Jump to content
    Karl Anders
  • Author
  • 2,447 Words
  • 809 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Florida Shores - 4. Trials and Tribulations

Woory, uncertainty, and doubt filled the day of the trial. Even though Robert Noone, council extraordinaire, wasn't worried, there was still the chance DCS couldn't be stopped. Charlie was frustrated that he could die in the military but he wasn't thought old enough to continue to take care of his brother as he had.
Will the judge be on his side? Will this be the last day he sees his brother Joey?

The day passed slowly for everyone as they waited for the four o’clock meeting. Joey decided to go to school with Peni and the others. Charlie and Drew did some more shopping and cleaned the house and pool before picking up Joey early from school.

The Kaiwis had everyone pile into their extended van for the ride to the courthouse. They were seated outside in the hallway until the bailiff directed them into the courtroom.

“All rise. The Okaloosa County Family Court with the Honorable Judge Ketchum presiding is in session.”

Judge Ketchum surveyed his courtroom and looked displeased, “Mr. Noone. Why is there a crowd in my family court? You know the procedures for this sort of case.”

Bob stood up, “Your Honor, the boys and their parents you see here are my client’s support system. They have acted as supplementary parents to my clients for many years. The officers have all been involved with the events occurring leading up to this hearing. I have asked them here to provide testimony if needed in support of my clients.”

“Very well, Mr. Noone, I will allow this. If you folks need to testify, my court is relaxed but you will still address the bench as, ‘Your Honor’. Ms. Fisher, you will present your side. Be concise, we’d all like to go home soon.”

Debbie Fisher stood up, “I received notification of the death of the children’s parents and proceeded with an immediate home visit to investigate their living conditions and guardianship. I found evidence of the boys sleeping together and possible evidence of abuse of the younger one, Joey Hudson.”

“That’s a very serious accusation. I was watching the boys and I saw the shock on their faces. Your evidence had better be iron-clad. I also am intrigued that Mr. Noone is here representing the boys. This is one of the few times since I’ve been on the bench that the children appearing have had a Family Law attorney representing them.

I’ve looked at the reports concerning your findings of the home. I see mention of them sleeping together. Ms. Fisher, in your experience, don’t siblings sometimes sleep together during times of stress and duress?”

Ms. Fisher sputtered, “Yes, Your Honor, they do. However, I have also seen this in abusive relationships.”

“Don’t play the Stockholm card yet, Ms. Fisher. Mr. Noone, who’s who here?”

Bob introduced the boys and the judge called Charlie to be sworn in. “I apologize, Mr. Hudson, for assuming you were underage. Trooper Ramirez wrote in his report that he found you two together and that Joey was by himself when he visited your home the first time. Is that correct?”

Charlie replied in the affirmative and the judge continued, “You two were alone for the week preceding the passing of your parents. Is it normal for Joey to be alone in the house?”

“He sometimes is for an hour or two if I have to attend a later class at the Community College, Your Honor.”

“Is that a normal occurrence?”

“Once a week, sir,” Charlie realized he didn’t say ‘Your Honor’ and looked abashed.

Judge Ketchum chuckled at him, “It’s OK, Charlie. Sir works. This happened even when your parents were alive?”

“Yes, Your Honor.”

“What does Joey do during that time?”

“Homework or he goes over to spend time with his friends, the Kaiwi boys.”

“I imagine those are the boys here in my courtroom. Are you very close to the family?”

“Our families have been together since we moved in ten years ago. They are like second parents to us.”

“Very good. Now to the, uh, item, Ms. Fisher reported being found in your room. Is it yours?”

Charlie turned beet red, “Yes, sir.”

Mr. Noone had to hold Joey down as he was about to get up and defend Charlie.

Judge Ketchum could tell Charlie was extremely nervous. “Ah. It’s OK to be gay, Charlie.” He looked specifically at Ms. Fisher.

“Now to the crux of Ms. Fisher’s complaint. You realize that you are now an adult.” Charlie nodded his head. “Have you had, um, relations with your brother?”

“Your Honor!” Bob exclaimed.

Judge Ketchum waved him down.

“No, Your Honor.”

“If you want to keep custody of your brother, it needs to stay that way. Do you understand? Even if he asks?”

Charlie looked at the judge and then his brother, he nodded yes.

“I need your words, Charlie.”

“Yes, Your Honor.”

“OK, son. I know that was hard. You may step down.”

Officer Kaiwi was directed to the stand, “I see that Mr. Noone has added you as a secondary guardian to Joey. I’ll accept that with the stipulation that Joey is not to be left home alone unsupervised. He is to be at your house if Charlie is not there.”

