Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 7,649 Words
  • 2,189 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The word 'Ai' - 2. Chapter 2

“So, you’re telling me some guy picked you up from the gallery, took you to the Peak Lounge, introduced you to your mother and then took you to some hotel where you had dinner. Kyo, this is why I worry about you,” Kaori said the next morning sitting across him in their favorite coffee shop.

“What, I was hungry, he offered meat, what do you expect,” Kyo said with a shrug. Sipping his hot coffee, he sighed. “Don’t worry, nothing happened, I left and headed straight home to my cold empty bed.”

“You should have come to the club,” Kaori said with a shake of her head. “If these people show up again, Kyo, you have to call me. Don’t leave with them, wait for me.”

“Are you going to baby sit me?” Kyo asked with a chuckle.

“Apparently, you need it,” Kaori snapped picking up a muffin and breaking it into two. She handed him one half and bit into the other with an angry bite. “Wait until Daisuke hears about this.”

“Oh, please don’t tell him,” Kyo said shuddering at the thought of the explanation he’d have to give. “Did he at least meet with Rie?”

“Yes, the big question was asked and she said yes,” Kaori said happily. “I’m finally going to get a sister. I won’t have to deal with the two of you by myself.”

Kyo laughed happy that his brother was finally getting what he wanted. He deserved all the happiness he could get. They all did, he thought staring at Kaori. She was a short, skinny girl with the cutest face he’d ever seen. Her hair was long down to her back, and currently all curly from a date with the hair stylists at bovian image salon in Harajuku. Today she was in a white dress that fit to her figure and stopped just above her knees and her feet were in white knee length boots. Judging from the look, she was probably presenting some report at her office.

“What are you up to today?” she asked studying him with piercing dark eyes that missed nothing. “The exhibition is over right?”

“Yeah,” Kyo said with a sigh. He looked around the cafe taking in the warm ambiance and the chattering customers. “I was thinking of heading over to the studio putting in some hours as student adviser. I’ve been neglecting that for like a week now. I’m pretty sure some students are upset with me.”

“As long as you’re not alone,” Kaori said sternly. “Call me at one; hopefully I’ll be done with my presentation by then. This project is driving me crazy. Become successful already so that I can market your art.”

Kyo laughed at her constant griping, it always happened when she was being stressed at work. Watching her look through her wallet, he wondered if he should tell her who the woman he’d met really was. He’d let out that little detail. Picking up his mug of coffee, he took a sip and was placing it down when a tall figure came to stand right by their table.

“We don’t want anything-,” Kaori started and looked up. She stopped when she saw Ryuu’s tall forbidding figure. He was dressed casually today, although casual for him was still dressed up. Kyo frowned at the black polo neck that was covered by a black casual jacket, and black jeans. Kaori gave him an appreciative look. “Wow, who are you?”

“Good morning, Ms. Tatsuya,” Ryuu said oozing charm like a creamy éclair. Making a face at that annoying handsome face, Kyo concentrated on his coffee. “My name is Ryuu Shin. I work for Kyo’s mother.”

“Really,” Kaori said, making Kyo glance at her with concern. He knew that tone. She was going to start interrogating Ryuu very soon.

“It’s almost eight-thirty, Kaori, aren’t you going to be late for work?” Kyo reminded her.

“Damn,” she cursed staring at the time on her cell phone. “Mr. Shin, are you going to be talking to my brother?”

“I actually want to take him with me to see his mother,” Ryuu said quietly.

“No,” Kaori said with a firm tone. Pulling out money for their bill, she stuck her purse in her bag and shook her head. “Whoever you are, Mr. Shin, you don’t need to put my brother through this. And why doesn’t she come to get him? Why send other people to come deal with family matters? Kyo, stand up; you’re going to work with me. I’ll call Daisuke and you can spend time at his place.”

“Ms. Tatsuya,” Ryuu started.

Kaori wouldn’t hear of it, grabbing her bag, she stood up and for once didn’t gripe about getting her change. She urged him up and took him by the arm dragging him out of the cafe. They must have looked as if they were trying to escape after robbing the cafe. Once they were on the street, Kyo sighed and pulled at his arm.

“Kaori, will you slow down.”

“I’m late for work, and you need to be kept away from strangers. You don’t learn do you? I was the one that picked up the pieces when you met that woman who made you think she was your mother. I’m the one who had to watch you disintegrate. I won’t do it again.”

“Ms. Tatsuya,” Ryuu said behind them. He had a habit of keeping up that was irritating as hell. Shaking his head, Kyo stopped forcing Kaori to do the same. “I can give you a ride to your work place. Which will give you an opportunity to meet Rin-san, and your worries can be alleviated.”

“Really,” Kaori said, liking the idea, no Kyo thought. The ride to work was the key here, and Ryuu knew it. He sent him a smile and pointed to a black SUV waiting at the road.

“The car is waiting,” Ryuu said urging Kaori toward the car.

Kaori paused for a moment, glanced at her watch and sighed. “Come on, Kyo. I need a ride, and we need to find out what is going on. If it’s too hard, I’ll send Daisuke after them.”

