Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 5,568 Words
  • 4,626 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Assassin - 13. Chapter 13

Raja Securities caved under the world’s scrutiny. The glossy cover constructed by Seiko Raja to gain investment and a steady run of security jobs cracked the moment the law turned a critical eye. A raid at the Tokyo Raja Securities offices yielded enough evidence to get the top management arrested.

Investors, realizing the impact association with the company would have, pulled out.

The great collapse took minutes.

Or from the moment, Kian left the Operations Center in the company of six guards, to the minute they reached the main exit and stepped into the open air. Alarms filled the compound, rapid and incessant. The chaos sent general staff running out of the building in escape, cars speeding out of the compound.

Kian used the confusion to escape the clutches of his guards and headed to the closest armory.

The problem with having a corrupt core, once the soft top flaked away, the rot oozed out and the dirty work started. Clean up would fall to him, as the most seasoned assassins in the roaster would not forgive him for the betrayal.

Taking a pair of guns from the rack, Kian focused on arming himself and devising the easiest way to get Taewon out of this compound.

The lock hissed, and Kian loaded the gun he held and pointed. He shot the two men who walked in without hesitation, and continued getting ammunition.

***

“How many left?” Seiko asked Yui who had come running into his house in panic after all auxiliary Raja Securities staff deserted.

“Twenty operatives. The fifteen at the Tokyo Offices are low level. They ran most of the executive operations,” Yui said. “I recalled the twenty after the incident at The Hague. What now?”

“Where is Kian?” Seiko asked.

“He fought off his guards and went on a rampage. “I lost track of him near the armory,” Yui said, sitting on a stool. “I’m the one who let him into operations. I never imagined—

“No need to talk about his betrayal,” Seiko cut her off. “I’m beyond disappointment.”

“We don’t have operatives that can take him out,” Yui complained.

“And the bastard who caused this betrayal?” Seiko asked, stopping to glare at her. “Where is Kim Taewon?”

“Still in his cell, at the bunker.”

Seiko cursed.

“Have them secure Taewon.”

“Yes sir,” Yui got up and hurried out of Seiko’s living room.

***

A man possessed by the singular need to destroy, Kian walked through the buildings in the compound setting C4 bombs, and fighting off any operative who dared come at him. This place, he would end it if it meant blowing himself with it. Raja Securities, and all things Raja, all his grandfather had put together, of it, he wanted it gone. Obliterated. Kian stuck the last bomb in his bag on glass doors as he exited the Operations Center building.

He paused, seeing three men race toward the bunker where Taewon was. Setting the timer on the bomb, Kian raced toward the bunker. He caught up with them outside the heavy doors into the building. Three men, trained as intensely as he was, they gave as good as they got. Twice, Kian found himself on the ground, out of breath, with three men determined to stab him to death.

It was pure luck that he had tucked a gun into the small of his back. Taking it out, he shot off three bullets, managing to take down his opponents, but not before one cut him good on his upper right arm. Pushing them off him, Kian sighed and sat up, inspecting his arm.

“Bastards.” Kian cursed, standing up.

Walking up to the door, he spent a few minutes reprogramming the lock. Taewon would be safe until he came back to open the doors. The bunker doors were not easy to open without a cannon.

Kian stood with his hands on the steel doors, head down at the thought of Taewon alone inside.

“Taewon, just a little longer,” Kian murmured, patting the doors, his gaze shifting to look at the huge house he called a childhood home a distance away.

Kian worked his way to the main house. The great house where his grandfather had taught him how to survive without love. How to live without people, and that the cold could bring comfort. He fought off every man who dared stop him. When his ammunition ran out, he used his fists. At the front door, he picked up the large flowerpot he had watched Alora fill with flowers in his sixteenth year and threw the heavy earthenware on the wooden door. It caved in and he kicked it the rest of the way, until it broke open.

“I’ll shoot,” was Yui’s greeting when he stood at the entrance.

She stood before his grandfather, holding a gun, still in her red dress and sharp heels. Her hair a mess around her. So this is where she had run to hide.

A small part of him had hoped she would get into her car and drive away from this darned mess. Instead, here she stood trying to protect Seiko Raja.

What a fool.

“You’re not my goal,” Kian said in answer to her threat.

