Jump to content
    LillyLee
  • Author
  • 2,691 Words
  • 2,505 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Prince - 4. Chapter 4

The boys met every night for three weeks and Prince Noah was improving rapidly. Phoenix was impressed. He obviously had the talent, but lacked the direction he needed. He was small for sixteen, but fast. His small frame made his muscle tone deceiving. He had still never managed to beat his new tutor, but it was getting closer. After they trained they sat beneath a tree and shared a meal while they chatted. Along with the improvements in the Prince’s battle skill their friendship was growing stronger. Although, even though it was growing closer, neither boy mentioned Phoenix's upcoming matching.

“Your armor is almost finished.” Phoenix announced one night when they sat down to rest.

“Really? You work fast.”

“It is an exciting project and Owen’s been helping a bit. You should be able to come in and try it on tomorrow and I can make any needed adjustments.”

Noah hesitated, but he really wanted to know. “How did you know my measurements?” he asked shyly.

At first he thought Phoenix wasn’t going to answer, finally he took a breath before beginning. “Well, some of it is guessing work, based on comparisons. For instance, I am 5”11 and you’ are about 6 inches shorter than me, making you 5”5 ish. Human proportions are symmetrical so your arm span is equal to your height, the width of the shoulders is about a quarter of the height, the distance from the elbow to the tip of the hand is a quarter of the height, elbow to armpit is half that.”

“Wow. You are smart.”

Phoenix chuckled. “You seem surprised.”

“My apologies, I did not mean to insult you. I just know… education is different for...”

“For commoners? Do not fret, I understand. My mother and father were better educated than most and taught me a lot. But a lot of this I learned from making armor for Owen.”

“So you used math to figure out my measurements?”

“Partly.”

“What is the other part?”

Phoenix shrugged. “Observation?”

Noah raised an eyebrow. “You mean you have been watching me?”

Phoenix laughed. “Not in some creepy stalker type way. Just, I notice you.” Noah studied his friend's face; he looked uncomfortable and had a slight blush to his cheeks.

The Young Prince smiled. “I have noticed you too.” He replied softly.

Phoenix glanced over, confused at first but a small smile crept on his face. Noah hoped it was because he understood what the prince had meant.

“It is getting late, will I see you tomorrow?” Phoenix stood and offered his hand to pull the young Prince to his feet. Noah nodded and accepted his hand. As Phoenix pulled him up the younger boy tripped and fell against him. He could feel the older boy’s arms wrap around his waist to steady him. Their eyes met and held, neither moved. Noah watched Phoenix's eyes drift down to his mouth and a small part of him wished for a kiss. Phoenix cleared his throat and pulled away gently making sure Noah was steady before letting go.

“So, until tomorrow.” He sounded slightly breathless.

Noah nodded, he wasn’t sure he could speak at the moment. After being held against the warm body he suddenly felt cold. They walked to the wall together in silence then turned to go their separate ways. Phoenix paused and turned back, whispering into the night. “Sweetest of dreams my Prince.” Noah barely heard him, but could feel his face burn nonetheless.

*

That night the young Prince lay in bed staring at the ceiling. He was a stupid, foolish boy. And apparently he loved punishment. It had been almost a month since he asked Phoenix to help him in his training, an excuse to spend time with him really, and it was becoming torturous. The older boy was very hands on in his training methods; he would use his hands to adjust Noah’s stance, to show him which muscles he needed to use, he would stand behind the young Prince putting his arms around him so his hands would join his young student's on his sword as he ran him through movements he wasn’t getting. Noah was sure his tutor had no idea what he was doing to him. To have Phoenix's hands on him was torturous, to feel his body moving against him, Noah shivered at the memory. His mind had fallen hard and fast for this boy, and now it was becoming physical as well. Their time together after training, sitting under the tree, was just as painful. Phoenix told him about growing up in the village and about the father who had left them when he was still young. Noah shared his life behind the castle walls with his distant father and cold hearted step-Mother, his feelings and fears about his future. And still neither one mentioned the bonding.

Their friendship was strong and Noah knew it would break his heart when he had to perform the bonding ceremony next week, forever binding the man he loved to another.