Kyo shook his head at the amount of people trying to protect him. Giving Ryuu a glare, they walked to the black car and were settled in faster than he dared to appreciate. Inside, he found himself seated beside Rin, with Kaori by the door. Ryuu disappeared to the front passenger seat beside the driver.

Closing his eyes, he frowned when Rin turned slightly to look at him. She smelled of home and he hated that it was so enticing.

“Morning, my son,” she said quietly. “This must be your sister, Ryuu has told me about her. Hello Kaori.”

Opening his eyes, Kyo turned to look at his sister to find her gaping. She was clearly stunned and he knew why, but what the hell. Poking at her ribs, she blinked and stared at him with accusation.

“Rin Kiyoshi is your mother,” Kaori gasped.

“No.” Kyo protested.

“Yes.” Rin reaffirmed at the same time making Kyo turn to glare at her. She smiled at him and held out a paper. “I have proof. DNA results, I had to move heaven and earth to get them, but I did, thanks to Ryuu.”

“What,” Kyo said looking at the back of Ryuu’s head from the front. Damn bastard must have gotten a hold of his ‘DNA’ last night at some point. “That’s really low, Ryuu.”

“You gave us no other choice,” Rin explained giving the paper to Kaori. “You wouldn’t listen, but I doubt that should be a surprise. You’re as stubborn as I was. I thought the money would lure you back, but that didn’t work either.”

“Money,” Kaori asked perusing the paper she held. “Kyo is not like that.”

“I know that now,” Rin said quietly. She smiled and moved to touch him but when he flinched, she stopped and her hand dropped back on her lap. She was also dressed casually, in a pair of blue jeans, and a heavy black sweater that buttoned up to the top. It looked very warm. She held her hair in a ponytail, and her face looked freshly scrubbed. She was beautiful for her age. She met his scrutiny with one of her own and he wondered what she thought of his skinny short frame. As usual, he’d grabbed the most available clothes; he was a perpetual skinny jeans kind of guy. His faded blue t-shirt was clean at least, but the blue jacket he’d pulled on was paint stained. He had on a wool cap over his head, mostly because he’d washed his hair and hadn’t dried it.

“Kaori,” Rin said into the silence. “I want to spend some time with Kyo today. I hope that would be alright with you. I promise I don’t want to hurt him, just to talk.”

“Our older brother and I are very protective of him,” Kaori said, folding the paper she was holding and slipping it into her bag. “I don’t care who you are, if you cause him pain, I’ll retaliate.”

“You’re very pushy,” Rin said with a chuckle. “I’m glad to see that my son has such reliable family. I just want to talk with him. Later, perhaps tomorrow, we should all have a dinner date. That way we can get to know each other.”

“Of course,” Kaori said quietly. The car stopped and suddenly Kyo realized that they had reached Kaori’s work place. She glanced at her watch with a frown and sighed. “Kyo, I’ll call you later. Keep your phone on you, alright. Mrs. Kiyoshi, please take care of him.”

“You have my word,” Rin answered gently.

Kaori gave him a concerned look before she left the car giving Rin a short bow. The moment they were just the two of them, he moved leaving a space between them, clutching the door tightly as the car started moving again. He didn’t know what to say, the fact that she really was his mother was hard to take in. If she was this wealthy, why had she given him up?

“You are very angry with me,” Rin stated quietly. He didn’t need to answer her, what was the point if she already knew. “I can understand that. I will take the anger, Kyo, but I won’t take the rejection. I’m your mother, you’re my son. I won’t let you be alone anymore.”

“I’m not alone,” Kyo replied his thoughts firmly on Kaori and Daisuke.

“Fair enough,” Rin said. “I’m just letting you know that I won’t back off. You might not believe me, but I’ve been looking for you all your life.”

Kyo turned to look at her in confusion. How hard was it to find one child? He had been adopted through the state; there was no way she would have been unable to find him. As if reading his thoughts, she turned on the chair fully to look at him.

“You’re a very skeptical child.” Sighing, she tangled her fingers in her lap and his gaze was drawn to the very large diamond sparkling on her wedding ring finger. Her nails were perfectly manicured with a shade of dark green. They were long elegant fingers. Perfect for playing an instrument and sculpting things, he wondered if she was still doing her art.

“I was born into a very strict family,” she said quietly. “My father expected so much from me and I was very rebellious. As a result, I entered a relationship with a man working for my father and ended up pregnant. My mother was devastated since I was already promised to another family. Our family had the habit of marrying off children for business instead of love. My dear mother could not face the humiliation of her daughter destroying the family reputation.”

She paused for a moment to look out the window, and Kyo suddenly realized that they were driving out of the main city to the residential areas. He wasn’t sure how he felt about that, but a small part of him really wanted to know. He wanted to know who he was.

“My parents arranged for me to visit a relative abroad. I stayed there for the duration of my pregnancy, and the night I gave birth to you, they paid some one to take you away. I never even got to hold you.” They wouldn’t tell me where they had taken you. They wouldn’t even give me a name. For three years, I begged my mother, but she wouldn’t even look at me when I started that topic.”