She hissed in anger and pulled the trigger. The pain on his right side was unexpected, he hadn’t thought she would pull the trigger. Biting back the pain, Kian lifted his shirt and sighed when he saw the damage. The bullet had gone through, he was lucky Yui was a bad shot, she hadn't hit any vital organs, still the pain was a bitch.

Kian looked up and froze when he saw his grandfather behind Yui. He closed his eyes when a sharp sword pierced through Yui’s left chest, and she gasped, her hands dropping to her side. When Kian glanced at her again, the sword was out and Yui was on the ground, gasping for air.

Seiko stood over her, a blank expression on his face.

“She was protecting you,” Kian felt the need to point out.

“She overstepped when she shot you. I don’t need protecting from the likes of her,” Seiko answered with a sigh, stepping over Yui. “Will you stand at the door, or come in to the house, Kian?”

“Raja Securities is finished,” Kian said, not moving.

He had no weapon on him, and his grandfather could wield a sword like a samurai. Stepping in closer would place him at a disadvantage.

“Did you kill the men I sent to secure Taewon?” Seiko asked, wiping Yui’s blood off his sword with his handkerchief.

“Taewon has nothing to do with us. This is between you and me.”

“You have allowed an outsider to tear down what I build.”

“That outsider is a victim. He has survived Raja Securities and me. Leave him out of this. You build an empire on death and blood,” Kian scoffed. “Did you want me to be happy about it?”

“You ungrateful child.”

“Yes, we can agree that I’m ungrateful.” Kian nodded. “What now? Do we fight to the death? Is that the only way for me to be free of you?”

Seiko stared at him.

“Do you honestly think I’ll let you walk away from here?” Seiko asked after a while.

Kian studied his grandfather, and then sighed.

“You trained a six-year-old to shoot arrows until his fingers were covered in his own blood. Why would I be crazy enough to think you’d let me live a happy life away you?”

“I made you, Kian.”

“Yes, you did,” Kian said, reaching into his back pocket.

He pulled out a small black detonator. Waving it in the air, he pressed the button and met his grandfather’s gaze as the bombs he set in every building around the bunker went up in flames. The rage in his grandfather’s gaze was expected.

How fast his grandfather moved for his age more surprising. It took experience to ward off a sharp sword determined to cut him in half.

Kian stopped his grandfather’s blade a second away from his neck with a knife from his boot. His grandfather’s strength terrified him, but he was determined to keep his head on his shoulders, at least long enough to take his grandfather along with him.

***

“How much longer?” Daven asked, adjusting the earmuffs over his head.

They were in a helicopter headed toward Mount Asahi. Daven sat next to Lina, and across from Winston. Two men in dark uniforms sat to Winston’s left.

“Two minutes out, Sir,” one of those men answered with a clipped tone. “We have reports of gunfire. Our teams are working on securing the compound.”

Lina gripped Daven’s left arm and he tried not to give in to the anxiety plaguing his every breath. The helicopter lowered in a green field, the mountain an intimidating background. Daven helped Lina down, and led her away from the helicopter’s blades. They both gasped when they came to a stop at the top of a slight slope.

A gorgeous valley stretched below, with a river winding through the scene. In the middle of this valley, there was a compound, surrounded by a tall wall. Smoke filled the air above the compound, buildings crumbling from fire. Consecutive loud explosion filled the morning, and Daven let go of Lina, determined to get to the compound.

“Doctor!” one of the men in black started to stop him but Daven pushed him off.

“Have your men follow him.” Daven heard Winston say, as he ran down to the compound. He couldn’t think of anything else but getting to Kian.

A team of four met him at the entrance into the compound. They handed him a bullet proof vest, which he wore with impatient jerks. Daven followed the four men into the smoke-filled air. Experience had taught him to always follow the team leader’s orders, otherwise a slight deviation could lead to someone getting hurt. They made their way through the extensive buildings in the compound moving with caution.

Daven couldn’t stop himself from checking every man they passed; terrified that he would see Kian’s face.

“There’s a team ahead, outside what they’re calling the main house,” the Team Leader said. “There are two targets. We’re tasked with visual identification. Doctor, hang back—

“I’m coming with you,” Daven cut in, sure that it was Kian ahead. “I’ll help with identification.”

“It’s dangerous,” the Team Leader stated.

