Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 1,170 Words
  • 1,938 Views
  • 31 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Only Prompts - 24. After the Past - a vignette

You can find the original full length story here After the Past
This little prompt piece contains spoilers.

The dark bay horse cropped the sweet grasses that grew between the trees in the apple orchard. Now and again he’d root out an apple which had been missed by the group of very thorough pickers.

Terry smiled at the horse as he climbed the ladder he’d leaned against one of the trees. He carried a small saw and shears, which were attached to his belt, leaving his hands free.

Putting down one of the pumpkins he’d selected from the communal pumpkin patch, Dave ran towards his husband. He hopped the small fence that separated the patch from the orchard. “Jesus, Terry! What are you doing?”

Halfway up the ladder, the other man stopped. “Dave, geez, I’m just going to trim this tree back some. It’s getting too tall.”

“I realize, but …” Dave stopped and sucked in air. “You know we shouldn’t be doing dangerous stuff alone. You should have someone to hold the ladder.”

“I’m three feet off the ground! The worst that could happen is a bruised ass.”

Dave took hold of the ladder with both hands. “I happen to enjoy your ass unbruised, thanks very much. Okay, go ahead with whatever you’re going to do.”

Terry grinned and removed the saw from his belt and began to saw off strategic branches. After several minutes he returned the saw to his belt and started down. After dismounting the ladder, he turned and found himself in his husband’s arms.

“Mmm, this is nice.”

The men kissed.

“Let’s grab the pumpkins, load the branches in the cart and go home.” Dave dropped his hands to Terry’s behind. “I want this, as it’s still unbruised.”

“You promised me a romantic picnic in the orchard, Dave.”

“We can have a picnic in bed, at home.”

Terry gazed at the horse. “I think Mersey is enjoying himself. He isn’t ready to go home.”

Dave laughed. “Fine, I’m outvoted, I guess. Let’s eat.” Dave pulled their picnic basket from the cart, along with a blanket. “Here, babe, can you spread this out?”

“Yeah.” Terry unfolded the blanket and held it until it settled to the ground.

In the near distance they could hear dogs baying. Dave glanced up from unpacking their food. “What do you think the hellions have found?”

Terry grinned as he reached for a sandwich. “Rabbits, probably.”

“You had to bring back hounds.” Dave chewed his sliced tomato and cheese sandwich.

“They were puppies. Cute, round. Who knew they would grow up to be labra-hounds!”

“Houndradors.”

“I like yours best.” Terry laughed. He wrinkled his nose. “Sorry, these are a bit dry.”

Dave took a sip from a repurposed wine bottle. “That’s why we have water. And you know, in our world without gasoline, or plastic, we need to just enjoy all that we are lucky enough to have.”

“Yeah, there’s a lot to be grateful for.”

The pair sat in silence for a few minutes.

“Dave?”

“Mmm?”

“I was thinking. Our community has grown. What do you think about starting our own communal Thanksgiving? I was thinking about bringing it up at the next meeting.”

Dave smiled. “That’s a great idea. It’s a new world; we don’t need to live by old rules anymore. Yeah. Something that brings us all together. We can cook and eat together in the hall.” He leaned over to kiss his husband. “I love it.”

Terry return the kiss. “Thanks. I appreciate that.”

Suddenly, their picnic was chaos as their two dogs returned. Tongues lolled, a sandwich was stolen and the pair ran off with their ill-gotten goods.

“Hey! Dogs!” Dave turned to watch them run. “They are terrors.”

Terry had been laughing the whole time. “Oh, my god. What shits!”

Dave righted the fallen water bottle and shared half of the last rescued sandwich with Terry. “Mmm, this one is nice. This pâté is really good, babe.”

“Thanks. I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Eat it, cuz we can’t keep it.”

“So, will that be for dinner too?”

Terry laughed. “Well, we could, or we can feed it to the dogs.”

Dave sipped some water. “Ah, yes, I’m sure the houndadors will not turn their noses up at your pâté.”

“Dave?”

