Jump to content
    Katya Dee
  • Author
  • 1,993 Words
  • 1,875 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Debts - 25. Chapter 25

- XXV -

 

He dialed the same number again and got the exact same result as the last fifty or so times – no answer.

“Fuck!” he screamed and threw his phone onto the dashboard.

He flew into the parking lot of the hospital and brought the car to a screeching halt in front of the main entrance. He left the keys in the ignition and got out without shutting the door. One of the security guards marched up to him with a very clear ‘What the hell do you think you doing?’ expression on his face. That expression changed immediately when he recognized Julian.

“Park it somewhere,” the blond said shortly without slowing down.

“Th... there is someone inside...” the guard stuttered. “Does he need help...?”

“Don’t know, don’t care,” was the answer he received.

The guard wisely decided against saying anything else and paged for a nurse. Julian ignored the elevator – those things were slower than hell – and walked upstairs, cursing with every single step that he took. He made it to the right room and all but kicked the door open. He burst inside and froze in his tracks, completely mute. Raven was sitting on the bed, flipping through TV channels while devouring what seemed to be an entire chicken. The slam of the door made him jump and drop the remote control.

“Hey...” he said, blinking rapidly when he saw Julian’s expression. “What...”

“Why the fuck didn’t you answer the phone?!” the blond almost exploded, and Raven blinked again.

“Oh...” he glanced at the phone next to the bed. “I unplugged it... It was ringing nonstop,” he shrugged. “I was trying to eat...”

“Why didn’t you pick it up?!” the blond raged. “That’s what phones are for!”

“I figured it was someone from the staff again,” Raven shrugged, completely unshaken by Julian’s outburst. “They kept bugging me every ten minutes until I threatened to do something drastic if they didn’t leave me alone... I figured they decided to switch to the phone, so I unplugged it. Why...? You rang?”

Julian stared at him for a long minute, suppressing very strong and quite unpleasant urges.

“Oh, only fifty times or so,” he said tightly. “Goddammit, Raven! I thought you were dead! I thought it didn’t work!”

“What happened?” the brunet frowned and put the chicken away, wiping his hands on the towel next to him.

“Well,” Julian took a slow, deep breath, trying his best to control himself. “For starters, I got whacked on the head with a fucking bat...”

Raven’s eyes widened at that.

“Then, after I came about, something exploded in that damn circle...”

Raven looked like he was about to say, ‘What circle?’ but he decided against that.

“Then I find goddamn Specter knocked out cold, and that bitch of your friend cutting herself, laughing like a maniac while screaming your name and the word ‘Death’ in the same sentence...” It was getting harder and harder to keep his voice down, he realized. “Then I am calling you, and you unplugged the fucking phone!”

Raven sighed, picked up the remote control, and turned off the TV. Then he got off the bed, walked towards very pissed off blond without saying anything, and pushed him into the wall while kicking the door closed.

“Sorry,” he said in a low voice after draining all breath out of Salamander.

“You taste like chicken,” Julian muttered and pulled him towards himself again. “They let you wear your normal clothes?” he asked after several minutes.

“That surprises you because...” Raven frowned slightly. “I said that I’d be damned if I wore that idiotic gown...!”

“Would make this easier...” the blond muttered while pulling off brunet’s shirt. “Fucking hell, it worked...”

“Yeah...” Raven breathed. “I have brand new blood now... Exchange transfusion...” he shook his head. “How in hell would he even know about it?”

“You forgot what he used to do for a living?” Julian shoved him towards the bed. “Would surprise me if he didn’t...”

“Dammit,” Raven muttered while hastily undoing blond’s belt buckle. “You are not in me anymore...”

“Easy fix,” Julian assured him and ripped off his jeans’ button. “Believe me, a very easy fix...”

 

****

 

“Goddammit, why didn’t I go with him? Bloody hell, why didn’t I go with him? This wouldn’t happen... Desmond, don’t you dare fucking die on me! God, if he dies...”

“Rayhe...” Desmond muttered with a slight wince and peeled his eyes open. “Seriously...”

“Des!”

“Ow...”

“Sorry...” Gabriel let him go and pulled away, his hands still on Desmond’s shoulders. “You scared all shit out of me, just so you know!”

“Yeah, scared the shit out of myself...” Desmond grumbled and carefully sat up. His chest ached dully.

“What the hell happened?” Gabriel’s relief made his voice crack.

“No idea,” Desmond yanked out a tube that was attached to one of his arms.

