Jump to content
    Fishwings
  • Author
  • 513 Words
  • 25,429 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I'm Not From Earth - 22. Twenty Two

t w e n t y t w o

Throughout the ride, nothing was relevant to Rover.

Growling from the engine, static voices next to his ear, bumps and booming basses outside; they all slid off him like mercury on ice. He couldn't see anything other than the persistent blanket of darkness in front of his eyes, could taste nothing except the harsh cloth wedged in his mouth, and could feel nothing but the smooth leather underneath his fingertips.

There was no fear, no anger, no disappointment. He was an empty shell, powerless, unsure to where the last reserves of his strength were supposed to be. Would that even matter? Rover's valiant attempt at freedom was torn asunder just like this. His father would make sure there would be no next time.

What was the point?

Soon, the neighbourhood grew quiet, and the limousine rolled to a halt. Doors clicked open, and Rover was pulled out, his arms twisted to his back, immobile except for his legs. He was marched, entering through doors, stumbling over thresholds.

The sudden coolness of the house.

He could feel the steam prints that his feet breathed as he climbed up the stairs, the calloused hands gripping into his shoulders. He could feel the vestiges of floating dust upon his cheeks and he could almost see the network of cables that suspended the platforms of rooms. And suddenly, he could feel the familiar weight of an invisible stone in his gut, tugging and tugging at his innards so that his chest shook with every step up. The clicks of the clock in his room, the gentle peals of the leaking pipe downstairs, the howls of wind outside all reached his ears, stirring memories that would never leave his head.

The ironic familiarity of a home that Rover refused to claim as his.

The million dollar chrome chandelier, the silver plated fireplace, the antiques and priceless sculptures -- all of those luxuriances were meaningless to Rover, because everything else here was wrong. Why couldn't he have figured that out ten years ago? Why couldn't he have figured that out earlier? Why couldn't he have predicted this oppression right after his mother died?

Rover was halted, and his blindfold and gag were pulled away.

The rush of light momentarily dazed him, but his vision focused quickly for the room wasn't that bright.

His father's study was never bright. The only source of light came from the licking flames of the fireplace, washing the white walls with deep reds and oranges. A fire unfit for summer, but fit for the coldness of the house. Here swam the old and worn atmosphere of Rover's childhood memories, once so full of love and life, but now, it was nothing but a mirage of hell. The torrent of conflagrant light carved his father's sitting figure into an imposing silhouette.

It was nothing more than a shadow, coming to haunt Rover.

Spreading his arms like a raptor preparing to slaughter its prey, the shadow stood up, and opened his mouth to speak.

*

Copyright © 2011 Luc Rosen; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..