Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Finding Salvation in the Dark - 9. Revelations

Er...sorry for not getting these up earlier!! We were kinda busy with our other stuff!

Elena looked around with a pleased smile, her long green gown clinging to every curve and the chiffon at the neck of the back catching the light. The ballroom was perfect; she'd have to make certain Darius did something nice for the staff in thanks. That would hopefully help raise him in their esteem as well.

The ballroom was decorated with several small tables off to one side. The suits of armor had been pushed back against the wall and several tables brought in laden with all manner of edibles. Of the three tables, one contained every fruit in season and several trays of crudités – carrots, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, and broccoli. Another table held several types of meats and side dishes, all of which smelled delicious. The final table boasted several bottles of red and white wine, four bottles of fae wine, juice, soda and two ornate containers that held what she suspected to be blood wine for the vampires in the party.

Along the walls and draped over several columns were strings of vines and flowering greenery. Overall, it looked like an enchanted bower and Elena knew that Antonin and Alexander would be pleased. Giving her thanks to Reeve, she made her way downstairs to her adopted sons' bedroom and knocked.

Opening the door, Lin smiled brightly at Elena, tilting his head to the side. "Hey there. I'm just helping Alexander get into his dress. Do come on in," he said, stepping back to show Alexander standing in the middle of the room in a colorful outfit, holding the strings to a half corset.

"Hi, Elena. How are you? Everything good?" Alexander asked, watching her as Lin came back over and continued to put the corset on him, tying it off quickly before attaching the rest of his outfit with swift movements.

"Ki should be here with the belt and my present to Antonin," Lin warned, looking out the window from his spot.

"Oh child, you look beautiful," she crooned as she made her way over to where Alexander stood. "Lin, this is a masterpiece! The colors are gorgeous and I love the details."

"Thank you. I got a hold of a friend who owns a clothing business. I put the order in the moment I got a text from Alexander," Lin said, smiling brightly. "All that is left is for the belt. Ki is to bring that since he had to do some finishing touches on it."

There was something in his eyes that made Elena want to hug Lin, something that spoke of loneliness despite his happiness for his friends. She gave him a gentle smile and said, "Cyril should be here soon as well. Apparently, he's coming straight here from his last assignment." She wrinkled her nose slightly and said, "I can only hope this one wasn't anything like his last."

Shaking her head she changed the subject. "Has Antonin seen this?"

"Not yet," Alexander replied, shaking his head and getting his hair tugged by Lin who was playing with it. "Lin shoved him out saying it was a surprise and he needed to help me get into it."

Lin just snickered as he put a bit more hair up into an odd twisted bun. "I need you to get into the dress, not out of it," he said, putting the last bobby pin into place.

Elena laughed and said, "That means you haven't seen Antonin yet either, have you Alexander?"

"Nope," he said, shrugging his shoulders. "I have a feeling that I would pounce if I could."

"Ki is here. So is someone else," Lin said suddenly, seeing two vehicles pull up to the door as he peeked out the window.

"That's my cue," Elena said. "Cyril is likely to give Reeve a bit of a scare," she added as she headed for the door. "I'm not certain what it is about Carpathians. They have this… aura or something that seems to overwhelm most mortals." She opened the door, stepped out and added with a wicked wink in Lin's direction, "Most immortals as well." Then she closed the door and was gone.

Tilting his head, Lin blinked before looking at Alexander, saying "Did she just wink at me?"

"Yes."

Downstairs, Ki stepped out of his light green car, tossing his low ponytail over his shoulder before straightening his sleeveless top, the dark blue and red veining glinting slightly in the darkness. Smiling at the hired valet, he handed him the car keys before getting into his back seat and grabbing a long box and then a smaller box before heading to the doorway.

Cyril stepped out of the low slung Stingray, the lights in the drive gleaming on his white hair and making the leather and velvet outfit he wore seem darker in comparison. The biker boots on his feet made a solid sound on the walk as he headed up the steps, eyes raking over the amethyst haired figure already at the door.