“Everything about that man is dangerous,” Daven said under his breath. “He’s really not going to give me a break and come with me quietly. I have to go to him. Let’s not waste time.”

The run toward the main house was nerve wrecking. They came up onto an open lawn, trimmed to perfection with neat grass and abundant flowers. Daven stopped at the sight of Kian fighting off an older man with a sword in the middle of this garden.

His boyfriend, the man he dared love deflected a blade that glinted in the sun. The clanking swords maddening, the two moving in a deadly dance.

Daven started forward, unsure what he should do to stop it, but strong arms dragged him back. When he started to fight off the men holding him, they pinned him to the ground.

“That’s Kian,” Daven said, gripping the arms holding him down to the ground. “Kian Raja, don’t hurt him.”

“We need to find out how many there are around before anything can be decided,” the Team Leader said, already moving away.

Daven stopped fighting the man holding him down. His gaze seeking Kian out. His heart in his throat, when Kian fell on his back, and the older man jumped over him, his sword sailing high, ready to cut into Kian.

Daven shouted, inhuman strength filling him, enough to push off the seasoned solider holding him down. He got to his feet and raced toward Kian. He reached Kian just as the older man standing over Kian fell back.

“Kian,” Daven called, racing to Kian’s side. “Kian. Kian! Oh God, be okay, be alive.”

Gripping Kian’s shoulders, Daven leaned over him, painful relief flooding him when he met Kian’s shocked gaze. Daven touched Kian’s bloody face, touching Kian’s lips. There was blood everywhere.

“You idiot,” Daven said, his fingers trembling when he saw a wound on Kian’s head. “You idiot, how dare you leave me when I asked you not to. Why are you so hurt?”

Kian took in a painful breath, shifting his head to look at the man lying a few feet away.

“Daven—

“You’re hurt,” Daven said, ignoring Kian’s attempts to sit up. “Cuts on your arms and your shoulder, and there’s blood on your right side.”

Daven pulled up Kian’s t-shirt and winced when he saw the bullet wound.

“It went through, missed vital organs. Did you take this one deliberately? I thought you said you could dodge them. Why didn’t you?”

“Daven,” Kian reached up to cup Daven’s jaw, his mouth filled with blood. “Help me up. I’m not done.”

“What’s not done?” Daven looked around then, aware of the team members surrounding them.

He helped Kian sit up and Daven sighed when Kian pushed up to his knees despite his pain and crawled to the man lying on the ground. Daven moved with him, worried about the blood on Kian’s t-shirt. The old man was dead, thanks to a bullet straight to the head. Kian knelt on the grass, his gaze hard as he took in the dead man.

Kian reached out to touch the old man’s neck, and Daven realized that Kian was looking for a pulse. Daven helped, checking the man’s wrist.

“He’s gone,” Daven said. “Who is he?”

Kian sat back on his heels at Daven’s words.

“My grandfather, Seiko Raja,” Kian said.

Kian took in a deep breath and stared up at the sky. Closing his eyes, he let out a short breath, the tension in his shoulders easing away.

Daven dragged his gaze away from a bloody Kian to the old man. This man had made Kian, he thought in surprise. The man who had tried to kill Kian…was his grandfather. What a terrible thing to live with.

“Help me up,” Kian said, turning to Daven. “We still need to help Taewon.”

Eager to get away from the dead Seiko Raja, Daven got to his feet, then following Kian’s direction, they headed to a concrete bunker that seemed untouched. Kian provided the codes to enter the building. When they were inside, Daven supported Kian as the tactical team worked on unlocking the cell doors.

Taewon hurried out of his cell running to Kian and Daven.

Kian looked at Taewon with a small smile.

“I promised I would get you out of here, didn’t I? You’re free, Taewon,” Kian said, sounding tired. “I made sure there is no more Raja Securities to fear. You’re…free…to—

Kian’s weight got heavier to support, and Daven tightened his hold around Kian. Kian started to slip down to the floor and Taewon moved to help.

“Let’s lay him down,” Daven urged Taewon.

“Kian?” Taewon cupped Kian’s jaw. “He’s passed out. There is too much blood covering his clothes. Why did they need to hurt this bad? Is he going to be okay?”

“He will be,” Daven said with cold determination. “We’re not losing him so easily.”