“My engagement was due, and the day before the wedding to Mr. Kiyoshi, I threatened to run away. God forgive me, but I wanted to end my life that night, unable to take it anymore.” Shaking her head, she turned to look at him with a small smile. “My mother, made me a deal that day. She promised to tell me your name if I married Kiyoshi. She chose the perfect thing to blackmail me. I had given you so many names in my head. I wanted just to know what you went by, my dear son. I can’t explain to you that need.”

Pulling out a very old paper from her sweater pocket, she held it out to him with a proud smile. “I never wanted to lose this paper. My mother wrote it to me right after the wedding reception, it was the most beautiful gift I have ever received. Your name written on a dry cleaning receipt my mother pulled out of her bag.”

Kyo stared at the symbols of his name written on the paper with a sad smile. Handing it back to her, she refolded it carefully and put it back into her pocket. Glancing back at him, she bit her bottom lip for a moment before she reached out slowly with a trembling hand. It took all he had not to move. The touch of her hand on his cheek had him gasping and she pulled back fast.

He stared at her in surprise. He hadn’t hated her touch. He wished she’d kept doing it, she was so warm. Rin cleared her throat and returned to tangling her fingers on her lap.

“You would not believe how many people go by your name Kyo. I’ve made DNA testing into an art, so many con artists wanting to be who you are. I was starting to lose hope. It didn’t help that your foster family seemed to stay away from modern registration. Not even credit cards,” she shook her head. “If it weren’t for the art book you published I might never have found you.”

“How did you know it was me?”

“Ryuu found you,” Rin said with a smile. “He investigated everything about you, tracing you back to the day you were born. I don’t know how he does it, but he even found the nurse my parents used to transport you back to Japan.”

Frowning, Kyo looked to the front seat where Ryuu seemed oblivious to their conversation. His attention sorely on their destination and the driver, no wonder the man had seemed so sure yesterday.

“This might seem disturbing, but Ryuu is head of the foundation’s security and takes care of the Kiyoshi home as well. He had to know everything about you first before we approached you. You understand we’ve had issues before, and I didn’t think I could stand another false find. I wasn’t happy to find out that it had also happened to you before. Ryuu worked hard to convince me to not file charges against the woman who betrayed you three years ago.”

“You know about that?” Kyo frowned. Who were these people? What more did they know about him? Or should he say, Ryuu. The man probably knew how he liked his cereal.

The car stopped and he looked outside to find that they had driven into very secure and impressive grounds. Before him, an astonishing modern mansion stood. It’s architecture a mixture of European styles. It was huge, mammoth, he wasn’t sure it could pass for a home, more like an intimidating symbol.

“Before we go in,” Rin said quietly. Kyo glanced back at her to find that Ryuu and the driver had left and were now entering the house. Rin was watching him expectantly and she didn’t stop when he frowned. “I want to ask you to give me a chance, Kyo. I want you to give me some time with you, stay here at this cold place I call home and if you can’t stand to be near me, after two months, I’ll let you go.”

“Why,” Kyo asked quietly.

“Because, I have all this love bottled up inside for you, my dear son. It’s going to kill me very soon, if you don’t accept it. But, if you really don’t want it, tell me in two months, just give me that much time to dish it out so that it doesn’t hurt as much anymore.”

“You’re more dramatic than me,” Kyo said shaking his head. “As long as you don’t start throwing money at me like you had Ryuu do yesterday.”

“You have my word,” she said with a bright smile. “Does that mean you’ll do it?”

Kyo stared at her and sighed. What choice did he have? Like Daisuke, he too wanted to know who he really was. Where his roots had come from, he sighed. Everyone wanted to know who they were, why should he be any different.

“Fine, I’ll do it.” Kyo looked up to find tears trailing down Rin’s face. “Please don’t cry.”

“I’ll stop if you let me hug you.” She wiped at her face with her palms. “Please let me hug you.”

Giving her a nod of assent, he was suddenly wrapped tightly in the warmest hug he’d ever received in his life. She smelled of pepper mint and strawberries, the kisses she pressed to the top of his head and forehead were sweet and warm. She rubbed his back slowly, comforting him in ways he’d never felt before. Closing his eyes, he basked in the warmth of his mother’s comfort for the first time since the day he was born.

************

It wasn’t easy, it should have been, she was his mother, he had irrefutable proof thanks to the DNA test, but it seemed to stop there. They differed on everything else. He wasn’t meant to live a life tied up by Kiyoshi family rules. He couldn’t be the good son who dressed up, and spend time trying to understand the rules of the family. He didn’t know the right way to eat with a mind boggling array of cutlery. What was wrong with a pair of chopsticks? He didn’t want to cut his hair, he liked it long. He hated suits, and felt comfortable in his jeans and t-shirts. He painted, it was his life, he made a living that way.

 

Two months of constant turmoil, he wasn’t sure he wanted to be a part of the family. He just knew that he missed his apartment, and hanging out with Kaori at Hitoiro until whatever time of the night he wanted. Seated in a sun bright solarium a day before the two months was up, Kyo stared at the blank page on his sketch book wondering what he was supposed to do now.