Elena reached the door at the same moment as Reeve and put a hand on his arm to stop him. "Let me answer this time dear. Cyril can be a bit… awe inspiring on first meeting," she said.

Reeve raised a brow but nodded, well used to Elena's little eccentricities, and made his way back to the kitchens.

Juggling the packages, Ki looked to the side and blinked, seeing Lin leaning out a window, waving at him.

"Ki! The moment you step inside, get over here with that belt," Lin called to him as Ki waved back to him, unable to speak due to the sheer power and presence of the other male. His hair alone could be considered blinding when Ki had turned to look at him. Shaking his head, he knocked on the door, nearly losing his boxes, catching them just in time.

Elena opened the door to see two people standing there, one of them the male she'd been expecting. "You must be Ki," she greeted with a smile. "I'm Elena, and the giant looming over you is Cyril," she continued, shooting a wicked grin at Cyril. She stepped back and said, "Come in," noting the vertical lines adorning his face but deciding to discuss the matter with him later.

Cyril waited for the man before him to go first, a small frown on his face at Elena's words. She knew he hated to be called 'giant'. He wasn't much taller than Darius and was the same height as Antonin and she would never explain why she called him that.

Nodding, Ki stepped into the home, his blue eyes taking in everything before looking at Elena and then at Cyril. Blinking a few times, he blushed before turning to see Lin run down the hall in an outfit somewhat close to his, but in a fading pattern and with smaller boots.

"Ki! Please say that's the belt. Antonin is pouting at me, even though he denies it," Lin said, skidding slightly to a stop, looking up at his friend.

"Of course, Lin. Do you need help?" Ki asked, his voice smooth and smoky.

Elena laughed at that. "It's because you won't let him see his Consort. Of course he's pouting," she teased.

Cyril spoke for the first time then, voice rumbling up from his chest, "Someone has managed to deny Antonin something he wants and still lives to tell of it?"

"He hurts me, Alexander will make him sleep on the couch for the next 10 years," Lin said, smiling innocently as Ki tried to keep his laughter quiet.

"Come on, little flower, show me the room and we will help the little sunflower into his belt," Ki said finally, his eyes sparkling in mirth.

Lin nodded and grabbed the small box before grabbing Ki's hand and dragging him off.

"It was a pleasure to meet you, Elena-san, Cyril-san," Ki called back over his shoulder before they disappeared.

Cyril turned to Elena then and sighed. "It would seem that more of your kin have joined the family. Will there be any vampires left?" he wondered out loud. He was teasing her; he loved Elena – nearly as much as he'd loved his own mother – and she knew it.

Shaking her head at him she said, "Come. Let's go find Antonin and soothe his nerves. Although once he sees his lover I'm sure he'll be fine. And you can use the time to tell me why your scars are visible," she said, sliding her arm through the elbow Cyril held out to her as she led him to the ballroom upstairs.

Laughing softly, Lin tugged Ki into the room, where they quickly set Alexander up with his belt and finishing touches. Nodding, they both wished him luck and headed out, leaving Alexander to come in last.

Slipping into the ball room, Lin walked up to Antonin and smiled. "He'll be here in a moment unless you want to meet him on the way," Lin said. "Oh and this is my main jeweler, oldest protector and wonderful friend, Ki. Ki, this is Alexander's mate, Antonin." Ki bowed before holding out his hand.

"It's nice to finally meet you," he said.

Antonin smiled at Ki, a hint of fang flashing. "Ki," he said. "I've heard quite a bit about you. It's good to finally meet you," he added. Turning to Cyril he continued, "This is my brother in blood Cyril Alexander Banik. Cyril, Ki and Lin, two of Alexander's closest friends."

"We've met," Cyril said, eyes glancing at Lin before returning to linger slightly on Ki. There was something about the man that drew him and he had yet to figure out what it was.

Blushing lightly, Ki poked Lin's side, causing the small male to squeak and smack at his hand. "No laughing at me," he hissed softly, getting a cheeky smile just as a slightly blushing Reeve showed Alexander into the room.

