Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,963 Words
  • 2,529 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

River Cruise - 5. RC Chapter 5

“As the Captain had informed you, we have 6 high profile VIP guests who have just come aboard, and they plus two more guests will be staying overnight, they are to be given our highest standard of service at all times, and their privacy is to be guaranteed during their stay, after tonight’s function I’m sure that the whole world will know that they are here, so we may have some problems with fans and the media tomorrow.

We will have some security onboard the vessel tonight to ensure the safety of the VIP guests in particular, but also the guests who are attending the function. Do this well tonight and I will make sure that you all get a bonus added to your pay. That is all, for now, thank-you” Devon said and the crew members filed out of the room to return to their duties.

As Rhol and Nicholas made their way out into the reception foyer, they saw a big truck arrive with a music store brand on the side, walking over to the reception desk, Rhol picked up the phone and called the restaurant lounge, and Jordan answered. “Yes, we just saw the truck too, it’s all the instruments, and we will be there in a moment,” Jordan said not bothering to know who was on the other end of the line, and he hung up the phone and with the twins close behind they went to collect the instruments. It was decided that Devon, David, James and Thomas stay hidden since their faces are well known, so they remained indoors and out of sight.

Rhol and Nicholas helped Jordan and the twins to carry all the instruments and sound equipment into the reception foyer, so there was no need for the truck workers to go onboard, especially when one of the workers is a classmate of Rhol’s, and over the next half an hour Rhol acknowledge that he knew the young worker with a smile and a nod of the head and that is all, not attempting to communicate with him, and making sure that the young man didn’t speak to him.

Once the truck had gone, all the instruments and sound equipment were carried up to the front of the sundeck, where a low stage area had been set up. Once the river ship was back out away from the jetty, all the band members started to set it up to the speakers and layout the cables from the speakers to the sound control board.

Nicholas who had some experience with sound mixing offered his assistance to the band, who gratefully accepted the offer, and for the next two hours they were kept busy getting everything set up and doing sound checks, before they retired to the restaurant lounge for an early light dinner, along with Devon and the twins parents who had just arrived, before the arrival of the Graduation ball guests.

The Captain had taken the vessel away from the jetty soon after the sound equipment and instruments had arrived, to allow the VIP guests to set up without any distractions, and as soon as they were indoors again just after 5.45pm, he brought it back in for mooring, where the security guards were waiting and the first of the guests started to arrive. Once the security guards had been briefed on their duties, and the headmaster Mr Lichen and his wife had been welcomed, the students were allowed to board, once they had been checked for any alcohol or drugs.

As it neared the time for the vessel to leave the jetty, one male student and two of his buddies, who are well known as being trouble makers, refused to be searched as he approached the walkway, Rhol had just finished dinner with his friends and was in the reception foyer talking to the captain and headmaster, when he heard the raised voices of the three students at the end of the walkway. “Mr Kerns, if you do not allow the guards to search you for any illegal stuff, you will be refused entry onboard the vessel” the headmaster stated clearly to the offenders.

“You can’t refuse me entry to the graduation ball, I have a right to be here” the leader of the trouble makers stated in an angry voice. “You may have the right to attend the ball, young man, but as the Captain of this vessel, I have the right to refuse you entry on the grounds of not abiding by the rules, as set by the school for this event being held here plus the regulations of this company that owns this vessel” the Captain said.

“Well, I demand to speak to the owner of the vessel, see if they agree with your unfair restrictions,” Michael Kerns said getting even more annoyed for not being allowed on board, and this made the Headmaster and Captain Laugh.

“Go ahead young man, he is standing right here and has heard everything said here so far,” the Captain said and this made the three young men look very confused at that last statement.

As Rhol walked down the walkway towards the jetty he spoke, “Michael why don’t you just give up, you have lost the argument and you are not welcome on board this vessel” he said calmly, “Ha, and what makes you all Mr High and mighty to be able to say this Lawson, you are just a weak fagot, who can’t even do anything wrong.

Just a Mr goody two shoes”, Michael and his two mates smirked thinking they had won the argument, and would soon be partying with the rest of their classmates onboard this rather long vessel.

“Yes Michael I maybe Gay, and yes I am a good and kind person, or I hope I am that to my friends, but there is one thing that you are not aware of, up until now only the headmaster is aware of this, but I am the owner of the company that owns this vessel, so that means that I have the last say on who comes onboard.

I’m sorry to say, that you and your two friends are not welcome, so I suggest you leave now before the police arrive, as I had requested my lawyer to do so” Rhol said calmly, fully aware that his fellow students on the sundeck would have heard every word of what he just said.