He liked the idea of his own mother, Rin was an interesting woman, but he was loyal to grandma and grandpa Tatsuya. They had loved him enough to give him their name, and a home, abandoning them would be wrong. Rin wanted him to change his last name to Kiyoshi, and he couldn’t bring himself to do it.

“You’re frowning again,” Ryuu said into the room making him drop the pen he was tapping against the sketch pad. “What did you do this time?”

Kyo sighed, unable to stop staring at Ryuu. The man had become his knight in shining armor. Always stepping in when things got too uncomfortable, Ryuu had rescued him out of a million situations that would have turned into a nightmare. It didn’t help that he still thought him handsome. On work days like today, Ryuu was always impeccably dressed. He was in a black suit today with a burgundy shirt that was open at the collar. His dark hair was stylishly cut, a lock of it fell over his forehead, making Kyo want to walk over and brush it back.

“I’m going to go back to my apartment,” Kyo said quietly, looking away from Ryuu. “I don’t belong here.”

“Kyo,” Ryuu said in surprise. Walking into the room, Ryuu came to sit beside him on the chaise. Picking up the drawing pen from the floor he stared at it for a moment before he handed it to Kyo. “You want to run away.”

“May be,” Kyo said with a shrug turning on his seat so that he was looking at Ryuu. He ran through the information that he’d learned about Ryuu. Ryuu was twenty-eight, single and a second born son. His older brother was married to a Kiyoshi that was how he’d gotten the position he held with Rin’s foundation. The couple had renewed their vows after a few years of being apart on the day Ryuu picked him up from the gallery.

“Of all the people who live in this house, you are the one that belongs here the most,” Ryuu said quietly. “Not the two aunts who are giving you hell for not knowing how to use the cutlery, not the uncle who doesn’t want you working at the foundation. And certainly none of their brats are going to inherit any of it even if you leave. You are Rin’s only child, her son; you are the only one who deserves her consideration.”

“But it’s too hard,” Kyo said quietly. “I don’t have the kind of strength needed-

“I can be your strength, Kyo,” Ryuu said quietly. “You just have to get through tomorrow and the next day, and it will all be over.”

“I don’t know if I can,” Kyo sighed staring at the blank page again. He hadn’t been able to draw in a week now. That scared him a bit. He always drew; nothing had ever stopped that place inside him that felt the urge to create. Holding the pen, his hand over the page determined to make any kind of line, even a straight line would be acceptable, and instead his hand shook helplessly leaving the page blank.

He was supposed to be concentrating on preparing for his thesis. His adviser was expecting a rough draft of it, and what he was thinking his final exhibition would be about. He couldn’t even draw a single line. Closing his eyes, the idea of going back to his single roomed apartment began to look even more inviting. He couldn’t lose his art.

His hand was covered by a bigger one, and the pen was pressed to the sketch pad. He opened his eyes to find the Ryuu holding his hand steady against the page. Turning his head slightly, his gaze was captured by smiling dark eyes. “I can’t draw, but I can keep the pen steady if you move it.”

Kyo laughed at the suggestion and turned his attention back to the page. Ryuu’s hand was steady, Kyo moved it over the page and for an inordinate amount of time he directed the pen over the sketch pad. Finally stopping, he looked at the Zen garden they had drawn together. It was rough, hardly spectacular and would need a lot more work to even be worth looking at. Ryuu let go of his hand and took the sketch pad away from him holding it up.

“My first drawing,” Ryuu said into his ear with quiet excitement. That tone made him smile. Ryuu had that effect on him. “Can I keep it?”

“Sure,” Kyo said.

“Thank you,” Ryuu said happily. He placed the sketch pad on the cushion beside him, turning slightly, Ryuu pulled him into a hug. “Don’t leave,” he murmured quietly into Kyo’s ear.

Snuggling into the warmth of Ryuu’s body, he pressed his face into Ryuu’s chest. He wrapped his arms around Ryuu, his hands pressing against the strong back. Taking in a deep breath, he filled his senses with Ryuu’s intoxicating scent.

“Stay, for me,” Ryuu said quietly into his ear. “Stay with me, Kyo.”

His heart answered the request, snuggling deeper into Ryuu’s chest, he tilted his head slightly, enough to look into dark searching eyes. “What if I lose myself here? I feel it already. I can’t lose my art, Ryuu.”

“I’ll hold the pen,” Ryuu promised. “I’ll remind you. Just promise to stay a while longer.”

He couldn’t help agreeing to that request. Ryuu had that effect on him, it didn’t help that a soft kiss was pressed to the top of his head and strong arms wrapped around him tightly. He could have stayed there forever.

******

Ryuu became his world after that day. If it was possible for someone’s focus to shift entirely in a minute, he liked to think that day in the solarium was the day his focus became centered on Ryuu Shin.

