Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,598 Words
  • 808 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Quokka's Christmas Stories - 1. Stanley

New Beginnings & XDSI

Stanley, Falkland Islands

It has been some years now since we lost our dear relative and friend – Huon Devonport, and after a lot of planning, we have managed to finally have everyone gather in the one place that Huon loved and where he now rests in peace in Stanley, Falkland Islands. The Ocean Explorer is currently berthed at the main harbour at Port Stanley, having arrived a few weeks earlier, so to accommodate us all while we are on the island for this special occasion, that being Christmas on the Falkland Islands, and the fifteenth anniversary of the passing of Huon.

Gathered for this event are my twin brothers Louis and Joachim, who along with me and staff member Xavier, travelled from Europe, arriving via a UK MoD flight that stops at Cape Verd to refuel on Wednesday. Huon’s son Alexander and his husband Langley, my now ex-husband Lewis, and staff member Wyatt travelled from Christmas Island to Perth, where along with Mrs June Cooper, Reverend Annette Davies, and her son Kyle who was Huon’s good friend, travelled from Perth to Sydney, and Santiago, before arriving on the island three days later on the Saturday commercial flight.

The former farmhand - Jose Mandoza would travel from Chile to be with us, as are locals Eric and Mary, Tom and Margaret. Unknown to most, with the financial support from Sir Lewis, Rev Davies and son Kyle had also arranged with special permission, to have two staff and twelve current choir members from the Grammar school that Kyle and Huon attended, travelled from Guildford, Western Australia to be a part of this event, and would be on a separate domestic but the same international flight as the others travelling from Perth.

As discussed by Xander, who is now the legal owner of the Ocean Explorer, I would have the restored Owners Suite located on B Deck while Xander and Langley, Lewis, and my twin brothers would have the VIP suites on D Deck, Wyatt, Xavier, Mrs Cooper, Reverend and Kyle Davies, Jose Mandoza, and our good friends and locals Eric and Mary and Tom and Margaret would be staying in the guest suites on the main deck.

My brother, staff and I were the first to arrive onboard the ship, which I had not been onboard for a few years now, but it still looked the same, although there were a few subtle changes with indoor décor, and we settled into our suites before taking a tour of most of the ship to get familiar with it again, before having an early dinner and retiring early, since we had travelled a long distance.

The following day, we went and had morning tea and lunch with our local friends, who were all very happy to see us again. After a delightful meal, I was led to the garage, where the trusty old Landrover was parked, the same vehicle that Huon had purchased so many years ago, and I was very surprised that it was still running. The afternoon was spent driving the twins and Xavier around the island seeing all of the sights, and this also included a visit to the cemetery to see Huon’s grave, which thanks to our friends has a weekly fresh bunch of flowers on it, and we added another bunch to it.

Feeling rather tired from yesterday’s travels and today’s tour around the islands, we once again had an early dinner and retired to our suites early, with the big day of Huon’s remembrance service on Sunday, was just a few days away now, with Christmas day the following day. The following day, I decided to just stay on the ship and relax all day, and I insisted that the twins and Xavier go and do something like take an organised tour or something, which they did, and returning late in the afternoon, they were pleased that they went.

The following day, we remained on the ship for the morning, as we knew the rest of the guests would be arriving that afternoon on the commercial flight, and our friends had arranged for a local minibus to collect them from the airport, with Xavier taking the Landrover so to welcome his brother and aunt back to the island, and his aunt was eager to get to the ship and get settled, once all the welcoming was done, after exiting the customs area, unaware that a few minutes after they left the airport, twelve teenage boys and two adults exited the same customs area, and would be going to the same destination.

Only four people in the know were aware of who was about to arrive at the ship, and those four strategically arranged for everyone to gather in the storm lounge for a late morning tea, as a welcome back to the Falkland Islands, with the ship’s crew assisting with the diversion.

Meanwhile, the two staff and twelve choir members from the Perth Private School settled into their cabins on A Deck of the ship, where the additional cabins are located, as well as the dining and lounge area and the aft deck area on that level two. On the main deck, part of the main saloon now has a formal dining table set up and that is where we all gathered for dinner later that evening, including our local friends.

“I wish to welcome family and friends onboard the Ocean Explorer, of which most of you are very familiar with this ship,” Xander announced after standing up and everyone was quiet. “I know this is a very sad time in our lives, remembering my later father, but I am very pleased that all of you could be here for this event, the first time that all of Huon’s family and extended family he didn’t get to meet, have gathered to honour and remember this special man.

Thanks to my first cousin, I have learnt a lot about what my father Huon had achieved in his short life and the troubles that he endured with his medical issues. I want to say thank you for being here, and I hope you have an enjoyable stay on this unique and wonderful land, that Huon calls home,” Xander continued. “To Huon, may he rest in eternal peace, and within our memories for our lifetimes,” Sebastian said once he had stood up and held his wine glass up, and everyone else did too.

Once everyone had sat down again, I turned to face Xander again, “As our host, may I ask what is going on with a bunch of teenagers onboard the ship on A Deck this afternoon?” I asked my cousin. “I will answer that question, as the current Choirmaster of my former school and Huon’s best friend,” Kyle said as he stood up again. “Ladies and gentlemen, as a very special treat for you tonight.

