Jump to content
    Moritana
  • Author
  • 1,480 Words
  • 588 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

No Heart- No Problems - 3. Chapter 3

"hot hamburger!"
"five fifty!"
"chicken salad!"
"four fifty five!"
at this point Alexis put her hands on the table and gave me the look. "fantail shrimp!"
"six forty!" I answered immediately, and a thought came to my mind that I might be expected to salute.
"well" she kept her eyes at me. "I think that will be all, Stan."
"so?.." I was seated at the edge of my chair, eagerly expecting the verdict. "did I pass??"
"hmm..." she looked down and gathered the test papers "those are sad, sad news..." I held my breath, but she looked up at me again and smiled "but all those kids who will come looking for a waiter job this year will be disappointed! congratulations honey!" she jumped up and grabbed me for a hug "you just got promoted!"
"yes!! woohoo!!" I jumped up and down together with her. My first promotion! it might not seem like much, being promoted to a diner busboy to a diner waiter, but seeing as even with all the training Alexis put in me it took me three times to pass the test.... woohoo!!!

but from the corner of my eye I could see one person who didn't join the joy fest. Karen was standing near the counter, uniform at hand, and glared at me.
I couldn't say I didn't understand her. She was forced to work with me tho whole summer, while her friends from the church group were off at some summer camp of sorts. I never bothered to hide my inclinations, and she had to find out the hard way, that the new guy in town will not be following her, the only teenage girl around, like most boys should. Another good thing about being promoted was not having to be subjected to her anymore. She was leaving the job for the school year, and I will be working her shifts.
When she was done glaring, she huffed and spun around, waving her long red hair behind her, and returned to the locker room to gather her things.
"don't mind her" Alexis was watching my reaction, and withdrew her arms. She smiled at me again and said "don't move" before going in to her office.
She came back with a folded uniform in her arms, and handed it to me. "go change. you start today"
"thanks, Alex!" on a whim, I jumped up to kiss her cheek, and ran off to the locker room.

Karen was still there when I got in. I ducked my head and moved towards the dressing curtain.
As I passed her, she made sure to throw her foot towards my legs, and muttered to herself. Catching myself from tripping to the floor, I had enough.
"Karen" I said in an even voice "what is your problem?!"
"what" she imitated my tone, "are you talking about? I have no problem." her green eyes focused on me "but there is something that bugs me." she paused and her hands tightened a bit on the strap of her purse.
"and what might that be?" I asked her in a leveled tone, when it was obvious she wasn't about to keep going.
"a mighty large bug, actually." she averted her eyes back to her locker "I'm afraid the town might get infested with this one around." she kept shoving stuff to her bag "a large" she glanced back at me "but not too large, apparently, disgusting thing." with each word, she shoved the things harder into the bag.
I looked at her, stunned at the bluntness of her words. In my life, there was never such hate aimed towards me, only for being what I am. Not even my parents ever used such force in their claims.
Reviewing the situation, I decided not to react. Karen was a bitch, it was obvious. No point wasting my time or voice on her. I clenched my teeth, and moved behind the curtain without saying a word. After a while, while I got dressed, I heard her leaving the door open behind her. Than I banged my head against the wood covered wall. The situation sucked.

My uniform was simple, and looked alot like Karen's, minus the skirt. I had jeans, branded at the side with the diners logo, and button down green shirt with blue cuffs (sleeves, now when its still warm) and collar, with the logo on the pocket. I tied the blue-green checkered apron a bit above my waist.
For the occasion, I gathered my hair with a green band, and shoved the longer bangs behind my ears.

When I came out of the locker room, Karen was still there, talking with Alexis. I wasn't too worried about whatever they were discussing. When I was forced to tell Karen I'm not interested, back when I started the job, she went screaming to Alexis about the abomination that I am. Later, Alexis told me that the only reason Karen wasn't fired on the spot was her parent's friendship with Alexis' mother, and the fact she wasn't going to stay for long anyway. Since then, Karen made sure to stay away when Alexis was around.
They both turned around when they heard me coming out. Brian, the new cook who just came in, whistled from his viewing point at the kitchen window. Karen had that shocked look when she saw me, that soon turned to her usual scowl. Alexis looked as if she died and went straight to heaven. I could actually see her floating towards me when the door opened, and in came Casey the cop.
At 23, Casey looked really good. His hair was even darker than mine, but short and straight instead of curly.Hhis bangs always slid to his face, partially covering the chocolate brown eyes, and he kept dazzling time and again brushing the hair off and showing his handsome face. At 6ft 2, to me, he looked like a gorgeous giant.
With a pang of wonder, I noted that seeing him, like seeing most other people, did nothing for me above the waist. It was like looking at a great picture when distracted, or seeing a wonderful meal at the table, but without an ounce of appetite. It bothered me, so I looked away, missing the same look of shock Karen had earlier reflected on his face when he saw me.
"ooh, honey, look at you!!!" Alexis was pulling at my sleeves, and straightening my apron "I just knew it will fit you like a glove! the blue really brings out your eyes, when u brush the hair away like that!"
then there was a coughing sound coming from Casey's way, I looked back at him, and there he stood, in all his cop-uniformed glory, staring at me and shuffling his feet.
Oh god. please. no.
"uhhhh" he brilliantly said. "umm.. hi.." now he brushed the back of his head.
At this point Alexis took over, since he did not seem to be able to form any comprehensible speech. "Casey dear, welcome!" she looked him up and down. "breakfast?"
"yes ma'am" he answered immediately, averting his eyes quickly at her. It wasn't the best response though, because Alexis frowned and walked back to Karen muttering "ma'am your mother..." and then louder "sit down then, officer. You get to be Stan's first customer."

I quickly got behind the counter when she said that, and Casey sat down on the stool in front of me and stared. After a minute, it got ridiculous.
"so. Casey." I tried to get his attention, and smiled "what would you like to eat?"
at my smile, he seemed a bit overwhelmed, but he did open his mouth to talk. "ill take the omelette sandwich, please, uhh.. Stan"
"OK then" I said, and turned around to the kitchen window, and hand Brian the order. I briefly saw him snicker at me before he took it. I cringed at the thought of the chat he will want to have with me at closing time, and once again wondered what on earth made Alexis hire a cook other than herself for this tiny place.
When I faced the counter again, Casey was looking at me still.
"so.. Stan" he said my name again "you look good, in that new uniform.. really brings out your eyes" he blushed. Oh dear. "and the hair.. you should brush it like that more often..." and he trails off.
"uhh..." I felt really awkward. "thanks, Casey." I tried to find something to say "you look kinda good today too" when his face lit up, I realized it was the wrong thing to say. "nice weather today" ugh.
"yeah..." he kept trailing off.
"so... I'm gonna go wipe the tables now..." I said slowly and walked away from behind the counter towards the tables, allowing Alexis, who saw Karen away, to take my place.
As I bended over, I was dimly aware of both pairs of eyes that were watching my bum.
For god's sake, act like a boss and a cop, you two!

thanks for the reviews on the last two chaps ^_^
Copyright © 2011 Moritana; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..