Alexander was dazzling under the mixture of low lights and flickering candles, the colors dancing and swaying with every step. Lin just beamed, ecstatic with the effect that the dress had while worn by Alexander.

Antonin had been about to question Cyril concerning the look in his eyes when Cyril spoke to Ki, but his own eyes were caught by his mate's entrance into the room. The gown was glorious; it was a long ballroom dress with diaphanous sleeves that flared and trailed at the ends and a small under-bust corset.

The skirt was wide and embroidered with flowers in two lines down the front and leaves all over the skirt. It had a bustle that was transparent and wrapped around Alexander's slim waist and the entire thing was done in varying colors of purple and blue. Trailing behind him were wings; a set of four beautiful fairy wings in purple and blue.

Forgetting about the people he had been speaking with almost entirely, Antonin handed the glass he'd been holding to Cyril and made his way over to Alexander. "You look…" he began once he reached him. He trailed off, unable to find a word that suited.

Smiling at his lover, Alexander turned in place, showing off the dress to perfection. Looking over the other man, Alexander took in the white jacket that hugged Antonin's body, the white shirt beneath and the pants that teased what was underneath. The silver embroidery was beautiful and went so well with his eyes.

Alexander moved forward and smoothed his hands down over Antonin's shoulders. “You look pretty yummy yourself,” he teased quietly. “Lin did a wonderful job with my outfit. The entire thing is customized, including the belt,” he continued, showing the piece with a smile. “I still love your outfit. It makes me wonder what’s under it, even though I already know.”

A slow smile pulled at Antonin's lips then and he ducked his head to claim Alexander's mouth, gently teasing his lips apart so he could slide his tongue inside to taste properly.

Elena and Darius looked on with fond smiles while Cyril watched with some amazement. He'd never seen his brother this at ease, this comfortable with someone; definitely not enough to forget he had guests. Antonin had always been the picture of decorum and to see him behaving this way was… enlightening. He turned his gaze to his adoptive parents and raised a brow, only to get nods of confirmation in response. It seemed this was something they had paid witness to as well, and often, before he arrived.

Turning a bright red, Ki covered his face with his hand and just shook his head, a few memories coming to the surface of his now long dead lover.

Lin looked over and leaned against his side, offering comfort.

Ki smiled down at him before looking up, seeing Alexander slowly pull away from the kiss.

"We have guests that we should pay attention to," Alexander said against Antonin's lips.

"We do," Antonin agreed, although all he wanted at that moment was to go back to their room. "Come meet my brother," he added, taking a deep breath and sliding his arm around Alexander's waist.

Cyril had watched the entire thing in amazement, glancing at Lin and Ki in time to catch the subtle shift between their bodies. Something inside him growled and he frowned. Why was he reacting this way? Ki didn't belong to him; he had no reason for the surge of possessive anger he could feel sliding along his skin.

Watching Cyril with laughing eyes, Alexander smiled and hugged Lin and then Ki before hugging Cyril and then moving onto Elena and Darius, getting a giggle out of Darius's reaction. The older vampire still wasn't used to getting hugs spontaneously.

"Thank you all for coming to this party to celebrate with us," he said finally, standing next to Antonin. Ki tugged on Lin's hair, dodging out of the way of the swats easily, causing Alexander to laugh at their antics.

Cyril blinked, the shock of being touched in such a manner freezing him still. He had no time to respond before Alexander was hugging Elena and he was mildly comforted by the fact that Darius didn't immediately return the affectionate embrace either. He looked to Ki and Lin and was surprised to feel a smile attempting to form on his lips. Frowning, he turned to the table holding the liquid refreshment and poured himself a glass of wine, wishing it were something stronger.

