Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,881 Words
  • 2,084 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

River Cruise - 2. RC Chapter 2

Rhol had a good idea what that something is, but had decided not to tell Nicholas so as to keep it a surprise, and after a 20 minute drive they finally arrived in Fremantle, after tackling some very heavy traffic, Jordan drove down to the main ship passenger terminal, located in the main harbour after passing through port security.

There moored at the terminal, taking up nearly the whole area, was one very large river ship, Rhol new that it would be big as he had seen pictures of them on television advertising for European River holidays, but too see one up this close was quite a sight.

Jordan informed Rhol that the vessel, which had been renamed MV ALBANY, had cleared customs late yesterday afternoon, and that once unloaded, it was towed to its current location using tug boats. He also said that the skeleton crew of 12 had arrived this morning from Europe, and were already on board the vessel, and settling in. Jordan said that the crew consisted of 3 bridge crew, 2 engineering crew, 3 galley crew and 4 hospitality crew.

When Jordan and Rhol saw Nicholas with a stunned look on his face and his mouth wide open, they both just laughed, and once settled Rhol informed his best friend that this River Ship had been purchased by his father before his death and that it was also already on its way to Australia.

Rhol continued to let his friend know, that his father had organised and was granted permission to operate a floating hotel on the Swan and Canning rivers, and this is now his floating 4-star hotel. As they approached the vessel, the 12 crew members appeared in full dress uniform and lined up at the gangway to greet their new boss, who they knew had recently lost his father in a car accident.

The 3 main decks were named after instruments, while the top deck is just called the Sun Deck, the deck below that is called the Violin Deck; the next one lower is the Cello Deck, while the lower one is called the Piano Deck. As they stepped into the reception foyer of the forward Violin Deck, the captain began his tour of the vessel, explaining as they came upon them, the changes that had been made before the vessel was sent to Australia.

The first changes on the Cello deck to be shown to Rhol were the last four cabins near the back, two of them have been changed to be used as a lounge room, with adjoining doors to the cabins next door, to provide two Executive suites, another cabin near the centre, opposite some stairs, were also changed so it is now a workspace for the crew.

After the full tour had been completed, including seeing the bridge and all the crew work areas, Rhol, Jordan and Nicholas were taken to the rear Chef’s Table Restaurant, on the Violin Deck, where dinner was being served for them by the crew and with assistance from Mrs Garner and Langley.

As Langley was clearing the dishes from desserts, and serving the tea and coffee, he announced to Rhol that cabins had been readied for him and master Nicholas, with their luggage already unpacked and that he and Mrs Garner would also be staying overnight onboard the vessel. Rhol wasn’t too surprised by this announcement and was pleased that his two staff would be staying too. After dinner, Jordan thanked Rhol for his hospitality and a wonderful meal and excused himself as he had to return home to be ready for work in the morning.

Langley guided Rhol and Nicholas to their assigned cabins, located on the Cello deck, with Nicholas assigned cabin 223 and Rhol was assigned cabin 222 & 224 as his permanently assigned cabins. When Rhol opened his cabin door and began to look around, he started to notice some different changes to the cabin, compared to the few that he had been shown on the tour.

Firstly it looked like it had been enlarged using the cabin next door, so he had a lounge room and a bedroom, in the bedroom the shower had been removed, so it was just a toilet and basin, and this space was filled by a large walk-in wardrobe, also the access door to the bedroom had been removed, so there is only one entry into the suite.

There are a number of oil paintings that had been placed in storage at home, that we're now on the walls of his Owner’s Suite, also a new Xbox system had been installed, along with a large upgrade with the television, and a Blue Ray DVD player, plus a sound system with wireless headphones.

Rhol noticed that Langley had purchased new clothes and shoes, mostly casual but also include two sets of formal wear for formal dinners. Langley was beaming with pride with what he had achieved in such a short time that afternoon, and without hesitation, Rhol gave him a big hug of thanks. When Langley had gone to help finish cleaning up, Nicholas announced that he was having first use on the Xbox, and for the next few hours, they were happily kept entertained.

When he woke the next morning, Rhol noticed that the vessel was moving, although slowly it was quite a nice smooth ride, and after getting dressed he sat in the lounge room and watched the view outside the window. This was soon interrupted by the arrival of Langley with a breakfast tray, which was placed on the small table near the bay window, and Nicholas appeared soon after to join his best friend for breakfast.

