Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 626 Words
  • 571 Views
  • 3 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Farm Tales - 2. FT Chapter 2 - George

On occasions, I like to grab my sketch book and pencils and go out for a walks somewhere on the farm to do some landscape sketching. One weekend when I was home from boarding school, with it being a very nice day and I had no chores to do, I grabbed my sketch book and pencils and headed out of the house, with no set destination in mind.

I ended up going into the paddock just up from the shearing shed, which our family know as the Whether and Bull paddock, where all a mob a sheep and some Beef bulls are kept. I was not concerned about the bulls at all, as they are fairly docile animals, even if they do weigh over a tonne or more.

I entered this paddock, because it has a great view of the side of the hill which is on our property, so once I found a good spot to sketch under a shady tree, I began to do the outlines of my first sketch, and it was only about fifteen minutes later, when our old pet Ram – George appeared.

Obviously wanting a good scratch behind his ears, which he has always enjoyed, as he stopped right in front of me, blocking my view of the hill, so I put the sketch pad down and gave him what he wanted, as he lowered his head to allow me to give him his ear scratches.

After about a minute, George turned and headed towards a nearby clump of trees, which we have plenty of on our farm, as my father and grandfather before him always kept plenty of trees in each paddock to allow plenty of shade for the stock for the hot summers that we experience.

George stopped about half way to the next clump, looked back at me, and waited until I stood up and started to walk towards him, as I wondered if he was showing me something, or maybe playing a game of "Follow the Leader".

When I was halfway from between the tree where I started and where George stood, he continued to walk, this time changing directions towards another clump of trees, where he waited in the shade until I had almost reached him, before once again setting off in another direction.

I laughed at this, as he was not usually this playful, as I continued to follow him for a few more minutes, as he continued to wait for me to nearly catch up before heading off in another direction. Once I had started to grow tired of this game, I headed back to the tree where I had left my sketch pad, and I sat down and continued to sketch.

When George reappeared a short while later, he stopped right in front of me, stare at me for a few moments, to say he was not impressed with me for leaving the game, before bending down and grabbing the pad with his teeth, he yanked at it, tearing the page that I was sketching, before walking off towards the middle of the paddock, not stopping or looking back at me, to say that he was not happy with me at all.

I just sat there, stunned, that George had ripped my sketch pad, just because I refused to play his silly game of follow the leader around the paddock, and realising that I would not be seeing him again, I packed up and headed back to the house.

At lunch time I told my parents of what had happened in the paddock with George, and at first they did not believe me, but on showing them the sketch pad, with clear teeth marks on it, they had to wonder…

Authors Note: George passed away in the Ram paddock of very old age and is now grazing on lush pasture in sheep heaven.
Copyright Preston Wigglesworth May 2022 All Rights Are Reserved
  • Like 12
  • Love 10
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Maybe George was upset you didn't sketch him? If he really wanted to play I suspect he would have butted you around. 🐐

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..