Jump to content
    jian_sierra
  • Author
  • 1,082 Words
  • 2,456 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Fall - Legends Entry

Adam - 1. Chapter 1

 

 

Adam

 

What makes a legend? Does it involve heroism with a hint of magic and mystery? Self sacrifice, perhaps? That one act for the good of many. Courage, putting others’ welfare before one’s self, steadfast devotion and charisma seem to be the ingredients that make a good legend. Something big and elaborate. ‘Legends are not made, they are born’, they say. Maybe they are right. Ignore what I said; of course they’re right.

Hear my story. This is not a legend. It’s a simple story of a man whom nobody remembers. Not one, except for me.

My story begins like that of any legend although, as I said, it is not. It happened ‘once upon a time...’

*************************

Adam Lane: that was the man’s name. Average looks, medium build and height, and middle-class. He was a good man.

Late one night, a knock came on his door. He lived alone and had no surviving relatives. His forehead creased slightly as he went to answer the knock. ‘Who could that be?’ he wondered. Adam didn’t get many visitors; he lived a somewhat secluded life. The frown deepened when he found the porch empty.

‘Weird!’ Weird, indeed for the porch wasn’t empty as he first thought it was. A few inches from where he stood lay a crib with a note attached to it. Reading the note, Adam knelt and unfurled the cover of the crib. ‘This is your son,’ the note said, signed by the woman he used to go out with. A baby wrapped in a light blue blanket looked back with silent interest at him. There was no doubt in Adam’s mind that this was his son; the baby had his gray eyes, deep red wavy hair and the same dimple on the right cheek. The man extended his hand and the baby grasped it with his two small hands; they both smiled.

The next day, with the baby in his arms, Adam went to his boss requesting permission to work from home. ‘You don’t really need me at the office everyday and you’ll save on overhead and overtime costs if I do my assigned projects at my house. I promise to be here when absolutely necessary.’ Adam worked as a web designer. The boss looked at father and son and he remembered his own children. What he’d give to spend more time with them. Shaking his head as if he couldn’t believe what he was doing, the boss granted Adam his request. And so the days passed that Adam worked from home while taking care of his son, Caleb. The neighbors urged Adam to marry so Caleb would have a mother to take care of him.

“Caleb already has a mother,” Adam stated.

To which the neighbor replied, “But where is she? Stop being stubborn, Adam! A woman’s touch is needed in this circumstance. Plus you need taking care of too.”

“Well then I have no need for a woman!” Adam said with finality.

This fueled the rumor that Adam was gay. He heard the whisperings behind his back, but he took no heed. Instead, he focused his attention on his son whom he loved with all his heart.

Caleb grew up looking more and more like his father. When he learned to walk, he broke all of Adam’s vases as he staggered to his feet; Adam cleaned up the mess with a smile on his lips. Learning to run, Caleb scraped his knees; Adam cleaned his wounds and gave him chocolates to munch on. Once he learned to ride his bike, he broke his arm; Adam took care of him and baked him his favorite cake. While learning to climb a tree, he fell down; Adam was so relieved that he was alright except for a few cuts.

One afternoon, Adam stopped what he was typing on the computer when he heard the front door open and close signaling Caleb’s arrival; his son was a teenager by then. Glad to see his son home, he didn’t notice the frown on Caleb’s face as he extended his arms to hug him. Caleb pushed him away with a disgusted look on his face before he could embrace him.

Concern flashed on Adam’s face. “What’s wrong?”

“You’re gay!” Caleb shouted.

If the man was surprised, he didn’t show it. In a calm voice, he said, “You’ve been listening to rumors, son. I would appreciate it if you stop this nonsense. Let me tell you this: there is nothing wrong with being gay. Anyone who says otherwise is a hypocrite.”

“‘There’s nothing wrong with being gay.’ That’s exactly what a faggot would say!” Caleb looked at his father defiantly, daring him to say that he wasn’t gay.

But Adam remained silent. He looked at his son with disappointment in his eyes. After that, the two barely talked to each other.

The gap between the two ensued for quite some time and would have prolonged if Caleb hadn’t had his heart broken. The schoolmate he liked didn’t like him back. With tears in his eyes, he meekly approached his father and Adam wrapped his arms around his son.

Despite that brief moment of estrangement, the father and son were as close as could be. Caleb hero-worshipped his father and Adam’s world revolved around his son.

Deafening silence filled the room when Adam told Caleb about his illness. Caleb was on his final year of college at the time. The son looked at his father with tears brimming in his eyes. He didn’t know what to do. Meanwhile, his father returned his gaze with a smile on his lips.

“I have a year left. Please don’t be sad, Caleb. I am leaving this world a happy man because I have you. If not for you, I would have died alone.” Adam extended his hand and wiped the tears off of Caleb’s face.

*************************

The story ends like the closing of any legend, ‘Adam died.’ Unlike other legends though, he didn’t die a hero; he merely passed away. He closed his eyes, took his last breath and left this world. Caleb sat beside him, holding his hand. The son wailed and grieved alone.

As I mentioned earlier, this is not a legend. This is the story of a man who taught me how to love unconditionally. Yes, Adam was my father. He made me what I am today. I miss him so much.

 

Dad, I love you...


Discuss this story

2011 jian_sierra; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Fall - Legends Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's Such a sweet, simple heartwarming tale.

