Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Unspoken - 20. Festa di Compleanno

Hello again! Not so long a wait this time!
Enjoy!
Also, there are three songs referenced below, here are youtube videos for them:
 

It was a beautiful morning when I yawned myself awake, the morning light peeking through the curtains above our bed as birds chirped the new day through the cracked window.

I extricated myself from my Nicolo’s loose grip, fighting off his sleepy attempts to keep me close, sitting up and rubbing at my bleary eyes, trying to read the clock. Looked like it was a quarter to six. I had planned to set the alarm clock, but after shucking my shorts last night, wanting to sleep nude for once, Nicolo grabbed me and distracted me with his sinful mouth, and we passed out before I managed. I always felt lucky to be loved by him. Lucky to have him. Lucky that we were still together.

I smiled at the serendipity of waking up on time anyway, I had a herd of terror monkeys to feed this morning, plus Nicolo and myself.

I hurried through my morning shower and shave, grabbing a hair tie and a clean pair of shorts, and pulling them on, tying my hair as I walked down the upstairs hallway. A tune popped into my head, and I went back to the bedroom to grab my phone, before resuming my dancing gait to the kitchen.

I stepped carefully upon entering the large kitchen/living room open area, making my way to the cluster of sleeping bodies between the tv and the couches. The coffee table had been folded up and leant against the wall, and the Roku was scrolling its logo as a screensaver on the tv itself. Bryce’s 15th birthday was a couple days ago, and had asked if he could invite his friends for a pool party and a sleepover over the weekend. We didn’t even have to discuss it, we both approved immediately, and so we had invitations made up and sent out. Justin and Jamie – the half-identical twins who were Bryce’s first friends - of course were at the top, plus Kyle and Ethan, who had become fixtures around the place as Justin and James were, and others too. Peter, Alex, Brandon, and two girls Nicole and Melissa, who danced with Jamie and Bryce. All seemed to be over here more often than their own houses. Lastly, a newer friend, who had just moved to the area only two weeks ago named Parker. Parker had been put in the same history class as Bryce, and Bryce being Bryce, offered himself in friendship and insisted on inviting him too. Bryce had looked at my raised eyebrow, and just said “I know what it’s like to be new and have no friends.”

Such a great kid. We’re so proud. Parker’s parents had insisted on coming over and meeting us, which got the usual responses. They must have heard things on the neighborhood grapevine, as since making friends with Dave and Clara, whom we’d had over for dinner more than a few times over the years, we’ve been more involved in the place as rather than just where our home happens to be.

His desire for the party was pretty simple. A pool party followed by a three movie marathon sleepover. The thirty by fifty foot pool had just been finished being built only two weeks ago, and he hadn’t had a chance to try it out yet.

The pool party was amazing. Lots of noise, splashing, throwing, flipping, general boy mayhem with a couple girls thrown in. Nicolo and I manned the grill for lunch, shutting it down after eating to spend some time playing too. Everyone kept haranguing Nicolo for throws, and he obliged every time. It surprised both Nicolo and myself that all of Bryce’s male friends had worn speedos, as Peter was the only one there who swam competitively; apparently Bryce’s regular visits to the community pool, waterpark, and his popularity in the neighborhood and school have spawned a trend towards the more comfortable swimwear. Parker had shown up in board shorts though, and when he’d seen that he was the only guy not wearing a speedo, shyly asked if Bryce had an extra suit he could borrow. Bryce had no problem with this, of course, and led him inside and up to his room. He came back down looking nervous as all get out. I was shocked to see it was Bryce’s favorite pair, a hot pink Puma we’d gotten in Japan last year, sized up so it would fit Bryce this year. It took him a bit before he’d joined in on the horseplay, but nobody gave him any grief about it. It wasn’t long until Parker seemed like he’d been over here for years, joining in on Marco Polo, Sharks and Minnows, Dolphin tag, and even Chicken. Nicolo and I were the champs at Chicken, considering his size, and though only Parker wasn’t taller than me at this point, my muscle was more solid from years more exercise. Nicolo got called a cheater during Sharks and Minnows, as being the shark he could leap ridiculously far. We called a halt to the pool play when it got close to four, and everyone lounged around the pool to cool down and dry off, not bothering to change out of swimsuits. We went inside after a bit to start working on dinner.