***

Daven worked like a man possessed to save Kian. He paid no mind to Winston and the team of investigators who descended on the compound. He patched up Kian as best as he could to stop excessive bleeding. When Kian was stable, Daven had him moved to a nearby hospital for surgery.

A week later, Daven checked the IV line going into Kian’s left arm, adjusted the flow, and tucked Kian’s arm under the blankets. Pressing his palm to Kian’s forehead to check his temperature, Daven was happy not to feel excessive heat.

Brushing strands of hair away from Kian’s forehead, he leaned down and pressed a soft kiss on cool skin. He straightened up and met Winston’s gaze. They were in a private jet headed to the States courtesy of Winston’s endless contacts. Lina and Taewon were in the lounge, discussing a future they now had thanks to Kian.

Daven envied them slightly. He wished Kian would open his eyes, if only just to scowl at him.

“There is no record of Kim Taewon, or Lina,” Winston said, pulling him out of his thoughts. “Those two out there are ghosts. The fact they’ve turned into an endless resource on Raja Securities is the only reason I’m able to help. They don’t exist otherwise.”

Daven sat on a chair beside the bed, holding Kian’s right hand.

“Your man there is the brightest ghost of all. His grandfather clearly owned Raja Securities, but there is no record of Kian Raja.” Winston sighed. “I feel as though he worked to erase his identity as well as Taewon’s to keep them off the books. Do you trust him?”

“He never lied to me.” Daven thought about their last day in Amsterdam and smiled. “Well, maybe just once. When he told me, he’d tell me about his father. I’m quite sure he was putting me on because he didn’t want me to know he was heading into danger.”

“Hmm…” Winston said. “The best thing about this bizarre case is that Musimbi is now in custody. Your village at the oasis is safe. Security teams were deployed to the area to capture lingering militia and Raja Securities is a skeleton.”

Daven nodded, his gaze on Kian’s bruised fingers. Kian’s distraction at the compound and on the company’s servers had left Raja Securities flailing.

“What about Kian? Are you going to arrest him?” Daven asked.

“No,” Winston said, making Daven glance at him. Winston smiled. “How can I arrest a man who doesn’t exist?”

Daven felt hope start. “Are you serious?”

“Yes,” Winston said with a sigh. “Besides, I have a vested interest in keeping Kian by your side. He might keep you from trouble.”

Daven grinned, his fingers tightening slightly over Kian’s, he lifted Kian’s right hand to his lips.

“We’ll keep each other out of trouble,” Daven said.

Winston stood.

“I better get started on clearing the lot of you through customs. You’ll owe me for this one, Daven.”

“I’ll let you collect at a later date,” Daven promised, his gaze never leaving Kian.

***

Daven leaned on the doorjamb watching Taewon shave Kian. Taewon had come in earlier, forcing him out to take a shower and get something to eat. Daven hadn’t realized how much he had neglected himself since they arrived at his loft in New York.

“You’ve been asleep for three weeks,” Taewon said, his tone light and conversational. “Your Doctor keeps tireless watch over you. Won’t let anyone take care of you. Had to entice him with apple pie to get him downstairs to the kitchen.”

Daven smiled. The apple pie baked by Lina was good. He had eaten a large piece, and downed it with the coffee Kian loved.

“You were right,” Taewon continued, oblivious to Daven’s presence as his back was to the door. “Daven is a good man. Not like you or me, with our warped backgrounds and rotten family ties.”

Daven stared at the floor.

Had Kian called him a good man?

Kian’s eyes remained closed on the bed. The neurologist referred to Daven said Kian was in a coma, because of the hit to the head he’d taken. The doctor was positive Kian would wake up still Daven worried because three weeks was too long.

“Kian.”

Taewon’s somber voice drew Daven’s gaze back to the large bed by the windows. Taewon had finished shaving Kian, and wiped his face clean.

Taewon now sat on the edge of the bed, staring at Kian. Daven froze when Taewon leaned over and pressed his lips to Kian’s. A soft caressing kiss that sent annoyance and jealousy through Daven, but still he forced himself to remain standing by the door.

“I love you, always will,” Taewon said, his voice broken. “I’ve been angry with you since you showed up in Paris with another man. But I see now what I didn’t then. I woke you up, pulled you out from under your grandfather, but he—

Taewon broke off and turned his head to the windows, and the afternoon sun streaming in.