Visiting his grandparents for the first time, Kyo clung to the fact that Ryuu stood by his side while his grandmother scrutinized him like he was a piece of fish in the market. Even with Rin smiling at him with encouragement, he couldn’t forgive his grandmother for having put him up for adoption without batting an eyelash. The more he learned about the Kiyoshi family, the more he held on to his adopted name, frustrating Rin who wanted to make a formal announcement so that he could take his place beside her.

When he went back to school, Ryuu made sure he was always the one to pick him up. Ryuu also invited Kaori and Daisuke over to the large mansion making sure no one would stop them from seeing him. He even convinced him to give up his one bedroom apartment and arranged for all his personal belongings to be brought to Rin’s home.

One afternoon six months into his new life, Kyo was busy painting in a storage room he’d found in the back of the property when Rin came rushing in. She was clearly distressed and her make up was all messed up, as though she’d been crying. Turning off his iPod, he frowned when he was suddenly wrapped in a tight hug.

“Rin?” he asked trying not to get any paint on her nice designer clothes. “Rin, you’re going to get paint all over. Are you okay?”

She trembled and kept holding on, so he dropped his brush onto the pallet and held on. After a full five minutes of an unexplained breakdown, she pulled back and wiped at her face, while she touched his cheek.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“No one could find you,” she said quietly. “Ryuu went out to deal with some issues at the offices and the aunts and uncles said you’d left for good. I’ve had security looking for you for the past four hours. I thought you ran away.”

“Wow, I left a note with in the kitchen. It was stuck on the fridge.” Kyo frowned and shook his head. “They must have no told you.”

“I don’t care what they think, Kyo. All I care about is you,” Rin said quietly sinking into a dirty stool that he’d been using to stand on. She was clearly more upset than she was letting on. Kneeling before her, he tangled his paint stained fingers with her elegant ones. “I’ve been selfish lately, haven’t I? I asked Ryuu to take care of you and make sure you didn’t run away, and he’s done such a good job. I know you feel stifled here, and how hard it can be sometimes, but I can’t let you leave. I need you to let me take care of you.”

Kyo leaned his head down wondering if Ryuu was really getting closer to him for the sake of his mother or for what he was feeling. He didn’t know how to feel about that. Especially when his own heart was now Ryuu’s, there was no doubt in him anymore. He loved being with Ryuu, he was in love with Ryuu.

Rin ran her fingers into his long hair, messing up his ponytail. She sighed and leaned down to press a kiss on the top of his head. “I’ve been having issues with the family. The foundation needs a visible head and each of them wanted to have their children named the successor since I didn’t have any. Now that I’ve found you, my dear Kyo, they are all bitter and disappointed. That’s how big families like ours work. Seeing how you, Daisuke and Kaori are, I know it must seem foreign to you to have people like those related to you, but I will fix it.”

“How, you can’t chase them away,” Kyo said with a sigh. “They are our family.”

“No, I cannot chase them away.” Rin chuckled and he looked up to find her smiling. “Your heart is pure, just like Ryuu has told me so many times. We can’t chase them away, but we can move them, my dear Kyo. I want a happy home now that you’re with me. I almost went mad with panic when I thought you had left. To find you having to paint in such a place,” she shook her head, “no more.”

Kyo looked around the large room and shrugged. “There is nothing wrong with this storage room. It’s dusty, but that’s okay, and no one uses it.”

Rin stood up still holding his right hand, she moved to stand before the painting he’d been working on apparently for the duration of time she’d been looking for him. She gasped as she realized what she was looking at. “You’re painting me.”

Kyo shrugged. “I didn’t want you to look at it yet. I’m just developing some ideas for my thesis, its very rough-

“It’s spectacular.” Squeezing his fingers, she took a step closer. “I won’t say anything else, for now, I’ll wait until you’re done, and you have to promise to show it to me first even before Ryuu.”

He looked at her guiltily and she smiled. “I have eyes, Kyo-chan. I can see he means the world to you.”

“You don’t mind?”

“How can I hate something that makes you happy?” Pressing a finger on his forehead, she waited until he was looking straight into her eyes. “You’re part of me. I’ll always be on your side, okay.”

And he could see it in her eyes, that she meant every word. She helped him cover the painting, unwilling to leave him alone after her recent scare. She dragged him out of the storage room and they walked sedately back to the main house. He liked how he seemed to dwarf her. She clung to his elbow tightly, talking a mile a minute about all the places she wanted to take him that had inspired her painting. And did he want to go with her to see them? And would he like to spend a day at the beach with her? And would it be alright if she brought some strawberry cupcakes from her favorite bakery for him?

Each question healed a part of him he hadn’t realized was hurting. By the time Ryuu returned to the house, he felt as though he’d known his mother all his life. Standing at the balcony in his room staring out at the darkened manicured back lawns, he wasn’t surprised when Ryuu came to join him.

“I heard there was some excitement earlier,” Ryuu said leaning on the balcony beside him.

“Rin was worried I had left,” Kyo said quietly. “I didn’t realize how hard things were for her until today. I was just thinking about myself, and how much I don’t like the family. I never once thought what it must be like for her. Will you tell me what to do to help her? I think I’d like to do that.”

