Jump to content
    Labrador
  • Author
  • 1,266 Words
  • 1,831 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Hugh's Pain - 4. Chapter 4

Just looking down at Jonathan, Hugh didn’t see much change. It wasn’t until he took his place on the chair next to the bed and slipped his hand under Jonathan’s that he could tell Jonathon was no longer comatose.

He felt a small flinch in the hand he gently held and the beeps coming from the monitor sped as Jonathan’s heart rate grew faster.

“It’s okay,” Hugh whispered. You’re safe here. I won’t let anyone hurt you.”

Hugh caressed the skin of Jonathan’s arm and rubbed slow circles on the back of his hand while murmuring quiet words of comfort, until the sounds of Jonathan’s heart beat slowed. There was no movement in Jonathan’s face but Hugh took comfort in the fact that he seemed to relax.

Jonathan looked as though he’d gone back to sleep so Hugh turned his head away to find his brother.

“I thought he wouldn’t wake up today,” he said as Pat leaned against the far wall. “You said he needed to heal more before letting up on his medication.”

Pat nodded. “I did.”

“Then why?”

Pat shrugged. “I was looking over Beth’s notes and realized that this boy is a lot stronger than he looks.” He walked over to the opposite side of the bed and stared down at Jonathan. “Even in a drug induced sleep, his body looked like it was fighting to wake. So, I thought I’d give the choice to the patient.” Pat looked up from Jonathan to Hugh. “The drugs aren’t all out of his system, so I don’t expect him to be very alert. And he’ll probably go in and out. Then, there’s his pain level. I don’t want him fighting pain, so I’m not going to be stingy with those meds―at least not for a few days. After that, we’ll see how he’s coping.”

Hugh felt pressure on his hand and looked at Jonathan’s face, stifling a groan when he saw one eye opened halfway above a bruised cheek. He watched as the single eyelid closed then opened once again. Because of the swelling in Jonathan’s face, his other eye stayed shut. Hugh was grateful to whatever good source that was out in the world that Jonathan could even open one eye, even if it was glazed and only cracked halfway.

When Jonathan opened his mouth, Hugh put a finger over his lips.

“Shh, don’t try to talk right now.” He looked up at Pat. “Ice chips?”

Pat nodded and went to the small cooler. He returned with a cup filled with crushed ice and a spoon. “Only small bits at a time.”

Hugh took the cup and reluctantly let go of Jonathan’s hand. Half teaspoons at a time, he fed the ice, letting it rest a little on the swollen, cracked lips before slipping in to Jonathan’s dry mouth. After a while, Hugh felt the gaze of that one half cracked eye as it labored to study his face. He saw the question behind the murky green and sighed.

“I found you on the roadside.”

Hugh could plainly see the pain as it etched its way across the battered face when Jonathan gave a small nod. After setting the ice aside and taking Jonathan’s hand again, he rested his palm gently against Jonathan’s cheek and brushed his thumb beneath the eye that closed, releasing a single tear.

“Shh, it’s okay. Sleep now. Let your body heal. You’re safe here. You’re safe.”

He continued his whispered words of comfort and encouragement until he felt Jonathan’s hand go lax.

Pat came to stand behind Hugh and squeezed his shoulder.

“You’ve got the bedside gift, brother. I think he’ll sleep a while now.”

 

Hugh looked down at his sleeping nephew. Once Jonathan had drifted to sleep, he’d remained in that state. Pat had been confident that this sleep was more healing than the drug induced one as his body wasn’t fighting it, so Hugh returned to the little hurricane named Toby. The day had been mild so they’d spent most of it outside and by the time they’d sat at dinner, the storm had transformed to a still pond. Toby had almost fallen asleep in his spaghetti.

As Hugh watched the little boy slumber, small glimpses of his past surfaced in his memory. Times when he and Jason at four and five years of age had played hard and fallen asleep curled around each other on the playroom floor. Times when they were in middle school and had pitched a tent out in the back yard or slept in the open, under the starlit sky. They’d been almost inseparable, Jason and him against the imaginary unseen enemy.

But then, the enemy hadn’t been imaginary after all.

Hugh reached down and brushed the hair back from Toby’s forehead before kneeling and planting a kiss where the hair had been.

“Sleep tight, Toby,” he whispered.