*sigh* made me want to stop and think awhile about all the legendary people who made us who we are all this time.

Thank you for showing us the greatness in all people. :)

:hug:

Link to comment

A legend is simply a story about people. Their actions made heroes or special because of what they did for others. Can anyone say Adam wasn't a hero raising his son? I doubt it. Beautiful story Jian created here. Thanks for posting it Bleu.

Link to comment

Lovely story, J. A perfect fit for the legend category - the unsung legends, who endure so much, without being noticed. Great to have you back on GA. Thanks B, for posting. :)

Link to comment

It always warms my heart when any man praises his father for the gifts he gave them. Thanks for this story. thumbsup.gif

Link to comment

Feels very much like a legend to me. A legend is someone we remember, someone who has done a great thing... being a loving caring father who brings up a loving caring son is a great thing and he is certainly remembered... therefore, I would submit, he is a legend.

 

It's a beautiful story; truly beautiful

Link to comment

Isn't it such a hideous truism that the older we get, the more it fascinates us how much our fathers learn! And, it's never easy to get an opportunity to praise them for what they donfor you when they're still around. They make moving targets of themselves, always being just out of range.

 

Lovely piece. Really heartwarming. Somehow the pain of loss is hugely ameliorated in the ability to look back with fondness and a deep warmth.

Link to comment

I cannot deny being moved by this story. I never knew mine and there are no links to find him. Lovely story :):hug:

Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 01:45 AM, Frostina said:
It's Such a sweet, simple heartwarming tale.

*sigh* made me want to stop and think awhile about all the legendary people who made us who we are all this time.

Thank you for showing us the greatness in all people. :)

:hug:

[Reply from Jian]

 

I think your review summarized the idea behind this story point blank, very perceptive. And of course you're the first one to review. Thanks!

Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 02:52 AM, comicfan said:
A legend is simply a story about people. Their actions made heroes or special because of what they did for others. Can anyone say Adam wasn't a hero raising his son? I doubt it. Beautiful story Jian created here. Thanks for posting it Bleu.
[Reply from Jian]

 

This is a simple story about a man, nothing more or less. Whether this is a legend or not, I leave the decision to the readers. Thanks, comicfan, for reading.

Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 03:59 AM, carringtonrj said:
Lovely story, J. A perfect fit for the legend category - the unsung legends, who endure so much, without being noticed. Great to have you back on GA. Thanks B, for posting. :)
[Reply from Jian]

 

I can't possibly neglect GA, GA is like my family. I did what I could for this story and I'm glad for the finished product, even if I'm still not sure whether it's appropriate for the theme.

Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 11:06 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
I send you my comments in an email, but just wanted to go down as having read it and had to stop for a moment.
[Reply from Jian]

 

I appreciate your review. More so your email.

Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 08:26 PM, Conner said:
It always warms my heart when any man praises his father for the gifts he gave them. Thanks for this story. thumbsup.gif
[Reply from Jian]

 

And thanks for reading.

Link to comment
On 09/20/2011 07:25 AM, Nephylim said:
Feels very much like a legend to me. A legend is someone we remember, someone who has done a great thing... being a loving caring father who brings up a loving caring son is a great thing and he is certainly remembered... therefore, I would submit, he is a legend.

 

It's a beautiful story; truly beautiful

[Reply from Jian]

 

Thanks, Nephy. My non-legend is deemed a legend, me likes. I wasn't sure whether this story is appropriate for this theme so I'm glad you seem to think so.

Link to comment
On 09/20/2011 08:15 AM, Dannsar said:
Isn't it such a hideous truism that the older we get, the more it fascinates us how much our fathers learn! And, it's never easy to get an opportunity to praise them for what they donfor you when they're still around. They make moving targets of themselves, always being just out of range.

 

Lovely piece. Really heartwarming. Somehow the pain of loss is hugely ameliorated in the ability to look back with fondness and a deep warmth.

[Reply from Jian]

 

First off, thanks for reading my story. What we are is the result of our parents' upbringing. Maybe due to our maturity (or lack thereof), we are blinded on just how much they are teaching us. I didn't mean for this story to honor all the good fathers out there, but somehow I did and somehow, it just felt right to do so.

Link to comment
On 09/22/2011 06:19 PM, Foster said:
Words like legend are only echos of words like father, son.
[Reply from Jian]

 

I think this is the most cryptic review I had ever received. To think that a single sentence would make me reflect a lot, thank you. And thanks for reading my simple story too.

Link to comment
On 09/25/2011 02:53 AM, Mark92 said:
I cannot deny being moved by this story. I never knew mine and there are no links to find him. Lovely story :):hug:
[Reply from Jian]

 

**hug** I'm glad my story moved you.

Link to comment
On 09/26/2011 04:49 AM, Menace said:
oh my the beauty of love is something really amazing! Thank you for writing this master piece
[Reply from Jian]

 

Thanks for reading. Not sure if this is a masterpiece, but I did what I could to come up with a good enough story for this antho. Glad you seem to like it.

Link to comment

Thank you SO much for sharing these thoughts. This little piece is somehow in between a short story and a poem, I think - so much is said with these few words, or rather: they offer a whole range of emotions and reflections on your past.

Link to comment

I just read this and it made me cry for many reasons, some are personal. Thank you for sharing, there are many Adam's in this world they are real legends and should be celebrated. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..