I’d never had to prepare food for so many people before, but it was just as fun as when it was we three. Part of Bryce’s request had been making pizza, so using space on the island, we got everyone involved in working on the dough I’d made and set to rise earlier in the day. Normally I prepare enough for six pizzas about 12 inches across, and throw them in a Cambro in the fridge for a few days to let the flavor develop, but I wasn’t going to prepare enough dough for thirteen pizzas that far ahead. Everybody had a chance to sauce and top their own pizza, and Bryce had a blast being The Leader in showing everyone how to use the peel and stone to cook them all, and cut them with the mezza luna. It was a hell of a treat for them. After dinner Nicolo and I folded up the coffee table and threw blankets all over so they could have their movie marathon. Bryce had picked out The Princess Bride, A Knight’s Tale, and Detective Pikachu. I enjoyed all three, and thought they were decent choices. All three were on the same streaming service too. I had no idea if any of them had managed to stay awake for all three. We didn’t stick around after the first one, preferring to give them privacy, but I sure as hell wasn’t going to miss The Princess Bride.

I searched out Bryce in the array of bodies, limbs entangled, all still in their swimsuits, and gently shook him awake. He blinked his eyes clear, and stretched as he extricated himself carefully from the group. We moved to the kitchen area, and he helped me tidy up what was left of dishes in the kitchen, just plates from the pizza and glasses from beverages by this point. Figuring that pancakes and bacon would be as good a choice as any, so all the kids could top them as they wished. Bryce pulled out the giant bag of Krusteaz mix, as I pulled out my Griswold 12 and griddle. I started preheating the cast iron as Bryce started mixing the batter in the Kitchenaid.

After scooping some butter in the pans, I linked my phone to the bluetooth radio, and set up a short playlist. I usually just put on the radio, but today I had some songs in mind, that we could dance to.

My habit of dancing while cooking seemed to have rubbed off on Bryce, and he often enough sang along if he knew the songs as we danced and cooked together. Nicolo and I have tried telling him he had a nice voice, but it seemed that it hadn’t sunk in yet.

Enough pancakes and bacon for thirteen people would take some time, and Bryce and I danced around the kitchen making it all while pulling out plates, knives, and forks. The first song on the list was Rising by Elle Patrice. I made sure the volume wasn’t too loud, we didn’t want to wake up the guests before they were ready, but it was loud enough. Bryce started to sing along with her as we bobbed and bopped around.

 

I’m rising, rising above the clouds,

Nothin’ can keep me down,

I’m smilin’, knowin’ that better days,

Are just beyond the horizon

Risin’ don’t need no wings to fly

I’m usin’ the love inside

I’m tryin’, keepin’ the hope alive,

I’m goin higher and higher

 

It took longer to start building up a platter of both pancakes and bacon than I expected, and I thought to myself that I should have done the bacon first and kept it warm in the oven while using a second griddle to then do all the pancakes, but hindsight is 20/20. Nicolo stretched his way into the kitchen in shorts as well, and seeing the progress we were making, moved to shake the other kids awake to many yawns and stretched arms. By this time the song had moved to Caught Up with Mia Cox, and passed that by for Absolutely Not by Deborah Cox.

I loved Absolutely Not, as it really spoke to how I felt about not trying to change myself or do things different to make other people happy. Modesty still wasn’t one of my virtues, and I was lucky enough that I didn’t have to be flipping bacon or pancakes when the chorus to this song came on, and Bryce knew this one well. I didn’t care that all his friends saw us, and I don’t think he did either. I mimed movement to the words, hips swishing back and forth as I pranced to the beat.

 

Should I wear my hair in a ponytail

Should I dress myself up in Chanel

Do I measure me by what you think

Absolutely not absolutely not

If I go to work in a mini-skirt

Am I giving you the right to flirt

I won’t compromise my point of view

Absolutely not absolutely not

 

As we turned from dancing and singing to finish the current batch of pancakes and bacon, we heard laughing applause from everyone else. Peter and Kyle were rolling on the floor, and Ethan was leaning against the island trying to keep himself upright. Everyone else was giggling and laughing too, as Nicolo, smiling, managed to get the coffee table back in front of the couches so that could be used to eat as well. We had a dining room of course but that was far too formal, and there wasn’t enough space at the island.