Antonin watched them all with a small smile on his face, frown forming as he saw Cyril move abruptly towards a table. He followed his brother and laid a hand on his shoulder, lowering his voice so only Cyril could hear his question. "Is something wrong?" he asked. "I noticed your scars. Have you not fed recently, or is it something else?" He knew Cyril well enough to know his markings showed only when he was under a great deal of emotional stress or when he hadn't fed properly.

Cyril sighed and answered just as quietly as Antonin had spoken. "Blood tastes… it has no flavor save for ash. Darius believes it is because I've gone too long without claiming a mate but I have yet to meet anyone who brings about any sort of reaction."

Antonin chuckled softly. "Correct me if I'm wrong Cyril, but you experienced one tonight, didn't you? With Ki?"

Cyril turned to face Antonin then, a frown on his brow. "How could you tell?"

Antonin smirked at him. "Your eyes changed color," he said, "when you saw Lin press against him. I saw it when Alexander and I turned to face the room." He tilted his head and said, "Perhaps you should speak with him."

Cyril turned to look at Ki once more as he brought the glass of wine to his lips and said, "Perhaps."

"He lost his lover some time ago," Antonin said, wanting to see his brother happy. Cyril was three times his age; if he had truly gone this long with no mate then maybe that was what he needed. "His last lover was a vampire, so I do not believe he would be adverse to your attention."

"Match making?" Cyril asked sardonically.

"Yes," Antonin replied simply. "Why shouldn't I?" he questioned before smiling at his brother and walking away, drawing both Lin and Alexander's attention once he reached the three playful men.

Alexander smiled as Ki excused him self with a slight bow, heading for the wine, seeing there were a couple bottles of cherry Fae wine. With blue eyes bright, he poured some into a glass before leaning one hip against the table. Lifting the cup his lips, he sniffed it delicately before sipping it, nearly purring at the taste, the sound on the sexual side. He pushed off the table before gathering the small box and walking back to the other three, feeling Cyril's gaze on him.

"Antonin-san, as you know, since Lin told me that Alexander has explained to you, my lover left me his fangs when he died. This is the matching set to Alexander's items. They were both split into two pieces and then made into a protection set," he said, handing the box over with a smile. "I know you will keep both Alexander and the set safe for eternity. May your life be blessed," he finished.

"Ah, the gift for the Moon Lovers," Antonin said with a smile, remembering his conversation with Lin. He gave Ki a small bow and said, "Thank you. I will treasure, and keep safe the remains of the one you held dear."

He cut his eyes to Cyril, then looked back at Ki, a smile forming on his lips as he added, "I hope you will not be alone for too long." He couldn't help it; he was happy, in love and he wanted the same for everyone around him.

Cyril rolled his eyes at Antonin's antics and watched both Ki and Alexander to see what their reactions would be.

With red dusting his cheeks again, Ki smiled gently and nodded, bowing again.

Alexander smiled brightly and tugged on the bow on top of the box, watching it fall away. Stealing the ribbon he twisted it around his hair, tucking it into the hair ties that helped hold his hair in place.

Moving to the side, Ki waited for Antonin to open the box, and discover the others inside. One held an anklet that would grow to the correct size once it was put on for the first time and the other held a necklace that could become a chocker or a tattoo during a fight depending on the person.

Elena and Darius moved closer, watching as the smaller packages inside the main box were revealed. Antonin took the longer one and handed the smaller to Alexander, and together they opened the remaining gifts. Antonin met Ki's eyes and asked, "Were they intended specifically for either of us?"

"This set is for you. When worn, the protection spells protect the person that they were given to. Alexander has his own set," Ki replied, smiling brightly.

"You've seen my anklet. I have a necklace made of twisted gold and silver with half of my fang," Alexander said, holding up the small box, showing Antonin the anklet, little birds as charms along with the teeth.

Antonin nodded, then bowed to Ki once more. "Thank you. You honor me."

Cyril watched the entire exchange with narrowed eyes. Just how did a fae manage to split the fangs of a vampire? He remembered then that the vampire had been Ki's lover and frowned. How had he died? Who had attacked him and how had Ki survived?

