Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 343 Words
  • 1,170 Views
  • 7 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Farm Tales - 1. FT Chapter 1 - Ben

Farm life has its many ups and downs, and this was probably one of my toughest times of been brought up on a mixed farm.

Having completed a water check, and seeing Mum just returned from shopping in town and taking our farm dog – Ben to the vets, as he was not looking well lately, I headed down to the house for some morning tea, and seeing shopping in the back of the Ute, I picked up the box, not really taking any notice of the hessian bag and headed inside, via the back door.

As I placed the shopping on the kitchen table, Mum broke the news to me that Ben had died, due to Kidney Failure. With Dad in Perth on business, my brothers away at boarding school, it was up to me to bury the farm dog, as Mum had other chores to do.

This is one thing that I had not thought I would be doing, as usually Dad dealt with sick in dead farm animals, but today it was my turn and responsibility.

It took me some time to recover from the loss of our much loved farm dog, before I had enough courage to walk outside, and carefully lift and cary the hessian bag, along with with spade, up past the sheds and into the main laneway, where Ben and I had mustered sheep down to the yards and sheds many times.

Now with tears streaming down my face, I dug a deep hole under a shady tree on a bend in the laneway, stopping a number of times as I struggled with the difficult chore.

With the hole dug, I partly took Ben out of the hessian bag stroking his beautiful black and white coat and giving him a long hug, before placing him back in the bag, and carefully lowering him into the hole, and filling it in.

With the difficult chore done, I wished and hoped that I would not have to do that ever again… Sadly it was not the last time.

Copyright Preston Wigglesworth May 2022 All Rights Are Reserved
  • Like 16
  • Love 4
  • Sad 17
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Short chapter to begin with but it was a good one to read. It was a sad job for the young man to have to bury the farm dog who died from kidney failure. Looking forward to the next chapter.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Hard life sometimes on a farm, and often fathers tell children not to treat farm animals as pets. But a farm dog is so much more to a boy. It's a companion as a boy grows up. Goodbye Ben. Now go chase squirrels in heaven. 

More chapters please.

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 5
Link to comment

Hard life happens on a farm, some jobs are not easy. Unfortunately these things happen, you learn to deal with it as you grow up on a farm. Goodbye Ben.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Hard life sometimes on a farm, and often fathers tell children not to treat farm animals as pets. But a farm dog is so much more to a boy. It's a companion as a boy grows up. Goodbye Ben. Now go chase squirrels in heaven. 

More chapters please.

Can't disagree @Anton_Cloche...

Squirrel Up Movie Quotes. QuotesGram

  • Love 4
Link to comment

It’s always sad when a young man has to bury his farm dog, big woof 🐶 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Very recognisable, brings back memories, our dog was as old as I was.  We got him when I was a toddler. He reached the very old age of 19 for a dog, then had to be put to sleep because he had cancer. We buried him at home under the apple tree in the meddow, were he usually sat holding the fort . Nearest farm was a mile away, but one can hope and bark😉.Only cried for a day or two, still hope that if there's something more, I will see him again.

  • Love 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..