The boys chatted as they ate, watching the view as they passed through Mosman Bay and into Freshwater Bay on the Swan River and by the time they had finished their breakfast, the vessel had come alongside the Claremont Jetty, where the family car and Langley were waiting.

Once in the car, Langley announced that he had arranged for them to have a game of golf at the Lake Claremont Golf Course, followed by some shopping in Claremont. Both Rhol and Nicholas played golf occasionally, and they were reasonably good at it, for a social game, which took a good two hours to complete the 9 holes of golf.

After a quick morning tea at the golf club restaurant, they set off into Claremont to do a little bit of shopping, as Langley wanted to get any more items that Rhol needed for his Suite on the vessel.

Once back on the MV Albany, Nicholas helped his best friend to set up the Wii game system, and placing the CD’s and DVD’s in the shelves under the television before they went up to the sundeck to relax in the heated pool and relax after an enjoyable morning.

Sometime later, the senior butler of the MV Albany informed them that Mr Langley had driven the car around to the next stopover point, at Deep Water Point on the Canning River where they would be in approximately 45 minutes time.

As they neared Deep Water Point, the boys went down to their cabins to shower and change, before stepping off the now docked vessel, where Langley was once again waiting for them, and they went for a walk along the reserve alongside the river before returning to the vessel.

For the next 45 minutes the vessel cruised back to the Swan River, and rounded Mill Point before arriving at the South Perth jetty, there Langley was waiting with the car, and they toured around South Perth before going to the Zoological Gardens, and for the next two hours they explored the Zoo, including lunch at the café.

Once back at the vessel, they sailed up the Swan River to Guildford, where the Captain was planning to stop at the jetty just past Woodbridge House, but discovered when we arrived that there was not enough room to turn around, luckily he noticed a rowing boat lagoon less than 250 metres downstream, that belongs to the private grammar school, and after a quick phone call, the Captain was happy to offload the owner and his friend, so as to explore the historical house

After a tour of the historic house and a light afternoon tea at the coach house tea room, before they re-boarded the vessel for the return journey downstream, where they would stop at the small jetty at Rivervale, on the east side of the Burswood Peninsular, where Langley had arranged a Limo to be there to pick them up and take them to the Casino complex, were they had a short look around the area, before they returned to the vessel.

From there the vessel travelled further downstream to a jetty at East Perth, on the western side of the Burswood Peninsular, and once moored there, dinner was served this time on the sundeck with fantastic views of the city in one direction and the Burswood Casino complex to the east, and as requested Langley and Mrs Garner joined the boys for dinner.

During dinner, they enjoyed light conversation with great food and spectacular views with the sun setting, and it was just after the desserts were served that Rhol stopped eating and looked at Langley, “So there must be a reason for this tour of the Swan and Canning Rivers, can you enlighten us on why?” Rhol said with a serious look. Langley smiled as he placed his spoon down.

“You have no idea; how much you are like your late father… I miss serving him very much. It was your fathers wish to establish this business, and it was using his business notes that this tour itinerary was set. What are your thoughts on what we have seen and done since leaving Fremantle last night?” Langley said.

Rhol thought about this for a few moments before he looked at his best friend Nicholas, who got the hint that his views were being asked also, and Nicolas said that although he had already seen a lot of the places that they have been, it was good to see them again, he also said that the cabins and the service from the staff was top quality.

Rhol agreed with everything that his buddy had just said, especially with the professional standards of the staff. Langley said that with a good report from the new owner, he would notify Jordan to continue with preparations to launch the floating hotel – MV Albany.

The next morning Langley had the family car at the jetty to transport the boys back home, to rest and relax before returning them to the school, for the final few weeks of school. Meanwhile, the Captain set sail for Fremantle, where the vessel would stay until it was ready for its’ maiden voyage with paying guests, which he hoped would be very soon, once the remaining 37 crew places have been filled.

As the end of the school day was coming to a close, the school was gathered for the weekly Monday afternoon assembly, where the headmaster reminded the junior students to remain quiet when in the area of the senior’s examination rooms, for the two weeks of final exams.

Copyright August 2019 Preston Wigglesworth, All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 21
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter. The MV Albany sounds a great floating hotel. I look forward to the further adventures of Rhol and Nicholas.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, it seems that this story is really going to develop really well , I suspect a bump in the road or should I say river 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..