Jump to content
    James K
  • Author
  • 802 Words
  • 2,501 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Russian Summer - 1. Chapter I

I was not sure whether or not to post these short chapters together or seperate. I opted for the latter choice, because it gives an opportunity for comments and feedback, and hopefully to build an audience.

We were living in Moscow where my parents had rented a house. It was a short walk across the river to the Alexander Gardens and I used to go there each day. Usually the mornings, but sometimes at dusk. From where I entered the park you could see the Borovitskaya Tower with it's green roofed spire. Of course, the place was not the same in summer as it was covered with the winter snow. Honestly, I can't say which time of year I preferred the most, but the warmth of the sun lifted my spirit.

No one interfered with my freedom. I was preparing for university with the help of a private tutor. I didn't work much, neither did my tutor, a Frenchman. He'd arrived in Russia as a stop on a sort of world tour of the northern hemisphere. Much of his time was spent in bed, a fixed expression on his face. I had difficulty deciding if he was crazy or lazy, most probably he was intoxicated. My father treated me with kindness as was his gentle nature. My mother hardly noticed me, although I was her only child. She was ten years older than my father and occupied her own world.

I felt a sense of freedom that enveloped me at the same time as the summer sun climbed into the sky. My life was one of expectation, I dreamt of what might be and harboured fantasies which kept me company at night. As I walked through the greenery that lent an air of calm to the busy city, an oasis that both consoled and angered my being, I yearned for things to happen and yet I was at the same time comfortable doing nothing. It would be true to say I was struggling with my own self, but it was not an internal war, more the highs and lows of riding the waves of life.

When I felt the need to get further away, to dispel a moody contemplation, I cycled. I ignored everything except the sun on my face, and rode familiar routes through the city. The people I passed were like shadows, passing blurs, and I never stopped to think about them or their lives. Unlike on my walks, where all I thought about was crossing paths with some stranger, my knight in shining armour. It was a vision I had, which never had a defined shape or figure. Something hidden and half-conscious, an awareness that had yet to take form. Oddly I had a sense of a secret nature which might be shameful and yet it was not at all so for me.

One thought gained the foremost place amongst all my day dreaming. It was that I had a destiny, one which would soon reveal itself.

As summer properly took its place we left the city to take a long sojourn in the country. My father had us swop the city apartment for a wooden house which sat with a sort of weary grandeur asserting it's presence over several smaller buildings. Those other buildings were two lodges and a long single storey factory. I call it a factory, but it was mechanised in only the simplest of ways for the manufacturing of wallpaper. My father said the worth was in the work of the artisans who designed and produced the finished product for the rich and famous. What he really meant was that with very little he managed the production of something he sold at a large profit. Included in the very little were those artisans whose wages were just so small. I took to aimlessly wondering through the factory building surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the work, watching the young apprentices labouring over the wooden presses. Something about bodies at work provoked an admiration in me, rather like one might feel for athletes on the sports field. Of the two lodges, one was empty and available for rent. One day, not long after we had arrived, I noticed a family had moved in, parents, grandparents, and children. It was over supper that my mother posed the question as to who our new neighbours were. As it turned out, they were the Gabrelyanovs, apparently of noble origin. This news seemed to bring a light to my mother's eyes before she concluded, 'No doubt with no money.'

My father simply smiled. Although her observation was probably correct, stating the obvious was for him rather vulgar.

The lodge the family were occupying was hardly big enough for so many and somewhat dilapidated. It would not be the choice of people with any means or who were at least moderately well-off.

At the time all this simply passed me by, I never purposely chose to be drawn into conversations with my parents.

I would be very pleased to receive any comments about the story, any comments at all, because it would be a huge bonus to know what your initial thoughts are.
The next chapter will be published shortly. As a new author the chapters go to the review process before they appear.
I would encourage you to follow the story so as to receive notifications of new chapters.
Copyright © 2021 James K; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

11 hours ago, Okiegrad said:

Great start! I’m intrigued 🧐

Thank you. I'm pleased I captured your imagination and wetted your appetite for the story.

9 hours ago, drpaladin said:

The chapter was extremely brief, but you have me interested.

 

The next chapter is shorter! It wouldn't be any problem if I published the whole book, however, being serialised it might leave you having to wait too long. When the chapters are short I will publish the next one as soon as possible, which should be a day later, although being a newbie, it has to get reviewed before publishing. I hope your interest will be sustained.

6 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter, you have intrigued and wanting more.

Well what more could I ask for. I have you all interested and wanting more 🤗

  • Love 2
Link to comment

@George Richard thank you for commenting. The second chapter is with the review team and the third will be posted for review tonight. The limit is one chapter per day and they are not long chapters.

Addendum: Chapter Two got lost in the publication process and I have just now re-published it, sorry for the delay, still not sure how the process works.

Edited by James K
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Thank you @Daddydavek for commenting, it is useful to know how our protagonist comes across to readers and that the story reflects those characteristics. His name is mentioned in the story summary, but in the story itself, not until chapter four.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Keith, an interesting 'period' story set in pre-Bolshevik Russia and told from Alexei's perspective. As for posting it one chapter at a time, that's the best way to build reader loyalty. But I suggest finish the story completely and then post a chapter daily or weekly. I'm sure you've starting reading other stories only to have them abruptly stop, never to be finished for various reasons. 

A Russian Summer so far as well written with only one spelling error catching my 'Editor's Eye' in paragraph 6 where you wrote: "... My father had us swop the city apartment for a wooden house..." And I'm certain you meant 'swap'. 

One suggestion I make to authors, writers, journalists, their editor(s), proofreaders et al, especially if they're posting online, is to beware of three writing 'aides' that are most often the cause of errors.

First' turn off or disable 'Predictive Spelling'. It's often either correcting to American spelling or substituting words not intended.

Second, using 'Spell Check' Apps for the same reasons as above.

Third, turn off or disable 'Grammarly' and similar Apps because they're often created by developers / companies located where English is not their native tongue. They get spelling, grammar, context and more wrong. If using these Apps, make sure your proofreaders have the background to accurately do they job right the first time.

Finally, when your work has been 'gone over', take time to proofread it yourself, ideally in a quiet place. If something catches your eye, trust your instincts and check again.

Looking forward to seeing how this story unfolds.

Tony (Anton)

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 2
Link to comment

@Anton_Cloche First, thank you for reading and commenting. 

2 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

I suggest finish the story completely and then post a chapter daily or weekly

That is what I have been doing, daily posting, with a couple of delays going through the moderation review, but now I have permission to post the story direct (thank you Cia).

2 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

one spelling error catching my 'Editor's Eye' in paragraph 6 where you wrote: "... My father had us swop the city apartment for a wooden house..." And I'm certain you meant 'swap'. 

There may be spelling errors, but both swop and swap are acceptable spellings of the same word, and meaning the same, to exchange.

I appreciate your advice about spell checking, my word processor does not employ predictive spelling, but can sometimes write unintended words, because I mis-type when tapping too fast etc. And yes, converting to American English is a problem. I read through and do a final check when posting, small chapters aid the process. As for having my work "gone over," like all the new writers here and a lot of existing writers, that is a resource which doesn't exist (see the many requests for editors). 

We can only do the best we can in the spirit of dedicated amateurs. I would be pleased to read any other comments you can add as you read, and will reply. The story is finished, I was writing chapters ahead of publication from an outline and the daily publishing schedule, reader comments, and likes, has kept me on track to finish it. Thanks again for your remarks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..