“He gave you acceptance the way I couldn’t. You are what you are, Kian. I always wanted to change you, stop you from being what you are, but the Doctor didn’t try. He accepts it, somehow.”

Taewon scoffed, and wiped tears off his cheeks.

“In the end, I lost to him,” Taewon said, looking down at Kian. “Well…, I stole the kiss you said I could. You won’t remember it. I don’t want you to, because a small part of me still wants you to think of me with regret.”

Taewon sighed and shook his head.

“Yes, I know. I’m petty, and childish, that won’t change. I won’t thank you for giving my life back. When you wake up, Lina and I will be gone. I’m taking her away on a trip. I’ll give her all this love I have inside me, and see where it takes us. Hopefully, one day, you’ll come find us with a smile on your face.”

Kian remained still, missing Taewon’s confessions. Daven looked away when Taewon laid his head on Kian’s chest.

“You insane jerk,” Taewon cursed under his breath. “You crazy bastard, don’t sleep away and leave the good doctor pining away for you. That’s too cruel, even by your standards, Assassin. You big jerk, with your secret soft heart, I’m going to miss you.”

Daven left the room when Taewon started to cry in earnest. The pain in Taewon’s sobs enough to let Daven know that Taewon was letting Kian go, and it hurt. He didn’t need to witness the process, so he went downstairs to the kitchen to get another cup of coffee.

In the process of putting sugar into his mug, he dropped a napkin and bent down to pick it up. The chain around his neck swung out of his collar and he paused. His hand captured the silver cube hanging on the chain, and he straightened up.

Kian had placed the chain around his neck. That last night in Amsterdam, when Kian had drugged him.

“Take what’s on this chain to your father. He will know what to do.”

Daven removed the chain from around his neck and studied the small cube.

Forgetting the coffee, Daven reached for his cell phone and dialed his father’s direct line. His call was answered on the second ring.

“Why have you been hiding?” Killian asked in greeting. “Your mother is worried sick.”

“Dad,” Daven started.

“Your people at the MSF said you would be in New York, but I came by your loft these past weeks, and you weren’t in.”

“Can we meet?” Daven asked.

He couldn’t leave the loft, but maybe—

“Please will you come to the loft?”

Killian kept silent for a moment, then answered, “I’ll be there in the next thirty minutes.”

“And Dad,” Daven said, coming out of the kitchen to look up to the second-floor guestroom where Kian slept.

“Yes, Daven.”

“There’s someone I want you to meet,” Daven said.

“I’m on the way, son.”

Killian ended the call first and Daven clutched the silver cube Kian entrusted to him.

He was sitting at the kitchen table when Taewon walked into the kitchen. Daven sipped his coffee watching Taewon wash his hands at the sink, then reach for a coffee mug. Taewon took his coffee and chose a chair directly across Daven.

Daven stared into his coffee, unsure what to say to Taewon.

In truth, had Kian made the decision to stay with Taewon, Daven would never have met Kian. Yet, Daven had only met Kian because of Taewon.

“I’m leaving,” Taewon said, making Daven look up.

Taewon stared out the windows, his chin resting on his palm. He looked calm, more composed than when he had been talking to Kian.

“Won’t you wait for Kian to wake up?” Daven asked.

Taewon glanced at him. “Are you unsure about him?”

“Huh?”

“Kian, are you unsure about him?” Taewon asked, glaring at him.

“No.” Daven smiled. “I love him.”

“Then don’t ask me to wait,” Taewon said, shadows in his eyes. “If you had hesitated in your answer, you would have given me an opening. I don’t want one, Daven. Kian loves you. I have to find a way to move on.”

“What do I tell him when he wakes up? He’ll want to see you.”

Taewon sighed and stared into his coffee.

“Tell him….” Taewon met Daven’s gaze. “Tell him I now understand why he didn’t come find me.”

Daven nodded, and they sat in silence simply drinking coffee until the doorbell rang.

Daven got up to go open the door for his father. When he came back to the kitchen, wanting to introduce Taewon to his father, the kitchen was empty.

“Daven, someone in the kitchen?” Killian asked, behind him.

Daven stared at his mug still on the table, Taewon’s was gone.

“I guess not,” Daven said. “Let’s go upstairs, Dad.”