 

Far from the castle, in the lower village, a common boy lay on his cot in the small hut he shared with his mother. Sleep was also eluding him. His mind continued to drift back the feel of his arms around the Young Prince. Phoenix hadn’t thought when the younger boy stumbled, he reached out to grab him on pure instinct. Before he knew what was happening Noah had been in his arms looking up at him and it had taken everything he had to refrain from pulling the young boy close and devouring him. Since they started meeting he had used every excuse he could come up with to touch him; adjusting his position, pointing out muscles, even sliding up against his back and gripping his hands around the sword moving their bodies together. He shook the thought from his head. In one week's time he would be assigned a mate, his Prince would stand before him and legally bind them together giving his blessings from the court. How could he have been so childish? Falling in love with the crown Prince, like some fluttery little girl. Phoenix sighed. He knew they could never be together, that one day even their friendship would end. And yet, when he had asked Phoenix to train him he couldn’t refuse. Spending that time alone with him every night, away from prying eyes, it had been the best month of his life and he was dreading the day he would have to give it up. But give it up he must, tomorrow night, he would tell the Prince there was nothing left to teach him. That they must call an end to their training. He would enjoy their last night together, but this could not continue. It was far too painful and unfair. Phoenix was too old for childish fantasies.

*

 

The next morning Prince Noah dressed in plain tunic ready to rush off to collect his new armor. Hoping to slip his guard as he did so. The young royal was not so lucky; he was stopped on his way out by his own father, King Ezio.

“Where are you off to so early my son?”

“Father, I was just…” The young boy sighed; guess the cat was out of the bag now. “I ordered some new armor. I was going to pick it up.”

“What is wrong with what you have?”

“Forgive me, Father, I do not mean to belittle the honor of your armor. But it does not fit well, and is getting old. I am 16 it is time I had my own.”

The King nodded once. “You are right. Let us be on our way.”

“Pardon?”

“I shall come with you. If you are to get new armor I wish to inspect it.”

Noah sighed again; there was no getting rid of him now. His Father was a strong and proud man. He wasn’t cruel, but he wasn’t exactly the affectionate type. He had high expectations for his young heir and he wasn’t gentle when Noah disappointed him. Noah glanced towards his Father and wondered how he could look so much like him and yet so different at the same time. They shared a slightly olive skin tone and dark, slightly curly hair. Noah also had his Father’s deep brown eyes and thin lips. But where his father was tall and solid, Noah was short for his age and rather skinny. Despite how often he trained.

The bell dinged as Prince and King stepped into the blacksmith shop.

Owen bowed low. “Your Highness! To what do I owe the great honor?”

“My son has informed me he has some new armor waiting. I wish to inspect it.”

“Yes, of course, M’Lord Ezio. Follow me into the back.”

With Noah in the lead the royals followed the blacksmith into the back of his shop. The boy was surprised by how quiet it was. Noah stopped when he saw the armor draped on the stand next to Phoenix’s table. The black metal gleamed in the fire light; he had never seen anything more beautiful. Except perhaps the craftsman himself. The detail was exquisite and obviously done with a steady hand. Blackened steel and dark leather gave it a sleek appearance and made it obviously lighter and more flexible. The leather straps were braided tight. No one in the kingdom had armour of black steel; it truly was one of a kind. His Father, stepping closer, carefully examined the armor without comment. Noah held his breath as he realized the pauldron was fashioned for a left handed fighter. It was a beautiful pauldron; it was three layers curved at the top and sloping to a narrow point like feathers. They would give the appearance of wings.

The King stepped back, his hands clasped behind his back and eyes slightly narrowed. “This work is unlike anything I have seen of yours before Owen.”

“That is because it is not mine.” The blacksmith replied carefully.

King Ezio squinted hard and pursed his lips. “Then who...?”

Phoenix stepped into the workroom through the backdoor. “It is mine.”

The King raised his eyebrows in surprise. “The apprentice? That would explain why you made it backwards.”

“I did not.” Phoenix spoke confidently.

“The pauldron...”

“Is where it should be, the Prince is left handed.”

The King scowled. “You dare speak out of turn!” He roared causing both Noah and Owen to flinch. Phoenix, however, remained still. “Speaking of the Prince in such a way. You are an insolent little punk!” He spat. Noah was proud his friend not only held his ground but kept his head up and face impassive in the King’s rage. But he wasn't going to allow him to bare punishment.

“Father. Do not scold him. I asked him to make it this way. You know as well as I do that I am not becoming the warrior a Prince should be. My sword feels more comfortable in my left hand, I have more control.”