Suddenly there was a burst of applause from inside, and it took a few moments to realise that the applause was for him, making Rhol blush, as the security guards escorted the three young men away from the jetty. Once the guards had returned and the walkway was secured, the crew member notified the Bridge that they were ready to go, and Rhol stood on the side near the door watching the three young men being questioned by the police.

After a few handshakes and pats on the back from classmates, Rhol made his way to the Restaurant lounge where there is a back staircase leading up to the Sundeck, and he found the band members were doing warm-up vocal practice, and they stopped when he walked in.

Rhol was told that Devon had a mobile phone jamming device, which the captain has on the bridge to stop any unwanted early publicity of them being there, and Rhol smiled wishing he had thought of that, as he sat down on the lounge and the band members did the same.

“How would you guys like to do a real big launch of the band, tomorrow, a free concert say at about 3 pm, performed from the sundeck of this vessel, with the audience being 50 metres away on the foreshore at Sir James Mitchell Park, South Perth. People on the city side would be able to hear as will those in Kings Park, I know it is short notice but I’m sure we can organise it in time” Jordan said with a big smile.

“Is that any way possible? I mean the logistics of having a large crowd at such short notice is almost impossible” Devon said, and Jordan smiled, “Yes it would be, but I have already started on that a day ago, under the smokescreen of a free community concert, not revealing who the performers are.

I have already had agreement with the City of Perth and the City of South Perth, Police and emergency services have been notified, portable toilets, first-aid posts and barrier fencing along the foreshore on both sides have been organised and will be put up first thing in the morning, traffic and parking controls are also in place for this event, with all local radio stations making announcements, giving information on what roads are closed and what diversions are in place.

All we have to do is to promote it on social media tomorrow morning, with the help of the students of the graduation ball, once they are off the vessel, on land, and they have internet and mobile access again.

I’m sure that the word will spread like wildfire of the new band known as Celtic Lads, with 4 of the 6 members being former members of EQD, all we have to do is set up a Facebook page for Celtic Lads and we are all prepared” Jordan said, and the band members just laughed.

Jordan my friend, you would make a great band manager, but sadly we already have one and she is on her way to Perth as we speak, she will be here in time for this wonderful launch concert you have organised for us” Devon said, and they started to chat about what to do with their Facebook page.

With Rhol grabbing his laptop from the office, the band quickly set up their Facebook account, but made it very basic and with no photos or information, until they are ready to launch at the end of the night when the graduation Ball guests are leaving at 11 pm when the vessel is moored at the jetty again.

At 7.30pm the DJ stopped playing his music as requested by Rhol, and the headmaster asked all Graduation Ball guests to make their way up to the sundeck for a special announcement.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, as you may now be aware thanks to an altercation before we left the jetty, not only am I a fellow graduate of this fine school, but I am the owner of this vessel and your host…” Rhol said and he took a moment to let his classmates let that sink in for those who missed out on seeing or hearing about it.

“It gives me the greatest pleasure, to introduce to you a brand-new band that you have the privilege of being the first to hear their music, but this is not just a new band, as some members of this band are from a former band.

I will let you work that bit out on your own, so now with no more delay let me welcome the Celtic Lads - Amos, Flynn, Thomas, James David and Devon” Rhol announce excitedly, and the applause was half-enthusiastic, but that changed suddenly as the 4 former members of EQD appeared behind the twins, and the applause grew very loud as did the screams of excitement, as the music began.

“Thank you, it is great to be back on stage, my name is Devon and you know my former bandmates, so let me introduce the last two members of the new band, Amos and Flynn, my younger twin brothers” Devon said into the microphone, and as the applause continued the band started to play, and the first song they had selected to play was – Storm.

Copyright August 2019 Preston Wigglesworth, All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 21
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Brilliant chapter I really hope that things go well, I am sad that there is only 1 more chapter. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Awesome chapter. I hope the launch of the new band and graduation party go well. Shame there’s only one more chapter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, davewri said:

Cell phone jamming is highly illegal.

While 'Active Jamming' is illegal in many countries, 'Passive Blocking' may be allowable under certain circumstances, including security, safety etc. "Australia: Illegal to operate, supply or possess unless the user has a PMTS C telecommunications licence under the Radiocommunications (Interpretation) Determination 2000."

Another great chapter, looking forward to next, (hopefully NOT last) and then an epilogue or two.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Is the band Gaelic Lads or Celtic Lads as you have both names in one paragraph? 

A great story 

  • Wow 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Bft said:

Is the band Gaelic Lads or Celtic Lads as you have both names in one paragraph? 

A great story 

Fixed

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..