“This person you want me to meet is upstairs?”

“Yes,” Daven said, a little nervous as he led the way to the second floor. “His name is Kian. He is—

Daven paused outside the guestroom bedroom, then met his father’s gaze.

“He is my boyfriend.”

Killian nodded, and urged him to open the door. They entered the bedroom, to find Taewon had left Kian reclined up, wrapped in a heavy white sweater, his hair combed back. With the sunlight coming in, Kian looked handsome, and with his eyes closed he could be taking a nap. Daven pressed a soft kiss on Kian’s forehead, and adjusted the covers around Kian.

Killian moved to the foot of the bed, and stood with his hands in his pockets.

“Is he the reason I couldn’t reach you for weeks?” Killian asked.

Daven pulled up the guest chair, and sat down, holding Kian’s right hand.

“Yes,” Daven nodded. “He is someone I want to protect as he has protected me.”

Killian studied him, then looked at Kian. Daven clutched Kian’s hand tight, waiting.

Killian looked around the room, moved to get a stool from the corner of the room and came to sit facing both Daven and Kian.

“Okay, tell me,” Killian said. “I’ll listen.”

***

Talking to his father had always been easy. Daven felt purged when he finished telling his father about his adventures with Kian. His heart felt lighter, and suddenly all he wanted was for Kian to wake up and look at him. They had made it through the worst. Now all he needed was for Kian to get better.

“Your boyfriend gets more intriguing the more I hear about him. How did he know about me?”

“I don’t know,” Daven said, thinking he’d never thought to ask. Kian had known so much about him already. “Three weeks ago, he helped break the Musimbi case open and with Winston’s help, I got him out of a Raja Securities compound in Japan. I think it was where he grew up. His grandfather did this to him.”

Daven got the small silver cube out of his pocket and held it out to his father.

“Before he left me in Amsterdam, he asked me to give you this. Do you know what it is?” Daven asked, watching his father study the silver cube.

Killian held up the small cube, his gaze then moving to Kian.

“Is Seiko Raja dead?” Killian asked, closing his fingers over the small silver cube.

“He is,” Daven answered, studying his father. “You’re taking all this very easily.”

“I suppose you want to ask why?” Killian put the little cube into his pocket and leaned forward, his gaze still on Kian. “I’m a business man, Daven. A successful one, and that comes with compromises that many might not understand.”

“Did you help fund Raja Securities?” Daven asked, saddened by the thought.

“No.” Killian shook his head. “No, Seiko tried, but I wouldn’t put any money into his investment campaigns.”

“Then what?” Daven asked, needing to know. “Kian is—

“Safe,” Killian cut in. “He will stay safe from now on, Daven. I need to go.”

“Dad,” Daven started.

“Your boyfriend has handed me a gift,” Killian said, reaching out to squeeze Daven’s shoulder. “I need to confirm it, before I tell you more. Hopefully, Kian wakes up soon and he can help me explain. Don’t worry, Daven. It’s nothing bad.”

“I really hope so,” Daven said. He was tired of bad news.

Killian got to his feet.

“Between the two of us, I think we’ll help Kian live a normal life now. Wait for my call, son.”

Killian left the bedroom in fast strides.

Alone, Daven moved from the chair, and sat on the right side of Kian’s bed. Still holding Kian’s hand, he rubbed his thumb over Kian’s knuckles and willed his strength into Kian.

“Kian,” Daven said. “Won’t you open your eyes now? I miss you.”

Daven sighed and stretched out beside Kian, resting his head on Kian’s pillow.

Daven stroked a finger over Kian’s smooth jaw.

“Aram wakes up when I sing him a lullaby. Will you? Should I sing for you?”

His heart clenched tight as every time he asked a question he expected an answer, and none came. Trailing his index finger over Kian’s nose, to his lips, Daven cleared his throat, and hummed a tune stuck in his head…

***

Soft humming filled his head, Kian felt a smile tug his lips as the voice sounded familiar. Daven? Hadn’t he left him in Amsterdam? If Lina had done as he instructed, Daven would be with Naomi about now.

Still, the hum persisted.

‘Kiss it, kiss it better, baby…

Kian turned to the hum, fighting the heavy weight of sleep to open his eyes. The light hurt his eyes, then his vision cleared, and there was Daven lying next to him. His green eyes filled with joy.