Bowing, Ki smiled sadly. "You're welcome. Damious...would have liked you. He was a very strong vampire, but a very loving man. I'm just glad that his request has been fulfilled. I can...put my heart at ease now."

Beside Alexander, Antonin froze. Darius' arm tightened around Elena's waist enough to make her gasp and Cyril all but dropped his glass.

"Damious Rachiael was your lover?" Darius asked quietly. His voice held an edge that those in the room save Elena, Antonin and Cyril had never heard before.

"Yes, he was," Ki replied, turning to Darius and blinking a few times. "I was with him for nearly 40 years before he asked me to mate with him. The night we were to go through the Presentation, he was attacked and killed." His voice took on a sad tilt to it, his eyes darkening in remembrance.

Lin hugged him around his waist.

Cyril growled, Darius snarled and Antonin stepped free from Alexander, pushing him behind him. "Elena," he said quietly but firmly, "I think it would be best to take Lin and Alexander into the chamber adjoining the ballroom. Darius, Cyril, Ki and I have Council business to discuss."

"What? Did he do something wrong?" Ki asked softly, watching Lin and Alexander leave, blinking several times, before nibbling his bottom lip in worry. His lover had never told him what he had done for the council beyond being a protector.

Antonin waited until he knew for certain that Elena, Lin and Alexander were gone before he answered. "Let me ask once more. Damious Rachiael, Head of the Family of Knights, Second Childe of Samiel, Seventh borne of Lilith, Praesul Presul of the Lands of the Mother, was to be your mated?"

"I suppose. He never told me anything beyond his name and that he was a protector," Ki said, blinking several times in surprise. "He promised that he would tell me everything after we officially bonded. I still have his portrait in my home. Lin's grandmother painted it for us, when she was still a child."

Darius turned and stalked to the window, Cyril immediately following and placing a comforting arm over his adopted Sire's shoulder. Antonin watched them with sad eyes and asked a question he really didn't want to ask. "Ki," he began softly, "would you mind if Darius entered your mind? We need to see the image of the man you loved."

Shaking his head, Ki tilted his head to Darius and blinked a few times. "I don't mind. Just...don't dig any deeper than what I show you please. My mind has traps that can be dangerous to anyone," he admitted. "I've had a few hundred years to set them up."

Antonin gave him a strained smile and said, "Darius is near three thousand years old and is well versed in the art of traveling a mind. He will not go any deeper than required." He turned to Darius then and addressed him in a way he did only at Court. "Sire, we have need of you."

Darius slowly turned and moved toward them, Cyril's hand falling from his shoulder. His eyes glowed bright blue in the light and his face – if possible – was paler than normal. "Be still and allow me entry," he whispered, then delved into Ki's mind. Seconds later he pulled back, an anguished howl leaving his lips.

Antonin moved to wrap his arms around his Sire while Cyril moved to stand in front of Ki; neither sure of what might happen if Darius lost control of his power.

Elena came running into the room from the small chamber on the side then, immediately making her way to her mate and wrapping her arms around him. Antonin let go and nodded to Cyril, and the two of them took one of Ki's arms in a gentle grip and moved him away from their Sire.

Blinking a few times, Ki wiped his eyes, knowing that Darius had seen not only his last memory of his lover but the preparations for his Presentation. Patting down his outfit, he pulled out a soft blue cloth and gently wiped his eyes, the memories bittersweet. He waited for the explanation that he knew was coming.

Antonin took one look at Cyril and knew he'd have to do the talking. "Ki, your lover held an important role in vampire society. He was my Sire's brother, and one of Cyril's mentors. The lands he protected belonged to the mother to us all; vampire, shifters, incubi, succubae, the list goes on. It was known he planned to take a mate, but not whom or where that mate was. His sire, Samiel was also killed that night, so we had no knowledge of how he died or who killed him."

He glanced at Cyril and frowned slightly; his brother was not handling this well, and he wondered what this would mean for the attempt to match Ki with his brother. "Cyril is Venator of the Council, their… executioner if you will. Part of his duty is to hunt rogue vampires like the one who killed your mate, so he will need to speak with you in detail about what happened. Can you do that?"