“Are you sure, Kyo? What about your painting?” Ryuu asked quietly. “Some things, like your paint stained hands will have to change.”

“I’m sure we can find a way to go round it.” Kyo turned to look at him. “I think I would like to give her that as a present for finding me.”

“It might take a while, living the life of a socialite is not so easy.”

“I can learn if you teach me. As long as I don’t lose my hair, I really do like it long.”

“Me too,” Ryuu said straightening up. He turned and leaned on the balcony with his back to the view.

Kyo allowed Ryuu to pull him into his arms, lifting his head up, their lips met in a kiss full of promise. He loved these moments when nothing else mattered but the feel of Ryuu holding him close. Kissing him senseless and taking him to levels he could never reach alone. Returning the kiss, Kyo tasted Ryuu’s strength, an unbending resolve that gave him courage; he tasted his love, warmth that filled every part of his heart, heating him straight to his core. Clinging to Ryuu’s shoulders, he thanked the gods for bringing this man into his life.

************

Two months later, he rented a loft, packing up his clothes and filling up the place with art supplies, he had a lengthy talk with Rin asking her permission to allow him to leave the mansion for the next two months. His thesis was due and a final exhibition at Geidai art gallery demanded he give it full concentration.

“What about Ryuu?” Rin asked that morning before he left. “He can stay with you; I have other people who can take his place.”

“No,” Kyo said shaking his head. “He’s your head security, Rin. How can you ask him to stay with me? There are more important things to take care of.”

“But you are the most important one to me,” Rin said quietly. “Fine, do what’s best for both of you. Although, I think he loves you very much. I don’t think he’ll let you leave quite so easily.”

“I’m not going to some other country. I’ll just be in the city.”

Rin laughed at that and shook her head. “Love is funny, my dear son. It warps everything, believe me. Remember your promise to me.”

“I do,” Kyo said with a small smile. “Don’t worry, just let me finish this.”

“You’ve changed,” she said with a smile. “You’re not the angry boy I met ten months ago. It makes me proud to see you like this.”

“Please don’t start on the drama, Rin.” He stood up and leaned down to kiss her forehead. “I’m a phone call away. Anytime you get exasperated by the aunts, call, I’ll listen.”

“What do we do about Ryuu?”

“Give him the address, but order him not to visit.”

“That won’t be easy.”

“Rin, you wield all that power, come on, make use of it.”

************************************************************************

“You are still calling your mother by the first name?” Shuji asked when Kyo fell silent.

Kyo sighed. “Yeah, I’ve been working on that. The truth is I left to make peace with Kyo Tatsuya. There are areas that need to be given up, others that can’t be given up. I have lived a full twenty-two years as Kyo Tatsuya.”

“So, this is all about becoming a Kiyoshi?” Shuji shook his head. “Why punish Ryuu-san?”

“I’m not punishing him. I’m testing myself,” Kyo said quietly. “Those first months at that house were hell. I would have drowned without him, but now, this last part, I have to do myself. He’s been holding my hand the entire time; I want to show him what I’ve learned with his help, and that I can stand on my own.”

“Do you love him?”

“Of course I love him. I haven’t told him but I will. This year I seemed to have gained a whole new family. All of them expect something from me, and for a while I wondered if I was betraying my foster family by taking my mother’s name. But-,” he trailed off.

“But, now what,” Shuji demanded.

“If I’d grown up with the Kiyoshi family, I would have ended up like them, bitter, angry and greedy. My mother constantly has to defend her position because each one of them wants a piece of the pie, and it has all been her work. It’s a hateful environment to grow up in. So, I’m glad to my foster family for showing me a different way of life.”

“This exhibition you’re doing at the new gallery is it going to be under your old name or is it going to be as a Kiyoshi?”

“As a Kiyoshi,” Kyo said quietly. “I made a promise with my mother that if I chose to stay with her, my paintings would be under Kiyoshi. If not, then I’d just leave it as Tatsuya.”

“Was there a moment you thought you might walk away?”

Kyo thought about for a moment. “My decision was made the day my mother found me at the storage room. When I asked Ryuu to help me learn how to be a Kiyoshi, my decision was already made.”

“How are you going to apologize to Ryuu-san? He’s very angry with you right now.”

He would be, Kyo thought as he stood up. “Shuji, please just hold him off for two more days, alright. The exhibition is on Friday. I’ll be ready by then.”

“Fine, for the sake of love declarations I will say no for two more days. But, you better make sure he apologizes to me for taking his anger out on me. He is very scary.”

Kyo laughed. “I promise, Shuji. I’m going back to work, now."

************************************************************************

On the day of the exhibition, Kyo dressed extra carefully. Kaori had taken care of his clothes, delivering them to the loft with Daisuke and Rie in tow in the morning. While he got dressed, she and Rie prepared breakfast while Daisuke sat on his bed.

“Are you happy, Kyo?” Daisuke asked quietly. “Of all of us, you’re the lucky one, you found your parents. Kaori will never know hers since she was named by the state. My parents died a long time ago. You have to know how lucky you are.”