As the volume fell to everyone getting and tucking in to the pancakes and bacon, Nicolo gave me a kiss, and whispered “sei un marrone, tesoro. Ti amo, Alex” before ruffling Bryce’s hair and tucking in himself. There was minimal conversation at the coffee table, but at the island Parker, Bryce, Peter, and Kyle were all clustered along one side, and they did chat between bites and chewing. I wasn’t overly hungry, so I brewed caffèlatte’s for myself and Nicolo after having just one pancake and a couple slices of bacon.

“Do they dance and sing every time they cook?” Parker asked.

“Yeah, it’s always fun here.” Kyle said.

“Jamie and I do ballet and dad takes barre class with me. He helps me stretch and pratica.” Bryce added.

“They’re always dancing and singing.” Said Peter. “They’re really good too.”

“G-grazie.” Blushed Bryce.

“Are you in the school chorus, Bryce?”

“Naw, Park, my voice isn’t troppo buono.” Bryce blushed.

“You should join Bryce. I’m going to when the new year starts, it was too late this year. It’d be nice to have a friend there, and your voice is better than you think…” Parker trailed off, his cheeks pinking a bit.

“Y-yeah?”

“We keep telling him that but he never listens,” Kyle shook his head.

“He doesn’t believe us.” Peter poked at Bryce with his fork. Bryce waved it away.

“Well, maybe I’ll audizione if you think I should, Park…” he was looking down at his plate, cheeks still pinked, and we could see he was glancing sideways at Parker.

“You really should-“ “-you have a great voice Bry we’ve-“ “-been telling you that forever!” Jamie and Justin piped up from the coffee table. Alex was always quiet, which we all found somewhat amusing, right up until the subject of anime came up. He and Bryce could chatter about that for hours, and he idolized Nicolo.

I glanced at Nicolo across the island, but he was watching the exchange, sipping at his coffee.

“So are you gonna join?” Parker asked again.

“Sì, okay. As long as it doesn’t get in the way of ballet. I wanna be The Rat King in The Nutcracker next stagione. Miss Ducasse thinks I should try, she says I’d have a really good chance. Dad has been helping me pratica for the role.”

“When does the season start?” Alex piped up, surprisingly.

“The performances start in September but auditions and practice start over the summer.” Jamie answered. “I’m going to try for a couple of the smaller roles. Most people in ballets do multiple roles.”

“We’re all going for roles in the same group.” Said Nicole.

“Well we wanna come see!” Peter jumped in.

“Yeah!” Kyle nodded.

“D-davvero??” Bryce asked, surprised.

“Well yeah. We all go to see Justin’s soccer games, and y’all come to see me swim, and we go to your recitals, why wouldn’t we come to watch?”

“Thanks guys, but we haven’t even auditioned yet!”

“Oh cummon!” Melissa piped up. “There’s no way you won’t get it. You’re the best in the class, Miss Ducasse always says so, and everyone agrees you’re a natural. Of course you’ll get it.”

“Well I dunno I bet there’ll be molte persone who want it, ma farò del mio meglio.”

Out of the corner of my eye I saw that Parker looked like he was going to say something, but swallowed it before he did, blushing again.

“Hey, are you still going to Japan in June?” Alex asked excitedly. After the first convention Nicolo was sent to the June two years ago, he’d been invited back again last year and this year, and since we’d had enough warning, we planned to go as a family again. I think he was warming up to the idea of conventions. Maybe he’d consider caving and attending an American one eventually, which he’d always staunchly avoided.

“Sì,” Bryce answered, swiveling in his seat.

“Could you maybe see if you can keep an eye out for a couple things for me?” pleaded Alex.

“Yeah ne pro.”

“Ne pro??” Parker was looking at Bryce quizzically.

“Oh yeah. Nessun problema is Italiano for no problem.”

“You speak a lot of Italian.” It wasn’t a question, but there was a hint of awe to Parker’s voice. Nicolo snickered to himself, unheeded by the rest.