Nodding, Ki looked down and made a soft noise of surprise, seeing a few stones sitting at his feet. Kneeling down, he gently picked them up before standing. "I haven't cried gems in decades. Not since I found Damious," he said softly, looking at the gold and silver swirled stones in his hand. "It's not often a fae will cry these; only during highly emotional times," he explained, seeing the curious looks.

Antonin nodded, drawing Ki's attention away from Cyril's face and the bright red tears leaking from his eyes as he spoke, "You are welcome within my home whenever you have need of shelter. I will have Reeve prepare a room for you," he continued, "and if you like, Alexander can stay with you."

Cyril took the time Antonin spoke to discreetly wipe at his face with a frown. He knew that had he been feeding properly his control over what emotion he possessed would be better, and he frowned at the evidence on his hand that screamed at that lack.

"It is alright; I will be fine alone," Ki said lowly, nodding in acceptance of the room. "I can do the interview when ever Cyril-san is willing to do it, just, after a shower. I need to relax a bit," he finished.

Antonin nodded and stepped back. He turned to Cyril and asked, "You will stay?"

Cyril nodded, carefully keeping his face averted from Ki. "I have no new assignments or need to be in any specific place. The Council has the means to contact me if they need me."

Antonin looked over to where Darius and Elena were and noticed them leaving the ballroom. "I'll be right back," he said. "I should fetch Alexander, and give Lin some sort of explanation."

Looking over at the others, Ki nodded before moving to the drink table, grabbing the bottle of cherry fae wine. Pouring it with a slightly shaky hand, he put it aside before leaning against the table, warming the wine with a bit of power. Sipping the now hot beverage, he let the warmth relax his body.

The moment that Alexander and Lin walked in they rushed over to him, asking if he was alright. They both knew what had happened to Damious and were worried about what Ki was feeling. He smiled sadly at them and told them he was fine.

Antonin walked over to his brother and enveloped him in a hug. Cyril responded – used to hugs from his family – and sighed softly.

"What is it?" Antonin asked.

"This evening has been filled with surprises," Cyril answered, eyes straying to Ki before he brought them back to Antonin.

"Cyril," Antonin began only to be cut off.

"Do not. He was to be mated to my mentor and our sire's brother. He was not… he is not meant for me. I will not pursue him."

"But…"

"No. I will not… I cannot dishonor what he shared with Damious with whatever it is I am feeling. Say no more, or I will leave once I have spoken with him."

Antonin sighed and nodded. He knew full well that once Cyril got like this there was no changing his mind and could only hope the Fates would step in. The connection he sensed between the two men made him hope, as he understood the danger Cyril faced if he did not find a mate soon. Antonin hugged Cyril once more and made his way to Alexander, needing the reassurance and comfort contact with his mate would give.

Cyril looked at them all for a moment before going to the table and retrieving a bottle of blood wine. He hoped the fact it was mixed with wine would make it palatable, at least enough for him to keep it down. With one last glance at Ki, he left the ballroom and headed for the quiet peace of Antonin's gardens.

Smiling up at his lover, Alexander stroked Antonin's hand with one of his own before turning to Ki. "Do you want to be shown to your room?" he asked.

Ki nodded and smiled at them. "I'm terribly sorry about all this. If I had known who you were, I would have told you. I can tell you the man who did this to Damious and his sire was quite cursed. I lost my temper and made it so that the only way he could die was if some one of Damious' strength or stronger was able to kill him," Ki admitted lowly. "I think that I need to relax for now though."

Antonin drew Alexander to rest against him and nodded. "The council chose Damious as a mentor for Cyril despite the fact Cyril was older because they wanted him to have every advantage available to a Hunter," he said softly. "He admired and respected your lover a great deal." He noticed Reeve hovering at the door and nodded to the man before he turned to them all once more and said, "Reeve will show you to your room, Ki. Lin, you are welcome to stay as well."

