Jump to content
    James K
  • Author
  • 611 Words
  • 734 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Russian Summer - 10. Chapter X

Alexei receives a warning...

My torments began from that moment and though I racked my brains for some reason, any reason, I found none. For one brief instant we were close and nothing else seemed to matter, I had found a new force and confidence within myself, but it was not to be. Konstantin avoided me, despite what I viewed as our mutual declaration of love for each other. Was I mistaken somehow? I kept watch for his arrival at the Gabrelynovs, but his visits were less and less frequent. I grew more and more agitated and did not know what to do. One day I saw Vyacheslav arrive alone and I accosted him, demanding to know where Konstantin was, if he were ill or had some misfortune befallen him.

Vyacheslav was not a good choice, he asked me why I was always hanging around the Gabrelyanovs and seeking out Konstantin. "You should be studying and working, not wasting your time. What are you doing?"

I resented his remarks and told him, "You don't know what work and studying I do at home." No doubt my feigned offence was easy to see past, but I could not hide my irritation.

"Well," he stopped to appraise me, "whatever work you might do, we both know that is not what you are thinking about."

"I don't understand," I replied.

"You don't understand? That is not a good start. I see that I should warn you. I am not much older than you, but I know a thing or two that you dont. You are still a tender youth and believe me when I say you put yourself at risk. Not from us, his friends, but from your neighbours and from Konstantin himself."

"How?"

The question sounded like a petulant cry.

"Answer me this, how are you now? Are you happy? Is everything normal for you? Is all this good for you? What are you feeling?"

"What am I feeling? You don't know what, why do you ask these questions?" I was defending myself against a non-existent enemy. I knew I needn't fight with Vyacheslav.

"Oh my friend, young man, what use is such pretence when everything you feel is written across your face. Your heart is an open book. I should not come here myself, because nothing good will come of it, but I am a fool to myself. You, however, are intelligent and thoughtful, so why is it you don't see everything going on around you?"

"What is going on?" I genuinely wanted to know. I wanted him to say.

"I tell you the air here is not good for you. You like it in the greenhouse, it's hot and full of exotic plants, a nice, sweet place, but you can't live in it. You should content yourself to wander in your own garden, the one you know."

At that moment Princess Anoushka appeared, she came strolling towards us with an air of annoyance.

"What are you doing? Have you all the time in the world for yourselves that you would keep me waiting. And where is Konstantin?"

Where indeed? That was my purpose and what I had demanded to know, but with little success, because Vyacheslav was wont to talk in riddles.

"I am here to not disappoint you." Vyacheslav addressed the Princess.

"You already have," she said. "Come, as you are here anyway."

She turned ready to walk back to the lodge and as she did so she lent Vyacheslav her arm, which he took a hold of.

"It's bad for you, this atmosphere," Vyacheslav told me once again in parting.

I watched them stroll back to the lodge, arm in arm.

Whatever Vyacheslav was saying, he wasn't saying it clearly. We will see if Alexei can find his path?
Copyright © 2021 James K; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 hours ago, Gandalf said:

Interesting, I wonder what Vya is really saying?

Vyacheslav has a habit of imparting information but never in a straightforward fashion, as if his thoughts are for himself and yet he feels compelled to share them out loud with Alexei.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

We have a good idea what he's telling Alexei. The question is the same one Alexei has, where is Kostya and why is he suddenly staying away?

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

@drpaladin Vyacheslav for his part has a sort of explanation, although we are never certain about what he is saying, on the other hand, Konstantin, tends to simply be absent without explanation. I have no clues for you other than you may read between the lines and imagine the reasons... I have to keep a little mystery!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..