The King stared at the apprentice a moment longer then turned to his son. He studied his face for a long time before heaving a great sigh. “Try it on then.”

Owen gestured for Phoenix to step forward and assist the Prince. The apprentice took a deep breath and wiped his hands clean on a towel before stepping in to help the Prince into his armour, explaining the pieces as he goes.

“My friend Grayson did the leather work. I have him working on leather pieces to complete the set, such as a breastplate and some cuffs, it will be lighter.”

The Young Prince nodded and suppressed a shiver as his friends strong hands moved expertly across his body, strapping him in.

"Lighter perhaps, but steel is safer." The King pointed out.

"Noa...The Prince, has a very small frame and his reach is not as far as many. His advantage lies in his speed and agility. Lighter armor is better for such strengths." Phoenix spoke as he continued to work, his voice was matter of fact, and the tone held no room for argument. He obviously knew what he was talking about. The King just nodded.

When the older boy stepped back Noah let out his breath.

“Well, move around, how does it feel?”

“Good. Comfortable.” He nodded. The armor was light and fit perfectly; it was a strange feeling to have armor that fit for once.

The King nodded and gestured for Phoenix to step away, which he did with a bow. Noah's Father walked around in a circle inspecting the armor. “This is very good work, what is your name boy?”

“I am called Phoenix, Sire.”

“Who is your father, Phoenix?” Noah shot a look over at his friend, who still stood solid.

“I have no Father, Sire.”

“Dead?”

“No Sir. He was banished.” Phoenix didn’t even hesitate and his voice was steady. Noah was sacred for his friend; the story of his father was one he kept close to the chest for a reason.

The King stopped and faced the boy, studying him closely, as if trying to decide if he cared to know more.

“And did he deserve it child?”

Again Phoenix spoke with confidence and without hesitation. “Yes Sire. He did. I do not mourn his loss.”

The King nodded, satisfied with the answer. “How long you left in your apprenticeship?”

Owen spoke up. “He will be matched next week. His education is complete, only age holds him as my apprentice. I will be sorry to lose him, but once he is matched he will be free to go on his own.”

King Ezio nodded again. "Fine work. Worthy. Let's see the sword."

Phoenix returned to his work table and picked up the sheathed sword. He gripped the leather tighter as he eyed the small set of daggers he had also fashioned for his friend. No, he would gift those to him tonight when they met, when they could be alone. He turned and presented the sheath to the Prince. Noah took the sheath and slowly pulled the sword free. The handle was polished black steel like his armour with a set of ruby red gems decorating it. The sword itself was shorter than he was used to, but felt light and balanced. He gave it a few swings.

"May I?" Phoenix asked with his hands out.

The Young Prince handed him the blade heel first. The older boy spun it twice and flipped it up into his hand so the blade and handle showed balance. The King nodded to the blade, satisfied with the balance. Noah also noticed his Father seemed intrigued by the way the common boy handled the blade. He flipped it again catching the handle in his hand and offering it back to the Prince sliding his hand along the cool steel. Noah took a deep breath and took his sword back. As little as he knew of weaponry, even he could tell Phoenix was a master at his art. He swallowed then asked the question he was scared to ask. "You marked it as your own work, as I requested?"

"Yes, m'Lord."

"Good." The Prince nodded and turned to his Father. “So, do you approve? Does his work meet your expectations? "

"Surpasses them. Keep it up and mayhaps we will have a position for you in the royal armoury. If you manage to curb that attitude of yours."

"You honour me with the compliment, your majesty." Phoenix bowed, and Noah couldn't help but feel pride for his friend.

 

When the royals left Owen beamed at his young apprentice.

"You should be very proud my boy, the King has given you a great compliment."

"Yes." Phoenix replied softly as he turned to clean his worktable.

"You do not seem too pleased."

"I have no wish to work in the castle."

"It would be a dream position."

"For some. I do not dream so big."

Owen nodded letting it drop. "Alright, let us get back to work. We have lots to do."

 
Copyright © 2017 LillyLee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I had been wondering what happened to this story.

 

Phoenix has created something very distinctive for Noah. Designed specifically for him as only someone very close to him could produce. Seemingly a parting gift before the Matching ceremony…

Link to comment

The imagery is extremely vivid, and the world you have built so far is intriguing and believable. The tension between the main characters feels electric. The dialogue flows perfectly. I am really enjoying this so far!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..