Jump to content
    James K
  • Author
  • 516 Words
  • 1,173 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Russian Summer - 2. Chapter II

Here is the next short chapter which due to my inexperience with this site has taken longer than I would have liked to publish. There is a limit to one chapter per day and when I first posted this chapter it disappeared. Chapter three will follow as soon as I can get it reviewed, and then we will start to get into the story. Thanks for being patient with a newbie.

The little estate, if you could call it that, being only a few buildings, a garden, and the woods beyond, was all the same served by a kitchen garden. Having been given a hunting rifle for my sixteenth birthday, which I had no intention of actually using to shoot animals, I did use it to frighten the birds.

The lodge occupied now by the newly arrived Gabrelyanovs bordered the kitchen garden, and it was one morning when sending the seemingly ravenous birds fluttering into the sky with a loud bang, I attracted the attention of a group of young men. Perhaps more importantly the curious gaze of a slender young lady dressed in white, she being surrounded by the group.

"Hey, you there!" Shouted one of the group. "Have you no respect for the peace of your neighbours?"

I was surprised to have suddenly become the centre of attention. It seemed up until then, these youths had been entirely occupied with the not unattractive young lady whom they surrounded. Fumbling with my rifle I first caught the eye of the girl herself, before I was dumbstruck by the youth. His short cropped black hair, bright piercing eyes, and a laugh that was almost musical and not mocking, but amused.

"What are you staring at, like a moron?" Said a voice close to me, and I realised I was surrounded by the other three young men. My heart was beating loudly in my chest and my cheeks were aflame with the embarrassment of being caught. Caught out in a sudden challenge and brought face to face with some new emotion which I could not identify. Lost for any answer that would be a fit response, I turned and fled the scene. I found safety back in the house and in my bedroom where I threw myself onto the bed and lay there struck by the image of this smiling youth and the girl.

That evening over supper my father questioned me, asking me what had happened to cause me to come rushing into the house. I wasn't aware he was there, or had seen me, but his question demanded a response. I was on the point of blurting out everything, my surprise, the neighbours, the group of youths, but something held me back. Instead I brushed off the incident simply saying I had run into the family next door. My father raised a quizzical eyebrow, smiled, nodded, and said almost to himself, "I thought you might have shot a bird!"

That night I slipped under the covers and fell asleep with the curtains Ieft open and the stars twinkling in the deep black sky. I dreamt of a youth with short dark hair and the young lady he was chasing, but didn't manage to catch. I had interrupted his pursuit and he stood, legs apart, staring at me with an annoyed air of incomprehension. I looked away, waking up, remembering only a little part of our adventure. I felt contented, it was too early to get up, not yet light. I fell back to sleep.

Your comments as always are very welcome, good or bad, let me know what you think, I will reply.
Copyright © 2021 James K; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The shy, awkward fumblings of youth. I hope the next encounter goes better than the first.

  • Like 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, drpaladin said:

The shy, awkward fumblings of youth. I hope the next encounter goes better than the first.

 

2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

The shy youth, let's hope the next encounter is smoother.

To answer you both, I don't want to say too much and spoil the story, let me just say that as the summer moves on and things happen, our shy youth grows up and that is never all smooth sailing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..