Jump to content
    Fishwings
  • Author
  • 269 Words
  • 840 Views
  • 11 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Astronomical Dusk - 1. The Unburied Fossils

 

The Unburied Fossils

 

The forest air swells as the heat of the sun slips

through the chapped wings of the trees, down the scraggly fingers of the ferns,

slipping away down the quiet cracks of the earth.

Silently, the animals tread.

Footfalls of leather against root; leaden flesh and cold dust

moving forwards with calcified minds and hearts filled with neither

beating cells, nor rotting worms

but angry sparks manifesting the hollows of their chests,

For they are moving to transcend the nicks in their paths

to win a war against time.

In the light of the cold moon, their fur shines like silvery fire,

eyes brimming with so much starlight, teeth so keen and sharp that they fade into shadows

And they are ghosts, cantering through the night.

But their walks drag on

longer than the expected hours,

longer than days and fortnights; than years and centuries,

so by the time they've reached the edge of their forest, they lost the flames caged inside their hearts,

worn out the stink of resolve and death which encompassed them,

forgotten their names, their feathers and talons and whiskers,

their piercing howls, their chirps,

So that, soulless and bodiless, they were no longer ghost or animal but

 

echoes

 

which were, with a blast of heat from the welts between the roots,

swept away in the wind,

gliding away through the sleeping flowers and shivering mushrooms

to be breathed in by the shaking ferns and the rustling trees

as sunlight breaks again

through the fringe of the awakened horizon.

 

 

 

April 4th, 2010

 

em>A/N: Our air is ripe with the millenniums of long-lost species.
2013 by FishWings. All rights reserved. This story or any portion thereof including all related art may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever except with the express written permission of the author.
  • Like 2
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's really vivid and imaginative and pulsing with a sort of passion and energy that is very engaging. A really interesting piece: vibrant, challenging, different. Thanks for sharing.

Link to comment

For me your poem was all about the visual. For some reason I was reminded of the Dark Crystal and could only see the worn out creatures before they joined once again to be more. You get the sense that ages have come and gone and they travel on till the reason for everything is gone and the ghost almost blows out like a candle. Interesting imagery throughout it.

Link to comment

I got an emotion of remembrance as I was reading. An ode to a past glory, a bygone age, a lost legacy.

It is daunting when you pause to think of all we have lost!

Link to comment
On 04/20/2013 03:57 AM, joann414 said:
Very interesting and wonderfully written piece Fishey! :2thumbs:
Thank you Jo Ann, I am glad you think so.
Link to comment
On 04/20/2013 03:57 AM, carringtonrj said:
It's really vivid and imaginative and pulsing with a sort of passion and energy that is very engaging. A really interesting piece: vibrant, challenging, different. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you RJ. Back when I wrote it I was inspired by an environmental fantasy movie and I wanted to write something related to it. It's also a good breather from all the romance I usually write about.
Link to comment
On 04/20/2013 09:37 AM, Yettie One said:
I got an emotion of remembrance as I was reading. An ode to a past glory, a bygone age, a lost legacy.

It is daunting when you pause to think of all we have lost!

Yes, I agree. There are so many people, animals, plants, and things that have been forgotten as the years have past in order to make space for the new generations of our Earth. Thanks for stopping by, Rob.
Link to comment
On 04/20/2013 07:09 AM, W_L said:
Superb, broken for emphasis and uses meaning filled illustrations
Thank you W_L. I wanted to make this poem vividly visual as a means to transport the underlying meanings.
Link to comment
On 04/20/2013 06:50 AM, comicfan said:
For me your poem was all about the visual. For some reason I was reminded of the Dark Crystal and could only see the worn out creatures before they joined once again to be more. You get the sense that ages have come and gone and they travel on till the reason for everything is gone and the ghost almost blows out like a candle. Interesting imagery throughout it.
That is a very interesting interpretation. It definitely fits what I was trying to aim for in this poem. I was pretty inspired by some environmental focused animal films so that might have something to do with it. Thank you for stopping by.
Link to comment
Guest Arazon

Posted (edited)

.

Edited by Arazon
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..