Jump to content
    LillyLee
  • Author
  • 1,483 Words
  • 2,878 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Prince - 3. Chapter 3

The next day Noah returned to the Blacksmith’s shop to check on Phoenix. Er.. rather Phoenix's progress. Unfortunately he didn’t manage to ditch the Guard assigned to babysitting duty today. The Captain's second in command, Lieutenant Landon, had stuck close. Landon questioned him as to why he was returning so soon to the Blacksmith shop, since he had his shield replaced only yesterday. The Young Prince only shrugged in response. He didn’t want anyone to know about the armor until it was ready.

Owen was in the front room cleaning and Noah could hear the hammer pounding in the back.

“Good day m’Lord.” He greeted the Prince with a slight bow.

“Owen, how is work?”

“Very busy. What can I do for you?”

Noah turned to his guard. “Wait for me outside.”

“But Sire…” The guard asked, obviously confused.

“Do not question me. Are you worried the old blacksmith is a threat to me?”

“No Sire…”

“Then go.”

The guard bowed low and left without another word. Noah turned back to Owen, “Is he busy? I would like to speak with him a moment.”

“He is working on your order. I take it you are not sharing the information yet?”

Noah shook his head. “I want it to be a surprise. I do not want people bothering him.”

“Go ahead, Prince. I will be busy out here for a while.”

Noah smiled in thanks and headed into the back room. He tried not to stare at the way Phoenix's biceps tensed with every swing of the hammer.

The older boy caught Noah in his eye and yelled over, “Give me a minute to finish this piece.”

Noah didn’t reply, he had no issues sitting back and watching him work. He slid onto a work table to wait.

After setting the piece of armor to cool Phoenix grabbed a towel and wiped the sweat off his face and neck. Noah looked away hoping the heat in his face wasn’t visible. The older boy slid onto the table next to him.

“Sorry I got distracted yesterday, did not even say good night.”

“Think not of it; you were so excited to get to work. I had an idea I wanted to run by you.”

“About your set?”

“Not exactly. I saw you running drills yesterday; you are very good with a sword. Perhaps… better than me. No, not perhaps, I have never seen anyone move like you.”

“You flatter me m’Lord,” he replied softly.

“Who have you trained with?”

“Only my father, before...well when he was around. And I watched the Guard training a lot, and the tournaments.”

“So you are mostly self-taught than?”

“I suppose.”

“I want you to train me.”

Phoenix's jaw dropped, “Me? I am nobody. You train with the best of the best. Besides, no one would allow it even if it was not a pointless idea.”

“Phoenix, if it was based on talent alone I would have you in my guard. I trust you as much as if not more than them, and your skill is undeniable.”

Phoenix slid of the table, “M’Lord...Noah, you can not be serious.”

“Understand, I am 16 this year, I have to start competing in those stupid tournaments and my Father expects me to win. I will not. I need help, and I can not think of anyone else who can do it. The Guard will not push me, they will not give it their all, and they are too scared to hurt me.”

“You want me to sneak around and train you, in such a way that may leave marks and bruises?”

“Yes. I know it is asking a lot, but if it makes you more comfortable if we get caught you can always say I ordered you to do it. I am the Prince after all.”

Phoenix hesitated. “I have never actually trained someone. And my experience against real people is minimal at best.”

“It would mean a lot to me, Phoenix, there is no one else I can ask.” The Prince looked down as he spoke.

The apprentice thought about it for a moment, it wasn’t that he didn’t want to help his friend. In fact, he would very much love to spend the extra time with him. He also wasn’t worried about himself getting in trouble. He simply didn’t know how he could help. With a nod to himself Phoenix decided. There was nothing to lose, even if he turned out to be a horrible training the Prince couldn’t exactly get worse. “It would be an honor, m’Lord, to train with you.”

Noah nodded, “Thank you Phoenix. I can meet you after sunset in the back field. We should not be interrupted there.”

“Then I will see you later tonight.”

 

*

 

Noah was surprised how easy it was to sneak out that night and make his way to the back field. He was nervous. Yesterday hadn't been the first time he had seen Phoenix handle a sword, but it made him seriously think about how skilled the young apprentice was. Noah had not been lying when he said he had never seen anyone handle a sword like Phoenix. Or about wishing he could have him on his Guard. The boy was strong, fast and skilled, but matter of birth made it impossible for him to get recognition for it. If Phoenix hadn’t been a blacksmith he would have been in trouble for even having a sword, let alone knowing how to use it. He knew it was a risk he had asked the older boy to take, and he hoped if it came down to it his word would be enough to protect him.

The streets were quiet as he made his way through them, his cloak hiding his face. When he arrived Phoenix was already there, swinging a sword around. Noah climbed over the fence and gave a low whistle catching his friend’s attention. Phoenix smiled wide when he saw him.

“You sure about this, Noah?”

“Yes.”

“Alright, then let me see what I have to work with. Draw your sword and attack me.”

“You are not wearing any armor.” The older boy was in a plain tunic and pants.

He looked down as if he just realized this fact, “Well, then I better hope I am as good as you think I am.” Noah laughed, the apprentice didn’t look worried.

Noah drew his sword and held it up in his right hand. Phoenix dropped his sword arm and tilted his head, “What are you doing?”

“Attacking you?”

“Put your sword in your other hand, Noah.”

“Why would I do that?”

“Because, you are left-handed.” Noah just stared. The apprentice sighed heavily “16 years old and you don’t even know you're left handed. That is why your swordsmanship has always been sloppy. I am sure your writing is atrocious.”

Noah looked down, “I am not an idiot, Phoenix, I know I am left handed. My Father told me that it is a mutation and as Crown Prince I must learn to overcome it. He is foolish, I know, but insistent.”

“That is foolish. Put your sword in your proper hand and face me.” Noah slipped the sword into his left hand and gave it a spin. It felt more natural, he had more control.

“Now then, let us get started.” The two boys faced off, swords lifted, and with the clash of steel they began.

After an hour of sparring and drills Noah’s arm ached. He had been right about Phoenix willing to push him. He knew he would have more than a few bruises where Phoenix had hit him with the flat of his sword. They collapsed next to each other and leaned against a tree, both breathing hard.

“You are not horrible, but you definitely need some work. You should be training your left arm Noah, build the strength. I think you were right about your Guard going easy on you though, your offence is better than your defense. No offence.”

“Think nothing of it. You are a beast, Phoenix. Even with my left arm.”

Phoenix smiled. “You should get back before someone notices you are missing. When would you like to meet again?”

“Tomorrow?”

“I suppose that will do, but if you are not feeling up to it just come by and let me know.”

Noah laughed. “You think I will not be?”

“You can not start missing training with the Guard, two sessions in one day are bound to tire you out fast.”

“You wield a hammer in a furnace all day and you do not seem to be having any problem.”

“I am used to manual labour. You, Noah, are still a prince.”

Phoenix meant it as a joke, but his friend frowned. It was a fact, but it didn’t mean he had to like it.

 
 
Copyright © 2017 LillyLee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..