“What are you doing?” Gabriel demanded and tried pushing him back on the bed.

“I am fine,” Desmond muttered and got off the bed. “You kidding me?” He looked at the hospital gown he was wearing. “A freaking gown?”

“You are in the hospital, what did you expect?” Gabriel rolled his eyes.

“Give me my clothes back, will you? There is no way in hell I am wearing this! Oh for the love of God... My ass is hanging out...! Shut up, Rayhe! Just give me my damn clothes!”

Gabriel handed him his clothes, still shaking from laughter.

“Bloody hell...” Desmond muttered while pulling on his pants. “How did I even get here? The last thing I remember is that light knocking me down... What?” he narrowed his eyes at Gabriel’s expression.

“Julian brought you here,” he said, and Desmond let out an exasperated sigh. “Doesn’t surprise you?” Gabriel frowned.

“No,” Desmond said with annoyance and threw the gown on the bed. “If he didn’t, he would owe me for the ride to the Rock Garden, and I am a living proof that bastard doesn’t owe anything to anyone... See,” he sighed, wishing for a cigarette. “If he left me there and I died, he would still owe me, and that would bug the hell out of him...”

“Huh,” Gabriel said thoughtfully. “He is here somewhere...”

“Rayhe,” Desmond shot him a warning look. “If you even hint at me thanking him...”

“God, no!” Gabriel grimaced. “Technically, he still owes you...”

“No, he doesn’t,” Desmond sighed. “Goddammit, I have to find him... He has my car keys... Bloody hell...! Screw it,” he muttered. “I’ll just buy a new car...”

“Yes, he does,” Gabriel nodded. “And yes, we’ll find him. He owes you for Raven.”

“He didn’t kill me for Raven,” Desmond said pointedly.

“For saving him,” Gabriel nodded. “But he still owes you for the exchange transfusion plan!”

“We don’t even know if it worked,” Desmond shrugged.

“It worked,” Gabriel nodded firmly. “He didn’t murder anyone in the hospital last night,” he explained when Desmond looked at him with a silent question. “Believe me, if it didn’t work, we would know about it by now. Seriously, the man let us off the hook for that guy; do you think he would just calmly leave if some nurse told him that Raven died?”

“I see your point,” Desmond said thoughtfully. “Huh, he does owe me, I guess...” He shrugged. “I am not going to tell him that, however... Not yet,” he added in a low voice. “Never know when such a thing might come in handy. If I tell him, the bastard will figure out a way to pay me back and I don’t want that.”

“I still don’t get it...” Gabriel said, watching Desmond pulling on his sweater. “Raven,” he said after another silent question. “How in hell would someone normal...”

“Oh, he is not normal, believe me,” Desmond said darkly. “They have much more in common than it seems. When I got to the hotel and mentioned Sam, Raven asked who I was talking about. Salamander told him,” he nodded. “Calmly and with pleasure...”

“And...?” Gabriel frowned when Desmond stopped talking.

“Raven just shrugged and said, ‘Well, at least he survived’... Yeah,” he nodded when Gabriel blinked at that. “Methinks they are very much alike.”

“Takes one to know one, I suppose...” Gabriel muttered. “He seems completely normal though.”

“Anyway, a debt from someone like Salamander is a good thing,” Desmond nodded again. “Don’t tell him!” he warned, and Gabriel sighed.

“I won’t...”

“Come on, let’s go find him and get my car keys. I don’t want to be here any...”

A soft knocking on the door interrupted him.

“Come in!” Gabriel called loudly.

The door opened just a little, and then there was tentative:

“Desmond...?”

The black-haired man grinned.

“Come in, kid,” he said, and the door opened all the way. “How’s the fire-guy?”

“Pissed,” Sam nodded with a small smile. “Sorry about that, by the way... I had no idea he would go to your place... He just came back from his rounds, and he pried it out of me, got very pissed off, and left. I figured he went for a drive,” he sighed.

“No big,” Desmond shrugged. “Umm, he didn’t come with you, did he?” he frowned, thinking that it would be a quite unfortunate thing otherwise.

“No,” Sam sighed again. “He said...” he coughed. “He said that he was sure you were fine, since hell doesn’t want... ummm... someone like you any time soon.”

“He said ‘asshole like him,’ didn’t he?” Desmond hemmed.

“Somewhat close,” Sam nodded.