“Yes, Your Honor.”

“I see also that Ms. Fisher has filed a complaint against you for obstructing her visit.”

“She was being overly aggressive in trying to find issues to separate Joey and Charlie. I know both boys very well and know they are responsible beyond their years. Charlie has been using his own savings to make sure they have food.”

“That will be taken care of in just a bit. I’m sure you’ve been feeding them?”

Kekoa chuckled, “At least three times a week, but the boys ate over at the Hudson’s almost as much.”

“I have to agree with the State on some of the issues.” Ms. Fisher looked smug. “Even though Charlie here is considered an adult, I have to apply what my lovely aunt used to say about teenagers, ‘Once a boy turns fourteen, their brain goes on vacation and may never return.’ So, they are not to have unsupervised gatherings at the Hudson’s until we close the case. Either you, your spouse, or Jamie there will need to be at the house with them if all your boys show up there.”

“You may step down. … Now, Trooper Ramirez, since you had gotten involved with checking up on these two on Sunday, you will perform two unannounced wellness checks on them during the next month. If they aren’t home, you may check with Officer Kaiwi here.”

“DCS will perform their normal checks for newly placed foster children. Ms. Fisher, you personally, will expedite the paperwork for Joey’s support payments. Mr. Noone will supervise their trust and submit the report to your office and my clerk for the expenses incurred in the first quarter. Mr. Noone, you will collect the judgment from my Clerk tomorrow and present it to the bank to release Mr. Hudson’s parents’ accounts so he may pay for their expenses. He shouldn’t be expected to use his own savings. I’m surprised he’s had enough at his age which does point out that he is a responsible young man.”

Judge Ketchum paused and checked his notes. “OK, see my Clerk for the next hearing in one month and we’ll see about a schedule to close this up. If everything is running smoothly for a quarter, I don’t see any issues about Charlie’s guardianship.

Now, Charlie. I know this may seem like a lot of monitoring of you, and it is a little more than we normally do, I want to be assured that Joey is in good care. Show me that you are a responsible young adult.”

Charlie stood up and replied, “Yes, Your Honor.”

“Anything else you want to say to the court for the record? Remember to choose your words wisely, young man.”

“I know I’m not fully considered as an adult by some,” he paused looking at Ms. Fisher, “but I had changed my life plans to remain close to Joey to support him. I care for him a lot and will provide for him to the best of my abilities and with the help of Mr. and Mrs. Kaiwi. I don’t see why who I like should be an issue here.”

Judge Ketchum smiled and nodded at him. “It isn’t with me and most folks. I know very well that we don’t choose who we are attracted to. If you have any doubt about that, have a chat with Mr. Noone. I’m heading home to my wife and kids. Court adjourned.”

Joey looked at Charlie and asked, “Is it over?”

Charlie looked at Bob Noone who sighed, “Not entirely, Joey, but it’s the best we can hope for. We’ll meet tomorrow afternoon once we take care of the bank.”

Bob guided them outside the county building to a seating area to have a quick chat. “I’ll try and get Ms. Fisher reassigned but don’t hold too much hope for that to happen. She can hold one surprise inspection every two weeks for the first sixty days. Don’t be surprised if she does that. You two keep your noses clean. We’ll talk about what the future may look like tomorrow after getting you two some money to live on.”

Both of the boys looked divested at the news. “Now, if Ms. Fisher shows up at the house and you can’t get either of the Kaiwis over or myself, you are to record her inspection. The recording won’t be admissible in the court but I want you to have a record for me. If she objects and demands access, call the Sheriff’s office and have an officer come out. Get the officer’s name and badge number. I know it seems excessive, but we want to keep her honest.”

Charlie and Joey nodded at Bob’s instructions. “OK, time to go home and eat. Don’t focus on her or worry about anything happening. Judge Ketchum is a pretty good guy and he won’t let DCS ride herd over you.”

“How do you know?” Joey asked.

“You have to know how to read between the lines so to speak. He shut down and put a leash on Ms. Fisher. We should be good for the next week or two. Let me do what I can, boys. We aren’t done by a long shot.”

Bob guided them over to the waiting Kaiwis and Jamie. They all decided to eat at the Chinese buffet on the way home. Ke and Jamie said their goodbyes to Sargent Ramirez and promised to call him for another barbecue.

~~**~~

Joey and Charlie spent Tuesday and Wednesday at the Kaiwi’s after Joey got home from school only to go to their home to sleep. Drew went back to school on Monday. Both of the boys continued to sleep together for support.