“Yeah, babe?”

“It sucks not having refrigeration.”

“Yes, it does.” Dave eyed his husband. “Where is this going?”

Well, I’d like to borrow a couple of Dad’s drays and maybe go down into the city and see what kind of solar equipment I could find.”

Dave’s heart hitched as he remembered Jae leaving so many years before. His face showed anguish as he replied, “Terry … I don’t think this is a good idea. Not alone.”

“So, then come with me. We’ll bring the dogs, your rifle, there can’t that many people in the cities anymore.” Terry reached for Dave’s hand. “It’s not the same, Dave.”

“I know. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t think of him. Not when I am married to you.”

Terry shuffled closer. “I get it, babe. You loved him. I know it hurt. That’s why I want you to come with me. Together we’ll be safe.”

“Who will look after the farm?”

This was always a huge issue. Most people had farms and couldn’t drop their own work to help a neighbour.

Terry squinted. “Jack Robert’s son is nineteen years old. I heard him talking lately, about how he’d like to prove to his dad he can handle things.”

Dave was quiet for a few moments. “Jack is a good man. Donny is too. How long do you think we’ll be gone?”

“Oh, not more than a couple weeks. Harvesting is done. He’d only need to look after the chickens and the animals.” Terry picked up an oatmeal cookie. “He can sleep at ours or just come over.”

Dave closed his eyes for a moment and then sat up. “I don’t like it. I really don’t.”

Terry put his hand on his husband’s thigh. “I know. I’m asking a lot. Look, why don’t you just stay home? I’ll take one of the dogs and my rifle. It should be fine.”

“No way in hell that is gonna happen, Terry. Your dad would murder me first, then your step-mother, and then your brother!” Dave stared at the ground and drew his fingers over a blade of grass. “Okay, we’ll borrow a team from Barry and I’ll ride Mersey.” Raising his eyes, they seared into his husband’s. “But one thing … I will not take chances, if I say we go … then we fucking go.”

“Okay. I promise, Dave.” Terry smiled. He leaned over to kiss his man. The gentle peck became more. Terry drew back. “I, um. I think you were right.”

Dave pressed down on his uncomfortable erection. “Was I? About what?”

“About going home.”

Dave grinned. “I’ll hitch Mersey. You can deal with packing this, right?”

“Yes, I can.” Terry picked up the basket. “Don’t forget our pumpkins!”

Laughing, Dave caught Mersey’s halter. “Come on, my friend. Let’s make some tracks for home.”

 

the end

Thanks to @AC Benus for reading and editing this short piece. muah xo
Thanks to all who read it. It was inspired by @comicfan prompt:
Prompt 790 - Creative
Tag - List of words
Use the following words in a story - a pumpkin, an apple orchard, a bottle of wine, a picnic basket, and a horse.
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I was thrilled to get to read more about Mersey – and Dave & Terry!
;–)

I’ll be happy to get any morsels you might be inspired to write in the future!
;–)

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

I enjoyed this return to the original story. It was wonderful. Thank you! 

Thanks very much Parker ... i read the prompt and just saw it ... thanks for your comments xox

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I was thrilled to get to read more about Mersey – and Dave & Terry!
;–)

I’ll be happy to get any morsels you might be inspired to write in the future!
;–)

The prompt inspired me, so you never know. It was nice writing about old friends. Thanks, for reading and your comments, droughtquake. xoxo

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

The prompt inspired me, so you never know. It was nice writing about old friends. Thanks, for reading and your comments, droughtquake. xoxo

I hope you noticed who got top billing in my Comment!
;–)

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I hope you noticed who got top billing in my Comment!
;–)

i did notice that!  i thought of you a lot while i write this little piece! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i did notice that!  i thought of you a lot while i write this little piece! 

If the hell-hounds had been Weimaraners, they could have been blue-gray…
;–)

Link to comment

It was nice seeing these characters again. I enjoyed this "slice of life" piece, and I had to go back and reread the original story. Great use of the prompt words.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..