Jump to content
    James K
  • Author
  • 520 Words
  • 1,393 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Russian Summer - 3. Chapter III

These are short chapters, so the next will follow tomorrow.

When I did finally get out of bed, the only thought I had was, 'how could I get to know these neighbours and their friends?' Before bothering with breakfast I strolled around outside the house next door. Not too close, I did not want to be caught snooping, although there was nobody about. I saw no one inside. Perhaps they were even later risers than myself. It was after breakfast, when it was almost eleven o'clock, that I was simply compelled to try again. This time I was sure I spotted the young lady, but I was too scared I might draw attention to myself, and hurried away.

For the rest of the morning, or at least the brief time until lunch, I kept wondering over and over how I might introduce myself to the neighbours. More importantly, how I might meet that youth with the short dark hair. I could not help imagining who he might be and where he came from. Who were his friends and why were they all visiting yesterday? Whilst all these many various thoughts invaded my head and I attempted to think up some plan, fate stepped in to provide the solution.

Whilst I had been wandering around thinking and planning my mother had received a letter from our new neighbour. This letter was not well written, was on poor quality paper, and sealed with a wax seal like that used by the post office, or on cheap bottles of wine. The letter was a request addressed to my mother to be received by her at our home. Our new neighbour was apparently a princess, but as my mother had guessed, from a family with financial difficulties. Nevertheless, it would be rude and quite simply not possible to leave the letter without response. The difficulty for my mother was that she was uncertain how to reply. My father was absent for a moment, and she had no one with whom she might seek advice.

When I appeared, it seemed to have resolved the issue. She was delighted, and instructed me to put on suitable clothes and call on the princess, to explain, in person, that my mother would always be pleased to receive her and that she was welcome to call, perhaps tomorrow at one o'clock. I should also say we, that is my mother, would be pleased to offer any service which was in her power, to aid the princess.

This rapid, unexpected, turn of events both delighted me and struck me with fear. A door had suddenly opened, but yet, it was only ajar. A way to formally meet our noble neighbours although I was still some way off from discovering who was the young man I so admired. Still, I was pleased and excited, one step at a time, I thought. The art of seduction lay in its subtlety, it was not to be rushed. Yet what did I, a sixteen year old boy, know about love and romance? Nothing more than could be divined from the pages of classic literature, which was certainly no guide for today.

I have read all your comments, so thank you, and thanks also for your likes and love it. I am enjoying creating this story and you are all very encouraging, the interaction with readers adds another dimension to the publishing process.
Copyright © 2021 James K; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Alexei's problem of getting to meet the neighbors is suddenly solved. Now if he can only settle his nerves and not overthink his simple task. It's hard to do when you're smitten. It surfaces the fool in us all.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
54 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Alexei's problem of getting to meet the neighbors is suddenly solved. Now if he can only settle his nerves and not overthink his simple task. It's hard to do when you're smitten. It surfaces the fool in us all.

Next chapter is with the review team. He meets the neighbours, and without spoilers, it is the start, a first step into, what? Exactly, where this leads, well that is the story... (hopefully you won't have to wait too long, I'm publishing daily and writing like mad 😀

  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Important first steps are about to occur!

The only question is where will this lead?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I’m caught in your web.  A good start. Thanks for your work.  Looking forward to an adventure into a fascinating time and place in history.  Pax.  Ste

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Another good chapter. Princess and dark-haired courtier (?) next door give Alexei something to think and dream about. 

When Alexei heads over to deliver his mother's invitation for the princess to come for tea, he might check to make sure the door is only slightly open (ajar) and not a container "... a jar" as indicated in the last paragraph. Only oops that stood out. Thanks for reminding me of the other spelling of 'swop'. My relatives will be on me about forgetting.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..