Jump to content
    layla
  • Author
  • 263 Words
  • 816 Views
  • 9 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Until The End - 1. Chapter 1

Sometimes it’s the first few notes

of a piano played with nimble fingers

ivory keys that shatter the calm

of a lonely drive on a winter’s day

the sky dark while I rage and pound the steering wheel

remembering the moment they told me

that you were gone.

 

Sometimes it’s the first few cords

Wrung with heartrending beauty

from a black and silver guitar

like the one that you used to play

while I lay beside you

lost in a place only we could know

wishing the whole world would fade away

 

and sometimes it’s a whisper

on a night that’s dark and long

while I watch the shadows play along the wall

and listen to the wind carry your voice

from a lifetime away.

Who could have known there’d be no goodbyes

when we promised each other forever?

 

Tear stained anniversaries

and a million regrets,

a hundred questions,

a billion what ifs,

and a single image

of a mocking grave.

 

They could bury your body

but I’ve seen your soul in a hundred highway signs,

forests littered with fallen leaves,

neon city nights,

and ocean waves;

like you're still out their surfing,

and laughing,

and showing off.

 

How can you be gone

when I still see you in the shadows

of every room you used to walk?

How can I forget that I was yours

long before I was anything else that mattered?

If a whisper in the night could bring you back

then I’d listen for every whisper

until the end.

@2013 Layla Dorine
  • Like 7
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is really powerful. Really expresses the true emotion of losing someone, and all of the different aspects of coping that loss. I really enjoy the parts about seeing him surfing, seeing him in the shadows, etc. because it makes it feel as though the reader is really going through the motions of losing someone, and being trapped in all their memories. Great!

Link to comment

Layla that is chilling. The vampires and all that you wanted could not have held a candle to what you ended up crafting. This piece so clearly shows the loss and the pain of waiting for a word, smile, or scent that will never come again.

Link to comment

Strong emotions hinted and accentuated with the music of the soul

 

Thank you :)

Link to comment

Wow

Layla you have a real ability to tug at the heartstrings. That was really emotional, moving, and a tear jerker.

Poetry always stirs up so many thoughts and feelings within me, I tend to stay away from it. But there are some dark, tough poems that make sense to those with a heavy heart, render comfort to the downhearted, and speak to those that feel lost and alone with their feelings.

Poetry seems to have a way of letting us know that it is ok to feel these things, gives us a way for people to express the thoughts and feelings that we don't want to say, or are too shy to share.

This is one such occasion for me. Thank you.

Link to comment

Layla this was absolutely beautiful. I felt transported through the different times, the surfing, the drives, the rooms filled with darkness and guitar music, and the ending was really heart-wrenching. I felt that you really did a fine job of building up the desperation in this piece in each succeeding verse, with the protagonist almost seemingly going crazy in the end, blinded by all the memories of the lost significant other.

 

What a stunning variant on the theme.

Link to comment

Beautiful. Provoked my emotions. I felt the loss with each word and saw the pain with each sentence. Thanks for sharing:)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..