Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Unspoken - 19. Port and Porposal

A glimpse into the future!

Bryce nursed the glass of port in his hands, still looking down, before finally lifting his head to look at us as we placed our own glasses aside.

“Proporrò.”

Nicolo fainted.

 

We were sitting on the couch sipping at port, as Bryce dropped his bombshell from the love seat. He had said he wanted to visit the weekend, without his dolce. It was unusual for him to visit alone, considering they both went to Juilliard, and thus had travel planning easy. But Bryce had insisted he come alone, and that he had news of great import to share. I am glad that both Nicolo and I had set our wine glasses down before Bryce shared his news, because mine would have dropped from my hand as Nicolo fainted, slumping dramatically to the floor. Port everywhere would have been a bitch to clean up.

It didn’t take long to slap him to wakefulness, at which point we gave Bryce a damn good hugging, before sitting back down. Nicolo was looking so very fucking proud, but I just signed ‘why?’ and leant back, picking up and sipping at my port. Bryce had brought it, we generally didn’t drink wine, but this was obviously a special occasion. I don’t know how he got it, being only 20, but I didn’t care; he’s always been more mature than his age would suggest, and he’s never made a serious mistake.

“Dad, you once told me that you had the epiphany that you wanted to marry papà when you realized you couldn’t imagine life without him. Papà, you said you realized you were going to propose when you thought of seeing another dawn without dad. I feel like that. I feel like I would die if I ever had to wake up knowing I’d not see that face. Just the… just the thought… fa male al cuore.”

Does P know how you feel?

Bryce shook his head laughing. “Of course dad. We’ve been saying ‘ti amo’ for two years now.“

“Sei ancora a scuola, Bryce, non pensi che sia troppo presto?”

“No, papà. Il matrimonio sarebbe dopo la laurea, ma non vedo l'ora di fare la proposta.”

We nodded, agreeing.

B, you’ve always had a good head on your shoulders, and even if we disagreed we wouldn’t stand in the way of love. We love P almost as much as you do. You fit each-other so well.

He nodded, “Yes. I wanted to tell you two in person, and I wanted to get your opinion on my idea.”

“Qual è il vostro piano?”

“I’ve made reservations for June for a romantic weekend at a cabin in the Adirondacks outside Lake Placid, and a hike to Wanika Falls. I want to propose at the bottom.”

Nicolo smiled “Circondati dalla natura.”

I agreed. ‘P will love it, loves anything to do with waterfalls. Romantic, quiet, beautiful.

“Perfezione.”

Have you got rings yet?

Bryce nodded, pulling two small boxes out of his pocket, handing them over. “I’ve been setting money aside since my first ballet.”

We each took one and opened them up to see. I stroked the bluish silver metal with a finger gentle as if it were fragile, even though I knew in my mind it wasn’t. A glint caught my eye, and I shifted the box to read the inscription on the inside of the ring.

AMORE INFINITE B & P

I leant over and peeked at the one Nicolo was examining, and gently shifted it so he could see the engraving as well. He looked up at Bryce, who smiled nervously. “Perfetti,” said Nicolo, and Bryce’s smile widened. ‘I agree. Perfect for you two. We love you, B. Bring P with us to the Bucello Christmas, we’ll buy a fourth ticket. You have our blessing.

I don’t think he really believed he wouldn’t really get it. They’ve been dating since they first kissed when they were fifteen, and Bryce has been over the moon for his dolce the whole time.

“Bryce, ti ricordi quando ci siamo conosciuti?” He nodded. “Da allora avete fatto molta strada e non potremmo essere più orgogliosi.”

Bryce stood, and he slid over to us, pulling us both into a happy teary hug. “Ti amo, padri, ti amo.”

Proporrò - I’m going to propose.
Fa male al cuore - it hurts the heart.
Sei ancora a scuola, Bryce, non pensi che sia troppo presto? - You’re still in school, Bryce, don’t you think it’s too soon?
No, papà. Il matrimonio sarebbe dopo la laurea, ma non vedo l'ora di fare la proposta. - No, dad. The wedding would be after we graduate, but I can’t wait to propose.
Qual è il vostro piano? - What’s your plan?
Circondati dalla natura - Surrounded by nature.
Perfezione - perfection.
Perfetti - They’re perfect.
Bryce, ti ricordi quando ci siamo conosciuti? Da allora avete fatto molta strada e non potremmo essere più orgogliosi - Bryce, do you remember when we first met? You've come a long way since then, and we couldn't be prouder.
Padri - dads
A chapter filled with mystery, a glimpse into the future! Who is P? Is P a man or a woman? What is Bryce studying at Juilliard? What is P studying at Juilliard?? So many questions!!
Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2021 Late to the party; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 10
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

My predictions:

P is a man.  Although this matters little to me.  That he is happy and in love is what matters.

Bryce is studying ballet.  It's how he made money to afford the rings.

P is studying music.

Alex and Nico will make kick-ass grandpas!

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..