“I know, Daisuke.” Brushing his hair thoroughly, he reached up and tied it in a ponytail, making sure that it was neat. Happy with what he was seeing, he turned to look at his oldest brother and shrugged. “My family is also yours, you do know that right?”

“I know.”

“Can you help me tie this?” Kyo held up a tie and Daisuke stared at him in shock. “Stop staring at me and help. I can’t seem to do it right no matter how many times I try.”

“I have to say, Ryuu-san has power I didn’t foresee. You are actually going to wear a tie? Kyo, are you ill?”

“A Kiyoshi is always impeccably dressed.” Kyo recited Ryuu’s words and shook his head. “I have to make an impression today, Daisuke. It’s my first day as the head of a foundation that scares the hell out of me.”

“I guess I’ve lived to see the day,” Daisuke said getting up to help him with the tie. “I’m happy for you little brother. You’ll make a good spokesperson.”

Entering the kitchen behind Daisuke, adjusting the knot at his neck, he winced when Kaori squealed in excitement and rushed to jump over him. “Oh my God, you look awesome. I knew the charcoal grey would be best, and the tie is amazing. You’re too handsome.”

“Please stop,” Kyo said rolling his eyes. “Rie-san, I’m so sorry, but you’re getting yourself into a family of mad people.”

“I don’t mind, it’s lively,” Rie said standing up to stand beside Daisuke.

They ate breakfast leisurely. Then Daisuke drove them down to the new gallery where a crowd was already gathering. Driving to the back, they dropped him off at the back entrance and went off to find a place to park. Kyo hurried into the gallery and was met by Shuji who was overseeing the preparations.

“Your guests are waiting; your mom looks very excited. I had a hard time keeping her away from the exhibition room.”

“Thanks, Shuji.” Entering the waiting room where his mother was waiting, he grinned when his mother rushed to hug him. “Hi, Mom, you look lovely as always.”

She gasped and pulled back to stare up at him. “You just called me Mom.”

“I did,” he said quietly. Leaning down, he kissed her cheek and smiled. “Come on, I’ll show you your portrait. I promise that Ryuu hasn’t seen it first.”

“That’s good, although I don’t think Ryuu is too happy with any of us right now. He’s out in the lobby talking with the security team. His expression is extra grim; you’re going to need a miracle.”

Well, he would fix that pretty soon he hoped. Leading Rin into the exhibition room, he put a hand over her eyes and led her directly to painting number nineteen. When they were standing right before it, he removed his hand and waited for her reaction. Staring back at them was a regal Rin Kiyoshi, looking elegant and royal in a pristine white dress seated on a stool in a disarrayed storage room. To him, she was the calm port in a storm, a woman who despite being in constant turmoil, never once let on she was anything but graceful.

“It’s beautiful.” She didn’t say anymore but she did reach out and touch the signature he’d used. It simply read Kiyoshi. She hugged him tightly and said into his ear. “Thank you and welcome home.”

Kyo hugged her back and allowed the moment for a bit, before he pulled back and nodded to the final painting. She looked at it with curiosity and frowned. Glancing around the room she frowned. “It’s not a portrait.”

“It’s a message to a certain upset someone.” Kyo smiled when she gave him an inquiring look. “I’ll explain later, but please let me show it to him first before we start.”

“Alright, son,” she grinned. “I love saying that. Today is the happiest day of my life. I can’t wait to make my speech. I want the whole world to know I’ve found you. So hurry up and appease Ryuu, and meet us out front.”

Nodding, he hurried out ready to go get Ryuu, only to collide into the man on his way to come into the exhibition room. The familiar hold on his upper arms steadying him made him realize just how much he’d missed his lover. Glancing up into dark cold eyes, he faltered for a moment, at the sight of that anger. Swallowing hard, he took a step back.

“Sir, we’re almost ready,” Ryuu said quietly.

That tone hurt more than he could imagine. Taking Ryuu’s hand, he turned and pulled him into the exhibition room, not stopping until they were before the Zen garden he’d spent hours painting. There was already a red sticker beside the name of the painting. He’d simply called it one word. ‘Ai’, Love. To him, that stupid drawing they’d done together, so many months ago in the solarium was more precious than anything he’d ever done.

“You painted it,” Ryuu said quietly. “And it’s already sold.”

“I put that there. The painting is yours to keep,” Kyo said. “I’m sorry, and please stay with me. Be with me, Ryuu because I can’t live without you. Even though you’re angry with me right now, don’t-

Ryuu stopped his words with a soft kiss on his lips and he closed his eyes in relief. As much as he wanted to garner respect from the rest of the Kiyoshi family, he never wanted to hear Ryuu call him ‘sir’ using that stupid cold voice he’d just used.

In the past year, he’d learned more than he dared say from Ryuu. The man had brought out his capacity to love, teaching him that it was okay to share that love with his old family, and his new family. That it was alright to be who he wanted to be, even when others didn’t approve. Ryuu had introduced him to a part of himself he’d never imagined existed. Just thinking about it, made his body ache for time alone with him at a more private place.