Before the Memorial, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services, I wish to introduce to you the senior members of the School Choir,” Kyle added as the singing started coming from the main passageway, as the doors opened and the twelve choir boys dressed in their school uniforms entered the room, and we were given a three hymn performance, that included a solo by Kyle, who was struggling to keep tears away.

The following morning, the cathedral was packed full of parishioners and guests, and up in the choir stall was Kyle and the twelve-member choir from the private school in Guildford, Western Australia, while Rev Annette jointly led the service, along with the local minister, and this time Xander joined Kyle as joint soloists for two hymns for the memorial service, which was followed by a flower laying service at Huon’s grave site, led by Rev Annette, with her and Kyle laying the first wreath of remembrance.

That evening, which was Christmas Eve, there was an 11 pm service and the next morning on Christmas Day, the cathedral was packed full once again with the choir providing a wonder list of Christmas music for everyone to enjoy, but what surprised everyone and especially Rev Annette and the local minister, was that there was about forty additional people who were seated on the lawn outside the cathedral due to there not being enough room.

For the next few days, we all relaxed and enjoyed the luxuries of the ship, and some of the guests went on organised tours, as did the choir, their minders, who were enjoying their once-in-a-lifetime trip to the Falkland Islands, with Kyle and Rev Annette also joining them. On Friday morning our group - Xavier, my two brothers and I, boarded our MoD - Ministry of Defence flight for the UK via Cape Verdes, then on to our home in Europe, while the rest of the guests would be remaining for one last night before boarding their flight for Chile, and onwards to Auckland, New Zealand, where the Choir group would have three days to rest and look around, before returning home to Perth, and the ship would remain in the harbour for a few more days before setting off for South Africa.

This gathering to remember our dear cousin and friend Huon would be one that I would never forget, and although it was a little uncomfortable being close to Lewis for the time there, we both eventually relaxed and began to socialise together once Christmas was over, although I still felt empty inside, I had to accept that we were no longer together, but we still had good friends and family that we shared.

Copyright Dec 2023... All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 10
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Preston, one 'OOPS' stands out. In Paragraph 12 you wrote: “To Huon, may he rest in internal peace, and within our memories for our lifetimes,”

I'm certain you meant to say "eternal peace". Aside from that, well written chapter at this Christmas time.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I enjoyed this chapter very much, it hit all the right 'notes' as it were, I thought the following was very good...

Before the Memorial, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services, I wish to introduce to you the senior members of the School Choir,” Kyle added as the singing started coming from the main passageway, as the doors opened and the twelve choir boys dressed in their school uniforms entered the room, and we were given a three hymn performance, that included a solo by Kyle, who was struggling to keep tears away.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drsawzall said:

I enjoyed this chapter very much, it hit all the right 'notes' as it were, I thought the following was very good...

Before the Memorial, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services, I wish to introduce to you the senior members of the School Choir,” Kyle added as the singing started coming from the main passageway, as the doors opened and the twelve choir boys dressed in their school uniforms entered the room, and we were given a three hymn performance, that included a solo by Kyle, who was struggling to keep tears away.

Damn allergies keep me reaching for tissues.

Seriously @quokka this section had me choked up just the same way as when Zander and Kyle sang the first time at Huon's 6 year memorial in Stanley (where Huon first sees his 10-year old son Alexander) :

"... the cathedral filled with the beautiful voice of my best mate, Kyle, but wait there is a second voice, a much younger one. Could it possibly be?...

The singing was heavenly, and I could feel myself floating upwards, and I could now see Kyle and my son Alexander, standing in the loft, singing beautifully together. I continued to float upwards, and the cathedral began to fade, as I realised that I was now heading to a better place, now that I had seen my son and heard him and my best mate sing together".

    divine intervention omg GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

        

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 5
Link to comment

Thank you all, for the wonderful comments and reactions.

I too was struggling to keep the tears away as i wrote this.

Q

  • Love 4
Link to comment

@quokka;

As sure as the Southern Cross is the celestial navigation guide for mariners and travelers to find their way home to Oz, (as the long line of the cross points South), may it be the beacon for my Best Wishes to reach you for a Merry Christmas🎄and a healthy, prosperous and Happy New Year in 2024.

You mentioned being tired, and after 72 stories and almost 3 Million words, 'tired' may be an understatement. Or perhaps you are just taking a breather before diving back in to a sea of words waiting for you to harvest them. 

Take good care mate. 

🫂

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 5
Link to comment
58 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

@quokka;

As sure as the Southern Cross is the celestial navigation guide for mariners and travelers to find their way home to Oz, (as the long line of the cross points South), may it be the beacon for my Best Wishes to reach you for a Merry Christmas🎄and a healthy, prosperous and Happy New Year in 2024.

You mentioned being tired, and after 72 stories and almost 3 Million words, 'tired' may be an understatement. Or perhaps you are just taking a breather before diving back in to a sea of words waiting for you to harvest them. 

Take good care. 

🫂

Thanks mate…

Yes, taking a break after these last few chapters leading up to Christmas….

Yes I have written a-lot over the past nine, almost ten years, and out of the 72 stories, i still have four that haven't received a review as yet.

Maybe i am slipping a bit, mind you i am finding it harder to write stories now.

Q

Edited by quokka
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..