca has made a mess of things at the moment. there is so much pain being conveyed here , i like the tone of this. i can easily believe that Lucca doesn't have a cell phone, some famileis are modest and old fashioned as such it works here. the simplicity and complexity of this story is really nice.
Yay, I'm glad you decided to stick with the story :) Thanks for the review! I've only been to Philadelphia once, but it seemed like a neat place. I'm glad you liked the mention though. You might be on to something with Jeremy and Matt, but you'll have to wait to find out the real story there :P Lucca unfortunately has a lot of stuff to overcome in the story- it's only the beginning of his healing. I'm glad you connected to the characters, it's nice to hear. :D
Link to comment

Okay, so now I'm worried about Matt....sceptic.gif I thought it was cute how Lucca's 10th birthday carried great memories, a broken nose and the realization that he was gay. I also dig the fact that his father knows he's gay. With so many other things to worry about in life at least that's not one of them... Addie seems pretty cool, everyone needs a good friend. Totally enjoyed this chapter, intune..thumbsup.gif

Link to comment
On 05/27/2012 12:03 PM, Naptowngirl said:
Okay, so now I'm worried about Matt....sceptic.gif I thought it was cute how Lucca's 10th birthday carried great memories, a broken nose and the realization that he was gay. I also dig the fact that his father knows he's gay. With so many other things to worry about in life at least that's not one of them... Addie seems pretty cool, everyone needs a good friend. Totally enjoyed this chapter, intune..thumbsup.gif
You're right about Addie.. I think she's a really good friend, and Lucca's dad is pretty special too :D Glad you liked this chapter and learning a little about when Lucca first developed a crush on Matt.
Link to comment

Im asking myself if lucca is ready to accept himself. He seems to because he wants people to know but he just cant find the right time i guess. Im reading between the lines that matt is a very sensitive person and lucca realises his mistake from the first chapter. I dont know enough about matt but i hope he will feature on his own in a later chapter. He is mysterious while lucca is lively and impulsive. Im enjoying this work.

 

Link to comment
On 06/05/2012 08:25 PM, LJH said:
Im asking myself if lucca is ready to accept himself. He seems to because he wants people to know but he just cant find the right time i guess. Im reading between the lines that matt is a very sensitive person and lucca realises his mistake from the first chapter. I dont know enough about matt but i hope he will feature on his own in a later chapter. He is mysterious while lucca is lively and impulsive. Im enjoying this work.

Thanks for the review :) I think you're right, Lucca definitely realizes his mistake but he doesn't really know what to do about it. Sometimes small problems can turn into a big deal if left unattended. Thanks for reading, and glad you're enjoying the story!
Link to comment

Oh man!! I am loving this.. its so sad that Matt is not talking to Lucca anymore. But well, it was very rude of Lucca leaving him at hospital like that.

Well, I hope everything turns out to be alright for them!

Link to comment
On 09/14/2012 04:07 PM, SidLove said:
Oh man!! I am loving this.. its so sad that Matt is not talking to Lucca anymore. But well, it was very rude of Lucca leaving him at hospital like that.

Well, I hope everything turns out to be alright for them!

Yay :D Glad to hear you're liking the story. Matt and Lucca have a complicated relationship... that's for sure *sigh*. I guess you'll have to wait to see how things turn out :P
Link to comment

I'm going out on a limb here and going to assume that Matt was the one seen kissing Jeremy. His eye red and puffy cause he was feeling hurt, betrayed and shunned. Hope this limb I'm climbing out on doesn't get hacked off behind me, lol.

Link to comment
On 04/08/2013 12:45 PM, CW Prince said:
I'm going out on a limb here and going to assume that Matt was the one seen kissing Jeremy. His eye red and puffy cause he was feeling hurt, betrayed and shunned. Hope this limb I'm climbing out on doesn't get hacked off behind me, lol.
Pretty good guess, but I guess you'll have to read on to find out ;) Thanks for the comment :)
Link to comment

Stupid me called SAm, Lucca in the last review. Sorry, guess I had Lucca on the brain. This is quite a mystery. So, where is Matt? Guess I will find out soon!

Link to comment

2nd chapter confused me. but i guess thats gonna change with the 4th chapter. we'll see :)

off to a good start. i totally have a craving for colombian food now ;)

Link to comment
On 04/23/2013 04:03 AM, joann414 said:
Stupid me called SAm, Lucca in the last review. Sorry, guess I had Lucca on the brain. This is quite a mystery. So, where is Matt? Guess I will find out soon!
I totally got what you meant :) Lucca is hard to get off the brain... lol. Matt is another mystery, he'll make his position known sooner or later :P Thanks for the comment!
Link to comment
On 04/23/2013 04:05 AM, pfox25 said:
2nd chapter confused me. but i guess thats gonna change with the 4th chapter. we'll see :)

off to a good start. i totally have a craving for colombian food now ;)

I can totally see where you're coming from there. Maybe I should do a note that the story is from two points of view. Thanks for the comment though :) Yes... I love colombian food too.
Link to comment

Hmm Lucca seems to be in a bit of a mess of his own making. Eager to see how this all comes together. Thanks for the good work.

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..