Jump to content
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Peter's Probationary Poems - 8. Some animal haiku

The animals in the garden are a daily source of quiet inner joy.

Owl

 

Spring-born owls demand

much fresh food from their parents,

mouse skulls in pellets.

 

 

Hedgehog

 

A pile of dry leaves

moving on the first warm day -

hedgehog emerges.

 

 

Mole

 

A day with spring rain -

where was immaculate lawn

a molehill rises.

 

 

Pheasant

 

Lame-legged pheasant

destined to die in winter

still greets me in spring.

 

 

Squirrel

 

The green leaves rustle -

making a path through heaven

playful squirrels jump.

 

 

Goldfish

 

Goldfish in the pond,

as the sun heats the water

they slowly surface.

 

 

Heron

 

Heron on one leg

waits this hot morning for fish

who let down their guard.

 

 

Blackbird

 

Blackbird is bathing -

splashing fountains of water -

rainbows in the sun.

 

 

Bat

 

A summer day ends -

bats circle soundless around -

insects be alert.

 

 

Tit

 

The sunflower’s heart

like an empty honeycomb

after tits feasted.

 

The prompt: write one or more Haiku based on an animal observation. This can be an inspirational moment, like a snail climbing a mountain, or a peaceful moment, like a dog napping on the grass. Just anything you see from the animal kingdom that makes you pause and reflect. Keep a seasonal word, and maintain three lines of 5-7-5 syllables.
Copyright © 2016 J.HunterDunn; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome, Peter! Pheasant is my favorite, followed closely by Blackbird, and Tit... loved them all... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

This is a lovely set of Haiku. It makes me feel privileged enough to actually be invited to walk with you on your property. That's a nice, warm sensation.

 

These poems are all very visual and good. Pheasant stands out for the inclusion of 'me' – I believe it's the one I will think about most.

 

Goldfish and Heron make an intriguing, mirrored pair – POV above and below the water. I like that.

 

These are beautiful, Peter. Thanks for posting them.

Link to comment
On 08/05/2016 05:42 AM, Headstall said:

Awesome, Peter! Pheasant is my favorite, followed closely by Blackbird, and Tit... loved them all... cheers... Gary...

Thanks for your review, Gary. I appreciate it.

The male pheasant started visiting us a few years ago. He usually accompanied two females and stood watch while they ate. If there were younger males approaching he would chase them away. Last year he had a severe limp, that didn't get better. I suppose he got into a fight with another male. Notwithstanding the limp he still guarded his two girls, but we thought he would not survive the winter in his disabled state. So it was a pleasant surprise to see him limping along again this spring.

Link to comment
On 08/05/2016 10:40 AM, AC Benus said:

This is a lovely set of Haiku. It makes me feel privileged enough to actually be invited to walk with you on your property. That's a nice, warm sensation.

 

These poems are all very visual and good. Pheasant stands out for the inclusion of 'me' – I believe it's the one I will think about most.

 

Goldfish and Heron make an intriguing, mirrored pair – POV above and below the water. I like that.

 

These are beautiful, Peter. Thanks for posting them.

Thank you, Al, for you kind words.

There isn't one about the pair of moorhens, that had a nest on the pond for the first time this year. They are shy creatures and their nest was well hidden under overhanging waterplants. Halfway June I surprised them and they were swimming along with several adorable hatchlings. The next day, a Sunday, I was up at about 5 in the morning, doing my usual round, when I interupted a ferret near the nest. He fled immediately, but I found four hatchlings on the bank neatly in a row all with their tiny necks bitten through. I know that is how nature works, but still had a sad day because of it.

As far as I can establish one hatchling survived till this day.

Link to comment
On 08/05/2016 07:46 PM, Mikiesboy said:

What a wonderful place...nice haiku, too!

Thanks, tim. I feel very priviledged to live in such an idyllic spot. I grew up in Rotterdam, a fairly big city, but did never regret the choice I made in my twenties to move to the country. My brother is exactly the opposite: he has always lived in big cities and when he stays with us he complains that he can't sleep because it is so quiet at night.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..