At the end of the hall, Hugh contemplated going into the family room where he knew Pat and Jessica would be resting. The thought of relaxing in front of the open fireplace and visiting with his brother and sister-in-law gave him a warm feeling, but the draw to go back to Jonathan was stronger. Even though the boy still slept, Hugh wanted to be with him. He’d felt something in the way Jonathan had gripped his hand right before he’d let it go limp. Trust. Jonathan trusted Hugh to watch over him, to protect him and keep him safe. And Hugh would not fail. Not this time.

When Hugh was seated and slid his hand beneath Jonathan’s, he knew that he’d made the right decision when he felt a slight squeeze. Jonathan didn’t give any sign of waking other than that small movement, but Hugh knew that Jonathan was aware of his presence. Understanding that, and the thought that it was welcome, lifted a small part of the darkness that held sway in Hugh’s mind. His being there, just holding Jonathan’s hand, made a difference―a positive difference.

As Hugh sat, he looked around the small room. Something was different. There wasn’t the same amount of noise and it seemed to have more space. There were the same machines, the cooler and chairs, the beds; everything was the same as he remembered. But somehow the room wasn’t as claustrophobic as it had been before. Hugh began to realize that it wasn’t the room at all. It was him. He was beginning to open. He was beginning to let the light back in.

With that realization, Hugh bit back a sudden impulse to shut down. Part of him, a large part, wanted to run to his trailer and hide. If he opened up to the light, all of his dark secrets would be revealed. The mistakes of his life―judgments made, silences kept, words spoken―all of that and more would be placed in the forefront of his mind. He would have to face his demons and either fight to lay them down or give in to their call.

The hand Hugh held squeezed his fingers and Hugh blinked. He looked up from the clasped hands and into Jonathan’s face. A single green eye, still half shut, stared back at him. It wasn’t as glazed as it had been earlier, but it seemed to study him intently. Hugh was caught in that one eyed gaze and could hardly breathe as it bore into his soul.

The grip on his fingers relaxed, though Jonathan’s stare did not, and Hugh knew that he was waiting. Jonathan was waiting for him to speak.

“I knew your cousin.”

Thank you for reading.
Copyright © 2013 Labrador; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So happy to see this update. Thx! This story is very quietly intense. I love it. Hugh's pain comes thru very well without screaming in your face for all of the attention. I want to see everything not just where his hurt comes from. His brother, his nephew, the injured man, all of it is great! :)

Link to comment

I like this story, it tells so much with so few words. I'm looking forward to reading more of it. to peek more into Hugh's past as well as into Jonathon. I think maybe Hugh's brother might have a few insightful perks as well.

Link to comment
On 04/07/2013 01:03 AM, secretsides said:
So happy to see this update. Thx! This story is very quietly intense. I love it. Hugh's pain comes thru very well without screaming in your face for all of the attention. I want to see everything not just where his hurt comes from. His brother, his nephew, the injured man, all of it is great! :)
Thanks. I know it was a long time coming and I appreciate so much that you took the time to let me know you are enjoying it.
Link to comment
On 04/07/2013 03:07 AM, Daithi said:
I like this story, it tells so much with so few words. I'm looking forward to reading more of it. to peek more into Hugh's past as well as into Jonathon. I think maybe Hugh's brother might have a few insightful perks as well.
Thank you. You've let me know that I have accomplished some of what I try so hard to do. Get the readers to see without bombarding them with letters. I'll begin to delve into some of Hugh's past with the next chapter.
Link to comment

This was a sweet chapter. Hugh is very good with his nephew and he's being very nurturing with Jonathon.

 

I can't wait to find out more about him. :)

Link to comment

Calmly enforced suspense. That's what you have while waiting on a trauma patients

to wake up. There's so much you want to know, but you have to wait. Then when

they awaken, you can't be sure what you'll get. You always get anticipation.

 

At least Hugh has the little hurricane to lower the anxiety. The little things make all

the difference.

Link to comment
On 04/07/2013 09:40 AM, Stephen said:
Calmly enforced suspense. That's what you have while waiting on a trauma patients

to wake up. There's so much you want to know, but you have to wait. Then when

they awaken, you can't be sure what you'll get. You always get anticipation.

 

At least Hugh has the little hurricane to lower the anxiety. The little things make all

the difference.

I think we all need a little storm in our lives to distract us from time to time.
Link to comment

Such a sweet story. Hugh has pain in his heart and Jonathan on his body. But I suspect in his heart too.

It's going to be enjoyable (probably a little painful too) to see how these two get to know each other.

Thank you for such a good read

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..