The funeral home called on Thursday that they were expecting their parent’s bodies on Friday. Charlie told Ke and Alani after taking the call. “Do you want to see them?” Alani asked.

Charlie took a bit to respond, “The funeral director told me they were pretty mangled.”

“Didn’t they say something about being cremated and having their ashes scattered on the water?” Ke asked.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered.

“Can they at least make them look better for you to say goodbye?” Alani asked.

“Maybe? I don’t know.”

“Joey, what do you want?” Ke asked hugging him.

“I think I need to say goodbye to them before they get cremated,” he replied into Kekoa’s chest.

“I’ll call them then and arrange it. Maybe we can do that as a family on Sunday or Monday?” Ke offered.

“OK,” Joey replied.

Ke passed him over to Charlie and used Charlie’s phone to call the funeral home. The conversation was short as the arrangements were made.

Peni’s twin younger brothers, Nalani and Keahi, looked in from the hallway and whispered together. They then came in and grabbed Joey into a hug.

“We may be smaller, but we’re here for you also,” Nalani told him.

“I know. With you two, Peni, and Akamu, it’s hard to be sad long.”

“We’ll sleep together again tonight and the weekend. You should be close to your ohana when you feel sad.”

“Do you two remember your cousin, Makani, is coming to live with us this weekend? He’s finished his training and is starting his job as an EMT.”

“I’m sure he’ll like cuddles just like we do,” Keahi replied

“Yeah, papa, I know. I moved my stuff into Akamu’s room,” Peni said with a slight sigh.

Charlie heard the disappointment in Peni’s voice and had an idea. “Let’s talk with him when he arrives. Maybe he would like to live with me and Joey.”

“We’ll have a sit down on Sunday and give him that option.”

“How old is he?” Charlie asked.

“He just turned twenty-one. He tried college out and decided that it wasn’t for him so he enrolled in the EMT program in Boston. I know my brother would love for him to stay up there with them but Makani doesn’t care for the snow just as an islander shouldn’t. Nasty stuff,” Ke answered, shivering.

“Does he have a job?” Alani asked.

“He said the county has offered him a job. He just needs the certification transfer to finish. He said he should be starting next week.”

Charlie thought that maybe Makani being twenty-one and living with them would solve the ‘Fisher’ problem once and for all. Charlie and the boys went off to finish their homework before dinner.

The boys slept out in the tent again since the late spring temperatures were warm enough. Charlie helped Akamu put the rain fly back on since Akamu had taken it off earlier to air the tent out. Charlie set his alarm on his phone to make sure all the boys woke up early enough to get ready for school on Friday.

The twins decided Joey needed hugs and sandwiched him in between them. He would have preferred to be hugging Peni but he knew they meant well. He knew before morning, they would be together. Joey awoke to Peni holding him tightly. He always seemed to sleep better with another person in bed holding him.

“I’ll take the three of you to school today,” Charlie announced at breakfast.

“Why, bro?” Joey asked.

“I need to file the guardianship change with the office. Bob Noone reminded me to do that since I forgot.”

Joey sighed and Charlie reached over to hug him, “You know it would be a lot worse if we didn’t have anyone. We’d have been separated if we didn’t have our second family.”

By the afternoon, word had spread around Joey’s friends that his parents had died. While he appreciated them saying something, each time felt like another sting. By the time the afternoon finished, Joey grabbed Peni and they hurried outside to wait for the bus. A few of the older students saw them together and wondered.

Copyright © 2023 Karl Anders; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 8
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 4
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Mrs. Fisher is truly becoming a c u next tuesday witch...Every meeting or visitation by her needs to be recorded!!!

  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

I'm relieved the judge is smart and reasonable.  The boys have a great support system.  We're probably in for a sad next chapter, I hope the funeral is not too rough.  Hmmm, is Makani boyfriend material for Charlie?

  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Mrs. Fisher is truly becoming a c u next tuesday witch...Every meeting or visitation by her needs to be recorded!!!

Aw come on. Ms. Fissure just Can't Understand Normal Thinking. Or to paraphrase the late Texas Governor Ann Richards from her keynote address at the1988 DNC convention: 'She can't help herself. She was born with a silver boot up her hiney".

surprised oh my GIF

  

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

I have to wonder if Judge Ketchum left Debbie's leash loose enough for her to hang herself. Several of his comments were clearly warnings to her and it appears he is well aware of her homophobia and will not tolerate it.

It also appears Counsellor Noone has a good working relationship with the Judge and should therefore be able to limit the damage Debbie is able to do in her vendetta. Her time would be better employed working on cases where there is real abuse of children living in violent households or impoverished circumstances which are not conducive to a healthy mind and body.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..