He wrapped his arms around Ryuu’s neck and was glad when he was pulled into a tight possessive hug. Breaking the kiss, he laid his head on Ryuu’s shoulder and sighed.

“Please don’t ever call me sir. I don’t think I can take it.”

“I was angry,” Ryuu said quietly. “You left me and wouldn’t let me see you.”

“I had to,” Kyo said quietly. “To make this exhibition happen, to make the change I needed to accept Mom. I needed to leave.”

“I know,” Ryuu said still holding him. He breathed out shakily and shook his head. “I love you, Kyo. Please don’t ever leave me again.”

“I love you too.” Kyo said his heart bursting with love. “I love you so much.”

Ryuu kissed him again and in that moment, Kyo Kiyoshi felt like he had come home. He was where he belonged and nothing would ever take him away, not even death, he decided.

The End

 

 

2012, lilansui
  • Like 12
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Very nice story lilansui! I loved the different vibe to it and the artistic theme. The love story was pretty cute too!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Damn, you made me cry.

 

I can certainly understand why Kyo needed that time away from everyone so he could concentrate on his thesis and his drawings. I've read how artists just live for their paintings when they're under a deadline and they don't want to be bothered by anyone. Although letting Ryuu know that ahead of time would have been helpful. lol

 

I also liked reading about how Kyo changed from the angry, stubborn kid into a more mature young man under Ryuu's care.

 

Awesome story lilansui! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/24/2012 04:38 AM, Lisa said:
Damn, you made me cry.

 

I can certainly understand why Kyo needed that time away from everyone so he could concentrate on his thesis and his drawings. I've read how artists just live for their paintings when they're under a deadline and they don't want to be bothered by anyone. Although letting Ryuu know that ahead of time would have been helpful. lol

 

I also liked reading about how Kyo changed from the angry, stubborn kid into a more mature young man under Ryuu's care.

 

Awesome story lilansui! :)

awww...I'm really happy you liked it. Thanks for reading and the amazing reaction. You made my day.
Link to comment
On 07/24/2012 12:13 AM, Cia said:
Very nice story lilansui! I loved the different vibe to it and the artistic theme. The love story was pretty cute too!
Cia, I do a dance every time i read a review from you. I'm glad you liked it. Thank you. ^_^
  • Like 1
Link to comment

What a beautiful story! It's well rounded an well, i don't really know how to describe my feelings reading the story. Just know i really like it and it's a great story. I like your style.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/24/2012 09:19 PM, ninecila said:
What a beautiful story! It's well rounded an well, i don't really know how to describe my feelings reading the story. Just know i really like it and it's a great story. I like your style.
Thanks Ninecila, I'm happy you loved it. Thanks for the review
Link to comment
On 11/13/2012 07:55 AM, joann414 said:
So glad a found. It made my Monday a hundred times better. Love it so much:)
I'm glad it made your day. You rock Joann!
Link to comment

They say a picture tells a thousand words. Those two only needed to say one and they did it very well. Very beautiful ending to a lovely story.

 

I also caught the mention of Bovian Image Kanjuku(yeah I don't think I spelt that city right sorry)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/06/2013 05:36 PM, Daithi said:
They say a picture tells a thousand words. Those two only needed to say one and they did it very well. Very beautiful ending to a lovely story.

 

I also caught the mention of Bovian Image Kanjuku(yeah I don't think I spelt that city right sorry)

Thanks for noting that Bovian Image thing, lol. And for reviewing this story..I later renamed it Love (Ai) but I still like it's current title. Lovely reviews, thank you.
Link to comment

This is the first story of yours that I read. I found like while looking for free ebooks on goodreads and smashwords. It is a story which stayed with me. Even days after having read it, the scenes and the feelings would come back to me. I didn't know that it was here, at GA. I only guessed it when I saw your name at KC's blog in a comment and thought that you might be an author here. I googled it and ta-da! :lol:

 

It is an amazing story. It has a soft charm to it, which grows on you. Maybe it's because the way you write, the characters, the settings... I don't know. It's very endearing, though. You earned yourself a fan through this story. Amazing story. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/07/2013 10:19 PM, Ieshwar said:
This is the first story of yours that I read. I found like while looking for free ebooks on goodreads and smashwords. It is a story which stayed with me. Even days after having read it, the scenes and the feelings would come back to me. I didn't know that it was here, at GA. I only guessed it when I saw your name at KC's blog in a comment and thought that you might be an author here. I googled it and ta-da! :lol:

 

It is an amazing story. It has a soft charm to it, which grows on you. Maybe it's because the way you write, the characters, the settings... I don't know. It's very endearing, though. You earned yourself a fan through this story. Amazing story. :)

Leshwar, a big virtual hug to you, :hug: Thank you so much, glad you liked this story. In some ways I sometimes wish to come back to the place I was when I wrote this, the emotions and the characters were so fun for me. I'm happy they left an impression for you. I'm so happy to have gained a reader, and I hope to keep entertaining you forever. lol :) I should send K.C a gift lol. Thanks again.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..