Jump to content
    Labrador
  • Author
  • 1,064 Words
  • 1,493 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Hugh's Pain - 8. Chapter 8

Short, but the next one is going to be a little difficult for me to write.

Hugh didn’t let it be known that he knew anything. He still didn’t know what had happened to Jonathan or who was responsible for his injuries. Deep inside, Hugh felt that Gary could be trusted… but there was still that little doubt. He kept his expression neutral as Gary continued.

“Jon and Jason were twins. They weren’t identical but I know they looked close enough that people used to joke about it when Jason came to visit. The boys would act it up too. I think they wanted to be brothers, at least Jason did. He used to talk about how much it sucked to be an only child. Looking back, I think that growing up here, his only light in life was you.”

The knife in Hugh’s heart managed to sink in deeper. He could feel the sharp edge twist as he thought again about how he’d left the café, left his best friend, in silence.

“Hugh, where did you go?”

“Home. I told you.”

“No. I mean afterward. I know you were here in town for a few months, but then, Jason said that you disappeared. As far as I know, you were gone until a week before Jason died.”

Hugh flinched. “How do you know that?”

“When Jason refused to come out west, Nathan hired some people to watch over him. I guess news got out that Jason was his, and the threats started to grow. From what I understand, a lot of them were directed toward Jason.”

“Why?”

“Not an easy question, Hugh.” Gary started to pick his coffee up, but seemed to change his mind and pushed the cup away. “At first, we figured it was because he was so far away from the rest of the family. But then, I saw one of the notes. The things, horrid, hateful things that were written there…. Somehow these people found out that Jason was gay. So now, not only was he convenient, but they could also vent their hatred on a living target.

“Jason didn’t like it but Nathan had a couple of his security guys move into the house after Jason’s parents split up and moved away. The house belonged solely to his mother and she put it into Jason’s name before she left. We all got the feeling that her husband, rather ex-husband wasn’t a very happy camper with the way things went for him. I guess he thought the house was in both names since it had been a wedding present to them from his brother.”

“Nathan.”

“Yeah. That’s why no one really questioned the boys looking so much alike. Jason’s dad and Nathan are twins, so sure, it made sense that they would.”

“Oh, man,” Hugh said as he shook his head. “And I thought my life was fucked up. I wish I’d known all this back then.”

Gary’s voice was quiet when he asked, “Would it have made a difference?”

Hugh sighed and gripped his mug hard. “I don’t know. I’d like to think….” He looked out the window and finally shook his head. “No, I don’t guess it would have. I was so afraid back then. Scared of losing my mom, afraid of disappointing my big brother… petrified of my father; I think I probably would have acted the same way. I was a coward.”

The sound of an engine drew Gary’s attention and he moved over to the outside door.

“Ellen’s here with the boys. Our conversation will have to be postponed for a while.”

Hugh got up and took his cup to the kitchen sink.

“I should be on my way then.”

“No. Why don’t you wait a minute and meet everyone. I’m sure Ellen will want you to stay for supper.”

Not when she finds out who I am, Hugh thought. But he waited with his butt perched back against the counter, forcing himself to relax.

The one in the door was Gary’s son. Hugh remembered him well from the diner. He watched as the boy pulled up short when he noticed Hugh in the kitchen. The other boy, Toby, bumped into him as he froze.

“Hey, what gives? Oh.” Toby moved around Gary’s son and pulled him away from the door so Ellen could get inside.

“You.” Hugh could hear the scorn in the boy’s voice and cocked his head in curiosity. Did this kid know him? He didn’t think so.

“Rick, don’t be rude.”

Hugh glanced over at the woman as she stood next to the table. The look in her eyes was indecipherable to him. It was neither warm nor cold. He couldn’t tell whether she was calm or angry. She just stood there, looking at him.

“Ellen,” Gary said and stepped in front of her, blocking her view. “I found Hugh this afternoon when I went to visit with Jason.”

She said something, but it was too quiet for Hugh to hear.

He switched his attention back to the boys. Rick looked furious while Toby stood calmly at his side with a hand resting gently but firmly on Rick’s shoulder.

“I’m guessing you know who I am,” Hugh stated.

Rick gave a sharp nod.

“Then you know how close you came to committing the same crime.”

“Crime?” Ellen’s voice screeched from behind Gary’s body. She pushed him away and glared between Hugh and Rick. “What crime?”

Rick’s gaze dropped to the floor as Hugh answered.

“The crime of abandonment.” He glanced at Gary and pushed away from the counter. “I think I’d better go.” He stopped Gary from responding with a raised hand. “No. Gary, I appreciate the talk, the way you’ve tried to understand, but there are demons out there that I need to face. And I need to face them alone.”

As he moved around the boys to leave, Hugh felt a feathery light touch on his arm. He glanced over into the shining, light blue eyes of young Toby.

“You’d have stopped him if his dad hadn’t.”

It was a statement, not a question. And the boy’s eyes showed his gratitude when Hugh nodded.

“You’re a lucky kid, Toby. But him…” Hugh gestured to Rick with his head. “He’s even luckier.”

He left the house that held so many good memories and started his walk back to the graveyard, back to his truck, and back to the pit he had called home.

Copyright © 2013 Labrador; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Chapter was too short!! Hugh has so much to deal with and all this new info filling his head. Hopefully in the long run it will help him understand and accept things and will help the you guys man back again his brothers. Only time will tell.

Link to comment

I thought knowing more would help me figure things out better, but I'm more lost. And it was too short. :,(

Link to comment

Happy to see another chapter, short but good, a lot of questions need to be answered which i hope in the next few chapters you do that. Hope you are feeling better and continue with this great story.

Link to comment

Demons, yes, -demons with baggage in tow.

 

I've liked this story from the outset, enjoying the mysterious nature of things as

they occur. It's becoming more complex, and you have a gift for setting a mood.

It's absorbing.

Link to comment

I kind of didn't understand why Rick was so pissed at Hugh. How did Rick even know who Hugh was or what he looked like? Did his parents talk about him and Jason?

 

We keep learning more and more about Jason's life. It's incredible what he went through.

 

I'm looking forward to hearing what Hugh is going to tell Jonathan. =)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..