“Yeah, you should hear it when-“ “-they get going. Bryce and-“ “-Mr Nicolo will chatter-“ “-for hours and only Mr-“ “-Alex can understand them.”

“Sì,” Bryce exclaimed, “we don’t even speak English anymore when there’s no one else in the house. Papà started teaching me Italiano in bits dopo l'adozione, but I had to learn Sign first so dad could talk to me.” He looked over at me fondly and Parker just smiled.

Nicolo and I shared a quick look, and I raised an eyebrow at him. He winked back at me. I think Parker was sweet on Bryce, he seemed to be hanging on his every word. Bryce seemed to be just as sweet on Parker, to give in to his request to try for the chorus so fast.

I signed ‘I think our B has a crush,’ which Bryce caught out of the corner of his eye.

‘D-dad!’ He squeaked.

“Penso che tu abbia ragione, bello!”

“P-papa!!”

“Vuoi fare una lunga doccia, vero?“

“Papà, fermateviiiii!”

“What?” Kyle asked, head swiveling between Nicolo and myself.

“What’d they say Bry?” Peter poked Bryce with his fork again.

“N-nothing!” Bryce waved the utensil away, blushing hard and looked down at his plate so hard I almost worried his gaze would shatter it. I laughed silently to myself. Nicolo wasn’t quite so quiet, but he cut it off when Bryce glared at him.

The conversation tapered off then as everyone focused more on stuffing their faces, which admittedly didn’t take long. Bryce and I tried to gather dishes, but after Parker insisted on taking his to the dishwasher himself everyone followed suit.

it was nearing time for everyone to head home, so the girls grabbed their clothes to put them on over their swimsuits, the boys just throwing on shirts, but Parker grabbed his shorts to go change in the bathroom.

Eventually everyone started heading out, giving Bryce a hug, thanking him for the pool party, and Bryce thanked them for coming. Parker was the last to leave, and he held out the pink speedo for Bryce to take.

”Here, Bryce. Thanks for letting me borrow it.”

”You keep it.” Bryce said. I turned to them, wide-eyed. They were looking each-other dead in the eyes, seemingly oblivious to myself and Nicolo, still sat at the island with me, both of us sipping at a second caffèlatte I’d made for us.

”But it’s yours!”

”Yeah, but it l-looks good on you. You can wear it with us to the waterpark, or come over here to swim.”

”Okay, thanks! Thanks for inviting me, it was really really fun.” He gave Bryce a quick hug, and headed out the door before Bryce could say another word.

Bryce just stood there a moment, before robotically walking back to the island, sitting on the same stool he was before. His gaze was far off, before he let out a sigh, blushed, and smiled.

He looked at each of us, and smiled. “Grazie mille per la festa, padri.”

“Il nostro piacere. Ti amiamo, Bryce.”

I like Parker. He’s nice.’

”Sì, piace anche a me...” Bryce sighed, smiling.


 

 

Sei un marrone, tesoro - You’re a nut, sweetheart; marrone is lit chestnut.
Pratica - practice
Troppo buono - very good
Audizione - audition
Stagione - season
Davvero? - really?
Ma farò del mio meglio - I’ll try my best
Molte persone - many people
Dopo l'adozione - after adoption
Penso che tu abbia ragione - I think you are right
Vuoi fare una lunga doccia, vero - You want to take a long shower, don't you
Fermatevi - stop
Grazie mille per la festa, padri - Thanks for the party, dads
Il nostro piacere - It was out pleasure
Piace anche a me - I like him too
Some new Italian, some of it obvious but I try to be thorough!
Bryce is such a sweetheart, isn’t he?


Copyright © 2021 Late to the party; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

P is a boy!  And he is a singer.  Great chapter.  In 4 years he has gone from a shy, withdrawn, sad little boy to an outgoing, popular, happy young man.  All because of his wonderful dads.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 11/21/2022 at 7:12 PM, drsawzall said:

The Princess Bride is an all time classic!!!

"Have fun storming the castle!!

“Go away or I’ll call the brute squad!”

”I’m on the brute squad.”

”You ARE the brute squad!”

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..