Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,349 Words
  • 12,151 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

NB Huon - Afterlife - 1. NB Huon Chapter 1

Why was it so cold in the office, I thought, as I lifted my head off the office desk, and stood up to adjust the air-conditioner temperature. When I couldn’t grip the temperature dial, I frowned, and I turned around to look back towards my desk, and I received the shock of my life.

There was me lying facing down on the deck, and I looked very pale and very cold. Suddenly the movie ‘Ghost’ sprang into my mind, surely this is not what has happened to me, or has it? Am I really dead, and is this my spirit, standing away from my dead body?

My thoughts were interrupted when the office door opened, and my best friend Kyle walked in, and after a moment of hesitation, he raced to the desk and shook my body.

Reverend Annette had followed Kyle into the office shortly after him and gently pulled Kyle away from my body, as I watched in horror, as my dearest friends discover that I am dead.

Rev placed a finger on my wrist and then my neck for my pulse and found none, and I watched as Rev informed Kyle that I had gone to a better place, and Kyle fell to the floor and burst into tears. I too was crying, as I did not want to die and leave my dear friends behind, I wanted to live till I was old, spending time with my good friends, plus my cousins.

A short while later, Dr Judy entered the office, after Rev had called her on the radio, and she used her stethoscope to confirm that I had passed away. My heart was breaking, I did not want to see my friends so sad, and although I was dead, I was still able to cry, but no one could hear me or comfort me.

I watched as Kyle stood up and wiped away his tears, and slowly approached my body. “Goodbye Huon, you have been the best mate ever, and I will never forget you,” he said as he leaned down and kissed me on the forehead, before turning and dashing out of the building.

I followed Kyle, as I wanted to stay close to my best friend. I watched as there were prayers being held in the island chapel, and as my body was prepared and placed in a coffin, a guard of honour was formed, as the coffin was taken to the airport and loaded onto the plane bound for Perth.

I had heard Rev tell Kyle that I had asked to be buried in the Falkland Islands, and the phone call made to my cousins to break the news to them. Sebastian sounded cheery when he answered the call from Rev, but that was all about to change.

I listened as Rev explained everything to Sebastian, and what had been done on the island in regards to visitors, having their holidays cancelled. Although sounding a little upset, Sebastian’s voice seemed to fairly calm, after receiving the news of my death, as he asked Annette to officiate the funeral service at Stanley Anglican Cathedral, which she agreed to do.

I remained close to Kyle as he worked to finish closing down the tourism business, before flying back to the mainland with the last of the island guests, leaving Dr Judy in charge of managing the island.

When the plane arrived at Perth Airport, I was surprised to find Sebastian and the twins waiting, and the twins wrapped Kyle in a tight hug before Sebastian did the same.

For the next two days, I watched as my cousins and best friend, struggled to cope with my passing, before they set off again for the long journey to the Falkland Islands, with a short stop in Melbourne, before going to Santiago, Chile, and finally to the Falklands.

“Will… will he be travelling with us, on the same flights?” I heard Kyle asked, and his Mum smiled, “Yes son, Huon will be travelling with us the whole distance, everything is organised” Annette replied. “Relax mate, we will be with you all the way, we are all one family, so you are part of this process,” Sebastian added.

When we all stepped off the plane at Stanley, the first thing I spotted was my old Landrover, which made me cry some more, as family and friends stood and watched as the coffin was loaded into the back of the Landrover, and driven off to the hospital, for overnight storage.

Vehicles had arrived to transport everyone to the accommodation at Eric and Mary’s place, and I watched as they all settled into their rooms, for the night, with the funeral service being held at 10 am tomorrow.

Keeping close to Kyle all the time, we arrived at the Cathedral, I was stunned to see that the building was packed full, as we were led to the front row of the cathedral, and shortly after, we all stood when the coffin was carried inside.

I was crying through most of the service, as were the twins, who were sitting on the other side of Sebastian, as they said their last farewells to me.

A wake was held onboard the Ocean Explorer, which had turned around at Cape Town, as soon as they heard the news, so as to attend the funeral, which was just for family and close friends on the ship, straight after the funeral service.

I watched as Rev and Kyle both tried to get Sebastian to talk, but everywhere we went, it reminded him, of me. Deepdale Island, the ship, the farm on the Falklands, the retail buildings, school and houses in Claremont, and all Sebastian could do was retreat to his suite and cry.

After the long flights back in Australia and Claremont, Sebastian asked everyone to gather in the office conference room next door, the first thing the next day, this gathering was to include Annette and Kyle, Mrs Cooper, Mr Jai and Dr Judy Chakma Patwary, who were arriving from the Island this afternoon.

The next morning at 8 am sharp, we were all gathered in the conference room, and I watched and listened. “Thank you, everyone, for attending, I have my lawyers from Geneva on the loudspeaker” Sebastian began, and the twins looked at each other, feeling that something big was about to be announced.

“As most of you know, Huon’s passing has hit me very hard, and now I can’t seem to go anywhere without having memories of him. It is with that in mind, that my twin brothers and I will be returning to Switzerland.”

I was a little surprised at what Sebastian was announcing to those gathered, especially the bit about returning to Europe.

“Finally, I want to say that it has been a privilege to know you all, and we may at times speak by phone, but for now the twins and I will be packing up and flying to Geneva in three days’ time. That is all for now thank you” Sebastian announced, leaving everyone stunned.

Once again, I stood back and watched as Sebastian met with everyone individually for the rest of the morning, while Mrs Cooper helped to start packing all of Sebastian & the twin's belongings.

On the day that they were to fly out of Perth, possibly for good, Mrs Cooper, Annette and Kyle came to the Airport to see them off, which was very difficult, and I was not sure what to do, should I go with Sebastian and the twins to Europe and watch them, or should I stay in Australia, and watch over Kyle and Annette.

In the end, my spirit had made the choice, I am too stay here in Australia, as I felt the pull for me to remain in my home country. I knew that for Seb’s sake, that they had to leave Australia, even though it felt like home to them in the time they had been there, but they had to stay together as a family, and Switzerland was their true home.

Copyright, Preston Wigglesworth July 2019 All RIghts Are Reserved
  • Like 10
  • Love 5
  • Sad 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Preston, a sad but lovely tribute to Huon, looking forward to next and final chapter.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Help... I can't stop crying! ! !  Absolutely loving the story ... Fell in love with Huon and hte Twins. Looking forward to seeing his son grow though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..