“You’re awake,” Daven said, a wide smile gracing his lips.

Thinking it a wonderful dream, Kian shifted to his right side to face Daven. His heart beating fast when Daven leaned in and kissed him. The feel of Daven’s lips against his, his arms around him, warmth filled every corner of his dark heart.

What a reward after all the pain, Kian thought.

How lucky would he be if Daven returned to him like this? Endless nights of this, Kian almost felt as though he was being too greedy. A person like him, wanting such a gift—

The kiss ended, and Daven leaned back to look at him.

“Thank you for waking up,” Daven said, pulling him into a tight hug. “Sorry I was late coming to get you, Kian.”

Kian blinked.

This was no dream. Daven held him tight, and suddenly all Kian could feel was Daven’s warmth seeping into him.

He started to move his left arm to hold Daven, but his skin stung, the slight pain landing him in the present. Daven stopped him from moving his hand.

“Don’t undo my good work,” Daven said, letting go, and sitting up to check the IV line. “You gave me a fright, Kian Raja. I’m hoping you’re done giving me these extreme shocks.”

Kian watched Daven fuss over him for a minute.

When he was sure he could speak, Kian asked, “Where are we?”

“New York, in my loft,” Daven said looking at Kian. “You’ve been out for three weeks. I was starting to think you’re punishing me for not listening to you.”

“You should be in Oakland,” Kian started. “With Naomi—

“She’s on her way here,” Daven said. “I told her she would have to visit because I couldn’t leave you.”

“Daven—

“You left me alone,” Daven cut him off. “You drugged me and left me after telling me you loved me. I still need to punish you for that.”

Kian closed his eyes, trying to get back his bearings. Daven took his right hand, giving it a tight squeeze. Kian opened his eyes to find Daven’s gaze filled with panic.

“I’m tired,” Kian said, not liking the worry in Daven’s eyes.

“That's expected, you've been horizontal for a while, and your meds are heavy.”

Kian tried to pull Daven’s hand with his right. He felt weak, and it embarrassed him. So, he stopped and decided it was better to use his words.

“Daven, come back here and hold me. That felt really good,” Kian said in a soft tone. “I know you’re mad at me, I promise to let you punish me later.”

Daven shook his head and did as asked.

“How am I supposed to stay angry with you when you say shit like that?”

“It’s my secret tactic,” Kian said, resting his head on Daven’s shoulder. “You smell really good. I feel like I haven’t seen you in ages, Daven.”

“It has been ages,” Daven said, pressing a soft kiss on Kian’s forehead. Kian closed his eyes, wanting to sleep in Daven’s arms.

“Kian.”

“Mmm?”

“From now on, don’t leave my side,” Daven said. “Or I might have to tie you down.”

Kian couldn’t help the laugh.

***

Kian seems to have fought off his demons...look forward to the final chapter.
Daven hums....Kiss it, kiss it better...
This song is stuck in my head, had to use it somehow.:P
Sui.
2017, Suilan Lee
  • Like 43
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Taewon you are a good man. I admire him more than any other character in the story. I'm sad to see there's only one chapter left. Like I said during the first chapter I don't usually go for the whole assassin espionage thing but this was a great one.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

So one mystery left to solve: Daven's father and the cube. We also need a wrap-up with Naomi and kids. As I said before, I am almost sorry for this story to end. Thanks. Jeff

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Now that was an action sequence! Oh my, I had to read fast! What a thing to kill your own grandfather, but it had to be done. Kian would never be free otherwise. So, the final mystery...? What's the connection? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Jeez, what rock have I been hiding under that I didn't see this chapter posted?

 

I'm glad Seiko is dead; he was a monster to his own grandchild.

 

Thankfully now that Kian woke up from his coma, they can both be safe from now on.

 

I am curious what Daven's father has to do with the cube.

 

Ok, on to the last chapter. :(

  • Like 2
Link to comment

To have someone love you like that is beautiful but it usually always happens in stories and movies 🎥 🍿 sad

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 8/10/2021 at 12:07 PM, Nana Atuwa said:

To have someone love you like that is beautiful but it usually always happens in stories and movies 🎥 🍿 sad

I suppose, though it does happen in real life too, it does take effort though, even when it seems that it shouldn't.:wub:

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..