"Thank you," Lin said, the two Fae bowing to Antonin.

"If you'll excuse me," Ki said, bowing again before following Reeve out the door. Once at his room, he asked if he could get some crackers, cheese and a small selection of fruit. Soon, he was drying his hair, watching it go from straight to curly, his food plate empty and the bottle of fae wine nearly half way empty. Finding the clothes that someone had brought him, he tugged on the loose pants and shirt, before padding out into the garden, the house silent around him.

Antonin watched them leave and smiled sadly at Alexander. "I'm afraid I won't be much company for you tonight, Little Bird. Do you mind if we simply lay together for a while?"

"I don't mind, lover," Alexander said softly, nuzzling close. "Let's go try and take a bath hum? Perhaps we'll actually finish this one."

Lin chocked on the cracker that he had been eating, overhearing that comment. "I'm going to my room now," he squeaked, walking off with Reeve, shaking his head at the rather naughty thoughts that invaded his mind.

Antonin and Alexander followed behind them both, laughing softly at the expression on Lin's face as he left.

*~*~*

Finding a tree to settle under, Ki lay back on the ground, blowing an errant curl out of his face. Looking up at the sky, he blinked a few times before sighing quietly.

Having gotten bored with sitting still, Cyril began to roam the gardens. He loved this part of Antonin's home the best; it was peaceful and soothing in its own way. It didn't, however, stop his thoughts from returning to Ki and he took another large swing of the blood wine in response to the direction his thoughts insisted on going.

He groaned at the image of dark blue eyes filled with pain and took another drink from the bottle in his hand; grateful beyond measure the wine disguised the taste of the blood. He lifted a hand to his face and ran it over his eyelids and cheeks, feeling the scars receding the more he drank.

Sitting up before standing, Ki scratched his head, causing the curls to bounce and catch the moonlight. His mind had taken a turn towards Cyril and the way the vampire had made his body flush hot with desire. That hadn't happened since he had meet Damious. He was very lucky that he could control his smell. Letting his shields down, he let his natural scent mingle with the sweet air around him before slowly stretching, pausing as a noise caught his attention.

Cyril rounded the slight bend in the path he'd been following, eyes on the pond, when a sweet smell caught his nose. He sniffed softly – much like a dog with a new scent – then turned his head in the direction of the odor and gasped. It was Ki, more relaxed than he'd been before in what looked to be comfortable clothing and his hair free. That was the biggest shock of all; his hair flowed down his back in soft curls and Cyril's breath caught as he stared in surprise at the object of his last thoughts.

Turning around at the soft gasp, Ki flushed brightly as his eyes went wide, trying hard to keep the squeak from escaping his lips. Cyril looked much different then he did earlier, but not by much. His scars had receded and his color was better. Swallowing, he quickly slammed down on the desire that flashed through his body, only a smidgen getting past.

Cyril could smell it, the change in Ki's scent that indicated want and it ratcheted up his own. He reminded himself that this had been his mentor's lover, that he had no right to long for him, especially not when it seemed Ki was still in love with Damious, regardless of how Ki smelt. Aside from which, he had a job to do; gather information on Damious' death and pass it along to the Council. Now was not the time to give in to his emotions.

Looking away, Ki breathed deeply and slowly before straightening again and turning to Cyril. "Cyril-san, I wasn't expecting you to be out here," he said, the breeze carrying his voice. "Did you wish to get the information now? Or do you want to do it later?"

Cyril swallowed, eyes taking in the entire length of the man before him, heating to molten silver as they fastened on tempting lips, then moved to settle on beguiling eyes. He debated with himself as he sought an answer; he was vulnerable now, and he knew it. The man before him had caught his interest in ways no one had in centuries, and his desire for Ki battled with his need to respect his mentor and gather the information he required. He took one last swig of the bottle, finishing it, as he prepared to give his answer.

Copyright © 2011 Morena Darkling, Rose Strailo; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..