Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 549 Words
  • 613 Views
  • 5 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Farm Tales - 4. FT Chapter 4 - Marking Time

One job each year is the Lamb Marking season, which is when the new season lambs, who are by now a month or so old, are rounded up, separated from their mothers for a short while, so that they can have their tails cut, putting rubber castrating rings on the male lambs, and giving them all an injection.

I must admit, it was not at all my favourite chore on the farm, and thankfully that practice has now be phased out on most farms, with more modern and humane procedures now in place, that’s just how it was back in the days when I was on the farm.

Before any of this work can commence, the temporary fencing has to be out into place, usually one corner of a paddock so as it is easy to get the mobs into the temporary yards, and also the stock has to be mustered to get them into the yards, which was usually my job.

But with this happening in the late winter months, musting sheep out in the open paddocks very early in the morning, when the temperatures are very low and the chilling winds are biting, it is a very tough job to do, riding a four-wheel motorbike out in the open, with your face, ears and hands, exposed the cold weather, and the rest of the body wrapped in as many layers of clothing as possible to stay warm.

The day started at dawn, with a quick bowl of cereal and a hot cup of tea, before rushing outside to start the mustering. Grabbing the farm dog from his kennel, and him jumping onto the back of the bike, we would head out to the first paddock of the day.

Dogs are usually very helpful with the job of mustering, but when it is an extra big paddock, and the sheep usually bunkered down under some trees for protection from the cold weather, it can be often difficult to get the mob starting to move, and instead of getting the sheep to move forward in the direction of the years been set up, the dog will often go around a bit too much, and that causes the sheep remain bunched up but to start going around in circles.

Often there is one or two sheep that decide they want to break away from the mob, and when this happens, others will follow, and if I don’t react quick enough, it is harder to get them back together as one mob, and shouting instructions to the dog, when the wind is blowing the wrong way, doesn’t help either, so often I have to charge off down the paddock to round out the sheep on the bike, with the dog chasing behind.

By the time I have the mob all together again, after shouting and swearing at the damn dog for a good ten to fifteen minutes, we push the mob of sheep towards the yards, which are usually ready for the mob by the time I arrive with the mob. Exhausted from the cold air, freezing exposed parts of my body, and a sore throat from shouting at the dog, the day has only just begun, as we start to mark a few hundred lambs before morning smoko.

Copyright Preston Wigglesworth May 2022 All Rights Are Reserved
  • Like 18
  • Love 7
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope this is not the last chapter. I think there is much more to tell about your life on the farm. 
It doesn't just have to be funny. It's also important to show that running a farm is hard work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..