Jump to content
    James K
  • Author
  • 799 Words
  • 754 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Russian Summer - 8. Chapter VIII

We learn about Alexei's father and the relationship between father and son...

At breakfast the next morning my mother was not pleased about how I had spent my evening, but she was not too severe with her telling-off. She asked what we had done and I told her, but omitted much of the detail. For my mother our neighbours were not the sort to frequent, but she left it at that. She was more concerned about me wasting my time when I should be studying for my examination to enter the university. My father in contrast, took me by the arm, after breakfast, and led me into the garden where he insisted I tell him everything about the Gabrelyanovs.

The relationship I had with my father was both distant and close at different moments. Mostly he was gentle, kind, and respectful towards me and allowed me a great deal of freedom. He was not concerned very much about my education, taking only the slightest interest in my academic achievements, of which there were not too many. I regarded him with admiration, and I loved him. He could with the simplest gesture or a few kind words evoke a tremendous affection in me towards him. I very easily talked to him like a friend and confidant and he encouraged me to speak freely. Then as easily as we had been close, sharing a moment together, he would distance himself. Still kind and gentle, but he pushed me away and once again we were apart as was our usual relation for most times.

Sometimes my father was exuberant and he shared himself with me. We would touch and romp together, he would caress me with a fond tenderness, but this was rare and such occasions would quickly vanish giving me a certain profound sense of loss. I used to watch and scrutinise him, searching for something, but I knew not what. He would seem to have an empathy with me and to know exactly how I was feeling. He might then come close to me and give a touch, a pat on the cheek, a simple gesture that provoked a surge of emotion within me. I came to realise that he had not too much time for family life, that my father was occupied elsewhere. From time to time he would impart a certain knowledge saying such things as "don't be ruled by others." Once, when I was expounding new found liberal views, he asked me, "Do you know what liberty is?" I shook my head.

"Liberty," he repeated, "is to know yourself, and to be yourself, to seek fulfilment."

My father had this zest for life, he possessed a power, and a desire to live fully. On later reflection, I could understand that perhaps his character, his love of life, was created through a certain presentiment that he would not be long in this world, he died aged forty-five.

I told him everything about how I had spent my evening with the Gabrelyanovs. He nodded, interjected little comments, and appeared to contemplate what I recounted. We sat together as two old friends, on the garden seat, and we talked for what seemed to me like hours. It was not, and it was I who did the talking, pouring out my heart. Because his closeness encouraged me to share and even, although I was terribly reluctant, to bring up the name of Konstantin, and I could not prevent myself from exhibiting my admiration for this gallant young hussar. My father laughed and grew thoughtful, finally he got up. He said he needed to stretch his legs, but I knew his character, he was distancing himself again. I stayed, sitting on the bench, and watched him stroll off. I thought of asking him if I should walk with him, but I already knew his reply. I saw his direction took him towards the lodge where our neighbours were living.

He stayed at their house for an hour or more and then did not come back home, but went off to the town. It was not until the evening that my father returned.

After dinner I went to see the Gabrelyanovs myself, however, I only found the old Princess Agnia. She beckoned me over and asked me to sit, then she presented a rather dirty sheet of paper. "Would you be so kind as to take this and copy me the petition?"

I could not refuse, and as she handed over the paper she told me to be certain to write clearly with large letters and "couldn't you do this today," she insisted.

As I left, petition in hand, I glimpsed the young Anoushka in her room, she stared back at me with somewhat chilly eyes, only a moment, before closing the door.

I spent my whole evening copying the old lady's petition.

Coming next, Princess Anoushka, Alexei and Konstantin, freedom and turmoil.
Copyright © 2021 James K; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Alexei's father isn't too atypical for the time. If anything, he shows more emotional attachment than most men. If he dies at 45 and Alexei is already 16, his death can't be too far away.

I fear Alexei might have shared a little too much.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Alexei's father seems to be a complex character, he appears easily understandable with his gentle amiable manner, but is at the same time close and then distant with his son, not too concerned, yet interested. A very different person to his mother.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..