“Well,” Desmond sighed. “Kid, I need to go get my keys from a certain someone, and believe me when I say it, you do not want to come with,” he nodded firmly. “How about you drive to our house... You still have the key, right?”

Sam nodded somewhat stiffly, and Desmond turned around, making sure he got everything and didn’t leave anything behind.

“He is here,” Sam said numbly. “Goddammit, that son of a bitch is here... I should call Blair, I really should... If I call him right now...”

“Kid, don’t!” Desmond whirled around, slightly wincing from dull ache in his chest. “Look, I know that you want him to burn in hell, but believe me on this, all right? Do not tell Blair that he is here! I am not trying to protect him, God forbid, but...” He frowned at Sam’s expression. “What?” he asked when the younger man just stood there, staring at him with huge eyes without blinking. “Kid, what is it...?”

“How did you know that I wanted to call Blair...?” Sam asked numbly, and Desmond frowned deeper.

“Umm,” he said. “Because I am not deaf...?” he offered, and Sam finally blinked.

“I never said it out loud,” he muttered slowly.

“Right,” Desmond rolled his eyes. “Kid, you said it, all right? You probably didn’t realize you were saying it but...”

“Des,” Gabriel said quietly. “He didn’t say a single word.”

Desmond slowly turned towards him and narrowed his eyes.

“Very funny,” he said after a minute. “You two decided to pull a joke... Hilarious, really,” he nodded.

“Des,” Gabriel said as quietly as before. “He really didn’t say anything.”

“Rayhe...” Desmond rolled his eyes.

“Desmond, am I lying to you right now?” Gabriel interrupted him, and he frowned.

“No,” he said slowly. “Oh, dammit...! That blast messed up my...”

“I had pancakes for breakfast,” Gabriel said, and Sam frowned at that.

Desmond stopped talking and stared at Gabriel without blinking.

“With orange juice,” Rayhe nodded.

“Rayhe...” Desmond said slowly.

“Yeah,” Gabriel nodded. “I lied. I only had coffee.”

“Rayhe...” Desmond said again, weaker this time.

“We are almost out of coffee, by the way,” Gabriel thought, and Desmond, without even realizing that Rayhe never opened his mouth, automatically muttered:

“We’ll get some on the way home...”

Then the realization hit him and he stopped talking.

“Holy hell...” he said finally and sat down on the bed.

My computer... It's ALIVE!!!
 
it's alive GIF
 
©Katya Dee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 4
  • Haha 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Desmond can already detect lies now he can know what others think too? He's too powerful  while here i am getting walked all over by people i call friends, this is unfair😔 

Also, yay to your computer working again! 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Kkh said:

He's too powerful  while here i am getting walked all over by people i call friends, this is unfair😔 

come here dr evil GIF

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

The power thing didn't take long to show up. Hearing people talking in your head all the time could get disconcerting.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
17 minutes ago, Kkh said:

Desmond can already detect lies now he can know what others think too? He's too powerful  while here i am getting walked all over by people i call friends, this is unfair😔 

Also, yay to your computer working again! 

Channel some Julian. It's always worked for me.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

The power thing didn't take long to show up. Hearing people talking in your head all the time could get disconcerting.

Nah, you get used to it fairly quickly. Just have to remember not to talk out loud in public places and... Oh, wait... You meant Desmond...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

I don’t understand this exchange:

“Desmond, am I lying to you right now?” Gabriel interrupted him, and he frowned. 

“No,” he said slowly. “Oh, dammit...! That blast messed up my...”

“I had pancakes for breakfast,” Gabriel said, and Sam frowned at that. 

Desmond stopped talking and stared at Gabriel without blinking. 

“With orange juice,” Rayhe nodded. 

“Rayhe...” Desmond said slowly. 

“Yeah,” Gabriel nodded. “I lied. I only had coffee.” 

“Rayhe...” Desmond said again, weaker this time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Geemeedee said:

I don’t understand this exchange:

At first, Desmond thought that Gabriel was playing along with Sam, trying to convince him that Sam didn't say anything. Desmond didn't realize that Gabriel wasn't lying (making stuff up for joke's sake). So when Gabriel asked, "Am I lying to you right now?" he realized that he didn't sense a lie, so he thought that the blast messed up his lie-detecting ability. Then he realized that his lie-detecting wasn't affected, so he started realizing that something wasn't right, and got a bad feeling about it.

PS. I re-read my answer & good God, I am bad with words today... I blame cinematography! /goes back to watching the movie 😐

Edited by Katya Dee
  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..